Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kuhmo vs Toyo

Spyder Garage

Default Kuhmo vs Toyo

I've narrowed my rear tire choices down to the kuhmo ecsta and the Toyo proxes 4. I'm leaning toward the Toyo. Any advice/suggestions before I order?
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderRx View Post
    I've narrowed my rear tire choices down to the kuhmo ecsta and the Toyo proxes 4. I'm leaning toward the Toyo. Any advice/suggestions before I order?
    Don't know if this is any help.....But I liked my KUMHO, ...but on my RSS I tried the GENERAL ALTIMAX 185/60-14 and I think I like that better than the Kumho........Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-02-2013 at 06:45 AM.

Spyder Garage

Had both. Toyo by a longshot. Better ride, lighter and traction was similar.

Spyder Garage

Perfect timing, Looks like I might be replacing front and backs at same time since it's almost time for 14000 mile maintenance. So now I have idea for back tire, are there any recommendations for front tires for 2012 RT.

Bill

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wolfee View Post
    Perfect timing, Looks like I might be replacing front and backs at same time since it's almost time for 14000 mile maintenance. So now I have idea for back tire, are there any recommendations for front tires for 2012 RT.

Bill
    I put these on the front and love them. I could tell a difference in handling once I switched to these. yokohomas 175/65r14 65k mi warranty
    17 F3 Limited (Pearl White), Sena 10C intercom, X Grip iPhone mount, IPS key, spyder to go cup holder, Lamonster Highway Center Lane, TricLED engine lights, TricLED night rider, LS2 Helmets, Lamonster Bypass pipe, 2 Brothers Exhaust, mirror relocator kit, Bluetooth radio module, OEM Backrest, Rear LED Light Kit

2017 F3-T , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default KUMHO

i have KUMHO's at all 3 corners... i have the AST 225/50-R15 out back, and it's the second one i've had... i rode out to UTAH from SoCar and it handled very well in every condition... we hit 95 degree weather, rain, sleet, wind and had 100% confidence in my tires... i got well over 20,000 miles out of my 1st KUMHO, and i'm hard on excelerations...

the Toyo's are also a very good tire... you won't go wrong with either choice... just keep the rubber on the road, and you'll be OK....
    SAM_0517.jpg
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 07-28-2013 at 07:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    i have KUMHO's at all 3 corners... i have the AST 225/50-R15 out back, and it's the second one i've had... i rode out to UTAH from SoCar and it handled very well in every condition... we hit 95 degree weather, rail, sleet, wind and had 100% confidence in my tires... i got well over 20,000 miles out of my 1st KUMHO, and i'm hard on excellerations...

the Toyo's are also a very good tire... you won't go wrong with either choice... just keep the rubber on the road, and you'll be OK....
    SAM_0517.jpg
    i'm sitting at just over 10k on the rear and i'm through the wear bar. is that normal with the stock tire?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Arguing about tires is about like the Blondes versus Brunettes versus Redheads debates.
    The correct answer is still most likely going to be "YES"
    They're all pretty decent, and there's very few riders out there that could push any of them to a point where shortcomings would be an issue...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    i'm sitting at just over 10k on the rear and i'm through the wear bar. is that normal with the stock tire?
    Yes. The stock tires are not very good quality and wear out quickly compared to better quality tires.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got 7,000 miles out of the OEM, and 8,000 out of a Falken ZE912...
    I'm now giving the Kumho a workout!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRES VS. TIRES

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Arguing about tires is about like the Blondes versus Brunettes versus Redheads debates.
    They're all pretty decent, and there's very few riders out there that could push any of them to a point where shortcomings would be an issue...
    Sorry Bob, but I don't think " PRETTY DECENT " really cuts it in todays available market............and KENDA'S are not at the TOP of anybody list of great tires or even good tires for that matter..........I think they got the " LOW BIDDER " deal...........that's just plain scary ...... mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-02-2013 at 06:46 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    testing takes time 15,000/20,000 miles hard to remember handling....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Sorry Bob, but I don't think " PRETTY DECENT " really cuts it in todays available market............and KENDA'S are not a the TOP of anybody list of great tires or even good tires for that matter..........I think they got the " LOW BIDDER " deal...........that's just plain scary ...... mike
    I was referring to the aftermarket choices only... The Kendas aren't a bad paperweight!

Spyder Garage

Toyo... I ran the Kuhmo last time... The toyo is sticky in all conditions and way way way better in the rain/standing water.
    WackyDan - Fun, not crazy.
    Charlotte (Matthews), NC
    Silver Moon SM5 - V35 and V46 Givis, CHAD, Motolight 35w steering lights, Dash Powerlets, Helibar risers, Garage door opener, Eastern Beaver PC-8, Digital voltmeter, Kewl Metal Intake, Evoluzione Sway Bar, RT Shocks and Juice Box PRO.
    *Mower deck in development*
    2008 model -new in crate, April 09
    26,000 miles.

Looking for other Charlotte area riders to cruise with and compare Spyders.

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WackyDan View Post
    Toyo... I ran the Kuhmo last time... The toyo is sticky in all conditions and way way way better in the rain/standing water.
    How many miles did you get out of the Toyo?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default GOOGLE

i GOOGLEd KENDA TIRES... n what i found was, they make millions of tires for lawn equipment, small utility trailers for lawn tractors, golf cart tires, etc etc etc.... all SLOW SPEED applications......

datz y i didn't replace my tires with them... i want something that has integrity, mileage, gripping abilities and can handle other adverse conditions...
    016.jpg
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 07-31-2013 at 01:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

The Toyo better is all the way around and also more money, the problem it is no longer made, so grab what's in stock. The kumho is a good tire for the price.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    ISCI Floorboards, Ebrake extension peg, Hand Brake, and hyway pegs, tjfisher2 passenger peg extension, BRP 23" Ultra Touring Windshied, Backrest, Fog Lights, 12volt accessory plug, NMN 4" handlebar risers, Auto Zone red LEDs, BRP Comfort seat, Evoluzione sway bar, powerbus, powerlets and air shock.

Spyder Garage

Default OEM TIRE

i think i got around 7000 miles out of the OEM TIRE, KENDA.....

again, i'm heavy on the gas when taking off....

but then again... from 7000 from the OEM's to ova 20,000 miles on the KUMHO's, i'm voting with the KUMHO's....
    001.jpg

Spyder Garage

Ordered the Toyo tonight. Got it from onlinetire for $112 shipped.
    http://www.onlinetires.com/products/...4+95v+bsw.html
    2014 Silver Platinum ST Limited: Mods so far: fog lights, passenger backrest, ultimate seat w/driver backrest, rivco drink holder bracket with ram x-grip cell phone holder

Spyder Garage

I had the toyo T1R and now the Toyo Proxes 4, been happy with both.

Spyder Garage

Default Rainy day rear tire observations

Maybe a couple thousand more than that, by most folks.

I'm on my first Kumho rear tire, with about 10,000 on it, using 28 psi. Wearing well and great on dry pavement. Twice I've found myself "accelerating normally" with light rain on the road and the rear tire broke loose - not badly, guess the anti-slip part of the system works pretty well. I should have been ready this morning - I was accelerating on the Northbound entrance to I75, where there is a huge truck stop. As I rolled the throttle on in second, the bike took a left serve at the rear and it sure got my attention. Once off I75 and then GA 20 it was county road and the crummy private roads where we live. I was super careful, due to the light rain, slowing 10 mph below posted speed, on the sharper curves. Curves were fine and I slowed several times (no traffic) and started up a little faster than normal and couldn't get the K to loosen up at all. I should have gone around to our road that goes up a real steep hill where my Prius looses traction (momentarily) all the time when it's wet - just like Nany, the lights come on too. Our Cherokee gets put in 4 wheel drive when the road is wet at all, it's awful in 2WD. The Spyder handles that hill well, it's a steady 20 to 25 mph, but requires a good handful of throttle to do that, normally in 2nd to keep the rpms up.

Hate to go sliding off into the woods on my Spyder though, maybe that wouldn't be any fun. The downhill portion of this hill has an accident every month or two because the morons don't slow down and slide into a ditch and the woods between the lanes. Did I mention the curves??

I guess most tires will act like the K does, on the wet stuff, especially if you're not paying attention and it's an oily lookin "on ramp."

Tuck

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have over 8k miles on my original tires and can't see any wear yet. I have the 2012 RT Limited. I do drive the bike much more slowly than I did my 2 wheeler tho, especially in turns.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I ordered a Toyo tonight from onlinetires.com $102.30 delivered. A little more expensive than the Kumho but sounds like a better tire. Time will tell but I'm betting it will be a lot better than the Kenda. The Kenda is worn out at 11,900 miles which is about what I got on the Kenda on my 2010 RT also.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anne,
    Your opinion will be the one that I want to hear...
    You've piled up enough miles; I figure you'll be able to give a good honest comparisonof all of the tires that you've used up.

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I ordered a Toyo tonight from onlinetires.com $102.30 delivered. A little more expensive than the Kumho but sounds like a better tire. Time will tell but I'm betting it will be a lot better than the Kenda. The Kenda is worn out at 11,900 miles which is about what I got on the Kenda on my 2010 RT also.
    i too just ordered one 106.00 for me. i guess all depends on where you live ev1 gets a diff total.currently have 15k on my oem rear.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.