Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default First oil change on 2013 ST-S

I have had my ST-S for 2 weeks and have 640 miles, and I have already got my oil filters and o-rings for the change, here is the question. Is it to early to go to a full synthetic oil I have heard some opinions that you should wait until the 2nd oil change before using full synthetic in a new motor, to give it more time to break in.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Nothing wrong with going to a full synthetic now.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Since the oil changes are Now 4,600 Miles I would and did go to synthetic!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 1st oil change

Just passing this along for what it's worth. Every rebuilt engine I have installed have had a "Caution" about synthetic oil. It says to wait until 10,000 miles before switching to synthetic because synthetic oil does not allow enough friction to properly seat the valves.

Spyder Garage

Personally, I would wait, but that is just me. BRP does not specify any different oil, accepting either type from day one if it meets their spec. The first production Spyders had full synthetic from the factory. The theory is that the "slipperier" full synthetic will impede break-in, but modern engines are pretty well broken in from day one as far as seating of rings and such, so it should make little difference. Do whatever your conscience and pocketbook tell you to do. There is no right and wrong.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users Orange monster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Does the ST not require a dealer visit for the first service at 600 miles? I normally do my own oil changes but when I bought my RSS the dealer said BRP requires them to do the first checkup of they could void my warranty if I couldn't prove I checked and adjusted all the other things. I just got mine done this weekend, dealer charged me $200 even. When I spoke to the tech he said he checked the alignment, adjusted the belt tension, changed the oil, torqued lugs and hubs, oiled or lubed something on the font end, pulled plugs and inspected and cleaned them, adjusted parking break, and some other minor stuff. How could I prove I did all of that? And I surely don't have the equipment to check the alignment and belt tension.
    2013 RSS
    Grip Puppies, Calsci Tinted Shorty windshield, Garage remote mod

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange monster View Post
    Does the ST not require a dealer visit for the first service at 600 miles? I normally do my own oil changes but when I bought my RSS the dealer said BRP requires them to do the first checkup of they could void my warranty if I couldn't prove I checked and adjusted all the other things. I just got mine done this weekend, dealer charged me $200 even. When I spoke to the tech he said he checked the alignment, adjusted the belt tension, changed the oil, torqued lugs and hubs, oiled or lubed something on the font end, pulled plugs and inspected and cleaned them, adjusted parking break, and some other minor stuff. How could I prove I did all of that? And I surely don't have the equipment to check the alignment and belt tension.
    I have mine at the dealer right now getting my 600 mile checkup. I was also told and think it makes sense to let the dealer do the 600 mile inspection. If anything goes wrong it's on Can-Am. My dealer told me it is fine for me to do the regular oil changes after the 600 mile.

Spyder Garage

I seriously doubt the did all that, especially the plugs; they're a bitch to get at. $200 is about 2 hours labor; your oil and filter/s about $50, leaving $150 for labor. He just listed a bunch of stuff to make it sound good....in my opinion.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    I seriously doubt the did all that, especially the plugs; they're a bitch to get at. $200 is about 2 hours labor; your oil and filter/s about $50, leaving $150 for labor. He just listed a bunch of stuff to make it sound good....in my opinion.
    While that is very possible they only charged me $200 but the bill was $275, but with my 30% discount for purchasing the spyder there and since I paid in cash they only charged $200. When I asked about the alignment and belt he said both were off and needed adjusting. For $200 it's worth the piece of mind for me and they got the spyder back to me by 1pm the same day!!!😁
    2013 RSS

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rthomp32 View Post
    It says to wait until 10,000 miles before switching to synthetic because synthetic oil does not allow enough friction to properly seat the valves.
    Oil has nothing to do with valves seating.The valve faces and valve seats are bare metel to metal contact.If oil is present,you have a ploblem.

The piston rings are what seats or wear in.
    2011 RT LTD. Pearl White

Spyder Garage

pulled plugs and inspected and cleaned them,
    Do they really spend all that time to just clean the plugs?Why would they need to be cleaned at only 600 miles?.
    2011 RT LTD. Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder4Tess View Post
    Do they really spend all that time to just clean the plugs?Why would they need to be cleaned at only 600 miles?.
    I don't think it's for cleaning but primarily to check for a lean condition that could cause engine damage. When I asked they responded with "since they are out we will clean them up". I don't know what all would be involved in pulling the plugs on this machine but that is something I have done in the past with all my ATV's and HD's. Very quick and easy way to check the health of the engine when the motor is exposed.
    2013 RSS

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder4Tess View Post
    Oil has nothing to do with valves seating.The valve faces and valve seats are bare metel to metal contact.If oil is present,you have a ploblem.

The piston rings are what seats or wear in.
    , That's usually the way it works....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Those things highlighted in red are not part of the 600 mile check and I would be very surprised if they were really done. Keeping a maintenance log and receipts for oil and filters are proof you performed the required maintenance. Checking the alignment and replacing the spark plugs are only required every 14,000 miles.

Silver Shadow
    2013 RT-S Lamonster Edition (vented windshield,
    NBV highway pegs, Two Brothers exhaust)
    Additional Mods: SpyderPops BumpSkid, Elka 1+ shocks, BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar

A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to “The United States of America,” for an amount of “up to and including my life.”

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    Those things highlighted in red are not part of the 600 mile check and I would be very surprised if they were really done. Keeping a maintenance log and receipts for oil and filters are proof you performed the required maintenance. Checking the alignment and replacing the spark plugs are only required every 14,000 miles.
    A good dealer will do these extra things, required or not. Checking the plugs is simpler on the RS, especially the rear plug. Checking fasteners is common practice, too. Checking belt alignment is standard for my dealer every time a Spyder comes into the shop for any reason, and is always done as part of the adjustment procedure. I'm not sure why so many owners are so skeptical of their service reports...maybe techs around here are just better than elsewhere. It's a sad world where nobody trusts anybody else. Even if the stated work was not done, just the standard maintenance, the price was reasonable for a 600 mile service. There is no reason to gripe, IMO. There is certainly no reason for others to doubt what was said and throw rocks, if the work was not done to their machines. As long as the OP is satisfied, that is all that matters.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I took it in at 590 miles because they replaced the ball joints and front shocks, I told them to complete the first service minus the oil change as I like to do that myself on all my vehicles. When I picked it up he said they adjusted my belt cleaned the battery terms check for any codes or updates then said there was no charge for anything, and I did go with the full synthetic.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 600 Miles

I got my 2012 RT Limited with 550 miles on it and before I picked it up the dealer did the 600 mile service and did not charge me. The salesperson told me that 600 mile service was $500. I don't know if he said that to make me feel good or what. He also said all the little adjustments and recall items that was associated with the the 2012 had all been taken care of. Anyway it did make me feel good to know that it was checked over and all the oil, filters and whatever was done.