Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default What brand of oil do you use?

My spyder was a bit low on oil (first time). So went to the dealership and paid 16$ for a quart of BRP oil. I know, shame on me, I knew better. What synthetic brand do you use in your spyder?

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

I use BRP's oil but I don't get it from the dealer. I order the oil change kits online and they come with an extra Qt. But I see most are using Amsoil. There are others as long as they meet the spec's in your manual...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Amsoil 10-40 synthetic motorcycle oil. I buy through Bajaron on this site. He has filters and other items we use often. I do not know Ron and have no interest in the Amsoil company....I just like their products and Ron's friendly, great service.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaddySniper View Post
    My spyder was a bit low on oil (first time). So went to the dealership and paid 16$ for a quart of BRP oil. I know, shame on me, I knew better. What synthetic brand do you use in your spyder?
    BRP Full Synthetic Oil.. dealer usually give a 10-20% discount on Oil & Parts

Spyder Garage

I bought a BRP oil change kit from E-Bay.$65 for 5 qts. ,oil filter,new sized tranny filter and free shipping.
    2011 RT LTD. Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have used Amsoil Motorcycle oil. I have used their products for 10 years in all my equipment at
    work. I maintain a fleet of machines from a weed eater to a track hoe 250 machines small engines
    to 65 horse diesels used daily. My machines run cooler and internally are very clean. All that being
    said. My new spyder has the BRP synthetic in it now I have one year left on my service program and BRP
    synthetic is part of the deal. I believe that both are good products I have done independent samples tests
    on both and the results are both very good. Find a good price on line and run with it.
    Good Luck Dean

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Brand of oil

I use Spectro Platinum 4 full syn 13 dollars a quart buy it by the case from Performanceoils.com.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Went into my local O'Reilly's the other day and there were several full synthetic 10W40 motorcycle oils. I got a quart of Castrol for $9.69.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Last purchase was for four quarts of BRP oil through Amazon.com for $43 to include shipping.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I do the BRP kits for $56. It comes with 5 quarts of oil, filter and o-rings and washers.
    This is enough to do the oil change and still have enough left over to top off in between changes if needed....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I use Valvoline 4T 10W-40 full synthetic motorcycle specific oil which is widely available such as at Walmart, Autozone, etc. at $8-9 per quart.

Mike
    Idaho
    www.rtwrider.net

Spyder Garage

Default oil

Compare Side-by-Side: Best Synthetic Oil

Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic Motor Oil AMSOIL 100% Synthetic Motor Oil Castrol Edge with Syntec Technology Full Synthetic Motor Oil Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil
    Price $34.90 - $36.99 $36.01
    Why it's Best Pennzoil Platinum performs well, is easy to find at retail locations, and costs much less than... Read More AMSOIL synthetic motor oil is quite expensive nearly double the price of Pennzoil Platinum but offers... Read More Castrol's synthetic oils are recommended by many manufacturers and mechanics. Formerly known as Castrol... Read More When you think of synthetic oil, Mobil 1 is probably the first thing that comes to mind. Mobil 1 is the... Read More

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by willey View Post

Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic Motor Oil AMSOIL 100% Synthetic Motor Oil Castrol Edge with Syntec Technology Full Synthetic Motor Oil Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil
    Why it's Best Pennzoil Platinum performs well, is easy to find at retail locations, and costs much less than... Read More AMSOIL synthetic motor oil is quite expensive nearly double the price of Pennzoil Platinum but offers... Read More Castrol's synthetic oils are recommended by many manufacturers and mechanics. Formerly known as Castrol... Read More When you think of synthetic oil, Mobil 1 is probably the first thing that comes to mind. Mobil 1 is the... Read More
    These oils, while top notch products, do not meet the BRP spec of a semi-synthetic or full synthetic motorcycle oil.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

This comparison is pretty generic and there are factors that are not taken into consideration, especially for our Spyders. If you get an oil that is not JASO MA2 rated you may be buying a clutch. Factor that into your per quart cost and it will be astronomical!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I have been using Mobil 1 in all of my 2 wheelers for years.3 of those bikes had over 100,000 miles on them.BUT this is my first Spyder and I sure don`t want to screw any thing up.The question here was what oil to use.I just looked at a bottle of Mobil 1, 4 cycle motorcycle oil.It says API SG,SH/CF JASO MA.It doesn`t say MA2.So this oil won`t work for the Spyder.Is BRP the only one that carries the MA2? If not,What other oils Have MA2? I have a lot to learn about the Spyder and I belive using the rite oil and filters is darn important.

Spyder Garage

I have been using Mobil 1 in all of my 2 wheelers for years.3 of those bikes had over 100,000 miles on them.BUT this is my first Spyder and I sure don`t want to screw any thing up.The question here was what oil to use.I just looked at a bottle of Mobil 1, 4 cycle motorcycle oil.It says API SG,SH/CF JASO MA.It doesn`t say MA2.So this oil won`t work for the Spyder.Is BRP the only one that carries the MA2? If not,What other oils Have MA2? I have a lot to learn about the Spyder and I belive using the rite oil and filters is darn important.
    There are a number of oils that are MA2. BRP uses Castrol which you can purchase off the shelf.

I use Amsoil. It is not only JASO MA2, but it is at the top of the MA2 spectrum. It doesn't foam (like many of the other oils), and it is a true synthetic motor oil, not just doctored mineral oil. You don't need to change it as often and I like that on long trips. But there are other alternatives out there. Especially if you change your oil at short intervals.

But if you change at short intervals your 'Per Quart' price is actually higher than using Amsoil for more miles. Not to mention filter costs and down time. Everyone has their priorities. Find an oil that fits the way you do things and you'll be happy.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1 and the usual versions of Amsoil are not JASO MA-2 compliant. These are automobile engine oils and are not for use in motorcycles.

Castrol Power RS Racing 4T oil is a full synthetic oil available in 5W40, 10W40 and 10W50 weights and is rated JASO MA-2 compliant ((http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7079435)

Amsoil MCFQT is a full synthetic 10W40 oil which is JASO MA-2 compliant. It's probably superior to the other MA-2 complaint oils. I like Amsoil. I use it for extended change intervals in my car and truck, both of which are out of warranty. I'm always concerned about extended change intervals while a vehicle is under warranty. If you have an engine or transmission problem and BRP sees you've been using extended drain intervals they are liable to deny your warranty claim.
    Last edited by OldCowboy; 08-18-2013 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Additional information

Silver Shadow

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Valvoline synthetic motorcycle oil "Meets or Exceeds API SF/SG/SJ, Meets or Exceeds JASO MA2" (quoting from Valvoline's website).

Ron, you refer to Amzoil being a "true synthetic motor oil" and not a "doctored mineral oil" as other oils are. It is my understanding that most synthetic oil base stocks begin as petroleum crude oil which is then subjected to a process that changes the molecular structure of the oil, a much different process than simple refining of crude oil, and allows it to be termed synthetic. Also, a few synthetic oils use a base stock that is pure vegetable oil, one of these being some Motul oils. So are you saying that Amzoil is somehow different than oil made using either of these two processes, and if so, how?

"It's probably superior to other MA-2 compliant oils," referring to Amzoil. Based on what data? And please lets not use Amzoils own testing results to support this. IMHO, only testing by independent testing agencies with no financial interest in any oil are acceptable for drawing conclusions as to what oils may be better.

Oil threads are always among the most popular on any motor vehicle forum, and I'm one of the most guilty in finding these interesting and absorbing, even though I sincerely doubt that there are any large differences in oils made by established oil companies that are appropriately rated for the type of vehicle they are being used in. I've changed the oil in my own autos and motorcycles for 57 and 45 years respectively (carefully observing the manufacturers recommendations), these consisting of dozens of vehicles, and in all those years I have not once experienced an oil related failure of any sort. So FWIW, it seems to me that we get too involved in this oil being better that that one, etc. etc. However, in saying that I do not mean to claim that meeting the rating standards set by a vehicle manufacturer are unimportant. Actually, I believe compliance with the ratings is much more important than the brand of oil. Just my 2 cents worth.

Mike
    www.rtwrider.net

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use the Castrol 10w40 synthetic motorcycle oil in my Vulcan and the Brp kit in my spyder.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question Blended OIl

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    Castrol Edge, Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1 and the usual versions of Amsoil are not JASO MA-2 compliant. These are automobile engine oils and are not for use in motorcycles.

Castrol Power RS Racing 4T oil is a full synthetic oil available in 5W40, 10W40 and 10W50 weights and is rated JASO MA-2 compliant ((http://www.castrol.com/castrol/secti...tentId=7079435)

Amsoil MCFQT is a full synthetic 10W40 oil which is JASO MA-2 compliant. It's probably superior to the other MA-2 complaint oils. I like Amsoil. I use it for extended change intervals in my car and truck, both of which are out of warranty. I'm always concerned about extended change intervals while a vehicle is under warranty. If you have an engine or transmission problem and BRP sees you've been using extended drain intervals they are liable to deny your warranty claim.
    I am anew spyder owner. I have been on a Goldwing for 7 years and other cycles for more. It is my understanding from my dealer that fully synthetic oils are not for the spyder due to clutch slippage. Did you guys decide to use the synthetics on your own, or did your dealers OK them. I really like and use synthetics in everything else I have.

Tallow98

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tallow98 View Post
    I am anew spyder owner. I have been on a Goldwing for 7 years and other cycles for more. It is my understanding from my dealer that fully synthetic oils are not for the spyder due to clutch slippage. Did you guys decide to use the synthetics on your own, or did your dealers OK them. I really like and use synthetics in everything else I have.

Tallow98
    The question is not full synthetic or not. The question is whether the oil is JASO MA-2 compliant. The synthetic oils made for automobiles have too many friction reducers for motorcycles. JASO MA-2 compliant oils do not have those friction reducers.
    Last edited by OldCowboy; 08-19-2013 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Correction

Silver Shadow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tallow98 View Post

Tallow98
    BRP OK's the use of full synthetic oils as long as they are motorcycle oils and do not carry an API SM classification. Look in your owners' manual for verification. I'd take that a step further and recommend that any full synthetic meet the JASO MA-2 classification, which is the most stringent regarding clutch slippage.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by liketoride2 View Post

.....Oil threads are always among the most popular on any motor vehicle forum, and I'm one of the most guilty in finding these interesting and absorbing, even though I sincerely doubt that there are any large differences in oils made by established oil companies that are appropriately rated for the type of vehicle they are being used in. I've changed the oil in my own autos and motorcycles for 57 and 45 years respectively (carefully observing the manufacturers recommendations), these consisting of dozens of vehicles, and in all those years I have not once experienced an oil related failure of any sort. So FWIW, it seems to me that we get too involved in this oil being better that that one, etc. etc. However, in saying that I do not mean to claim that meeting the rating standards set by a vehicle manufacturer are unimportant. Actually, I believe compliance with the ratings is much more important than the brand of oil. Just my 2 cents worth.

Mike
    www.rtwrider.net
    I've spent a lot of time on Bob Is The Oil Guy (http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php). In the opinion of many tribologists, today's oils are so good that even non-synthetic oils will protect engines for several hundred thousand miles, if changed according to the vehicle manufacturers recommendations. It is true that synthetic blends protect better in laboratory tests and full synthetic oils protect even better. But in real world applications, any oil meeting the vehicle manufactures recommendation will protect for the life of the engine.

The real advantage of Amsoil is that its additive package is stouter than most and this allows you to extend drain intervals. IMO, extending drain intervals in a vehicle under warranty is not a good idea as the vehicle manufacturer is liable to jump on this and deny a warranty claim. It is then up to you to prove them wrong in court.

Silver Shadow

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/4T_EV1105.pdf There I a lot of hoo-hah about JASO MA, MA-1, MA-2, and MB. There is a lot of parroting about AmSoil being the best, or only run BRP, or Castrol is the same and off the shelf. Bottom line, as an owner, run what gives you peace of mind. If you choose BRP, fine. If you choose AmSoil, fine. But manage by fact folks. Get a used oil analysis done. It's cheap, it tells you how the oil is holding up, and can help predict wear trends. And don't fall for the " I change my oil at 9000 miles because I run Brand X". Oil holds dirt and soot in suspension. Wear happens when the dirt particles are thicker than the oil film, and the oil film gets thinner over time. No matter what oil, it is being loaded with contaminates, and needs to be replaced at the proper interval. I've had a lot of bikes in 53 years. Veronica, my Spyder, is number 52 if I've counted correctly. I've changed a lot of oil, used a lot of brands. Clutches slip when the plates are worn and/or the springs are sacked out. I've just never experienced it any other way. Back in the day, Castrol 20w50 auto oil was the ticket for Honda in line fours. Forever, Suzuki 10w40 factory oil was nothing but Shell's Rotella T packaged in those bottles. (Yep I have personally seen the packaging line at the what used to be the Shell plant in Wood River, IL). I've used hundreds of gallons of Mobil 1 15w50 in wet clutch bikes, both the older red cap formula, and the new silver cap EP version. I currently have Schaeffer 5w50 in a GSXR that regularly sees red line, and has several drag strip passes on it. Their slug of MicronMoly and Penetro have zero effect on the clutch, but are doing a great job of protecting the cams and bearings. I'm currently running Liqui-Moly oil from Germany in Veronica..100 dollars got me 15 liters of the stuff delivered to my door. But when the time comes I'm out of the LM, I'll likely switch to Mobil 15w50 auto oil, and call it a day. The same engine in the Aprilia bike specs 15w50, and based on past experience, and many UOA to back it up, the stuff is well suited to hot running, does an incredible job of protecting valve trains, and is wet clutch friendly, even if Mobil didn't test for it. Read the link above.. the JASO specs overlap quite a bit between MA, and MA-1 and 2. Then decide if you need a 16 dollar a quart oil to feel good.

Spyder Garage

BRP can not deny warranty coverage based on the use of extended drain oil change intervals unless they can prove that that was the cause of the failure.. That is Federal Law covered by the Magneson moss Act. If a company makes a warranty based on the use of a specific oil, they have to provide the oil for free.. Also Federal Law and BRP knows all about that as AMSOIL took them to task over it with some of their other products.

In any case , AMSOIL has a limited warranty which covers your repairs should their oil be proven to be the cause of your failure..

Different issue: Scotty's chart shows automobile oils which vary in quality but also contain "Friction Modifiers". A wet clutches worst enemy.. Do not use any oil, petroleum or synthetic that is not Motorcle wet clutch rated. JASO MA/MA2. I also wonder about BRP oils. No JASO or any other kind of info printed on their labels.. I am sure they are ok to use or they wouldn't sell it..

My guess is, and I could be wrong, is that BRP OILS are made by the lowest bidder. Should the contract change hands it is reasonable to assume that the quality could Change also necessitating a reprint of the labels.. Expensive.

For me and my money, if it doesn't have the JASO, ISO, OR SAE information on the label, it doesn't go in any of my motors. I am sure the BRP oils are fine for the average individual but if you are meticulous about your oils, there are a lot better products out there.

I know a lot of folks reading this are going to poo poo a lot of what I say as I am the AMSOIL site sponsor. Let me say that there are a lot of reasons I became involved in AMSOIL. To many to mention here. A couple of reasons: The oils are formulated in Superior WI by a family owned business and shipped to your front door. I have seem numerous ASTM test comparisons over the years and nothing touches the quality of AMSOIL.

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post