Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Lost Key/Easy Frunk Opening

So last week my ONLY Spyder key got lost. I called the dealer and their first suggestion was to call a locksmith so I called six and none could help. I then called the dealer again and they said I have to replace the ignition at $1000 cost. I started to question why I only got one key with the purchase of my brand new Spyder from them and the tone changed dramatically. I was was told to get it to the dealer and they would get me a new key. It is still at the dealer and I have no idea yet how they plan to fix this. Will update when final resolution occurs. Oh and by the way UHAULS 6' x 12' open trailer only has a 5' opening so it is plenty big for the bike but getting it on (sideways imight add) I scraped the fenders.

What I did find in this ordeal so far is a WAY too easy method of opening the trunk and seat without a key. If you turn the handlebars hard right there is a cable with a small white marking coming out of the ignition housing. The is enough slack in mine to create a small loop. I just grabbed hold pulled a a little (do not need to yank) and the Frunk popped open (I have a frunk spring). I turned the handle bar the other way and there was a solid black cable same place on the other side. Gave that a pull and sure enough the seat came open. I am sure this is universal for all RS models not sure about RT or ST models.

Spyder Garage

I know, I am repeating myself, but I believe a minimum of three keys for each spyder. One to use, one to hide someplace/somehow on the Spyder. The third leaves home only in extreme emergency, like to get Spyder home or take to dealer for more new keys. All kinds of ieas on here about "back up"
    I would guess they hoping to find your other key at the Dealership.
    Good luck in any case.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

There is a post here somewhere on how to attach a pull cable behind the oil check cover to allow you to open the frunk on a RT.
    I plan to do that as I ALMOST locked my key in the other day.

I just checked what the OP said here for his ST and on a RT, no access as he described.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Key Code

I know when I bought mine they gave me two keys and I think something even had a key code on it.

Spyder Garage

Default Lost Key

Not too far back in time, maybe July there was a post about a Generic key with a chip that could be coded for a reasonable price... Sorry Cant recall exactly at this Senior Moment

Maybe in my saved word doc??
    If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jimsta View Post
    So last week my ONLY Spyder key got lost. I called the dealer and their first suggestion was to call a locksmith so I called six and none could help. I then called the dealer again and they said I have to replace the ignition at $1000 cost. I started to question why I only got one key with the purchase of my brand new Spyder from them and the tone changed dramatically. I was was told to get it to the dealer and they would get me a new key. It is still at the dealer and I have no idea yet how they plan to fix this. Will update when final resolution occurs. Oh and by the way UHAULS 6' x 12' open trailer only has a 5' opening so it is plenty big for the bike but getting it on (sideways imight add) I scraped the fenders.

What I did find in this ordeal so far is a WAY too easy method of opening the trunk and seat without a key. If you turn the handlebars hard right there is a cable with a small white marking coming out of the ignition housing. The is enough slack in mine to create a small loop. I just grabbed hold pulled a a little (do not need to yank) and the Frunk popped open (I have a frunk spring). I turned the handle bar the other way and there was a solid black cable same place on the other side. Gave that a pull and sure enough the seat came open. I am sure this is universal for all RS models not sure about RT or ST models.
    I commend you for your ingenuity is getting the seat and funk open without a key.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2 Keys With New Bike

You should have got 2 keys and the key code when you purchased your Spyder new. They owe you a second key and the code. Don't pay for it !!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default FIND THIS HARD TO BELIEVE

If the dealer you bought the Spyder from is telling you they have NO RECORD of what the KEY NUMBER is / was I think this is pure BS . Heck they can plug your Spyder in to BUDS and tell everything that has gone on with it since it left VALCOURT.....and IF you supply the VIN # alone they can tell you how many service issues the Spyder has had done........BUT for only $1000 they can FIX THIS ................sounds like another " DEALER FROM H*LL "........Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Keys...

You can order keys from "lockpicks.com" $7.95 but you need to clone the key chip. Kwick key here can make the keys for $50.00, cloning costs $20.00 plus cutting. So for $30/35 bucks you can have extra key. Yes the cables are accessible under the ignition switch on RS but tight. Best is to have extra key tucked away.
    Key code will cut a key to open the ignition, frunk and seat but you can not start the roadster.
    Sorry about the fenders..
    Dealer will find yours or change out the locks altogether..good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Keyset and Accessories that Came with my 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM5

Oh and by the way UHAULS 6' x 12' open trailer only has a 5' opening.
    I live in Ohio but chose to go to West Virginia to buy my 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM5. I discovered, just as you did, that the U-Haul trailer would not work. Fortunately, someone in my church had 10' x 6' trailer that he and his teenage sons used to haul their ATV's. Worked like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by PaSpyderRyder View Post
    I know when I bought mine they gave me two keys and I think something even had a key code on it.
    Click on smaller images to SEE larger photographS.

Upon delivery, the dealership gave me a small ziplock bag that included the following:

I received 2 keys. A zip tie held the 2 keys and a small tag together. The small tag has the key number in case I needed to have my key remade.

I received 2 adapters for my audio system. One was to allow me to connect my IPOD/ITOUCH/IPHONE/IPAD to my stereo system. I can control my audio device through the sound system and handlebar controls when I connect an POD/ITOUCH/IPHONE/IPAD.

I also received a connector that allowed me to connect ANY audio device with a standard RCA plug outlet. You cannot control any features of the device, but at least you can play your own music through your stereo system.

Lastly, I received a key cylinder that could be installed on the Can-Am trailer should I choose to buy that option in the future. You insert your Spyder key into the cylinder and turn and the cylinder masters the key. That way, one Spyder key serves as your ignition; can unlock your trunk and rear side storage compartments; and your trailer.

KEY_4004.jpgKEY_4005.jpgKEY_4006.jpgKEY_4007.jpg

SINCE SPYDERLOVERS DOWNSIZES IMAGES, HERE IS A LINK TO SEE LARGER (AND MORE) IMAGES. CLICK HERE
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 08-12-2013 at 10:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knarfoh View Post
    You insert your Spyder key into the cylinder and turn and the cylinder masters the key.
    Huh? It does what?

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Huh? It does what?

Bob
    It just lock a barrel that your main spyder key fits. The RT-622 ships with no barrel, with the trailer lid open, simply insert the spyder key into the barrel then the barrel into the trailer. Make sure the barrel goes all the way in or have your dealer do it. This way the same key fits all the locks. It like rock climbing, when roped together if one falls you all fall, lose one key you can not get in the bike or trailer

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Huh? It does what?Bob
    The word master has numerous meanings. However, my intention was the following: an original from which copies can be made.

With the original key from your Spyder, you can make the lock cylinder conform to the key by inserting the key fully and turning. This will align the pins in the cylinder to the ridges on the key. You get one chance to do this right. For example, if you do not insert the key fully, the pins will not align properly the next time the key is reinserted.

Can-Am provided each buyer of the RT-S with 2 keys for the Spyder and a lock cylinder for the optional trailer. The lock cylinder could then be installed on the trailer and you would use the key from Spyder to set the pins in the lock cylinder as I described. By doing so, you would have ONE key that would serve as (1) the ignition key; (2) lock/unlock the rear cargo trunks; and (3) lock/unlock the optional trailer.
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 08-13-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default update

Quote Originally Posted by PaSpyderRyder View Post
    Okay 4 business days in and decided to call on progress. They searched frantically for the extra key there to no avail. They are now talking to Bombadier about a total software system swap out?????? I asked if if he was talking about a BUDS reset so a new program key would work and he said no they are discussing a system swap under warranty so it will be free. Sounds like an awful lot of work for a new key to work. If I lose my car or truck key (both have chips) I go to the dealer with the code found in the sales paperwork and get a new one. Can it really be this difficult for them to provide a new key????

Dealer said give them time they would work it out. I am guessing they are going to all this trouble because they should have given a second key with a new purchase or i imagine it would be too bad so sad. Will keep you posted.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Oh and by the way UHAULS 6' x 12' open trailer only has a 5' opening so it is plenty big for the bike but getting it on (sideways i might add) I scraped the fenders.
    Not trying to beat a dead horse, but your statement is an oxymoron. You say the trailer is plenty big for the bike but you scrape the fenders getting it on.

In Ohio, we would say the trailer IS NOT big enough for the bike. Maybe in Texas they judge things differently. But if you can't get into the trailer WITHOUT scratching the fenders, then the trailer IS NOT big enough even if the interior of the trailer is larger then the bike.

My Spyder dealer knew to steer me away from U-Haul trailers. They recommended Sunbelt Rentals. I just did a check and I see you have plenty of those in the San Antonio area. Sunbelt normally rents to construction companies, contractors, etc. but they do rent to normal people.. LOL.... like you and I. They had a trailer that was perfect.

However, as I mentioned before, someone from my church let me borrow theirs so that worked even better for me since I wasn't under a time constraint to return it.

Maybe others will read this post and know to stay away from U-Haul to transport their bike. And maybe if they have a Sunbelt Rental company nearby, try that instead.

Spyder Garage

Default Read the owners guide.

Okay 4 business days in and decided to call on progress. They searched frantically for the extra key there to no avail. They are now talking to Bombadier about a total software system swap out?????? I asked if if he was talking about a BUDS reset so a new program key would work and he said no they are discussing a system swap under warranty so it will be free. Sounds like an awful lot of work for a new key to work. If I lose my car or truck key (both have chips) I go to the dealer with the code found in the sales paperwork and get a new one. Can it really be this difficult for them to provide a new key????

Dealer said give them time they would work it out. I am guessing they are going to all this trouble because they should have given a second key with a new purchase or i imagine it would be too bad so sad. Will keep you posted.
    Your dealer is correct, as stated on page 108 of your owners guide. Maybe you should give it another read.

Lost Key 2.JPG

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Maybe you should give it another read.
    Dammit! Real men don't read manuals, owner's guides, installation instructions, stop to ask for directions, etc.

Manufacturers thought... "LET'S CREATE QUICK GUIDES". You know, those 2 or 3 page documents they include along with the owner's manual that give you quick advice on how to get something working without reading the full manual. Trouble is -- LOL -- made things worse because people like me who used to read the manuals get lazy. If after a few days you don't experience any problems, why read the manual at all?

I will admit though, my IPAD has been a godsend. I have the manual for my Spyder on my IPAD and I put the owner's manual for my new Chevy Cruze on there too. I have to tell you I have read both manuals because they were convenient to read when I wanted. I will also tell you it took months, but at least I read the manuals. And yes, there is some useful information in there that everyone should know.

In this instance it appears the dealer created the original problem. Unfortunately, the buyer ends up paying, if not in dollars, in inconvenience and time wasted such as waiting for all the parts and repairs that can be necessary if the 2nd key can't be found.

20% to 25% of the posts in this FORUM could be eliminated if people read their owner's manual. Or learned how to Google something properly.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Knarfoh;671522]Not trying to beat a dead horse, but your statement is an oxymoron. You say the trailer is plenty big for the bike but you scrape the fenders getting it on.

In Ohio, we would say the trailer IS NOT big enough for the bike. Maybe in Texas they judge things differently.

Good point and I will look into sunbelt if I need one in the future thanks.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Your dealer is correct, as stated on page 108 of your owners guide. Maybe you should give it another read.

Lost Key 2.JPG
    Nice, and I see your point and it would be totally valid BUT they did not give me a second key/spare key which is why they are scrambling to make it correct.

Spyder Garage

As we grow larger it seems when a member has a problem we grow more critical and less supportive. Just an observation.
    2009 Spyder RS (non operational)
    2022 Spyder RT Limited
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dochands View Post
    As we grow larger it seems when a member has a problem we grow more critical and less supportive. Just an observation.
    If people read these posts carefully, everything was setup to fail BY THE DEALER, not the original poster. If the dealer had provided both keys we would not be having any of these discussions.

However, that said, at least two (2) other things have been learned (which need to be shared so others don't encounter the same issues); (1) the U-Haul trailer's internal dimensions are adequate for the Spyder however, the opening to the 6 ft trailer is only 5 feet (60") -- alas the Spyder is 61.9" and (2) the owner's manual recommends more then the 2 keys.

I admitted I did not read the manual for months after I got it. Just like the poster, I have now learned things that I did not know when I originally bought my Spyder and, honestly, they were covered in the manual. He did not know that he was entitled to more then one (1) key; and he misjudged the width needed for the trailer he rented to transport his Spyder.

As a result of reading this post - I am in the process of ordering additional keys for my Spyder. To get the best price, I am using one of the websites recommended to obtain the keys. Since I am possession of both of my keys, I am able to do that because I can send one away (to be cloned) while safeguarding my remaining key.

The original poster commented on what he believed was a VERY complicated process if you do loose all of your keys. That is when another FORUM reader mentioned that process was described in the manual and helps explain what the dealer is now telling him is true. To be honest, before I read that post, I was not aware that the manufacturer suggested more then the 2 keys originally provided.

SPECIAL NOTE: What none of us have said is --- after the original poster goes through all of this hassle, he WILL find the key in a pants or shirt pocket; inside the cushion of a chair/couch; side storage pocket in his car; behind a dresser or other place where he normally throws his keys and change; in the garage; etc.

Spyder Garage

"Click on smaller images to SEE larger photographS.

Upon delivery, the dealership gave me a small ziplock bag that included the following:

I received 2 keys. A zip tie held the 2 keys and a small tag together. The small tag has the key number in case I needed to have my key remade.

I received 2 adapters for my audio system. One was to allow me to connect my IPOD/ITOUCH/IPHONE/IPAD to my stereo system. I can control my audio device through the sound system and handlebar controls when I connect an POD/ITOUCH/IPHONE/IPAD.

I also received a connector that allowed me to connect ANY audio device with a standard RCA plug outlet. You cannot control any features of the device, but at least you can play your own music through your stereo system.

Lastly, I received a key cylinder that could be installed on the Can-Am trailer should I choose to buy that option in the future. You insert your Spyder key into the cylinder and turn and the cylinder masters the key. That way, one Spyder key serves as your ignition; can unlock your trunk and rear side storage compartments; and your trailer.

SINCE SPYDERLOVERS DOWNSIZES IMAGES, HERE IS A LINK TO SEE LARGER (AND MORE) IMAGES. CLICK HERE[/QUOTE]"

Kinda funny,,, never knew that the extra cylinder was for the trailer... Always wondered what that was about... talk about

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dochands View Post
    Size matters. An observation I've been making all of my life, one way or another.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If Can Am recommends more then 2 keys, why not provide a minumim of 3 keys ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knarfoh View Post
    I live in Ohio but chose to go to West Virginia to buy my 2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM5. I discovered, just as you did, that the U-Haul trailer would not work. Fortunately, someone in my church had 10' x 6' trailer that he and his teenage sons used to haul their ATV's. Worked like a charm.

Click on smaller images to SEE larger photographS.

SINCE SPYDERLOVERS DOWNSIZES IMAGES, HERE IS A LINK TO SEE LARGER (AND MORE) IMAGES. CLICK HERE
    My dealer(Lifestyle recreation in Mt. Vernon, WA.) gave me the same thing. They are the best in costumer service.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod