Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS IS A " QUOTE " OUT OF CONTEXT ! ! !

[QUOTE=lapirow;678935]
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post

If you have even tire wear on the outside edge you have TOO MUCH TOE IN....and you need to remove some of the toe ( lessen it ).
    The front suspension is 2 "A" arms attached to a stub axle. I can understand that the "tilt" of the wheel (I believe this to be camber) may vary throughout the total sweep of suspension movement (up and down) but I don't see how toe-in is clearly affected. I understand toe-in to refer to the degree by which the wheel deviates from "straight ahead". I know I have messed with this on sidecars to balance the tendency of wind load to turn the outfit to the left (remember I am in Oz and we ride on the correct side of the road). If toe-in were significantly affected by an increase in ride height the wheel alignment procedure in the manual would specify setting it with a load on board. My best guess is that as the wheel travels up and down, the tie rods are effectively lengthened and shortened by reason of the change in angle caused by movement of the stub axle being pulled "in" (toe-out) or pushed "out" (toe-in) and the change should be uniform, right & left. With good measuring equipment it should be something that can be quantified and so a judgment can be made of the need for probable adjustment to the wheel alignment .
    lapirow; is quoteing something I said quite awhile ago and He has left a LOT out.........He told US that his tires were wearing out faster on the outside edges and the WEAR was fairly EVEN all around the tire ........To the BEST of my knowledge and Scotty may want to chime in here this indicates TO MUCH TOE IN ....The WHY there is a Balance is something BRP has figuered into the GEOMETRY of the way they designed the front suspension......I hope this clears this up ..Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry Sorry

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;678990]
    Quote Originally Posted by lapirow View Post

lapirow; is quoteing something I said quite awhile ago and He has left a LOT out.........He told US that his tires were wearing out faster on the outside edges and the WEAR was fairly EVEN all around the tire ........To the BEST of my knowledge and Scotty may want to chime in here this indicates TO MUCH TOE IN ....The WHY there is a Balance is something BRP has figuered into the GEOMETRY of the way they designed the front suspension......I hope this clears this up ..Mike
    I was not intending to offend. I was trying to work out the effect of change of a component / alignment in one area with alignment in another. Had I been better able to set out the comment on my Android phone, maybe I would have done it better. It took me about 3 days to work out the Akerman linkage. "Car" type suspensions are so much more difficult to understand than "bike" ones.

Spyder Garage

Default OFFEND ? ? ?

[QUOTE=lapirow;683847]

I was not intending to offend. I was trying to work out the effect of change of a component / alignment in one area with alignment in another. Had I been better able to set out the comment on my Android phone, maybe I would have done it better. It took me about 3 days to work out the Akerman linkage. "Car" type suspensions are so much more difficult to understand than "bike" ones.
    Where do you get me being offended ? ? ?.........If you ever OFFEND me I'll let you know in no un-certain terms..........My Post to Your Post was to clarify that you left out a lot of the original problem................PS , I just happen to like using different colors and larger type.
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-05-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It makes it easier for my eyeballs to see too!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

who wants ice cream?
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;683923]
    Quote Originally Posted by lapirow View Post

Where do you get me being offended ? ? ?.........If you ever OFFEND me I'll let you know in no un-certain terms..........My Post to Your Post was to clarify that you left out a lot of the original problem................PS , I just happen to like using different colors and larger type.
    Maybe we should all start using different colors and larger & larger type...

After all, arent our posts just as interesting as yours?

This might get interesting....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can we sneak back to suspension cycling and alignment issues for a moment?
    Thanks!
    Alignment will change as the suspension cycles, because the steering and suspension are actually moving on the same axis...
    What does that mean?
    You tune and adjust for the best compromise that you can get, or you redesign the entire front-end of the bike another time...
    That's my very simple version; it fits in my very simple mind!

Spyder Garage

Default being mis-quoted

[QUOTE=cjackg;684047]

Maybe we should all start using different colors and larger & larger type...

After all, arent our posts just as interesting as yours?

This might get interesting....
    ...I'll wager that I am the most mis-quoted person on this Forum......................case-in-point....I never said anything about my posts being more or less interesting.........Go figure.........I think it's JEALOUSY plain and simple .......and I love Icons.........Mike