Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Wow buddy, glad you are relatively okay! That could have turned out MUCH worse than it did. Here in VA, we are required to do the helmet thing, but I wouldn't care one way or another. I figure I'll get hit sooner or later (Or slide, or crash, etc), and I want to remember who I am afterwards...or at least increase my chances. I've worked far too many Emergency Dept shifts to see any value in not wearing a helmet (My opinion! don't jump on me! We all know how opinions are!)

Best wishes and hopes for a speedy recovery. The motorcycle can always be replaced. You? Not so much.
    A real biker doesn't care about your opinion on his lifestyle, or his choice of steed.

Spyder Garage

Glad you are ok.

Spyder Garage

Dude! Gnarly pics...........................glad to hear you're no worse off than you are! Bleepin' smacktard! Hire a good mouth piece and GET SOME Bro!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Default Sad news..!!

really glad you were fortunate to have come out of it as well as you did..your right two wheeler and you would not fared as well. But the spyder is way passed boo boo. Take all the time to heal and hope it will not be too long..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The fellow biker who stopped to stay with me until the ambulance arrived said to me "was that a custom paint job". I couldn't move of course but I said to him "what do you mean was" and said bro it is for sure a was!

Thanks for all the well wishes and the orthopedic surgeon is up next week for sure. The ER Doc referred me to him right away.

I will say though looking straight up while laying on asphalt with this massive pain between your shoulder blades will scare the bejeebers out of you.

Everyone stay safe and enjoy the rest of your riding season.
    2011 RTS SM5

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

Wow. So glad you're OK. Thanks for sharing. It's always amazing to me when there are relatively minor injuries from an impact like that.

Spyder Garage

Damn that sucks! But like you said, your here to talk about it. Heal quickly. Tom

Spyder Garage

You did not make the news and that's a good thing. Hope you heal fast and completely.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Please be sure to give us an update next week on how you are doing.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Glad your relatively OK!

As one who has been involved with someone who was negligent (I will never call mine an accident as it wasn't), I can attest to both the helmet and the Spyder. Like you, I wouldn't be here if I had been on my Wing.

Make sure you take care of yourself for a full recovery!
    ----
    USAF Retired (1986 - 2006)
    Ohio PGR Ride Captain
    Riding with Dignity, Honor and Respect

Spyder Garage

Glad you ok speedy recovery to you , hope everything works out for ya

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Buttsy,
    I'm sorry that I'm late to getting around to reading about this...
    It's probably going to take some time for you to sort out what just, 'hurts", and what is truly "injured" on your frame. Don't allow a quick rush to judgement come back to bite you later!
    My 2010 survived a frontal impact to be repaired; but the bike was only a year-old at the time... My guess is that yours will be considered a total loss.
    My repair bill was almost $13,000, and I didn't have as much damage up front as yours is showing...
    It's probably for the best...
    But I'm glad to hear that you are basically in pretty darn good shape...
    And welcome to the "Spyder Crash-Test-Dummy Club"; the one club that none of us want to join! crash-test dummy.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks again for all the kind words.............It is funny Bob just yesterday I was telling my care giver (devoted wife) that I was almost to the point of being able to answer someone when they asked "what hurts", to this point the answer truly has been EVERYTHING. Insurance company has been OK so far and they have noted their threshold for "writing off" a motorcycle is much less percentage wise then a normal car. They have said it is extremely rare for them to fix them. However it will be interesting what they say after they figure out what a Spyder is and what is actually allegedly worth. Here is what makes me "puke" at this point, I know it is fresh (only a week) but at this point my already cautious passenger is saying no way, never again will she ride. We kinda rediscovered ourselves (kids are now older) on this thing and our relationship as this was always our time.............and sorry for this but some little punk a*$ b#%^* gets to take this away from me. Perhaps if I was a religious man I could find the strength to forgive or to truly believe accidents happen, but sadly I can't.
    Last edited by Buttsy; 08-11-2013 at 09:00 AM.
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyder Garage

I'm really glad to hear that your injuries weren't much worse . . . and it looks like that helmet was worth every penny you spent on it, and then some! Insist on the finest medical care, as the other guy's insurance company is paying . . . also insist of a new replacement, to include the cost of your custom paint, and anything else you did to it. Perhaps you should get an attorney who specializes in accidents rather than dealing with his insurance company or yours. He or she will know how to protect your interests much better than you will . . . as your pain and suffering is also a factor, not just the cost of the Spyder.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    I have a stable fracture of my C1 Vertabrae in my neck, road rash on my knees and arms and face. Bruises and pulled and stretched muscles everywhere. But I am alive to type about it..............

Buttsy, so glad you're not seriously injured. I would however suggest that you get a second opinion SOONER rather than later. To my limited medical knowledge there is NO SUCH THING as a "stable" C1 fracture Please seek a second opinion from a nerurosurgeon
    There are stable cervical fractures and are treated with orthotics and braces. However, getting a second opinion in this case is an excellent idea.

Buttsy,

Glad you're doing as well as you are. Speedy recovery to you.
    Last edited by wyliec; 08-11-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post
    Here is what makes me "puke" at this point, I know it is fresh (only a week) but at this point my already cautious passenger is saying no way, never again will she ride. We kinda rediscovered ourselves (kids are now older) on this thing and our relationship as this was always our time.............and sorry for this but some little punk a*$ b#%^* gets to take this away from me. .
    Now... everybody in here knows just how good I am at trying to spend other peoples' money...

Perhaps you can take this "lemon" of a situation, and make some lemonade out of it...
    Other doors might now be open!

ACE 01.jpg
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Keep working with her maybe she will come around. Remind her cars have accidents every day and if you were in one this probably would have happened anyway. Maybe less maybe more injuries. Remind about how much fun you both have had. I had a self inflicted bike wreck 30yrs ago that should have killed me. Landed on my head ( with helmet on) was knocked out for 30 min and still pay the price in my neck and back to this day but had and rode many bikes through the years. This one seems to becoming a keeper and my wife & I are doing the same thing you did using it to get closer. Tell her that is what you enjoy the most about riding a Spyder how it brings you and her together and the fun you have. Keep the good memories fresh and get well soon
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Please be sure to give us an update next week on how you are doing.
    Update........still waiting to see the orthopedic surgeon won't be until early September. I certainly have quit finding "new" damage at this point and I am starting to heel up from the bumps, tears and bruises! Today the adjuster called to tell me the Spyder did in fact "lay down" and sacrifice itself so I could live to see another day. They will be calling back tomorrow with their "offer" on the payout. Everyone involved is absolutely amazed at the Spyder and how it took the impact. 2010 Ford Fusion that hit me crumpled up like a dinky car but the Spyder stayed on all 3 wheels and without a doubt saved my life or at the very least my leg. Trust me the "Limp Home" and "Purge Valve" and "Heat" issues mean nothing, the engineering that has gone into the safety on this thing is priceless when you have to use it.
    2011 RTS SM5