Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spyder fires

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Dog6 View Post
    Anyone have a suggestion on where to mount a fire Extinguisher? Just saying!
    I would mount it somewhere handy but not sure where that would be. Anyplace other than an external mount is going to require opening a compartment and that could take more time than you have.

An external mount ain't gonna be real attractive either.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

I have a small extinguisher & First Aid kit onboard in the RRunk...thinking to help out a motorist some day not the dragon I ride. Saving a Spyder that just started to burn could leave more remains for a conclusive forensic study.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I doubt that a fire extinguisher would have done me any good. The fire started under the tupperware so I don't know how I could have gotten to the source.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

OK everyone. Boiling gas??? What??? Please explain!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I doubt that a fire extinguisher would have done me any good. The fire started under the tupperware so I don't know how I could have gotten to the source.
    For a fire extinguisher to work in the situation SpyderAnn01 had, you'd need to get the nozzle inside, somehow . . . and not knowing where the fire was coming from, it still might not work. Perhaps a CO2 extinguisher, shoved into the panel where you inspect the oil might help, if done early, but you'd need to remain up close and personal, right next to a gas tank. I think a paraphrasing of Oliver Goldsmith's poem applies: "For he who fights and runs away may live to ryde another day. "

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default fire extingisher

if my spyder catchs fire please let it burn ,once it starts I think I would want a new one!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default FIRE

After reading about this I bought a fire extinguisher for my Spyder. It might not do any good if a fire was under a panel, but at least I feel better having one.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default No problems (yet) with my 2013 RT Ltd

Bought mine in May this year and have not noticed any fumes in my garage. I usually pull straight in to the garage after a ride....however, you can bet that I won't be filling it to the top anymore after reading these posts.

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by maliamd View Post
    OK everyone. Boiling gas??? What??? Please explain!
    Not as big of a deal as it may sound.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?55006-Okay-now-I-am-paranoid-2012-RTS-SE5-Boiling-gas&highlight=boiling

Spyder Garage

Did you know that a 5 lb. fire extinguisher is only good for about 5 seconds of spraying time. No gas fire is going to be out in that time frame especially under the Tupperware.

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm with the others. In the off chance your Spyder or any vehicle catches fire, grab our extinguisher and get as far away as possible. The extinguisher may come in handy to put something else out if need be.

Spyder Garage

I too am in the "let her burn.." camp - unless it is in the garage. And that is just to save the other bikes and the house. BTW..I get the strong fuel odor when parking in the garage. Think I all let her sit in the driveway to cool for a bit whenever possible.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Rocket View Post
    Did you know that a 5 lb. fire extinguisher is only good for about 5 seconds of spraying time. No gas fire is going to be out in that time frame especially under the Tupperware.
    But

I worked for a fire protection contractor in Michigan so you would think I would know something about fire extinguishers but I don't. I totoally agree with you on this one though 5 seconds of spraying time wouldn't have done much.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Fire extinguishers are rated for the water equivalency for Class A fires and the number of square feet of Class B:C fires they can extinguish. Those ratings are based on an open fire, where the extinguisher discharge can be aimed at the base of the flames, with a trained and experienced user. In real life the extiguishers may be less effective. A 1-A:10-B:C extinguisher can extinguish a 10 square foot class B (flammable liquid) fire. A Class C rating means it is also suitable for use on energized electrical equipment. That same extinguisher has the euivalent of 1.25 gallons of water on a Class A (other combustible materials) fire. That isn't very much water to put on burning plastic, rubber, or upholstery BTW. Some extinguishers don't carry a Class A rating at all. The typical small extinguisher for automotive use is not usually Class A rated.

In a race car, the purpose of an on-board extinguisher is to quell the fire long enough for the driver to stop the vehicle and get away safely. Remember that the driver is also wearing a fire suit that can provide protection from the flames and heat for several seconds. Firefighting efforts following the escape of the driver are usually in the interest of cooling the fuel to prevent an explosion, if possible. If it can be safely done, the vehicle may be left to burn, with firefighting efforts from a safe distance being limited to preventing the spread of the fire. A burned vehicle is usually a total loss.

In my opinion, from years of racing, race track first response duties, and safety training, is to stop the vehicle, retreat to a safe distance, and call 911. Trying to access a fire extinguisher and put out the flames yourself, especially where direct access to the source of the flames is limited, is both futile and foolhardy. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Not much you can do when the fire's under the tupperware.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Default Gas situation

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    When we first bought ours in June last year, I overfilled the tank on my first fill up. for about 3 weeks after, I smelled strong gas fumes after riding. Then, they just went away. it's been over a year, and we've put almost 14,000 miles on it, and the smell hasn't come back.

I'd be curious to look at 2 machines side by side - one with the smell, and one without to see if there is anything obvious.
    At the time my gas tank was 1/2 full when I smelled those fumes with it parked in my garage vs. the barn and after moving it from barn to the garage while on vacation.

I fill the spyder very very slowly and once it clicks I do not go any further. So I don't get it.
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

Default Why not do what the do on boats for fire extinguishers

On boats now with inboard engines, the have a fire extinguisher "PORT" when a fire starts you put the nozzle of the extinguisher into the port and fire the extinguisher and supposedly the fire will be put out and you do not need to worry about opening the engine cover to get to the fire.

Could they simply do something like this and put the ports near where the fires have been originating as a "In-case" thing? Just a thought!
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
    On boats now with inboard engines, the have a fire extinguisher "PORT" when a fire starts you put the nozzle of the extinguisher into the port and fire the extinguisher and supposedly the fire will be put out and you do not need to worry about opening the engine cover to get to the fire.

Could they simply do something like this and put the ports near where the fires have been originating as a "In-case" thing? Just a thought!
    Isn't it a requirement that boats must carry fire extinguishers? Since that requirement is already in place I could see where a manufacturer would want to do something to make using the extinguisher more productive. That could then be seen as a selling point on their boat rather than giving the impression that the manufacturer knows that their boat may burn up. I just don't see anything like that happening on Spyders or any vehicles for that matter and I don't really think that the cost would be justified.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Plus if BRP put a fire port in the Tupperware, they would be admitting to a problem and thus a need for it.
    I don't see that happening.

However I could see someone making a new product (farkle) by having a nice chrome etc port add on

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    Not much you can do when the fire's under the tupperware.
    Now come on folks. All this talk about having a fire extinguisher being place on our 's is just wrong. We shouldn't have to worry about our 's catching fire. BRP needs to step up to the plate and admit there is a problem and get it solved ASAP. The next fire may cost someone their lives. If mine ever catches fire, heaven forbid, I say let her burn, thats why we have insurance on our bikes. BRP needs to fix the problem pronto.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

PACKING the gas in at a fill up, does nothing
    more than fill the evap-canister. the same as
    it does in cars/trucks. so... when the nozzel
    shuts off. STOP!!!

if you pack more fuel in... it will smell for a
    while. if you don't pack it in... you simply get
    to have a stretch break sooner. stink or stretch...
    what's your preferrence?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydeRider2010 View Post
    PACKING the gas in at a fill up, does nothing
    more than fill the evap-canister. the same as
    it does in cars/trucks. so... when the nozzel
    shuts off. STOP!!!

if you pack more fuel in... it will smell for a
    while. if you don't pack it in... you simply get
    to have a stretch break sooner. stink or stretch...
    what's your preferrence?
    I've never "packed more fuel in" . . . I've ridden two wheelers and I fill my Spyder the same way . . . I watch the level and stop when it is "near" the top, not sloshing out around the nozzle. But, from day one, I have had a very strong gas smell when I park in the garage when it is hot. That is why I stop outside and let it cool, now . . . but those gas fumes are coming from somewhere. I assumed it was normal because I'd seen so many posts about it, so I didn't bring it up at my 600 mile. I have to make an appointment for the 2013-6 service bulletin (finally heard back from the dealer after another email) and I plan to discuss the gas smell at that time. BRP wrapped the gas tank in Tupperware, rather than mounting it on top, like a two wheeler . . . that ensures it gets hotter than other motorcycles, so I don't understand why they didn't insulate it well. If BRP is reading these posts, I'd gladly pay more for a Spyder if the tank was insulated and the pipes wrapped or ceramic coated, to minimize heat buildup in the Tupperware. I am reluctant to do anything like that on my own in fear that they might claim I voided the warranty for something.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Near the fire... Sorry... couldn't resist.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas fumes

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    I've never "packed more fuel in" . . . I've ridden two wheelers and I fill my Spyder the same way . . . I watch the level and stop when it is "near" the top, not sloshing out around the nozzle. But, from day one, I have had a very strong gas smell when I park in the garage when it is hot. That is why I stop outside and let it cool, now . . . but those gas fumes are coming from somewhere. I assumed it was normal because I'd seen so many posts about it, so I didn't bring it up at my 600 mile. I have to make an appointment for the 2013-6 service bulletin (finally heard back from the dealer after another email) and I plan to discuss the gas smell at that time. BRP wrapped the gas tank in Tupperware, rather than mounting it on top, like a two wheeler . . . that ensures it gets hotter than other motorcycles, so I don't understand why they didn't insulate it well. If BRP is reading these posts, I'd gladly pay more for a Spyder if the tank was insulated and the pipes wrapped or ceramic coated, to minimize heat buildup in the Tupperware. I am reluctant to do anything like that on my own in fear that they might claim I voided the warranty for something.
    It isn't just the 2013's but older models as well. I have a 2012 RT ltd and this past Sunday after one ride I pulled up to my friends waiting to go on another and they smell a strong gas smell from the right side. I had not even had a chance to shut it off. It was a raw gas smell enough to start a fire. I UNDERSTAND BRP KNOWS OF THE PROBLEM AND IT ISN'T JUST THE 2013. THEY TOLD A CUSTOMER WHO HAS THAT PROBLEM TO SHUT IF OFF AND LET IT SIT FOR 5 MINS THEN PUSH IT IN THE GARAGE. WELL WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU STOP AT A LIGHT, ETC AND IT CATCHES FIRE???

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I don't have boiling gas, just a hot a-- Have an appointment at 9 AM tomorrow. Rode for about 4 hours Sunday. The seat was so hot I had to put a tee shirt over the seat and glove compartment. Also went into limp mode (Engine overheat) Before the tee shirt.