Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2014's Coming

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Sorry , but you are forgetting that if you add a 6th gear it would lower the gear ratio and the Spyders sweet spot would no longer be in the 5000 RPM range, it would be lower. With that said, it would in fact save fuel if a 6th gear was added because your motor would now spin at less RPM's in it's sweet spot. Class dismissed !!!!

Randy,
    The "sweet spot" is that rpm rnage where the bike is making it's most useable power... YOu can't move the sweet spot down the rpm scale by adding another gear any more than I can be made smarter by parking over next to the Town's Library... (SORRY!)
    In it's current engine configuration and state of tune; a sixth gear would be a waste of space and dollars... nothing more.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default 200 mph

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Want to go that 200mph on the speedo?
    no that is a lil too fast but at least 150
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ask Doc what it would take to get to 150... He's the Bonneville Land Speed record holder...

Spyder Garage

Default 200 mph

all my other bikes have been cruisers and i have never had a high rev bike b4 so i am used to shifting by ear and when i hear that engine hitting high rpm's i think i need to shift. i am sure i will get used to it and i watch the speedo now for shifting into 5 th gear, so that is my reason i say i would like a 6 th gear just a old dog trying to learn a new riding way
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    all my other bikes have been cruisers and i have never had a high rev bike b4 so i am used to shifting by ear and when i hear that engine hitting high rpm's i think i need to shift. i am sure i will get used to it and i watch the speedo now for shifting into 5 th gear, so that is my reason i say i would like a 6 th gear just a old dog trying to learn a new riding way
    The current Rotax motor had a 6th gear but that was replaced by the reverse gear. If there was room in this motor for another gear I'm sure it would be there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Randy,
    The "sweet spot" is that rpm rnage where the bike is making it's most useable power... YOu can't move the sweet spot down the rpm scale by adding another gear any more than I can be made smarter by parking over next to the Town's Library... (SORRY!)
    In it's current engine configuration and state of tune; a sixth gear would be a waste of space and dollars... nothing more.
    Thanks Bob. You de-tuned Randy much better than I did.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

arntufun

Default This is how I understand it.

Randy,

I might be wrong but the difference would be that the gears would be shorter. It's like carrying a long piece of wood. You can cut the wood up into 5 or 6 pieces. Either way you are still carrying the same amount of wood, it's just how much work it takes to carry it. A 6 speed is more work for the driver (for obvious reasons) but less work for the engine to get you up to speed by spinning at a lower RPM. Therfore, it would save you fuel.

I'm no expert, but this is how I understand it. So if I'm wrong I apoligize.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ahh... Now that you've explained the method to your madness; you're not quite as wrong about it!
    IF you were to shorten up the spaces between the gears; you might find a use for a sixth gear...
    But they're already pretty reasonably spaced right now; have you noticed any big gaps that need filling with gears?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by willey View Post
    We have a 2013RTS we now have 8200 trouble free miles on it.I was in 5th gear last night for the first time in a long time.We were on the free way running 75 mph.I never shift into 5th under 70mph.Why do I need a 6th gear?I love this bike,Its like driving a sports car.I often wonder if the folks that are knocking the 2013s own one or are just repeating what they read here.I can find nothing wrong with my 2013.Its a great bike.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    I might be wrong but the difference would be that the gears would be shorter. It's like carrying a long piece of wood. You can cut the wood up into 5 or 6 pieces. Either way you are still carrying the same amount of wood, it's just how much work it takes to carry it. A 6 speed is more work for the driver (for obvious reasons) but less work for the engine to get you up to speed by spinning at a lower RPM. Therfore, it would save you fuel.

I'm no expert, but this is how I understand it. So if I'm wrong I apoligize.

A 6 speed is more efficient in operation, it lets you choose and use the most efficient gear for the power ban of an engine when need.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you think that it offers enough of a benefit for the Spyders to make it worth the cost and effort of a redesign?

arntufun

Do you think that it offers enough of a benefit for the Spyders to make it worth the cost and effort of a redesign?

IMO No........ Honestly it would be mostly for the consumer's benefit not the bottom line of the manufacture. It's nice to discuss though.

Come to think of it, wouldn't less RPM's decrease the engine heat to some "degree" (pun intended) ???????
    Last edited by arntufun; 08-16-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good pun!
    That's a good question though; it's not necessarily got much to do with the engine rpm levels; unless the water pump is spinning at a rate that is controlled by how fast the crank is doing it's dance... Are our pumps electrical or mechanical?
    I think that the heat produced is kind of tied in to how hard the engine is working...
    Heavy loads at lower rpm levels might be just as bad as screaming along at a Bazillion rpms...

Spyder Garage

Default heat

i can't stand heat and my BMW K 1600 in traffic was really bad but i don't find a heat problem on my 13 rt. i worry about my feet and legs being diabetic but i have no complaints with the heat and my bike
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You too?
    (48 plus years as a Type I)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

A 6 speed is more efficient in operation, it lets you choose and use the most efficient gear for the power ban of an engine when need.
    ya but unless you were doing about 80 mph you'd never get into 6th gear---would you?

Spyder Garage

I wonder if they will do away with the SE5 sometime and just go to a drivetrain similar to a snowmobile or the Nissan Altima's 'Pure Drive' system. No gears to change. That I believe would be beneficial to a lot of people, maybe not to others who are used to the gear change but like anything you would get used to it.

Registered Users Orange monster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

What they are saying is each gear would be a little shorter than it is now and you would add a 6th. So instead of shifting out of 1st at 25 to 30 mph you would shift at 18 to 23mph. Each gear would end sooner thus allowing you to shift into 6th at 65mph or so. With the present 5 speed there is a space between 3rd and 4th where I feel like I'm turning to many rpms to cruse in 3rd but when I shift to 4th I feel the motor is almost lugging. The 6 speed would allow these gears to be closer and could allow you to comfortably cruse in 4th gear without feeling the lugging or over reving in 3rd.
    2013 RSS
    Grip Puppies, Calsci Tinted Shorty windshield, Garage remote mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    ya but unless you were doing about 80 mph you'd never get into 6th gear---would you?
    I believe what lamonster is saying is that the gearing would just be shorter in duration but the same in the end.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As did Randy...
    But do you think that folks would be happier stirring through more gears all day long?
    It would require a redesign of the cases to make room; is that going to make the bike wider?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    I wonder if they will do away with the SE5 sometime and just go to a drivetrain similar to a snowmobile or the Nissan Altima's 'Pure Drive' system. No gears to change. That I believe would be beneficial to a lot of people, maybe not to others who are used to the gear change but like anything you would get used to it.
    I want a CVT transmission, brakes on the handlebars, direct inject fuel injection, more horsepower and train horns
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This discussion quickly went south, can we bring it back on track for joes like me deciding between a 13 or 14???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You'll probably hear nothing but the purest speculation until after at least September 14th...
    That's why this is just a bit like...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thedonva View Post
    This discussion quickly went south, can we bring it back on track for joes like me deciding between a 13 or 14???
    This close to introduction time, I would recommend holding off until you see what 2014 has to offer. If the 2014's are not what you want, there should be some good deals on 2013's, 2012's etc. I purchased a brand new 2011 RT A&C in July of 2012, saved a couple thousand, got a good trade in, and am very happy with the even though it was two years old (model year) when I purchased it.

Lots of choice if you are not in a big hurry. Good luck on your hunt.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If this helps at all..
    Supposedly, these photos were taken during a "commercial shoot".
    They purport to show a 2014 RT...
    2014 01.jpg2014 02.jpg2014 03.jpg
    That's all that we've seen; is it for real??

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...r#post21684106
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 08-16-2013 at 05:09 PM.