Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Help with posture on RSS please.

Well, I've had this spyder for 500 miles so far, and what i'm still confused on is what is the best position to sit on it, Does your butt go back against the ridge on the seat, or do you sit up against the tank in a more straight up position? When you're sitting against the back of the seat you're not supposed to be..slouched? down with your body resting against your tailbone, but with your back somewhat straight, with the weight on your arms?

I really think i need to order a riser for my spyder to give me a more upright position. Maybe I should have gotten an ST, but I love the looks of the RSS and wanted it. Can a upholstery shop turn the RSS seat into something a bit more comfortible for a longer trip? Does anyone have the pictures of someone using perfect form when riding their RSS so i can get some ideas here.

Sorry for all the newbie questions.

Spyder Garage

RSS is more of a sport riding where you're gonna be leaning more forward, riding just down the highway I'm usually back against the seat rise but back roads and turns I'm moving around the seat and leaning.

There is a more plush seat available for them for local upholster shop may be able to soften it up some

Spyder Garage

Your riding posture should be based on your body shape/type (height, weight, arm length, leg length, etc.) and your riding style for various road conditions as mentioned above. You'll know you have the right position for you when you dismount without any new aches/pains. However, pretty much any new butt pain may require something to be done to the stock seat.

Oh yeah, I have the stock seat with the ESI 4" risers. Also, don't use a death grip on the handle bars. You'll just need to practice, practice, practice to develop your own riding style.
    Last edited by wyliec; 08-11-2013 at 07:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail View Post
    Well, I've had this spyder for 500 miles so far, and what i'm still confused on is what is the best position to sit on it, Does your butt go back against the ridge on the seat, or do you sit up against the tank in a more straight up position? When you're sitting against the back of the seat you're not supposed to be..slouched? down with your body resting against your tailbone, but with your back somewhat straight, with the weight on your arms?

I really think i need to order a riser for my spyder to give me a more upright position. Maybe I should have gotten an ST, but I love the looks of the RSS and wanted it. Can a upholstery shop turn the RSS seat into something a bit more comfortible for a longer trip? Does anyone have the pictures of someone using perfect form when riding their RSS so i can get some ideas here.

Sorry for all the newbie questions.

I think Wyliec is correct about posture based on body shape/type. I bought my RS used and it already had the 4" risers. I have sat on an RS without the risers and I can tell you that having the risers makes for a more enjoyable ride, especially for road trips. Regarding the seat, mine had the stock and it was ok at first, but for long rides, it was not comfortable. I installed the BRP Comfort seat and it made the RS so much more enjoyable. I usually sit with my butt against the ridge on the seat. There are other seat choices such as Ultimate, Corbin, and Russell Day-Long to consider as well. I'm sure you will hear from other SL members that have those brands, but I sure do like the comfort seat.
    Last edited by Web Runner; 08-11-2013 at 08:20 PM.
    2010 Full Moon Silver RS SE5

Spyder Garage

Get some boards that put your feet forward a bit and then some risers and you'll have a good comfortable riding position.
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

The intention is for the rider to sit with his rear against the bumstop. If you must slide forward, handlebar risers or a modified seat would be of benefit, but there are no rules about where to sit on the seat. The RS (RSS) seating position is meant to be crouched, with head forward and feet back. For a different position, modifications woukld be necessary, or a different model Spyder. The ST has a more relaxed leg position and more upright torso/head, the RT has a chair-like leg position and the most upright torso. The riders height, weight, inseam, torso length, and arm length will change his/her relationship to the machine...each rider is different. As was said, the RT seat won't fit, and the RT or ST handlebars won't fit. There are aftermarket handlebar risers, aftermarket windshields, and aftermarket or custom seats than can adjust your position and riding comfort. There are also highway pegs or footboards, as well as driver's backrests if you want an even more leg forward position.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I looked at the ST when i was considering buying my spyder, but did not like how it looked with the large lights on the front of it. Perfered the RSS look over it. I just ordered the BRP spacer tonight, and saw that there are a few options that are slightly cheaper than the rivco floorboards, like the mini ones from kuryakan, and theres a set from a company i can't find any info on called phoenix products. Not looking for a huge floorboard, but something a bit bigger than pegs will be nice. I always feel like i'm applying the brake when i know im not as my toe touches the brake pedal when my foot is on the peg, but i know it takes a good bit of downward travel before it starts to apply.

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I looked at the ST when i was considering buying my spyder, but did not like how it looked with the large lights on the front of it. Perfered the RSS look over it. I just ordered the BRP spacer tonight, and saw that there are a few options that are slightly cheaper than the rivco floorboards, like the mini ones from kuryakan, and theres a set from a company i can't find any info on called phoenix products. Not looking for a huge floorboard, but something a bit bigger than pegs will be nice. I always feel like i'm applying the brake when i know im not as my toe touches the brake pedal when my foot is on the peg, but i know it takes a good bit of downward travel before it starts to apply.

If you are going to do all that work of removing handlebars for a BRP spacer isn't it only 1 inch. Buy the Spyder City 3 inch spacer you will be more happy

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Beware of the toe on the brake pedal! Although it takes pressure on the pedal to apply the brakes, it doesn't take as much to activate "Limp Mode".

Spyder Garage

The brp spacer will barely be noticeable
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

I looked at the ST when i was considering buying my spyder, but did not like how it looked with the large lights on the front of it. Perfered the RSS look over it. I just ordered the BRP spacer tonight, and saw that there are a few options that are slightly cheaper than the rivco floorboards, like the mini ones from kuryakan, and theres a set from a company i can't find any info on called phoenix products. Not looking for a huge floorboard, but something a bit bigger than pegs will be nice.
    Don't you need peg adapters for the kuryakyn mini's? I only mention that b/c that will add to the price. If you're attaching the mini's forward from the original peg location, like I did, you'll also be paying for mounting brackets.

Very Active Member sealfloorboards's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I had my "09 RS, I added 5" Helibar raisers. That and a 25" windshield plus my Seal Floorboards gave me a very comfortable riding position. Check out my Yellow/black RS on my website.

Ride in comfort,
    John
    sealfloorboards.com

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stormtrooper View Post
    If you are going to do all that work of removing handlebars for a BRP spacer isn't it only 1 inch. Buy the Spyder City 3 inch spacer you will be more happy
    The Spyder City 3 inch riser is good for me with the Ultimate seat that puts you about 1 inch more forward with a Definite hump on the seat.

Be advised the actual height of the Spyder City riser is 2 3/8 inches!!!!

The black one is 2 3/8 inch the silver is 2 inches that I sold!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

I agree the Heli bar risers are great without having to cut the bars, I also have the Cumfort seat and ISCI floor boards and the riding position is greatly improved more like the STS comfort with RSS good looks.
    Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    The brp spacer will barely be noticeable
    Actually, the RSS i test drove was a 2013, and i didnt mind the seating position on it at all and felt it was just right, over the 2012 i purchased which lacks the 1 inch spacer, I must be one of the few people the 1 inch spacer is perfect for.

To the poster who said about the mini boards, I thought the ones i saw came with them, But maybe they didnt. Has anyone had experience with the phoenix ones?

Spyder Garage

Default ISCI Adjustable Handle Bars

Not to highjack the thread or anything, but we do offer a nice set of adjustable bars for the RS to fit most anyone. If having to lean over is an issue this could solve the problem. Let me know if I can be of help.

Billy
    ISCI Billy

1-800-838-9421
    www.isciride.com

Spyder Garage

For me I found the use of risers on the rss to be less comfortable. It causes you to sit more upright but your knees and legs are still being bent backwards in more of a sportbike angle, which I find more comfortable when leaned over with the stock handlebars.
    however if you use risers in conjunction with floorboards that allow you to open your leg angles to a more upright position (think knees 90 degrees like a chair) it creates a more forgiving position.
    I still prefer the stock position for seriously hauling but life is full of compromises.
    also this is only my experience and your mileage is guaranteed to vary

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For me, at 5ft 8, I found the one inch riser and highway pegs works well, allowing sport riding and some touring. If I were doing more than 350 miles per day, I would want taller risers though, or an RT. The stock seat suits me well, but most people seem to opt for more comfort. Each individual is different. You will just have to experiment till you find your personal sweet spot, I'm afraid.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Whitetail,
    don't apologize for any questions; unless they're ones that you didn't ask!
    This all ultimately boils down to figuring out what it takes for YOU to be comfortable on the bike; nobody in here can tell you what that'll take.
    The GS/RS models are blessed with an abundance of options as far as to getting the 'bars at the proper height for you.
    But... changing the bars will also probably make you want to change other items; windshield height and footpeg postioning come to mind!
    Do you have the BRP Comfort Seat on your bike yet? A lot of folks have mentioned that it seems to work pretty well...
    Again; the aftermarket is just screaming with options...
    Floorboards: Seal makes a great one. John got started with boards for the GE/RS models, and I've yet to hear anybody complain about them. I personally use ISCI 'Boards on my RT and have been 100% happy with them. There's a whole bunch of other high-quality choices out there as well.
    As much as this hurts ; I'd suggest making changes to the seat first, then the bars (in small incremental amounts), then the windshield, and finally the pegs or floorboard options...
    Good Luck, and Happy Hunting!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So i went an adjusted the parking brake on my spyder today, now it wont roll away. Those of you who have installed spacers on your bars, did you do it yourself, or did you have the dealer do it? Ive got the spacer instructions, and it doesn't seem that Hard, I just need a Tq Wrench to do it with.

Spyder Garage

Actually, the RSS i test drove was a 2013, and i didnt mind the seating position on it at all and felt it was just right, over the 2012 i purchased which lacks the 1 inch spacer, I must be one of the few people the 1 inch spacer is perfect for.

To the poster who said about the mini boards, I thought the ones i saw came with them, But maybe they didnt. Has anyone had experience with the phoenix ones?
    I bought the Phoenix Boards, one of the first things I up graded. They definatey helped now can put heels on the front rather than middle of foot on OEM peg. Had to get thier shifter also was little too close to board, cant seem to upload pics will try again...Doug

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you don't have a torque wrench; just pay close attention to how much effort it took to get it off... just put it back rogether with about the same amount!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Think from my IPHONE can upload a pic of my Phoenix pieces...Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

What most posters said about riding position. I ended up putting a Corbin seat and backrest on my GS. The seat, in conjunction with the 3" risers, worked well for me as far as sitting position. I am 5' 5" tall.

Don't remember if I mentioned it here, but recently rented a Spyder RS in stock mode. It was very tough for me to ride since I am now used to the sitting position on an RT.

Here is a fully farkled GS--1 year before they introduced the RT's.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 08-17-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CANUCK SPYDER View Post
    Think from my IPHONE can upload a pic of my Phoenix pieces...Doug
    That is a very nice set up and a great choice for the RS.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.