Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tough men,real men and mancho men don't read but whenever they fail, they always go back and read the instruction.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Spyder Garage

BRP provides 2 keys with every new Spyder and they come zip tied to the handle bars. If for some reason this does not happen it is the dealer's responsibility to correct the problem. I put the blame squarely on the dealer for not providing the OP with 2 keys when he took delivery. The dealer needs to make it right. Now that said, most problems have multiple causes. For that reason I believe the OP has some responsibility here. Spending an hour reading the owners manual he would have realised that he only received one key and that was bad news. He could have easily headed off this problem from getting worse with a phone call to the dealer and arrangements made to get a second key.

Another reason for pointing out that it was in the manual was because of comments from the OP and others about not believing that losing both keys can that big a deal. Well it is as the manual says.

As for the dealer quoting a cost of $1000.00 to fix well that's a bit excessive. Back of the envelope calculation. Ignition switch is $200, DESS module is $132 and 2 hours labour at $100 per hr. That makes $550 a good guess.

The Spyder is not special when it comes to transponder keys. I bought a used Ford Escape from a used car dealer. It had only one key and when I made the deal I included that the dealer get a second key. He complained to me later that the second key cost him almost $300.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Latest

Can,t agree more with most all the posts. I put it out so others might not have same problem, I appreciate the comments it helps all when we talk it out, and yes I do share some blame since I lost key and did not follow up to get a second key. No stones thrown here.

The dealer call today they spent yesterday talking with BRP so they are gonna try to make a mold of key, they have to switch out D.E.S.S. module if they can get ignition to turn total cost $400 (little high) they offered to split cost saying they should have given me second key. So to most posters point both are paying for their mistake.

If mold won't turn ignition then ignition to include DESS need to be rep laced total cost $700 don't know yet if they plan to split that with me. I do know they are trying and I do hope this conversation will help other spyder owners from repeating this problem.

One thing I am shocked at is the lack of excitement for my keyless trunk and seat release. I saw that as a major find that could really help those with keys locked in trunk or if you don't want to turn off bike to open either side?????????? Where is the love???? Even mechanic was shocked by my find.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jimsta View Post
    One thing I am shocked at is the lack of excitement for my keyless trunk and seat release. I saw that as a major find that could really help those with keys locked in trunk or if you don't want to turn off bike to open either side?????????? Where is the love???? Even mechanic was shocked by my find.
    Yes, you are right. That is a "major" find and I appreciated you posting the information. I am trying to assimilate the information and how I might put it to use. The way I handle my keys, I cannot imagine locking one up by mistake, but I am sure everyone who has done that, says that too.

I can imagine loosing my only key or being someplace (out-of_town) where I only have one key readily accessible. That one really hits home with me.

What really freaked me was the difficulty and expense you are going through to remedy your situation and I got focused on that.

I have ordered 2 additional keys from a third-party because of your plight. Since the keys are being cloned from an original, I am down to one key for a week or so.
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 08-16-2013 at 01:09 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Hiding a key on a Spyder.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanzues View Post
    I know, I am repeating myself, but I believe a minimum of three keys for each spyder. One to use, one to hide someplace/somehow on the Spyder. The third leaves home only in extreme emergency, like to get Spyder home or take to dealer for more new keys. All kinds of ieas on here about "back up"
    I would guess they hoping to find your other key at the Dealership.
    Good luck in any case.
    Oldmanzues
    This sounds like a good plan. Where is a good place to hide a key on my 2012 Spyder RT Limited?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wb4lrk View Post
    This sounds like a good plan. Where is a good place to hide a key on my 2012 Spyder RT Limited?
    Isn't this kinda like hiding a house key under a rock by the front door or above the door frame? Pretty soon everyone knows where to look.

Maybe you should ask people to privately message you with a location -- or else someone will track you and your Spyder down and it will be gone the next morning when you wake up.

Spyder Garage

Keys? My trike insurers have laid down the following demands:

If the Spyder is stolen from my locked garage at home they insist that I send them both ignition keys and both alarm transponders, both keys to the padlock and 14 mm linked chain which runs through one of the front wheels to a ground anchor.

We never leave home without taking all of these keys along, not even for a quick visit to the supermarket!

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    Keys? My trike insurers have laid down the following demands:

If the Spyder is stolen from my locked garage at home they insist that I send them both ignition keys and both alarm transponders, both keys to the padlock and 14 mm linked chain which runs through one of the front wheels to a ground anchor.

We never leave home without taking all of these keys along, not even for a quick visit to the supermarket!
    Years ago, I had my 1994 Honda Goldwing stolen from my garage. Unfortunately, I was in the habit of leaving my keys in the ignition, in the closed garage. Since my garage door was activated by a garage door opener, I assumed everything was safe with the door down.

The button to close the door was beside the door frame leading into the house from the attached garage. I would just hit the button as I walked in my house from the garage. Either I did not push the button fully or the door snagged and raised back up, but apparently thieves found the garage open; pushed the motorcycle to the street; and drove off one night.

I was embarrassed to tell my agent I had left the keys in the motorcycle. However, it did not faze her at all as she explained a lot of people have the habit of leaving the keys in the ignition when they think the motorcycle is safely in a locked garage.

Guess insurance companies are less tolerant of that behavior then they were 15 years ago. To be honest, I never did that again afterwards. The good news? My motorcycle was recovered when someone snitched on the thief after they had had an argument.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have " 4 " programmed keys (the max available,
    I am told...) I also have a NO-START access key
    that I cut at the same locksmith.

I keep the no-start key with me and a spare
    inside of the Spyder. have only lost a key once.
    the person that found it at work... KNEW who it
    belonged to and held onto it until they saw me
    a few hrs later

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Ordered Replacement Keys

Based upon this thread, I ordered replacement keys: CLICK HERE to read about my experience

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knarfoh View Post
    Based upon this thread, I ordered replacement keys: CLICK HERE to read about my experience
    Now that was extremely detailed!!!

I do have some questions. Why did you choose this route? Does your locksmith have a cloning machine? If he does why not get the blank from a cheaper source and get him to clone and cut?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Why did you choose this route? Does your locksmith have a cloning machine? If he does why not get the blank from a cheaper source and get him to clone and cut?
    The local locksmith told me could clone car keys but not motorcycle keys. The Spyder dealer wanted $48 for one key blank and wanted to charge half hour labor or $45 to program the keys. Plus I still had to go to a locksmith to have the key cut.

i am not saying cheapest way to have this done, just only way I knew how to get it done. Definitely lot cheaper then dealer.

Do most locksmiths have cloning devices and blank key sets? I am not claiming to be an expert.

how much did you pay for cloned keys?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knarfoh View Post
    The local locksmith told me could clone car keys but not motorcycle keys. The Spyder dealer wanted $48 for one key blank and wanted to charge half hour labor or $45 to program the keys. Plus I still had to go to a locksmith to have the key cut.

i am not saying cheapest way to have this done, just only way I knew how to get it done. Definitely lot cheaper then dealer.

Do most locksmiths have cloning devices and blank key sets? I am not claiming to be an expert.

how much did you pay for cloned keys?
    That's odd that motorcycle should make a difference. My locksmith said it was a common transponder chip.

It cost me $15 for cloneable blank, $4 for a plain blank and $8 shipping from a supplier in Maine. It then cost me $10 to clone the one, cut both, provide the blanks and cut 2 house keys.

The one advantage you have is the fellow that cloned yours keeps a record of transponder code and can send more cloned blanks if need be. If I understand his add correctly.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Figuring out how to open the frunk was a great find indeed! Unfortunately, I don't think that will work with the RT's since we have a cover that goes between the lower handlebars and the wiring. However, it might work if one is inclined to remove several panels.

After reading this thread I can't help but ask myself if I have become too complacent, maybe over confident, about not feeling the need to carry a spare key with me. I have never in my life lost a key to my vehicle or my home and have no fears of doing so now, or in the future, but have had conversations with fellow riders who do carry their spares with them. I received 2 keys when I bought my RT, one of which is safely locked away in the safe, the other hangs on a chain around my neck. I never close the frunk until I confirm the key is either in the ignition or in the sleeve around my neck. Same goes when I get off the Spyder, the last thing I do before I walk away from it is check to make sure the key is in the sleeve around my neck. I'm knocking on wood right now for that off chance that someday I might get distracted and leave my key somewhere I shouldn't, but I'm pretty confident that after riding a Spyder for 3 years, it's instilled in my memory to always ensure I have my key on me.

Your dealer should be ashamed offering to split the cost with you. Had they given you the spare key (with the key code) in the first place, the most you might have to shell out is around $100 (I have no idea how much it costs to have a new key made by BRP). If I were you, I would tell them that I am willing to pay up to the amount of what it would cost to replace the key, but nothing more. Good luck, I hope you're back on the road soon.

-Anita

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That's odd that motorcycle should make a difference. My locksmith said it was a common transponder chip.
    If you read the one email I received, he said: "Most automotive locksmiths have cloning devices. They may not know that their device will clone a Can-Am so just tell them it is a basic T5 chip that any cloning device will clone."

It cost me $15 for cloneable blank
    So I assume for 2 cloneable blanks it would have cost you $15 each (or $30) and the $8 shipping for a GRAND TOTAL of $38.

My guy charged $18 for a cloneable blank and $4 shipping. If I wanted 2, the charge would have been $40. He said in his one email: "Your best option is to have a local automotive locksmith duplicate and clone your key onto the key blank. That way you keep possession of your key." Thus, he quoted me $40 for 2 cloneable blanks including shipping. He gave me the option of shipping blanks and letting me choose a automotive locksmith locally to finish the work.

So you saved $2 over me (if I had chosen that option). However, your keys came from Maine? HECK !! Mine came from Hawaii. In the long term, my keys would have been happier, more fulfilled keys then yours. Think about it: keys that came from an island paradise or keys that came from Maine.

The one advantage you have is the fellow that cloned yours keeps a record of transponder code and can send more cloned blanks if need be. If I understand his AD correctly.
    Yes, you read the AD correctly.

I understand I chose to incur some additional expense I could have avoided by not mailing one of my original keys to Hawaii. The guy in Hawaii and I exchanged several emails and he gave me his phone number to call him. In the end, I felt more comfortable letting him sell me the blanks AND CLONE my keys. He suggested to me the better alternative (IF I WAS AFRAID TO SEND HIM ONE OF MY ORIGINAL KEYS) was to go about it the same way you did. He was honest and forthright about that.

To put it in perspective, I SAVED A HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY over what a dealer would have charged me (as you did too).

SPECIAL NOTE: I know most people don't take the time to post specific information all the time. It would have nice if you had shared the website address of the people you dealt with for the cloneable key blanks. You have great information - but for some reason you kept it a secret who you dealt with? Did your keys have the keyhole? You know, the one BRP failed to put in their keys so you can put a key ring through them?

CLICK HERE
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 08-22-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wb4lrk View Post
    If I was to carry a spare key with me and thus it had to be kept on the Spyder, I think I would get a non-starting key made (no chip)
    to open the frunk and keep the spare all singing - all dancing chipped key in either the tool kit or the operators manual envelope. (Or somewhere secret behind the
    frunk liner.)
    The key with no chip could be kept on the same ring as my house keys as it is just a key and not susceptible to any more damage than a normal
    house key. Does that make sense??
    Last edited by OJ UK; 08-23-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OJ UK View Post
    If I was to carry a spare key with me and thus it had to be kept on the Spyder, I think I would get a non-starting key made (no chip)
    to open the frunk and keep the spare all singing - all dancing chipped key in either the tool kit or the operators manual envelope. (Or somewhere secret behind the
    funk liner.)
    The key with no chip could be kept on the same ring as my house keys as it is just a key and not susceptible to any more damage than a normal
    house key. Does that make sense??
    Makes perfect sense to me.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

So last week my ONLY Spyder key got lost. I called the dealer and their first suggestion was to call a locksmith
    First clue your dealer is a total idiot. They sell Spyders and aren't familiar with the security features built into the key and the Spyder?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default New Info

So I called them today and they were able to make a mold of the key then keyed it to a new DESS Module and said they will have my ride back together tomorrow. Gonna cost me $200 but iget two keys. Wish it were less but it is what it is.

the one thing I left off cuz it sounded like an excuse is I teach AFJROTC and my Spyder key is on my work set so when I ride the bike I remember to take work keys since I normally leave them in truck. Handed my keys to a cadet with the Spydee key on it and got it back twenty minutes later sans Spydee key. Yes retraced but he traveled all over the campus with it so rit is lost for real.
    PJust glad they don't have to replace ignition and yes I will be making at least one more clone. This is the first key I have ever lost of any kind in my 35 years of driving and what a horrible first experience it was. Do appreciate all the cross talk and you all taking this journey with me.

Jim

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Done

Okay so I picked up the bike today got two new keys and it runs like a champ. Total cost $200 because the dealership cost was $435 but they gave me a discount and only charged me $200. Found an earlier post and I also put a drillhole in both of the new keys , tested them and they both worked. Now they're on a key ring so I can't lose them the way it happened before slipping out of the sleeve. Also they gave me a $50 gift certificate towards parts and accessories on my next purchase so thats even a little bit better discount so it all worked out well. WHEW!!!!!!
    Last edited by Jimsta; 08-24-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Not quite done

Went to drive the bike to work this morning and it was still dark. Pulled out of the garage and was wondering why no lights???? No lows or highs. So I parked it and called the dealer when they open and they said, "the DESS replace we did would never effect the lights the bulbs must be burned out". On lows and highs at the same time.....really????? Taking it back first day off isSaturday will se what's up then.

Spyder Garage

Went to drive the bike to work this morning and it was still dark. Pulled out of the garage and was wondering why no lights???? No lows or highs. So I parked it and called the dealer when they open and they said, "the DESS replace we did would never effect the lights the bulbs must be burned out". On lows and highs at the same time.....really????? Taking it back first day off isSaturday will se what's up then.
    High and low beams are the same filiment on the Spyder (except the ST). It is possible they are right, but more likely that they failed to reconnect the lights when they worked on the Spyder.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That is my guess to coincidental

Spyder Garage

Ya'll are making this way too complicated! Order Lamonster's IPS Switch and no one but Spyder lovers know where the key is!
    Replaced my Lamonster Certified RT Limited #1874 With a 2018 RTL.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Lights work

Went back yesterday they took off the Tupperware and low and behold they had not plugged the lights back together. All is now good with the world. I have drilled a hole in the keys so no more loss issues and am gonna order an IPS today as well. Live and learn or live and don't learn....as long as I live all is good.