Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

Default Installation: Yoshimura pipe w/ ceramic coating

I've wanted to replace the stock muffler on my RS-S since pretty much my first week with it.

I finally got the chance to when Bullant12 forced me to buy the Yoshimura R-77 he bought for Leira (who, as it turned out, was happy with her Spyder1Attitude exhaust). It fit my criteria which was (1) better sound and performance, (2) less weight, (3) no need for fuel management, (4) less than $500.

Problem was...there was too much shiny stainless steel even on the carbon fiber version of pipe.
    IMG_5347SM.jpg

So I researched and read and fretted and read and finally decided that ceramic coating was my best option. Once I finally got the right tool to take off the springs and separate the pipe from the muffler, I sent it off to http://www.jet-hot.com. (ahem - learn from me and look through all your parts and read your instructions ahead of time. The right tool to remove the springs was provided )

It cost less than $100 including shipping to get both the pipe and the bracket coated in a satin black finish.

IMG_5470sm.jpg

A few things I learned:

The spacer, bolt and nut looked out of place in their original brass and silver finishes. So I got some high heat paint and coated them. I should have taken the time to put several coats on during the week the pipe was at Jet-Hot. But I didn't know what I didn't know. (So during some cold week in December I'll probably take it off again and give it more than just a quick coating and 20 minutes dry time!)

IMG_5563sm.jpg

I also learned that this pipe does require a gasket. Dad and I almost got stalled out on the installation because I didn't realize we would need it and had not bought a new one. Fortunately my dad is exceedingly patient and he was able to pry out the old gasket in one piece. I suspect I'll be replacing it soon, though.

All in all I'm very happy with how this turned out.

IMG_5573sm.jpg

Here's a link to a Youtube video of how it sounds.

And here's a link to an album with more pictures:

https://www.facebook.com/faran.spyde...2897893&type=3
    Last edited by FaranH; 08-12-2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: replaced video link

Spyder Garage

I also learned that this pipe does require a gasket.
    This is really good information as other may not be so lucky as to reuse the old gasket. I know the 90 I had on my Yoshi didn't require a gasket but it was a little different than your setup.

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats..!!

glad it finally came together. Looks awesome and I know the sound. Enjoy it..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Very nice. I think the Yoshi has the best sound of any pipe I've heard. Mine has lasted a long time, which cannot be said for many others. Our Spyders are very hard on exhaust components.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Other than coating the chrome did you have to mod anything else? Was this simply a snap on?
    thank u.
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Topshotta View Post
    Other than coating the chrome did you have to mod anything else? Was this simply a snap on?
    thank u.
    Well, I'd call it slip-on rather than snap-on, but no. No other mods needed to make it work. Do carefully check out the provided bolt and nut that comes with it. My nut was the wrong size and it was missing a washer. Fortunately, my dad has lots of extra stuff like that hanging around.

Spyder Garage

Looks great! Shoulda had you come over and do mine! Yoshi's got a great rep; and there's no such thing as "too much CF". Out of idle curiosity..................did they strip the finish off the pipe before ceramic coating, or coat over the top of it? TY!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Registered Users Orange monster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've been looking at the Yosh as well since that and the Two Brothers are the only options right now for the 2013. I also did not like all the chrome on the CF muffler just as you..lol... I was thinking of just using some flat black exhaust paint to cover the ugly chrome. Did you consider this option and if so what made you opt for the jet hot coating? Thanks!!!
    2013 RSS
    Grip Puppies, Calsci Tinted Shorty windshield, Garage remote mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flanker View Post
    Looks great! Shoulda had you come over and do mine! Yoshi's got a great rep; and there's no such thing as "too much CF". Out of idle curiosity..................did they strip the finish off the pipe before ceramic coating, or coat over the top of it? TY!
    I only sent off the 90 degree pipe and the bracket, neither of which were carbon fiber coated. I debated taking off the carbon fiber sleeve and sending it off too so I could get rid of ALL the chrome, but the sleeve is riveted on and I didn't want to mess with it.

As you can see from the pic below the only chrome now left is the little funnel-shaped piece that connects the pipe to the muffler (and the 2 riveted on straps). It'll dull over time anyway.

It might be interesting if someone bought their all stainless pipe and sent the whole thing off to be ceramic coated.

IMG_5573sm.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange monster View Post
    I've been looking at the Yosh as well since that and the Two Brothers are the only options right now for the 2013. I also did not like all the chrome on the CF muffler just as you..lol... I was thinking of just using some flat black exhaust paint to cover the ugly chrome. Did you consider this option and if so what made you opt for the jet hot coating? Thanks!!!
    I thought long and hard about painting. Several things led me to decide that wasn't the way to go:

1. The Yoshi pipe is stainless steel. By nature, hard to paint. I would have had to rough up the surface, prep/prime very carefully, paint very carefully, oven cure (to get the best longevity) and then cross my fingers. I got on a lot of sports bike boards and the read the results of guys who had tried high heat paint. ALL of them were mixed results at best.

2. Even if I had great results, the paint would pretty much have to be touched up every year. Ain't nobody got time for that.

3. I considered powder coating, but liked the idea of some heat control along with the protective colored coating. In the below thread MikeinGA gave me the link to Jet-Hot and I was really happy with their price and turnaround time. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ceramic+coated

For the price and the effort, it just seemed like the right move with the longest lasting result.

Spyder Garage

when i try to go to your sight to hear the pipe it says its not avaliable.This content is currently unavailable

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by napper39 View Post
    when i try to go to your sight to hear the pipe it says its not avaliable.This content is currently unavailable

Sorry about that. Here's a Youtube link instead

Spyder Garage

I installed a 77 on my RT also. Did you leave the sleeve (decibel killer) in or did you remove it. Mine was spt welded, so I left it in

Spyder Garage

I have the hindle which fits with my Corbin bags anyone know if the yoshi works with the Corbin'sCorbin's
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.” Edward Burke

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jbiancolli View Post
    I installed a 77 on my RT also. Did you leave the sleeve (decibel killer) in or did you remove it. Mine was spt welded, so I left it in
    Interestingly, they now provide it as an optional insert rather putting it in and then requiring you to take it out. I just left it off.

Spyder Garage

Thanks. They only show epa compliant (welded insert) for the RT now

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jbiancolli View Post
    Thanks. They only show epa compliant (welded insert) for the RT now
    Huh. That's odd. On the RS version they even list it as a separately provided part "Low Volume Insert" http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/images/p...df/1530202.pdf

Maybe they have some preconceived ideas about RS vs RT riders?!

Registered Users Orange monster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info on painting vs Jet Hot... The pipe sounds great!!!!
    2013 RSS
    Grip Puppies, Calsci Tinted Shorty windshield, Garage remote mod

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange monster View Post
    In can am's 2013 catalog they sell the Akrapovic Silencer for 2013s $899.99

219400444 (Sport)
    219400443 (Sport Touring)

I have stock exhaust and haven't ventured down this farkle path yet, but I thought I would mention it as another option for you.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FaranH View Post
    I've wanted to replace the stock muffler on my RS-S since pretty much my first week with it.

I finally got the chance to when Bullant12 forced me to buy the Yoshimura R-77 he bought for Leira (who, as it turned out, was happy with her Spyder1Attitude exhaust). It fit my criteria which was (1) better sound and performance, (2) less weight, (3) no need for fuel management, (4) less than $500.

Problem was...there was too much shiny stainless steel even on the carbon fiber version of pipe.
    IMG_5347SM.jpg

So I researched and read and fretted and read and finally decided that ceramic coating was my best option. Once I finally got the right tool to take off the springs and separate the pipe from the muffler, I sent it off to http://www.jet-hot.com. (ahem - learn from me and look through all your parts and read your instructions ahead of time. The right tool to remove the springs was provided )

It cost less than $100 including shipping to get both the pipe and the bracket coated in a satin black finish.

IMG_5470sm.jpg

A few things I learned:

The spacer, bolt and nut looked out of place in their original brass and silver finishes. So I got some high heat paint and coated them. I should have taken the time to put several coats on during the week the pipe was at Jet-Hot. But I didn't know what I didn't know. (So during some cold week in December I'll probably take it off again and give it more than just a quick coating and 20 minutes dry time!)

IMG_5563sm.jpg

I also learned that this pipe does require a gasket. Dad and I almost got stalled out on the installation because I didn't realize we would need it and had not bought a new one. Fortunately my dad is exceedingly patient and he was able to pry out the old gasket in one piece. I suspect I'll be replacing it soon, though.

All in all I'm very happy with how this turned out.

IMG_5573sm.jpg

Here's a link to a Youtube video of how it sounds.

And here's a link to an album with more pictures:

https://www.facebook.com/faran.spyde...2897893&type=3
    Is that a certified catalytic converter to meat the EPA standard? It looks great and sounds good with your RSS color. I have the same color 2011 RSS.

Mike

Mike

Spyder Garage

Your right it would have looked way to "girlie" with all that shiny showing. This looks just flat out frickin cool!!! nice job thanks for the install tips and sound bite.
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Congrats on the pipe... that ceramic is suh-weet!

And you lucked out on the gasket. (Ahem... had you searched around here before the install, you would have discovered you needed that 99 cent part http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...p-me-overnight)

Oh, and BTW, one of your reasons for the Yoshi was the same as mine-- "(3) no need for fuel management".

Unfortunately, be aware that this isn't true for everyone. Some RS owners find their bikes
    take to the Yoshi without any problems; sadly, my RS didn't love the Yoshi out of the box. A few weeks after running it the slowly increasing popping and backfiring led me to "pull the sweater-thread" and mod the heck out of my RS, as mentioned below. Hope you have better (read: cheaper!) luck.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...icebox-**Pro**
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Congrats on the pipe... that ceramic is suh-weet!

And you lucked out on the gasket. (Ahem... had you searched around here before the install, you would have discovered you needed that 99 cent part http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...p-me-overnight)

Oh, and BTW, one of your reasons for the Yoshi was the same as mine-- "(3) no need for fuel management".

Unfortunately, be aware that this isn't true for everyone. Some RS owners find their bikes
    take to the Yoshi without any problems; sadly, my RS didn't love the Yoshi out of the box. A few weeks after running it the slowly increasing popping and backfiring led me to "pull the sweater-thread" and mod the heck out of my RS, as mentioned below. Hope you have better (read: cheaper!) luck.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...icebox-**Pro**

I missed that post, but if I'd skimmed it quickly I still might not have quite realized it since most of the comments talk about NOT needing the gasket. I did luck out for sure.

I'm hopeful mine will "take" well. I did notice some popping on decel in 1st and 2nd gears mostly. If it only does it there, then I can live with it. But it's nice to know I do have options for fixing if needed. Now I just need to get some miles with it!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FaranH View Post
    I only sent off the 90 degree pipe and the bracket, neither of which were carbon fiber coated. I debated taking off the carbon fiber sleeve and sending it off too so I could get rid of ALL the chrome, but the sleeve is riveted on and I didn't want to mess with it.
    Aaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!! You have a sense of humor . Yes, I know you only sent the pipe and bracket in.......................you showed us photos of them in your original post. Which is why I was curious if the vendor had stripped "the pipe" (I was assuming it was a chrome plated unit, rather than polished SS) prior to ceramic coating, or if it was applied over the top of the chrome. No matter. In any event; I think it looks quite nice with the black pipe and chrome highlights on the CF can (aka muffler). Good job.........................thanks for the reply!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Flanker View Post
    Aaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!! You have a sense of humor . Yes, I know you only sent the pipe and bracket in.......................you showed us photos of them in your original post. Which is why I was curious if the vendor had stripped "the pipe" (I was assuming it was a chrome plated unit, rather than polished SS) prior to ceramic coating, or if it was applied over the top of the chrome. No matter. In any event; I think it looks quite nice with the black pipe and chrome highlights on the CF can (aka muffler). Good job.........................thanks for the reply!
    Well... as you are aware some people post questions without reading all the posts. I didn't think you were "one of those" but you might have been off your game. So I wanted to clarify just in case. And I believe it was straight polished SS so they didn't have to strip it.