Spyder Garage

Default FLAT TIRE AT 60MPH

Last Week I attended Spyders in the Redwoods in Sonora and had a great time except for one problem. About 50 miles East of Sonora headed to Sonora Pass, I had a right front wheel sidewall blow-out at 60 MPH. It was straight up on the right and straight on the left side so I could only hope to go straight down the road. I also use Ride-on in all tires on the RT and I'm not sure if that helped but I will continue to use it. I'm told the bike did what they are designed to do in a case like this - I could have let go of the handle bars and just like the bike do it's thing but I didn't. I held on, let the gas off and didn't touch the brakes and started looking for a wide spot and sure enough, down the road about 100 yards was a spot on the left. I let the bike slow and guided the bike to a stop. Now trying to get a cell site in that area was not that easy but we did. 2 1/2 hour for the tow truck, 1 hour back to Sonora and than 1 1/2 hrs to the dealer. I had 4000 miles on the tire and must have caught a rock on the sidewall. I spent lots time getting it fixed and about $170.00.

Spyder Garage

Glad to here that you came out of the ordeal without any personal injuries.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users WV Spyder Ryder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad to hear you kept your cool and your control to safely get it stopped.

Bruce

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Glad to see you acted appropriately and didn't get hurt.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lose a front tire on a two-wheeler; see what happens!
    Glad that you were on three!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank goodness it blew before Sonora Pass as that would have been mighty scary.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Glad you're safe, I had a front tire blow out on my Wing at about 70 on the interstate in Rhode Island. I was going straight at the time luckily and was able to keep it under control. The cars around me saw it and gave me a wide birth, one of the most scariest moments of my life...

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Glad you rode it out safely. I'm sure the Spyder VSS helped in coming to a relatively controlled stop. The Ride-On wouldn't have helped in the case of a cut-down tire or sidewall puncture, but it should prevent a sudden flat from a tread puncture. Just because it isn't effective 100% of the time doesn't mean it isn't worth using.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Default Scary..!!

missed that ryde went to calaveras. Heard about it but from those who rode with you. Good to know things worked and you handled it so well...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Textbook execution of what to do during an emergency "sudden air loss" scenario. It's when you panic that bad things happen that result in accident/injury. Nobody wants this to happen, but if you can walk away scratch-free, it truly is a GOOD THING. Job well done...

Where I've been on my Spyder...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by redlightron View Post
    Last Week I attended Spyders in the Redwoods in Sonora and had a great time except for one problem. About 50 miles East of Sonora headed to Sonora Pass, I had a right front wheel sidewall blow-out at 60 MPH. It was straight up on the right and straight on the left side so I could only hope to go straight down the road. I also use Ride-on in all tires on the RT and I'm not sure if that helped but I will continue to use it. I'm told the bike did what they are designed to do in a case like this - I could have let go of the handle bars and just like the bike do it's thing but I didn't. I held on, let the gas off and didn't touch the brakes and started looking for a wide spot and sure enough, down the road about 100 yards was a spot on the left. I let the bike slow and guided the bike to a stop. Now trying to get a cell site in that area was not that easy but we did. 2 1/2 hour for the tow truck, 1 hour back to Sonora and than 1 1/2 hrs to the dealer. I had 4000 miles on the tire and must have caught a rock on the sidewall. I spent lots time getting it fixed and about $170.00.
    Glad to hear you came out unscathed, I did a search for the word Redwoods, and this was the first thread. Wanted to go this year but work got in the way.

I haven't heard much about the trip other that Seal floorboards sold out the first day. If you have any pictures or video to share that would be great.

Again Ron, glad your ok That can be scary at that speed.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Glad you rode it out safely. I'm sure the Spyder VSS helped in coming to a relatively controlled stop. The Ride-On wouldn't have helped in the case of a cut-down tire or sidewall puncture, but it should prevent a sudden flat from a tread puncture. Just because it isn't effective 100% of the time doesn't mean it isn't worth using.
    CLICK FOR LARGER IMAGE

Repairable and Non-repairable Areas for a Motorcycle/Scooter Tire"

*courtesy Ride-On website
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 08-17-2013 at 08:06 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Rode Through the Sonora Pass to SITR

I heard about your ordeal from other riders at the event. My wife and I rode from Bridgeport to Sonora through the pass and it was a 2nd gear proposition most of the way until we reached the summit. The ride was great but definitely not a place to have a flat or other problem. Glad to hear that everything worked out O.K. for you. I understand that another rider lost his cooling system on the same trip.....sounds like bad karma for the ride!!

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REMOTE AREA

You did good, that is a very remote area.... You know here is an Idea for all to ponder.
    I am a member of the ST Owners Club (Honda ST Owners) on their forum they have
    a section where you can sign up and provide your contact information and what you are
    welling to provide for stranded riders, such as tools, garage, parts, a bed, help getting repairs
    use of your yard to camp out in, a trailer to transport a bike and stuff like that so when or you have
    a problem like that one with the tire you can call the closest person on the list and get help....
    What do you think?
    Dave

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    You did good, that is a very remote area.... You know here is an Idea for all to ponder.
    I am a member of the ST Owners Club (Honda ST Owners) on their forum they have
    a section where you can sign up and provide your contact information and what you are
    welling to provide for stranded riders, such as tools, garage, parts, a bed, help getting repairs
    use of your yard to camp out in, a trailer to transport a bike and stuff like that so when or you have
    a problem like that one with the tire you can call the closest person on the list and get help....
    What do you think?
    Dave
    On this site it is called Spyders to the rescue.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Glad you made it through unscathed... Had you let go of the handlebars I think we would be hearing a different story...... Hopefully told by you
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

In 45 years of riding I've only experienced one blowout, that being on a two wheeler and it was terrifying, although I luckily didn't go down and no ill effects resulted. Because of that I've often wondered how a Spyder would behave in the event of a blowout. I seems from your description that not much happened, that it continued to track fairly straight and was controllable (neither being the case in my two wheel incident). Is that correct or am I misreading your description?

Thanks for posting this. It helps to know what to expect in such an occurrence.

Mike
    www.rtwrider.net

Spyder Garage

Good job not panicking, & bringing it to a safe stop!
    Maybe, we can all take something away from your experience. I have never had a blowout. But; I hope if it happens to me, I can respond like you did.
    - Greg

2013 RT-S Circuit Yellow Metallic

Previously owned...

2008 Spyder GS (Full Moon) 32,800 miles
    2011 Spyder RS-S (Magnesium/Black) 31,230 miles

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the comments and this event came out on the good side of things. Had this occurred in a corner the outcome may have been different but it didn't so ride on and have fun.

Spyder Garage

A few weeks ago the rear tire on my RT went down. Fortunately we were only doing about 55 when I started to feel it go. If it had been a half hour sooner we were on I-40 doing 70 mph. It didn't blow but went down in a matter of seconds. I felt a severe vibration and heard a rumble so I slowed down and suddenly the rear started to get really squirrely real fast. I had a rear go down on my Honda 350 once and it sure puckered the lower cheeks.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards