Thread: Fuel guage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Fuel guage

I am soon to purchase an RT limited and i am planning on riding long distances on it. I have read that the analogue fuel guage is poor at giving an accurate reading. Please can some of you help me with regards to the distance that i can expect to get between fill ups? Am i asking too much to expect 200 miles from the 25litre fuel tank?

Thanks in advance for any help

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Criponatrip1 View Post
    I am soon to purchase an RT limited and i am planning on riding long distances on it. I have read that the analogue fuel guage is poor at giving an accurate reading. Please can some of you help me with regards to the distance that i can expect to get between fill ups? Am i asking too much to expect 200 miles from the 25litre fuel tank?

Thanks in advance for any help

My math (which isn't the best) calculates that you will have about 23 useable liters of fuel. This is based on the fact that there are about 6 US gallons of useable fuel available on the Spyder RT.

200 miles is pretty optimistic. I would say that 135-140 miles would be the top end and the time that you need to be thinking of topping up.
    Last edited by Pennyrick; 08-18-2013 at 11:21 AM.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    My math (which isn't the best) calculates that you will have about 23 useable liters of fuel. This is based on the fact that there are about 6 US gallons of useable fuel available on the Spyder RT.

200 miles is pretty optimistic. I would say that 135-140 miles would be the top end and the time that you need to be thinking of topping up.
    Thanks

we are looking at about 30mpg then. I have to ask as fuel is very expensive in the UK but its still not going to stop me getting one

Spyder Garage

Default 4 things

I have found that 4 things happen at about the same time
    1. My butt gets numb
    2. I need to use the restroom
    3. I need to re-hydrate
    4. I need gas

This all happens at around 130 - 140 miles
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2Paw View Post
    I have found that 4 things happen at about the same time
    1. My butt gets numb
    2. I need to use the restroom
    3. I need to re-hydrate
    4. I need gas

This all happens at around 130 - 140 miles
    Fantastic reply thank you

Spyder Garage

Your mileage is going to depend on the local fuel mix, climatic conditions, speed, topography, windshield height, accessories, passengers, and it also varies from Spyder to Spyder. You can expect 25-35 mpg (or the metric equivalent). I tell people that I can get 30 if I hold my mouth right. I have averaged 28 since I have owned this Spyder...much of that two-up with a trailer. I typically see the fuel light at about 120 miles of freeway riding...that's 4.5 gallons of fuel expended. I have stretched to 150 miles, but it makes me squirm. I have also been worried as low as 100, under some conditions. Figure roughly 30 mpg, learn how your particular gauge acts, and what your Spyder drinks under different conditions, and act accordingly.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Scotty's dead on. My low fuel light comes on at 4.5 gal expended. So far, I've only run it to 5.0 gal expended. Much more than that and the pucker factor gets too high for me. The analog fuel gauge is not very accurate, but luckily it errs on the safe side.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Default gas milage

Here in Ohio You are never more than 20 or 30 miles from a station but in the western states you could be 50 or 60 miles from the next station.On our last western trip,I saw a signe,next gas 60 miles.Looked down and saw the reserve light had just came on so I made a U-turn and went back and gassed up.I don't know how far I can go on reserve but I doubt that I can go 60 miles when you are only getting about 30 mpg.Has anybody on here let their spyder run out of gas just to see how far they could go after the reserve light comes on?

Spyder Garage

Post Run out of Gas!!

One of my first group rides about 2 years ago my fuel light came on at about 150 miles. No one else needed fuel so I continued on until everyone else stopped for lunch (about 185 miles total). After lunch we all fueled up After that, I started carrying a gallon with me in the left side. The next time that I saw the fuel light come on I had gone 155 miles. I wanted to go about 30 more miles and thought I could. I was not concerned because I had the 1 gallon back up. 23 miles later the Spyder stopped. I coasted to a wide spot and put in my reserve. On long trips we alway ride double, so now I know for sure that I need to stop at about 150 miles so that I don't have to use the reserve.

When all is said and done......well it must be time to ride~
    2 Stricklands, Steve & Barb
    2011 RT AC, SE5
    Trailer for Travel and/or Golf Clubs
    Power outlet up Front
    Floorboards
    Voltmeter replacing old gas gauge
    Oil Pressure gauge replacing old temp gauge
    Turn Signals on mirrors

]

Spyder Garage

I recommend refueling at about 130 miles or so. My 's consistantly get 30 mpg so at 150 they take about 5 gals. I also recommend zeroing a tripmeter at each fill so you can keep track of your miles that way. The low fuel light seems to come on at varying miles on different 's. Mine comes on around 145 miles into the trip.

If you are driving in an area where gas stations are few and far between, don't feel bad about getting gas earler when you find it. It gives you a good rest and a stretch from the ride.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Criponatrip1 View Post
    We are looking at about 30 mpg then. I have to ask as fuel is very expensive in the UK but its still not going to stop me getting one
    Thirty (30) is about what you get on an average. There are other posts about gas mileage. I included all my mileage up to several weeks ago in a post.

CLICK HERE to see my mileage report.

I understand that gas is can be expensive. We have been paying between $3.50 and $4.00 this year for premium in the States. Prices vary depending on where you live. I live in Ohio, USA.

Capture.JPG
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 08-18-2013 at 04:09 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knarfoh View Post
    Thirty (30) is about what you get on an average. There are other posts about gas mileage. I included all my mileage up to several weeks ago in a post.

CLICK HERE to see my mileage report.

I understand that gas is can be expensive. We have been paying between $3.50 and $4.00 for premium in the States.

Capture.JPG
    We can only dream about prices that low here it is £6:00 a gallon thats between $9 and $10

Spyder Garage

if its a 2012, ask the sales people if the unit has the new fuel gauge installed

the original gauge had a 'bouncing' problem but BRP did a recall that replaced the gauge and updated the software so the gauge is much more accurate

but as others have said, your mileage will vary based on a number of things from windshield up or down, when you shift gears (rpm), etc, etc, etc

the best mileage I have gotten was 36 mpg, the worst was around 27mpg
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hi Criponatrip1,
    I to hail from the UK, and much of the information given previously is bang on, however just remember there is a difference between a UK gallon and a US Gallon
    i would say you should be getting around 33-35 miles to a UK gallon (last week on a ful day of riding with 2 spyder a we were getting between 37 and 44 mpg)
    we have a forum in UK at www.ukspyderweb, it would be good to see you on that forum

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPedro View Post
    Hi Criponatrip1,
    I to hail from the UK, and much of the information given previously is bang on, however just remember there is a difference between a UK gallon and a US Gallon
    i would say you should be getting around 33-35 miles to a UK gallon (last week on a ful day of riding with 2 spyder a we were getting between 37 and 44 mpg)
    we have a forum in UK at www.ukspyderweb, it would be good to see you on that forum
    Many many thanks Peter i have looked at the UK Spyderweb page and will be far more active once i have the machine. i appreciate all the help from everyone.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I also recommend zeroing a tripmeter at each fill so you can keep track of your miles that way. The low fuel light seems to come on at varying miles on different 's.
    If you are driving in an area where gas stations are few and far between, don't feel bad about getting gas earler when you find it. It gives you a good rest and a stretch from the ride.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment