Spyder Garage

Default Charge for software update?

Called a dealer yesterday to get appt. for a software update and the radio interface service bulliton.(2011 RT LTD).
    The service writer told me that any service bullitons are normally done when the bike is brought in for service.I told him that the bike is not due for service.
    He said they would have to charge about an half hour for the software update!

This cant be right!
    2011 RT LTD. Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But.... They've got to write it up, pull the bike into their shop, and hook it up .
    They probably figure that a half-hour's compensation for the time and effort is about right...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

That's just not right. On my way to Spyderfest I tripped a code pulled into Cowtown had it hooked up and never was charged for time. My dealer Jim Potts Motor Group in Woodstock has never charged for a quick hook up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk 4
    2011 Pearl White RT Limited
    HMT Brake Light, Fender Tips Kit, Mudflap Lights, GloRyders, Seal Floorboards, Powerlet 12V, Garage Door Momentary Button, Bump Skid, Elka's Stage 1, Ultimate Sea, Air Wings

Member of the Woodstock Spyder Ryders (Illinois)

Spyder Garage

Friends, as Bob mentioned they have to charge for labor. I am certain that there are dealers who do charge a fee for the product (Update) which I agree is BS.

Spyder Garage

Well .................. the tech has to be paid by somebody ........................... Just Sayin.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that will vary from dealer to dealer. It's not any different with a car... I suspected my Catalytic converter was bad on our Malibu, and took it in for verification through OBD2... Since it was the CAT, and still within the emissions warranty period, it was free, but had it been something else (O2 sensor), they would have charged me $80 just to plug the car into the machine.

Spyder Garage

Hello

As a wrench turner for GM for many years at different dealers, it was up to the shop you go to on this one. Some shop I worked for they did not charge because they hope you would come back for other work. Now some of the dealers I worked for it was an one hour service charge to check for codes or software updates. The thinking was your time it money.

Sorry it is NOT BRP thing it is the local shop that set which way they go on this. Always ask first.
    2012 Spyder RT-SE5 Gray 5-31-12 First 5,075 miles on 10-8-12
    NBV kit highway brackets with pegs Bajaron sway bar Lave exh wrap
    Grip Buddies AirHawk 2 His & Her's Walmart Front driving lights
    Spyderpops upper block off plate, belt guard, bump Skid
    BRP
    trailer hitch Napa 6 to 4 wire power converter Ram GPS upper dash
    Baker build air wings the New 3 piece full set Kewl Metal GPS hand bar
    Inspector Gadgets rear mudd flap type, Air deflectors upper & lower A-frame

Spyder Garage

Default update

i think it is wrong when i had my BMW and a update came out the dealer did it for free but it did take time for him to get some down time to do it
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's going to be the shop's choice... and your choice as to whether or not you want to have them hook the bike up...

Spyder Garage

If you can wait till your next service I would. They may do it for free as part of the service.
    2012 Spyder RT-SE5 Gray 5-31-12 First 5,075 miles on 10-8-12
    NBV kit highway brackets with pegs Bajaron sway bar Lave exh wrap
    Grip Buddies AirHawk 2 His & Her's Walmart Front driving lights
    Spyderpops upper block off plate, belt guard, bump Skid
    BRP
    trailer hitch Napa 6 to 4 wire power converter Ram GPS upper dash
    Baker build air wings the New 3 piece full set Kewl Metal GPS hand bar
    Inspector Gadgets rear mudd flap type, Air deflectors upper & lower A-frame

Spyder Garage

I had my RT in for its 4600 mile service. I had a limp mode a few weeks before, so they hooked it up. Said it would be an additional hour and a half labor for them to do that. Bike was in shop for 2 hours, and they charged me 3-1/2 hours labor total. Not sure that was right, but they told me up front that's the way it was.
    2014 Cognac Spyder RT-S SM6, purchased July 8, 2015
    Rivco Flag Holders
    Eduo Innovations SRT Clear/Stainless Cup Holder
    Lamonster Spyder Decals
    Inspector Gadget Driver Floorboards and Heel-Toe Shifter
    Sena SPH10H-FM Headset for Half-Helmet
    Hopnel 1500 Front Trunk Liner
    BRP Trailer Hitch and Control Module
    2014 Escape Trailer (Black and Diamond) from 1 Motorcycle Trailers

2012 Magnesium Spyder RT SM5, sold on July 8, 2015

Spyder Garage

Find a new dealer!

Heck, I stopped by a dealer a few years ago in Ohio that I had never been to before because I was getting a brake error code and my pedal would go soft. The tech did a BUDS update and even topped off my brake fluid and re-calibrated the brakes.

No charge at all.

I did buy some things there afterwards and also gave the tech a few tips I've learned out here to make service easier.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WARRANTY WORK

Quote Originally Posted by sjcpanther View Post
    I had my RT in for its 4600 mile service. I had a limp mode a few weeks before, so they hooked it up. Said it would be an additional hour and a half labor for them to do that. Bike was in shop for 2 hours, and they charged me 3-1/2 hours labor total. Not sure that was right, but they told me up front that's the way it was.
    It looks like you have a 2012 Model..........and you asked / told your Dealer you had LIMP Mode and they want to charge you !!!!!!!!!.......Maybe I'm off base here.....But isn't that covered by the WARRANTY..............And if it is ,,,,,,,Why is the dealer charging you for it ............You may want to contact BRP DIRECT if the " STEALER " is Ripping you OFF...................JMHO.....Mike ....................QUESTION ..Does the spyder actually have to fully malfunction ie. STOP RUNNING for the warranty to kick in ????????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No; but it helps if it's on fire!
    Oh! Sorry, FireBall...

arntufun

There is a difference between recalls and service bulletins

Recalls are free to fix because BRP pays the dealer to preform the recall.

Service bulletins are not required to be performed on a Spyder so the dealer does not get paid from BRP to preform these updates. Therefore they have every right to charge you labor if they want to. It sucks, but thats how it is.

I'm in the same boat with my older Garmin GPS. They want to charge me half the cost of a new GPS to update my old one with fresh maps.......
    Last edited by arntufun; 08-15-2013 at 07:26 PM.

Spyder Garage

To charge or not to charge? It is all going to boil down to what the local dealers policy is. A dealer that does not charge for the simple stuff--IMO--is more customer friendly. Those that are watching the bottom line more closely, are probably going to charge. When the service manager refers to his department as a "profit center"--watch out.

I have experienced both situations with my dealer. I had the tranny thing go on and it was due to oil a little lower than it should have been. The dealer looked at my right away "out in the parking lot". The tech added the proper amount of oil, and gave me the rest of the quart to take home. NO Charge.

Brought in a RS that the parking brake had not been released and driven. They adjusted the brake right away. $50. 1/2 hour labor at the time.

Dealer has a new "gung ho" service manager--I paid a bunch for a new tire and install, also a bunch for an oil change and 12,000 miles type service. I am going to be more "picky" the next time I sign up for service and tell them to get everything done that needs to be. Not a good statement to make currently at my dealer.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It pays to develop a good working relationship with your dealer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    And it pays to find a good dealer to have that relationship with.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    BINGO!!!!!!!! I've developed a really good working relationship with my dealer over the years. I've found that I catch a helluva lot more flies with honey. Several times they have asked me if I wanted them to hook my spyder up for a Utility and Diagnostic Software Test at no charge.

As others have said, it does require a tech to pull my spyder around to the service department, pop the little "do lolly" in the frunk to hook up the computer to the spyder and run. Takes all of fifteen minutes so there is "some" time involved.

Now in defense of the original post? No it ain't right. However, I might add that I charge 1/2 hour for a simple telephone call in my line of work. I guess that's why lawyers fall in the same catagory as used car salesmen, preachers and spyder dealers. <smile>

Chris EDIT: PS: I forgot to mention funeral directors.
    Last edited by MouthPiece; 08-15-2013 at 04:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Well .................. the tech has to be paid by somebody ........................... Just Sayin.

Cruzr Joe
    Paid, by the profits from the Spyder sales and accessories sold, the addition of farkles and your word of mouth how good the dealer was by covering the cost and the upstanding service they provided. That's how you sell more machines and get more people in for other service. The software to update they OS should come with the machine and we hook up our laptops with a USB port to update the operating just like what we do for our Garmin GPS.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't recall anybody saying that they HAD to go to the guy who was charging...
    It's just another choice that you're gonna have to make; that's all!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post

Chris EDIT: PS: I forgot to mention funeral directors.
    Chris you forgot to add the most important part. The Funeral Director is the last person to let you down! 😉

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    BINGO!!!!!!!! I've developed a really good working relationship with my dealer over the years. I've found that I catch a helluva lot more flies with honey.

Squirrels,.....
    Dead Squirrels. You can catch more flies with them, Especially in the Summer....

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If your bike is still covered under warranty,and is exhibiting the same symptoms as stated in the TSB (service bulletin),then there should be no charge...BRP would pay the the dealer to perform the bulletin...If you just want to have it performed,and it is not exhibiting those symptoms,then it would probably be on your dime..