Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Once that valve dropped into the cylinder it took out everything else. That valve won't compress like the fuel charge and then other things start to break down the line (rod, cylinder timing gears, ect) when that piston tries to compress that valve ( which ain't goin to happen ). That is all damage from that valve dropping.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dabreitbach View Post
    Once that valve dropped into the cylinder it took out everything else. That valve won't compress like the fuel charge and then other things start to break down the line (rod, cylinder timing gears, ect) when that piston tries to compress that valve ( which ain't goin to happen ). That is all damage from that valve dropping.
    Not so sure...the rod looks twisted, which would not be typical of damage from a dropped valve head. Yes, it could have bent and twisted when the piston hit the valve, but it would not be common...more often just a bent rod. The possibility of big end rod bearing damage is high when you see such a twist (look for play in the big end when twisted). The damaged timing gear (?) is more likely a cause than a sympton of a damaged valve...especially when the head snapped off cleanly. Tghe amount of piston and head damage is significant, but not as catastrophic as you would expect if there was enough mayhem to bend the rod. There is certainly more to this story. JMHO
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3tracs View Post

They told me that BRP is very interested in what happened and my technician will be calling them and sending the pics for evaluation. I've been impressed with all the help Metro Can-Am has provided, and am also very grateful that BRP is in contact with them about my Spyder.

I'd appreciate all your thoughts onwhat to do next. I'm still hopeful for a good outcome and look forward to getting 3Tracs back on his tires!

Thanks for checking in and stay tuned!
    Here's another update;

BRP had asked my dealer to investigate further, which they did (see the pictures in post #1). They were told that even though my Spyder is out of warranty that were not "shutting the door" on helping out. I would have been thankful for any assistance.

Well, BRP "shut the door". My dealer called Monday to check status and was told in not so many words that none would be considered.

Now my dealer is in a pickle because they had related to me that BRP was interested in what happened, and would help, so they spent their time and money taking out the motor for diagnosis. And now, nothing.

So my question to you all is this: what could I have done to prevent this dropped valve? I have never red lined my Spyder, I've never even chirped the tire! It's my baby and has been treated as such.

I now have a $13,000 paperweight at the dealer, one that I still owe $3000 on... :confused:

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Happy Former-Spyder owner!
    2008 SM5 PE# 3518 / Intense Blue Pearl (sold 2014)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

IMO, YOU could not have done anything to prevent the valve breaking. Sometimes things just happen. And while I'm disappointed that BRP "shut the door", I'm not surprised. You are well past the time portion of the warranty. All that being said, I think I would have to reach out and contact BRP on my own and see if their couldn't be a reasonable compromise brought forth for both parties. I don't think you are out of options here, your mileage to failure certainly isn't the norm for these engines, but it will take some patience and detective work on your part. If the valve just plain broke, there will be telltale signs as mentioned earlier. The BUDS system will reveal if you had a light throttle hand over time, and if you have maintenance records, that would show you took care of the beast according to their maintenance schedule. All that adds up to encourage BRP help out. If you choose to rebuild, (I'm a once bitten kind of fellow) I'd contact Kibblewhite and see if they can make a set of their Black Diamond valves for you, to ensure some longevity for the second go round. A head, cylinder, valve kit, gaskets, piston, (hopefully the connecting-rod isn't tweaked) and labor would have to be weighed against a new replacement engine, or maybe a used engine from a wrecked Spyder (or maybe an Aprilia bike.. same engine different trans) as a heart donor for the transplant. Good luck to you, it sounds like the dealer has been willing to help out so far, I hope BRP rethinks their decision. That's really low miles for a catastrophic failure.

Spyder Garage

I am surprised that BRP is sort of throwing you to the wolves. IMO--not a great customer service move. I say this, providing you have not abused the when it was in your control. As mentioned, BUDS can help determine that factor.

Catastrophic engine failures are fairly rare, and should be considered carefully by the manufacturer.

I would also recommend on discussing the issue with BRP. You seem to have a cool head about you, and that will go a long way in dealing with BRP.

Please keep us posted on how this all plays out. The Rotax engine is supposed to be good on longevity. A failure at less than 14,000 miles is way out of the ordinary.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Hope you can work things out. Have to agree with AK on this one.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not trying to be a dick, but sorry all, I have to side with BRP on this one....Why would BRP assume ANY liability for the repair on a 5 year old machine that is almost a year out of warranty?? 14k isn't a ton of miles but it isn't "new" either. Come on now....Sure it sucks, but it isn't BRP's responsibility. The failure is just one of those things that can happen on ANYTHING mechanical we own. All of us have to assume some responsibility when we keep these machines or any other machine outside of the warranty period.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Would have to agree with DrewNJ...

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Both parties are in a dificult position with this:
    3tracs is looking at an astronomical repair bill...
    and BRP is looking at setting themselves up to cover everything that breaks on every bike... forever!
    I'm sorry to hear that you're in this miserable position; perhaps a negotiated sharing of the costs can be arranged?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Not trying to be a dick, but sorry all, I have to side with BRP on this one....Why would BRP assume ANY liability for the repair on a 5 year old machine that is almost a year out of warranty?? 14k isn't a ton of miles but it isn't "new" either. Come on now....Sure it sucks, but it isn't BRP's responsibility. The failure is just one of those things that can happen on ANYTHING mechanical we own. All of us have to assume some responsibility when we keep these machines or any other machine outside of the warranty period.
    I agree; but, BRP needs to be consistent with repairs out of warranty. There was a member about a year or 2 ago whose VCM (I think I have the correct terminology) needed to be replaced outside of the warranty period. BRP picked up the tab. I can't remember his name other than he was from the southwest and may still be here.

The only reason I remember was that he was still able to drive the spyder with the (supposed) faulty VCM; but, didn't have the money to have his spyder checked out to make sure what the actual problem was. At the time he wasn't sure if it was the VCM; other members had pointed him in that direction.
    Last edited by wyliec; 08-23-2013 at 06:31 AM.

Spyder Garage

I have been watching this one. Would have been nice if BRP did step up and do something, but then that opens the door to other out of warranty problems. I would look for a complete engine from another bike. Maybe BRP was not expecting such a complete failure.

Spyder Garage

Default 3tracs, here's the post............

I was looking for regarding BRP covering a part out of warranty. You can read all the posts or go to #28 & 36.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...imp-Mode/page2
    Last edited by wyliec; 08-23-2013 at 06:34 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    I was looking for regarding BRP covering a part out of warranty. You can read all the posts or go to #28 & 36.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...imp-Mode/page2
    There are also threads about BRP replacing fender brackets outside of warranty. However, there is a big difference in absorbing bracket and vcm costs for customer relations vs absorbing the cost of an entire motor with several internal mechanical moving parts that really nobody knows the history of except the OP.

Believe me, I feel the OP's pain, but also don't feel BRP is doing anything wrong here. It's just the world we live in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

There is a Rotax 990 engine 32k miles for sale on the Aprilia RF1 website right now... 500.00 in So Cal. That would get you all the basic parts to put your ride back together.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

There are at least 2 spyder motors on E-Bay for sale. Not sure I would attempt a rebuild on your old core unless the rebuilder stood behind it, and you trust them.
    Most motors from totaled bikes are not damaged, and a reputable salvage yard will back them. ASK before you buy, also your Credit Card may give you some purchase protection. Yes, there are MC salvage yards. Good Luck

Very Active Member Silvervette05's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have an 08 sm5 with 10,750 miles on it.

Spyder Garage

Default Wha Happened ?

What became of the bike ? Did you eventually get it fixed ? Dispose of it ? Part it out ? Leave it at the dealer to have his way with it to try and recoup the money he was out in the diagnose ? Are you still riding a Spyder ?

Kevin

Spyder Garage

It was four years ago and he is probably not on here anymore.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Also agree. Way old post (2013). Reading through it I saw many who are no longer with the site. Most of the advice given was good too. It would have been nice to know the final outcome. We get a lot of that on here. The problem gets discussed and the final solution is never posted.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post

It was four years ago and he is probably not on here anymore.

Jack
    His last visit was 8/16/16.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.