Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default The Spyder is an idiot magnet but not idiot Proof

Normally I leave the cover on my Spyder here at the resort on the weekends when we have the large crowds here, but I had plans to ride more on Sunday and had the cover off. I saw a group of people around my Spyder so decided to investigate. There was a guy on the Spyder pushing all the buttons and switches and had the emergency flashers on.
    It turned out that this group was from a local motorcycle club and were on a poker run for charity. I managed to keep my cool, only because I don't want to make an enemy and have them come back later and damage the Spyder. I did not know that one could turn on the emergency flashers without the key.
    Don't just dream the dream! Live the dream! Sent from my coconut using tap-a-nut. Spyderlovers Southern-Most Member.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Fin View Post
    I did not know that one could turn on the emergency flashers without the key.
    Yes, you don't need the key, Same with all vehicles. Other wise if you had to leave it on the side of the road you'll have to leave the keys with it....

As far as people playing with your ride , Whatcha gonna do?...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sounds as if you need a Trunk Monkey...

Or is it a FRUNK Monkey?

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No Joke! I've come out a few times now and found people on mine. A few times I've come out and noticed the passenger pegs flipped down...I know they aren't coming down on their own...

I started out using an alarm with a proximity sensor but have been using the half cover more often. The half cover keeps them off...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe that there's a vendor on EBay that sells a sort of deat cover that you can really thow on the bike quickly... I tattaches to the handlebars up front. (Much smaller than the travel covers)
    I'm not sure of the pricing...

Very Active Member Spyderjockey's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Or is it a FRUNK Monkey?

Gotta love that monkey!!
    Corbin Bags and Corbin trailer hitch
    Shark 250 Watt Sound System with 2 speakers in front 1 in back
    Kurakyn Highway Foot Pegs
    Garmin nuvi 1450 LMT with Ram Mount
    F1 Queen Slider Windshield
    Power Outlet
    Shark communtication system
    SDC L.E.D. 6" Tail/Brake Light
    Gremlin Bell from Tail of the Dragon ride
    Cortech tank bag
    Kewlmetal adjustable handlebars
    Elkas Shocks all the way around
    Utopia Backrest

Love my Spyder!!!

Spyder Garage

I came out of a local Best Buy store to see a man taking pictures of my Spyder (not unusual)...

... with his two children sitting on it! (I'm hoping is very unusual)

I walked up to him and said, "Please take your children off my motorcycle.", which he promptly did with apologies.

What was he thinking???
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

... that he hoped he could get away with it...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    I came out of a local Best Buy store to see a man taking pictures of my Spyder (not unusual)...

I walked up to him and said, "Please take your children off my motorcycle.", which he promptly did with apologies.

What was he thinking???
    " WOW IT WON'T FALL OVER IF I PUT THE KIDS ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!" that's what he was thinking!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

What was he thinking???
    I charge 5$ for a picture and 10$ if somebody is sitting on the spyder?

Spyder Garage

I am getting a proximity alarm for mine.

I have read far to many stories like this AND a local guy I met here in Cali had it happen to him as well.
    I was in a store and walked out to see 3 people looking at mine and right about that instant, I could tell one guy was about to sit on it but when he saw me with my helmet, he stopped. So it was about to happen to me too.

So I think it is more common than a 2 wheeler!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

There is no way I would have kept my cool. I admire you for that. Of all the people who would know to stay the hell off your spyder you would think a motorcycle owner would.
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

My wife and I were just leaving a restaurant to find a small child sitting on the seat of my Spyder. The child was kicking the side of the bike with his shoes saying giddyup horses. The mom was standing right beside the child while this was occurring. I approached the mom and said, excuse me but your child is scuffing up the sides of my Spyder. She apologized and removed her child. I kept my cool and took a rag out of the trunk to make sure there was no damage. Lucky the scuff marks whipped off. This has never occurred with any of the two wheelers I have owned.

Spyder Garage

I arrived at a local dealer to pick up my Spyder after a service, and one of the salesmen had customers sitting on my Spyder (each outweighed me, and I'm NOT small). When I what the heqq he was doing, he said that they wanted to sit on a Spyder with all of my accessories...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I started out using an alarm with a proximity sensor but have been using the half cover more often. The half cover keeps them off...
    I bought the half-cover at the time of my Spyder purchase...best investment i've made. Nobody has tampered with it when it's on, but the times i've been too lazy to put it on, i've seen evidence of tampering (heated handgrips on HOT, passenger floorboards down, Nav mount moved, etc.) I am now much more litigious about putting the half-cover on.

Makes me wonder what they'd feel if they came out of the grocery store to find me, a 6'3" 230lb black male, sitting behind the wheel of their car. Somehow, I believe the reaction would involve 3 little numbers...9-1-1.

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

I have the Gorilla 8017 alarm with two way pager.

This alarm stops theft four different ways:

• LED warning light indicates that your alarm is armed providing a visual deterrent against theft
    • Motion tilt sensor - Not used with Spyder
    • Current drain sensor stops hotwiring by activating the alarm when there is a current drop in the motorcycles electrical system
    • 2-Stage shock sensor activates the alarm upon any impact to the motorcycle. Set the sensitivity to any of the 7 levels depending on the surroundings - I keep this at a mid setting to keep casual passers by from triggering it. If someone yanks on the handel-bars, one of the luggage doors or sits on it, the 120 DB alarm sends them to change their underwear.

When the alarm goes off I get a page and can come running. It was worth every $ I payed for it.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder Tony View Post
    I bought the half-cover at the time of my Spyder purchase...best investment i've made. Nobody has tampered with it when it's on, but the times i've been too lazy to put it on, i've seen evidence of tampering (heated handgrips on HOT, passenger floorboards down, Nav mount moved, etc.) I am now much more litigious about putting the half-cover on.

Makes me wonder what they'd feel if they came out of the grocery store to find me, a 6'3" 230lb black male, sitting behind the wheel of their car. Somehow, I believe the reaction would involve 3 little numbers...9-1-1.
    Make sure you turn the windshield wipers on, and adjust anything else you feel like messing with while you're there
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Spyder Garage

Guess that means if they buy it, you get the commission!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    I arrived at a local dealer to pick up my Spyder after a service, and one of the salesmen had customers sitting on my Spyder (each outweighed me, and I'm NOT small). When I what the heqq he was doing, he said that they wanted to sit on a Spyder with all of my accessories...
    ("It is a great day for hockey." Bob "Badger" Johnson)

KM6KSQ

2021 Blue RT Spyder
    Comfort Seat
    BajaRon Bar

2012 Bronze RT-Limited Spyder ///SOLD///
    Inspector Gadgets Floorboards $150 & Highway Pegs $65, BajaRon Bar, Corbin Seat & Armrests

2008 Yellow GS SM5 Spyder ///SOLD///
    Corbin Seat, Seal Floorboards, 3" risers, CalSci windshield, DWG Speakers, Spyder front and back decal, passenger foot peg extensions.

2015 Yellow Chevy Camaro Convertible

Spyder Garage

Default Here is your sign...!

My 2009 SE5 has an alarm with a proximity sensor.
    That has not prevented people to mess with the Spyder, even when the alarm first chirps and then finally sounds because they are way too close, or the Spyder is slightly moved (vibration sensor).
    Once in a trip, I was in my hotel room, and heard the alarm sounding incessantly.
    I went down to investigate, and as I approached I found a guest's little kid bouncing on the Corbin seat like there was no tomorrow, while the parents were looking at the scene very fondly...
    Just by looking at my face they realized I was mad as hell and promptly removed the kid and started apologizing.
    I asked the father what he would think if I did the same on his 4x4's hood, which was parked close by.
    He did not answer and just walked away...
    Unfortunately the hotel did not have one of those "STUPID" signs available...
    "Limitations only exist in the mind..."

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Fin View Post
    Normally I leave the cover on my Spyder here at the resort on the weekends when we have the large crowds here, but I had plans to ride more on Sunday and had the cover off. I saw a group of people around my Spyder so decided to investigate. There was a guy on the Spyder pushing all the buttons and switches and had the emergency flashers on.
    It turned out that this group was from a local motorcycle club and were on a poker run for charity. I managed to keep my cool, only because I don't want to make an enemy and have them come back later and damage the Spyder. I did not know that one could turn on the emergency flashers without the key.
    I would have said to the guy on my Spyder, "Dude, since you've mounted my bike, I'm sure you won't mind if I mount your Old Lady. You good with that?"

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    I would have said to the guy on my Spyder, "Dude, since you've mounted my bike, I'm sure you won't mind if I mount your Old Lady. You good with that?"

Only of her old lady was as good as the spyder! Otherwise he might tell you yes!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Idiot proof

It's useless to try to make anything idiot proof because they just keep making better idiots all the time.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

To the original thread title... design anything to be idiot proof and you will discover that idiots can be amazingly resourceful.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Thinking.

What was he thinking???
    He was just like so many today. He was not thinking about anything but taking a photo of his kids. If stupid hurt more maybe there would be less of it going around!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well at least they asked me before if they can have their babies pictures. But one person stop at the parking lot and asked me if my can brake the sound barrier I humbly said yes.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod