Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accident

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knarfoh View Post
    On a long ride, I sometimes raise myself out of my seat for comfort reasons. I have no padding of my own. LOL. I have left my bike running and in neutral (SM5) for a quick dismount because I forgot something, but it is literally seconds and I am back. I don't think I would want a cut-off switch.

From some of these posts, it sounds like others routinely dismount their Spyders with the engine running? For me that is unusual, not routine.
    9 times out of 10 I Start the Bike to let warm up- then Put gear on - Helmet/Gloves/ stuff in the trunk- then get on & do the opposite when I end the Ryde mainly because the Fan is on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    9 times out of 10 I Start the Bike to let warm up- then Put gear on - Helmet/Gloves/ stuff in the trunk- then get on & do the opposite when I end the Ryde mainly because the Fan is on.

Glo Ryders {4 sets (Blue, Red, Orange, Pink) I swap out}
    Rear Trunk Liner ......... Seal Floorboards
    Rear Trunk Shelf
    Corbin Heated Seat
    extra 12V plug
    Elka shocks
    White/Red fender lights
    Bump/skid
    Baker Wind Wings
    Honey Burl Dash Kit

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I try to make a habit of putting it in neutral, even when I am stopped at a traffic light, that way I get in the habit of doing it anytime I am stopped. Kind of like using the kill switch rate then the key to turn the Spyder off! That way I am pretty confident that it won't take off and I am ready to kill the engine if necessary. JMHO.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

My SE5 will idle in first with the parking brake left on. I did this once when shutting the garage door, and once again when I stopped the to get a real estate brochure next to a for sale home.

It is not my normal way to drive. I always try to shift into neutral and engage the parking brake if I have to dismount the and leave the motor running. Glad the situation was not worse than what happened.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    Why does the bike need to warm up? Just curious -- mine runs smoothly from the get go. When I first start it, the RPM is around 1,800 for about 5 seconds. Then it goes down to 1300 to 1400 which the dealer told me is the idling speed.

I turn the key before I put helmet, etc. on just to get past that pesky start screen so I can hit START as soon as I mount the bike, but that is it.

Obviously, the next poster agreed with you on your starting routine. I just never thought it needed "warmed up".

Spyder Garage

Why does the bike need to warm up? Just curious -- mine runs smoothly from the get go. When I first start it, the RPM is around 1,800 for about 5 seconds. Then it goes down to 1300 to 1400 which the dealer told me is the idling speed.

I turn the key before I put helmet, etc. on just to get past that pesky start screen so I can hit START as soon as I mount the bike, but that is it.

Obviously, the next poster agreed with you on your starting routine. I just never thought it needed "warmed up".
    I never warm my Spyder up either.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A warm-up is not going to hurt anything as long as it doesn't take forever. On cold days when the oil is thickened, it might be a good idea. However, when it is warm and oil is not "thick", by the time the rpm's settle-down to 1300-1400 you should be ready to roll.

People are peculiar in their various rituals involving machinery. I always get a kick out of hearing and watching the various routines. I have a buddy who's routine with his bike is hilarious and a bit "macho" for my taste. I have to laugh every time, and he knows I do. LOL!

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default No one wins

In a situation such as this everyone is a loser. It is a definite lose lose for all concerned. The sad thing is the momentary lose of safety will be followed up by a definite lose of mandays, inconvience, trust and confidence between friends and riders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I do it to let the oil get circulated & usually the bike has been sitting for a for a while.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When you start it up cold; it'll settle into an elevated idle in the 1200-2100 rpm range...
    Once it drops back to 1400-1500 rpm (A matter of maybe five seconds or less...); it's time to go!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I always put the bike in neutral if its running and i get off, mainly because I would never trust the parking brake enough to leave it in gear. I also make the wife board the spider on the non throttle side. But, as we all know, happens and at least nobody got hurt.
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

We are going through my insurance company insisting all damage down to the smallest scratch being repaired on my friends Harley.

I have indicated I should have turned the Spyder off or at the very least put it in neutral. In the future I will absolutely turn off the engine. Leaving it in neutral with engine running does not eliminate the possibility of someone inadvertently hitting the paddle on an SE5 and shifting the Spyder into first gear. With a faulty parking brake this could also result in an accident.

Spyder Garage

I never get on or off the bike with the engine running...never did with a two wheeler, either.

Now, my wife, when riding on the back, will often get on after I've started it, but I'm already on and she can't get anywhere near the throttle (and she knows what it is because she also rides it). I'm also on the brake when she gets on, whether it's running or not. That's habit from two wheelers, too.

AND () I never put the bike in neutral before I turn it off. I come to a stop, put on the brake, turn it off.

Anyway, since I never get on or off the bike with the engine running, it pretty much solves the problem of someone hitting the throttle when getting on or off the bike.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dadof4 View Post
    While on a ride today with my wife's cousin and her husband, he pulled over to the side of the road to discuss our route. I stopped behind him applying the Spyder's parking brake but leaving it in first gear. Apparently the parking brake needs to be checked. My wife, not knowing the handle bar grip is also the throttle grabbed and twisted it as she got back on the bike. It ran into the Harley and knocked it down. We will be paying to get the Harley repaired.

The Spyder will need a new bumper cover and one of the ailerons (chrome wings) to the tune of about $350. How much work is it to replace those parts? Does the whole nose need to be removed? I feel like sh*t not so much for our Spyder but for the damage to the Harley.

Thanks - Rick
    When I saw the title of your post I was afraid someone was hurt. I'm glad that's not the case, but it sucks to have to go to the expense of repairs on 2 bikes. If you spend that much money you should be getting some farkles out of it.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    The parking brake definitely needs to be checked. My RT won't move an inch when the brake is set. i know from when I forget to release it and try to take off just sitting there feeling stupid..

That's never happened to me, nope never, well, maybe there was this one time...

I'm sure you both feel bad for the accident.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default Repaired

My Spyder is repaired. I installed the new bumper and repaired a couple of cracks in the lower front trunk compartment. I now know how to remove the entire front end of the RT.

More important than that my friend has received a check from my insurance company ($2700) to replace every piece with even the smallest scratch on his Harley.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dadof4 View Post
    I've decided to be the fall guy. I should have turned off the Spyder or at the very least put it in neutral and not relied on the parking brake alone. She feels bad enough already.
    I agree that was my first though. I always put it in neutral before applying the brake. Happy wife happy life.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment