Thread: Helmets

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmets

Ok we have a little problem. What to do with two helmets with our 2013 RT LTD. we can get one in the Frunk (full face Arai Helmets) but can't find a good place for the other one. Tried locking one under the seat but gouged the finish on the side by the seat. What are some great ways to secure helmets to the RT?

Thanks.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Get two half helmets - both will fit in the frunk. End of problem...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

we use 3/4 helmets and if you manuever them properly they fit in the frunk, with that said I also scratched the tupperware using the under seat hook (won't use that anymore), there is a license plate bracket that will allow you to lock two helmets (one on each side), some helmets will also fit in the larger side saddlebag. I am sure some other folks will come up with some other suggestions.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Get two half helmets - both will fit in the frunk. End of problem...

You should be able to fit a full face helmet in the right hand saddle bag - depending on how large the helmet is and whether there is a comm system sticking out of it. Check out KewlMetal (site sponsor), they have helmet locks that are installed on the ends of the hand grips. You secure your helmet using the D rings. I've heard some good and bad things about this product, but mostly good. I've seen riders use cables to secure their helmets to the handlebars. I have a Utopia backrest and have secured my helmet to the bracket using a long shank lock (think of a very tall U).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Ok we have a little problem. What to do with two helmets with our 2013 RT LTD. we can get one in the Frunk (full face Arai Helmets) but can't find a good place for the other one. Tried locking one under the seat but gouged the finish on the side by the seat. What are some great ways to secure helmets to the RT?

Thanks.
    Back when my husband and I rode the RT together, his full-face Arai went into the Frunk but couldn't fit mine in the saddlebag because of comm plug. For short stops, locked mine onto the back seat with a heavy gauge nylon wrapped cord with built-in combination lock --- linked it through the D ring and the passenger grab bar. Also put helmet inside a helmet bag.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydherLuv View Post

You should be able to fit a full face helmet in the right hand saddle bag - depending on how large the helmet is and whether there is a comm system sticking out of it. Check out KewlMetal (site sponsor), they have helmet locks that are installed on the ends of the hand grips. You secure your helmet using the D rings. I've heard some good and bad things about this product, but mostly good. I've seen riders use cables to secure their helmets to the handlebars. I have a Utopia backrest and have secured my helmet to the bracket using a long shank lock (think of a very tall U).
    We will try the right side bag, but we do have a comm system on the side of the helmet though. The Kewl Metal ones look good a little pricey and I am sure I will screw up the throttle mechanism.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

YOu can put a helmet in the rear saddlebags if you lay them in on their side...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see..!!

On our RS we can get both modular full face helmets with scala G9 in with light jackets if the frunk is empty. If not one goes in and the other is locked to the rear seat section with a kryptonite retractable cable lock. If the frunk is full both go one the seat. They also make a T extension for the D rings making it easier to lock under the seat...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

We will try the right side bag, but we do have a comm system on the side of the helmet though. The Kewl Metal ones look good a little pricey and I am sure I will screw up the throttle mechanism.
    If you only need one lock for the helmet, then you can get away with only installing on the left hand grip. One of the guys in our riding group was also a little leery of installing the lock on the throttle side and ended up putting the lock on the left grip. We have a meeting tomorrow night and you are welcome to join us and ask others about the different ways of securing their helmets.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydherLuv View Post
    If you only need one lock for the helmet, then you can get away with only installing on the left hand grip. One of the guys in our riding group was also a little leery of installing the lock on the throttle side and ended up putting the lock on the left grip. We have a meeting tomorrow night and you are welcome to join us and ask others about the different ways of securing their helmets.
    See you tomorrow!

Spyder Garage

If nothing else, lay them on the seat and use a small retractable cable lock like the PacSafe, looped through the helmet eye opening or D-rings and the passenger grab bar(s).
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

wife and I use gun locks via the d-ring on the helmets and run them throw the rear hand grips.
    2012 Spyder RT-SE5 Gray 5-31-12 First 5,075 miles on 10-8-12
    NBV kit highway brackets with pegs Bajaron sway bar Lave exh wrap
    Grip Buddies AirHawk 2 His & Her's Walmart Front driving lights
    Spyderpops upper block off plate, belt guard, bump Skid
    BRP
    trailer hitch Napa 6 to 4 wire power converter Ram GPS upper dash
    Baker build air wings the New 3 piece full set Kewl Metal GPS hand bar
    Inspector Gadgets rear mudd flap type, Air deflectors upper & lower A-frame

Spyder Garage

Default Kewlmetal locks

I have the Kewlmetal helmet locks on my 2011 RTS. No problem with the throttle, just follow the instructions and don't twist the throttle while you have the end caps off. I have to use the extension to lock with the d-rings. Works well and looks even better.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder Smyles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ht=helmet+lock. I recently added the Dual Guardian Helmet Lock to my RT-S. This gives me the advantage of hanging 2 helmets securely in the event my frunk and trunk are full. Check out the thread to see pics.
    CURRENT: 2015 Yellow RT-S SE6 "Smiling All the Way"
    CB, Satelite Radio, BRP Vented Windshield, BRP Adjustable Handwings, Cup Holder, EZ Pass Holder, Side Saddle Cargo Nets, Smiley Face FLO, Smiley Flower Face Decals, Tri Axel Handlebar's, Corbin Heated Seat, Baker Built Upper/Lower Air Wings, BumpSkid, High Third Brake/Running Light, Brake/Running Light/Turn Signal License Plate, Turn Signals in Mirrors.

PAST: 2013 Yellow RT-S SE5 - Loaded with lots of goodies.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet

My wife puts her full face helmet in the side saddle.

Spyder Garage

We put both modulars in the front on the RT 11. Put the first one in top of helmet down first. The second one goes on top opening down to match the first one.
    Now, the shell size of the helmet could effect this, we have 2 schuberths, one is a large and one a small. One can def. fit in the side bag also.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We've got Scalarider hardware hanging off the side of our helmets... no problems!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by unclejay View Post
    The choices of helmets. We have half face helmets which are great for every other accident ( only the ones where you dont land face down) and we have modular helmets which are great if you like to pick broken plastic out of your eyes. The OP has an Arai full face. Good move.

worked in hospitals. Its an ugly scene. A face plant at 60 mph means no face left and no face lift.
    In my eyes there is only one reason to wear a helmet and that is safety, so we went with the Arai and they only make full face helmets, and GOOD NEWS, thanks to all of your suggestions, one of them does fit int the right side sadle bag. Thanks all for the suggestions.

Spyder Garage

We just leave them sitting on the seat unless we are in a bad neighborhood then we take them in with us.Never lost a helmet in 40+ years.I have been sorta hopping someone would take mine,I could use a new one.

Spyder Garage

My wife and I both have Shoei RF1100 full face helmets. Mine goes in the frunk and hers goes in the right saddle bag. I've also put a full face helmet in the left saddle bag, though it's tight.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Default We utilize this method and it

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    If nothing else, lay them on the seat and use a small retractable cable lock like the PacSafe, looped through the helmet eye opening or D-rings and the passenger grab bar(s).
    works excellent...
    Lets ride!!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    My wife and I both have Shoei RF1100 full face helmets. Mine goes in the frunk and hers goes in the right saddle bag. I've also put a full face helmet in the left saddle bag, though it's tight.
    Yep, I was amazed that the right saddlebag was so much bigger than the left. I guess I should have figured that out by looking at the luggage, the right bag is bigger than the left. So we now have one in the Frunk and one in the right.
    Last edited by Pirate looks at --; 08-20-2013 at 12:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

Kewl Metal handle bar helmet locks work great as long as it isn't raining and then your helmets become buckets. There is a helmet cable, that I bought from a local bike shop, and it keep to helmets sideways. Not as pretty as Kewl Metals but as effective.