Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Getting towed to the dealer tomorrow !

Have laundry list for the dealer hope they will fix it all , prepping unit to sell !

1. Kill switch bad , soon as you tap it bike shuts off.
    2. Thumping sound coming from left front , thinking sway bar
    3. Rear brake light stays on , not all the time
    4. Brakes scream and screech like hell .
    5. Bike turned off couple times in 90 degree whether.
    6. After bike warms up , on take off I hear a grinding noise as I let go off the clutch
    7. Odometer rpm dash is loose , I can move it side to side up and down .
    8. The heat on left side it's a killer . I should not have to put a banded on a $20.000.00 Bike.

Had the bike since April only 1500 miles on it . First service done early at 540 miles only cus it was at the dealer 4 times already . As I said before way too many issues with the bike and dealer and certainly way too much money to be going thru nothing but problems.

ironically the bike is lots of fun to ride !
    I will not miss it thou
    hope fully if they fix every thing maybe I will give it to the wife or its sold !

Spyder Garage

Default PROBLEMS

I'm very sorry to hear of your problems. You may have bought a lemon, but in many cases dealer assembly is the culprit. If all the problems get repaired I hope you will give it another chance. A trouble-free Spyder is a blast to ride!!
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

Default Sad news..!!

Do hope they will get it back in shape for you..check it and see if they do get it done and ryde again and if not you the wife..they are great machines once they are set up right..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Edsts View Post
    Have laundry list for the dealer hope they will fix it all , prepping unit to sell !

1. Kill switch bad , soon as you tap it bike shuts off.
    2. Thumping sound coming from left front , thinking sway bar
    3. Rear brake light stays on , not all the time
    4. Brakes scream and screech like hell .
    5. Bike turned off couple times in 90 degree whether.
    6. After bike warms up , on take off I hear a grinding noise as I let go off the clutch
    7. Odometer rpm dash is loose , I can move it side to side up and down .
    8. The heat on left side it's a killer . I should not have to put a banded on a $20.000.00 Bike.

Had the bike since April only 1500 miles on it . First service done early at 540 miles only cus it was at the dealer 4 times already . As I said before way too many issues with the bike and dealer and certainly way too much money to be going thru nothing but problems.

ironically the bike is lots of fun to ride !
    I will not miss it thou
    hope fully if they fix every thing maybe I will give it to the wife or its sold !
    I had your problems 1 (on an RT), 3, and 8 (On my ST). I agree that the problems may be frustrating, and you have experienced more than most, but as you state...when dialed in and running well, these things are a blast. You may want to look into a different dealership for your service work repairs as it seems like the techs at your current shop may not be quite up to par. Through reading this forum, i have learned that ones experience with their Can Am is largely based on expertise of dealer prep and competency of service technicians for repairs. I hope your Spyder stays in your family, but if not, i'll be looking fpr your sales post as im looking for a second for my girlfriend. I didn't anticipate her wanting to drive my ST...now it's time to get her one of her own and reclaim mine back

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks guys your feeling my pain !

Definitely have learned a lot being on here , with all the issues I am having I would only go for short rides and stay local as my confidence level is low , nervous bout getting stuck , I was trying to wait to take it in for service as I know the dealer is going to keep it a couple of days if not weeks , but the turning off has gotten worse .

I will let you guys know the out come .

Spyder Garage

I assume you're not actually towing it to the dealer? Hauling it on a trailer right? Because you can't just pull it behind another vehicle
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

prepping unit to sell
    Hopefully you don't take it to bad in the backside financially, Good Luck.
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

Default Bike going on flat bed truck

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    I assume you're not actually towing it to the dealer? Hauling it on a trailer right? Because you can't just pull it behind another vehicle

Bike also under warranty ,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It really sounds like a lot of your issues may be dealer related. I agree with the others that you may want to try a different dealer. I know that sucks and shouldn't be necessary but if you want your Spyder fixed you may have to do that. I hope that they get everything fixed for you and get you back on the road.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Say it ain't so dealer trying hard not to get bad re !

I totally went after the dealer direct to BBB , consumer affairs , BRP,face book and twitter to let consumer know my ordeal . Now many on here said to find another dealer . I just could not let it go . This dealer boast bout being the biggest in the east coast , they boast bout the 50 thousand square feet building they got , lastly they boast bout there state of the art 3 to 4 bay door service dept . Looky wat it took for them to pay more attention to Spyder owners all my questions answered my Spyder being worked on , today I received an update on progress and with that said other Spyder owners are seeing a sudden turnaround . We as consumers some times have to let dealers know the expectations of the customer . I owned my own business and things do not always go perfectly well . When you have a hand full of customers complaining bout crapy service you band together and train that dealer . Yes a lot of the problems are from bad preparation of the Bike combine that with very poor design from the manufacture . I have a commitment from several people at the dealer that they will be attentive to all Spyder needs .

Conclusion parts ordered kill switch bad , brake switch bad , brakes clean tech mention it's been a problem with brakes squeaking , dash clusters realign and stationary , Check over all bike .

We have to remember as bike riders , enthusiast theses can am cost quite a buck dealers also make a hefty profit any where from 4 to 8 thousand in profits as per a big mouth sales rep / marketer at the dealer ship . It's time for dealers to be held accountable for their advertisement of sales , service and commitment to the customer .

Spyder Garage

Yes a lot of the problems are from bad preparation of the Bike combine that with very poor design from the manufacture.
    Why do you say it is "a very poor design?". What expertise do you base this statement on?

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Default Just by being an owner and riding the unit .

Quote Originally Posted by quickster47 View Post
    Why do you say it is "a very poor design?". What expertise do you base this statement on?

Carl
    Just two factors 1. The heat issue is out of control . You should be riding in a comfort state not worrying after couple of miles not to squeeze the side wall cus it's way to hot . In my opinion they should have design the unit to dispense the heat better. A consumer Spends $ 20.000 and should not have to put a brandade on it.

2. They should have equipped the unit with a bigger battery , the dealer advise me you have to plug the unit every night to the tender , my town lost power for a day and a half , Spyder went dead. I think that's poor design , suppose you go camping or just to a sleep over you have to now look for a plug in station .

Most products made get tested under extreme conditions . It's amazing BRP did not realize just these two factors were gonna be an issue .

Ironically I have to admit the unit major fun to ride , I can do with out these 2 factors thou .

Spyder Garage

A battery doesn't drain because it is big or small, it drains because something is draining it.

Only thing that would be on w key out would be a security system of some sort...but w minimum drain. Not sure if these have such a system or if possibly you have an accessory drain or a short?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    A battery doesn't drain because it is big or small, it drains because something is draining it.

Only thing that would be on w key out would be a security system of some sort...but w minimum drain. Not sure if these have such a system or if possibly you have an accessory drain or a short?
    Unfortunately your dealer doesn't understand, or he would not have mentioned the battery tender thing. The Spyder battery will drain over time from parasitic losses, but it should take several weeks, a little sooner in freezing weather. I only put a tender on mine when it sits idle during winter storage. A bigger battery will last a bit longer, but won't prevent the loss. The problem needs to be traced, identified, and remedied.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So... Who's the dealer?? If you're contacting the BBB about them; maybe we'd like to see a name.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default The winner is

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    So... Who's the dealer?? If you're contacting the BBB about them; maybe we'd like to see a name.

Motorcycle mall !
    Allow me to do the research for ya , www.bbb.org
    under : BBB found business made good efforts to resolve complaint but customer not satisfied with business response.

Problem with product and service. On 6/6/13 and 7/19/13 .

Spyder Garage

Default Correct me if imma wrong ,

My tech just inform me a battery is only needed to start any vehicle , found it amazingly weird he prove it to me by starting one of my company vans this morning then while van running he remove the battery cables . The van stood running . Some thing bout alternater generating electricity around the engine keeping the van running. The minute we turn on an accessory like the radio the van shut off . Tech explain to me had the can am had a bigger battery the unit would not die out easly . Goes to point these unit have a regular size motorcycle battery .

With a bigger battery would it drain to cause the Spyder not to start .

My sts is completely stock have not added no accessories neither do I want to at this point since its practically sold when it come back from the dealer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's a bit like comparing apples, to chainsaws...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default I do not have a radio in sts.

Van running find out doing deliveries , lol
    I don't have the limited curious whats drawing that much power hope fully the dealer will figure it out . Thanks for the input thou .
    Last edited by Edsts; 08-15-2013 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Spelling

Spyder Garage

Van running find out doing deliveries , lol
    I don't have the limited curious whats drawing that much power hope fully the dealer will figure it out . Thanks for the input thou .
    The dealer has to go through one system (fuse) at a time, looking for excess current draw. With no radio, I would suspect a bad rectifier/regulator.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Scotty, that's what I was going to say. I've found that some techs don't know how to properly troubleshoot a magneto system.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    I'm very sorry to hear of your problems. You may have bought a lemon, but in many cases dealer assembly is the culprit. If all the problems get repaired I hope you will give it another chance. A trouble-free Spyder is a blast to ride!!
    dealer assembly doesn't account for 5 bolts and clip nuts left off at the factory.....sloppy craftsmanship ....I had spares and put them in place.... but my spares are running LOW...