Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default CBC News - Winnipeg man parks 3 wheeled motor bike...

Was watching the local news tonight when a story was aired about a guy in Winnipeg who was complaining about safety and quality issues with his Spyder. I know that BRP has had several Spyder recalls over the years of production and to my knowledge all have been addressed. They also showed video of a Spyder on fire at the end of the segment just for icing on the cake drama.

I just purchased a new 2012 RSS last week after lots of research including the SL forum and a test ride. My conclusion was all major issues have been addressed and there was just as much risk purchasing a new Spyder as any other modern open air/wheel motor vehicle (motorcycle). I was disappointed that CBC decided to run this seemly biased story without more research and perspective from other ryders. The Boss was also watching the story and said 'you knew about this before you bought right?'. The whole thing just pissed me off.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...ues-iteam.html
    Last edited by xinu; 08-19-2013 at 06:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

It has been said many times in many ways so here is one: Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.
    Or kind change the way it is presented.
    A USSR newsperson comenting on a race. The American car finished next to last, while the USSR car finished second. He did not mention the fact there were only two cars in the race.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

You'd be surprised how many recalls every manufacturer in the world has each year.

Some, like Toyota, are very very good at hiding most of them.

Spyder Garage

That pisses me off too!

Think the guy in Winnipeg had an axe to grind with his dealership,

And CBC did what news stations do best, turn it into a Henny Penny "The sky is falling!" story.

Sheesh!
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Wow. Quite an indictment for BRP and the Spyder. Researched Safecars.gov. Interesting reading. Not good PR that's for sure, especially in their home country.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default Mike Holmes bought one

I remember reading somewhere that Mike Holmes, who is well known in Canada for his home improvement TV shows where he fixes shoddy workmanship and structure design issues for unfortunate home owners that hooked up with crooked contractors, rydes a spectacular Spyder LT with trailer. I would think he would be the last person to purchase POS technology. I hope BRP is pushing their PR people to strengthen their image as a safe, trouble free and fun ryde.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome, I think you will really enjoy your 2012 RS despite what your local news may think.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

The only real word I can think of to describe it is "irresponsible!" Summing up unrelated recalls, of which only a portion actually apply to the owner's Spyder, smelling fuel fumes with your nose a few inches from the atmospheric vent, brake failures that were unexplained and could readily have been for low fluid and the owner's failure to check it properly. Buyer's remorse at its worst...and journalism that manufatures its own news. It is a sad, sad world we live in!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The only real word I can think of to describe it is "irresponsible!" Summing up unrelated recalls, of which only a portion actually apply to the owner's Spyder, smelling fuel fumes with your nose a few inches from the atmospheric vent, brake failures that were unexplained and could readily have been for low fluid and the owner's failure to check it properly. Buyer's remorse at its worst...and journalism that manufatures its own news. It is a sad, sad world we live in!
    Sensationalism at it's worst. Shame on you CBC!!!

Spyder Garage

I am also surprised that the station published such a story. There have been problems, but not all those problems on all 's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default I love my Spyder but............

One thing to remember the CBC is our government funded and operated national network. Since it is not hockey season, no real panic the 7 people that were watching most likely were not going to be Spyder owners in the future. I agree the article or segment was composed in a manner which reported one side of the saga. But one thing I would suggest is that I believe if BRP were to look back at their Spyder track record of performance and product launch and product redesign or even vendor quality control issues I think they would agree they have made more than 1 or 2 mistakes. When you make these mistakes you do open yourself up and your critics will attack. BRP needs to self reflect as every company should, appreciate where improvement is needed and then address the weak area's. Once fixed several years of being the "best of the best" will make the detractors disappear.
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    It has been said many times in many ways so here is one: Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.
    Or kind change the way it is presented.
    A USSR newsperson comenting on a race. The American car finished next to last, while the USSR car finished second. He did not mention the fact there were only two cars in the race.
    Oldmanzues
    My dog took 2 first place ribbons this weekend, only him & another dog in each class. Both ribbons sure look great on the wall to anybody else that looks at them - to me not so much.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybob View Post
    My dog took 2 first place ribbons this weekend, only him & another dog in each class. Both ribbons sure look great on the wall to anybody else that looks at them - to me not so much.
    Congrats......................
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Good choice in rides! Though I'm biased..........................

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyryder View Post
    Sensationalism at it's worst. Shame on you CBC!!!
    That fellow in the interview was just seeking a refund, did not stress fixing any problems, he spoke about refunds more.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From now on; I'm not going ANYWHERE without a couple of bags of marshmallows!!
    That crybaby is just looking for his 15 minutes...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In a way CBC is doing us owners in the long run. Getting media attention might be one way to move things a bit faster. JMHO.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

I don't agree with the way this story was presented but most, if not all of the issues listed have been real for some Spyder owners. Over what seems like a very long time, BRP has addressed the issues. Some with success, some not so much. That said, none of these issues should ever have reached the consumer if BRP had done proper development, testing and qualification. Also, there is a great deal of talk on this forum about BRP and their indifferent attitude towards their customers. My personal experience with dealing directly with BRP would mirror the opinion that they are very arrogant and indifferent.

I have been quite happy with my 2012 RT with two exceptions. One issue was with the clutch not engaging on a very warm day and in a lot of stop and go traffic. The other was with their advertising and their refusal to take responsibly for what they has said.

Nothing will always be trouble free but most of the Spyder issues seem to be much more related to design deficiencies than assembly or dealer issues.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by condorflysu View Post
    That fellow in the interview was just seeking a refund, did not stress fixing any problems, he spoke about refunds more.
    If memory serves (), he made two different statements about refunds.

: BRP should take all these defective machines back

: BRP should give everyone a refund of their money.

He was definately seeking a refund from BRP as opposed to getting any issues fixed. Just suprises me that the TV station went along with the piece.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did you guys notice who was in that video???
    (hint: he's pretty well-known in here...)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Did you guys notice who was in that video???
    (hint: he's pretty well-known in here...)
    I watched the video again--who are we talking about? The person taking the picture at the BRP Event fire?

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's not the one that I'm thinking about...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    That's not the one that I'm thinking about...
    (seems appropriate here? )

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flanker View Post
    Good choice in rides! Though I'm biased..........................
    Same Here, good idea on the ryde. Sounds to me like there is going to be another manufacturer rntering the game and maybe they need for BRP to have some bad press???? I know it sounds steep, but I bet I could get a news crew on it if I had a video of a businessman with his hair on fire, punching himself in the head in a vain attempt to put out the flames.

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

You know what? Count me in the happy camp.

Every. Single. Day. on this forum we're reading owner complaints about the Spyder. While we can take some of them with a grain of salt-- and be happy for those, like me, who have never had a complaint to speak of-- there are obviously issues with the Spyder. Minor ones, mostly, but some that may, MAY, be major. Like, fire-producing major.

So, what do you think is going to get BRP to take action? Gripes on an online forum? Or old-fashioned muckraking press?

Sensationalist it may be-- what "journalism" isn't these days?-- I guarantee that stuff like this gets more attention from BRP than most anything we have ever written here. *No* company can afford bad media like this, nor will they if they can take steps to avoid it in the future.

I love my Spyder. But I want *everyone* to love their Spyder like I do. Seems to me that can only be accomplished when BRP takes the most serious complaints seriously.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!