Spyder Garage

Default embedded garage door remote

Ok, so I am going to try to wire in a button and embed my garage door remote. The remote is an Overhead Door and takes an A23 12v battery... I would assume that since it takes a 12v battery, I can simply wire it to to a mildly fused 12v line from the battery on the Spyder and it should be fine right? has anyone tried that? Mainly I am worried about frying the remote...
    2017 Can Am Commander Limited
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Black Diamond
    2020 F3 Limited Magma Red (miss the 2011 Viper red)
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    Ok, so I am going to try to wire in a button and embed my garage door remote. The remote is an Overhead Door and takes an A23 12v battery... I would assume that since it takes a 12v battery, I can simply wire it to to a mildly fused 12v line from the battery on the Spyder and it should be fine right? has anyone tried that? Mainly I am worried about frying the remote...
    Why use the Spyder power ??? Wire your button directly across the contacts of the remote, and bury the remote behind the instrument cluster.
    opener.jpg

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    Here's the thing, 12 volts DC is 12 volts DC however it's the current that would concern me upon malfunction of the remote, if any? An A23 12volt battery is actually 7 button(watch style) batteries in a cyndrical package in series.
    They only cost around a buck a piece so I just can't understand why you would want to modify your garage door remote to your 12 volt system of your Spyder. But that being said it would work!
    My advice....carry a spare A23 if your worried about being without power someday!
    Best of luck!!!

Regards,
    Kevin
    ​KMORT44

Spyder Garage

Basically looking to wire it to the Spyder power to avoid having to rip the tupperware off to change a battery. The remote will need to be buried somewhere waterproof. I thought about getting an in-line A23 battery holder and wiring that in but then I was like hey, it's 12v anyway so why not wire it in permanent and fuhgeddaboudit. Current wise, I will need to put in a modest fuse that is just over the draw incase something goes wacky, probably .05 amp or something... that I might have to experiment with. Thanks for the reassurance on not burning it out.
    Last edited by jwulf74; 08-21-2013 at 10:54 PM.
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

This is a link showing my auto garage door opener

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Spyder Garage

That is too funny!
    Made a good start to my day, thanks.

2012 RS SE5
    Mods:

Oxford Hot Grips
    Bad Boy Air Horn
    Two Brothers Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    LED mud flap lights
    Tips Kit
    Brake Light Modulator
    IPS Key Cover
    Up/out mirror Extensions
    RSS stitched seat cover
    Cal Sci touring windshield
    5 spoke wheel upgrade
    Ram mount Iphone cradle
    LED turn signal indicators
    Frunk Liner
    BRP 12 Volt Outlet
    Third brake light
    Double Play tail light

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is this going in your RT?
    I just cut a recess into the "felt" liner of the glovebox, and stuck mine in there... Easy-peasy!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I bought a keychain remote for our door... It has been in the spyder for two years on the same battery... still works... I also hid mine behind the cluster with a remote button.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Be aware of potential back EMF from the starter. I've seen a few radios fried that way when they were connected directly to the battery.

Ride safe,
    Curt Givens KC8STE
    Dayton, OH - Home of Hamvention
    MOLON LABE
    2012 Viper Red RT-S
    Center tail/brake light
    Mud flap run/ts
    Fender bright sides
    LED Tip lights
    Rivco Flag holder on trunk
    BRP Hitch
    Piggybacker XL Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Hidden Garage Door Remote

Here's what I did on my mini garage door remote....I have a 2012 RT, and this won't appeal to everyone, but I didn't want to have a button on the dash....I wanted a "hidden" button. You have to bend down to press the button, but if you didn't know it was there you'd never see it!

Pretty easy installation....I took the side cover off that you need off to check the oil. If you turn it over, you will see a small screw that holds on the chrome "Can-Am" logo. There is enough room in the cavity of the chrome accent to install the mini remote.

First off, it's a Genie mini remote. I took it apart (one screw), and soldered two wires on the backside of the IC board. The wires connect to the "large" button. I drilled a hole to install the pushbutton on the bottom of the chrome accent piece, installed the pushbutton and then soldered the other ends of the wires to a momentary single pole pushbutton. (Radio Shack for about $4.00)

Before reassembly, I removed the rubber button from the remote, so there is no way for it to get pinched or accidentally pressed when I reinstalled the panel. I used velcro to hold the mini remote in the cavity.

I've had this on for over 4 months and ridden in some fairly heavy rain with no issues. Works good and is still easy to get to when the battery needs changing.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by stallion143; 08-25-2013 at 06:06 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Outstanding!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Techno-Spyder, that was very funny, love that British humor. Monty live on!

Spyder Garage

Stallion. That is pretty slick. Had not thought of anything like that.

I did get mine done and will try to get pics up. I need to go back in and throw a relay on it though so it is only active when the key is on. The Mrs wasn't too keen on having the thing always powered in case we parked outside by the house and anyone got button happy on the spyder in our absence. I guess she has a valid concern about the garage door being able to be opened it easily if we did park outside.

I did remind her of garage rule #1... vehicles always go in the garage. It's not for storage. It is a super rare occurance for us to park outside the garage and leave anything unattended, but if all it takes is a relay to keep her happy, I can handle that.
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

Here is how I mounted my garage door opener: Libby's Mods

The best part is nobody has ever noticed the button under the dash. It's also been over a year since I installed it and I've not had to replace the battery yet.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Spyder View Post
    This is a link showing my auto garage door opener

I'm getting one in the morning.

Spyder Garage

Here are my pictures finally. Basically I soldered in power and switch wires. I also got a "sort of" factory match button that is lighted and dual pole. The "down" (thin red light side) is for the garage door remote. It is velcroed in above the air cleaner in that little bump up spot so it is out of the way, but can be removed if necessary. I will be adding a relay on the power feed so it will only operate when the key is on. Probably do that this weekend. The "up" button (big red lighted part) will be for a secondary heat extraction fan that I am planning on adding.

I just wanted to wire once so as not to have to rip that part out again. I also pre-wired for the Stebel Nautilis while I was in there. That arrived yesterday and will go in this weekend as well. Ultimately I would have liked to find a blue switch set, but that doesn't seem to exist in the switch type I got. The rocker can be changed out if they ever make one though.

IMG_5952.JPGIMG_5955.JPGIMG_5957.jpgIMG_5960.JPG
    2010 RT622 - Black

Spyder Garage

I bought a Flash2Pass system. It monitors your high beams signal and if you flash the high beams twice it transmits a code to the garage door opener... no extra buttons.

Its very slick, its one of my favorite upgrades to the Spyder and you can't even see it

Current Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2015 Spyder F3-S with Heated Handle Grips, Gauge Spoiler, Fog Lights, 12V port, Akrapovic Exhaust, Driver and Passenger Backrests

Previous Spyder:
    "Can-Am Red"/Black 2012 Spyder RS-S with Can-Am Comfort Seat, Comfort Grips, Rigid Saddle Bags, HID lights, Fog Lghts, 12V Accessory port, Trunk Liner, Hindle exhaust, Flash2Pass, SpyderPops BumpSkid, Side Grilles, Missing Air Dam, Air Management System, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

Spyder Garage

Default Hidden garage door remote

Quote Originally Posted by stallion143 View Post
    Here's what I did on my mini garage door remote....I have a 2012 RT, and this won't appeal to everyone, but I didn't want to have a button on the dash....I wanted a "hidden" button. You have to bend down to press the button, but if you didn't know it was there you'd never see it!

Pretty easy installation....I took the side cover off that you need off to check the oil. If you turn it over, you will see a small screw that holds on the chrome "Can-Am" logo. There is enough room in the cavity of the chrome accent to install the mini remote.

First off, it's a Genie mini remote. I took it apart (one screw), and soldered two wires on the backside of the IC board. The wires connect to the "large" button. I drilled a hole to install the pushbutton on the bottom of the chrome accent piece, installed the pushbutton and then soldered the other ends of the wires to a momentary single pole pushbutton. (Radio Shack for about $4.00)

Before reassembly, I removed the rubber button from the remote, so there is no way for it to get pinched or accidentally pressed when I reinstalled the panel. I used velcro to hold the mini remote in the cavity.

I've had this on for over 4 months and ridden in some fairly heavy rain with no issues. Works good and is still easy to get to when the battery needs changing.

Hope this helps!
    Thanks for the great idea. I completed mine tonight after reading your idea. It's done and works great. I was lucky and had all parts at my home. More room in my center glove box now!!
    Happy and safe rydin'
    2014 Spyder RT Limited - January 2014, Cognac/Black Seat, #958, born on 1-8-14
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac