Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I rode a tri glide this week end my comparison

I spent 2 hours on a tri glide this weekend solo and with passenger
    1 the passenger is less noticeable with the weight on the solid axle on the tri
    2 the kickback and steering effort are far greater on the tri
    3 the brakes are better on the tri
    4 the feeling of control especially in corners is much better on the spyder
    5 the tri doesn't feel that powerful with so much weight
    6 the tri is very clunky in shifting and feels and is much slower than the spyder
    7 I don't like being blocked of road view by windshield tri and it was hot
    8 the seating position isn't comfortable for me at 6ft 4 in tall all my weight is on my but and I'm leaning backwards and holding myself with my arm not to fall back
    9 I melted my boot on the pipe you can't respond to brake or shift near as fast with forward controls on the tri
    10 the gear indicator only tells your when your in 6th not lower gears on the tri
    11 fun factor way more on spyder
    12 tri was impressive but defiantly not for me
    2 happy happy spyders

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the review, I also drove one prior to buying my spyder and thought the steering was very difficult.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Spyder Garage

Good review . . . thanks. I almost bought one instead of the Spyder . . . rode both and went with the RT Limited . . . not a single regret!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Tri-Glides just feel different...
    I felt pretty much at home on the one I rode; the roll-on power in thrd gear was righteous!
    But the controls just felt a bit less... refined.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I rode a Tri, a Goldwing and a BMW trike. The Goldwing and BMW were a LOT better riding experience than the HD, but all 3 gave me a reason to like my more... they have a BIG behind!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the report. I've never tried a tri, but if I hadn't already decided on a Spyder I might have gone that way. At least I could get it serviced locally, and being ignorant of anything better I might have been happy. But now I'm spoiled by my
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I test drove one prior to the Spyder. Although I didn't melt a boot your other observations were pretty much what I felt.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    I spent 2 hours on a tri glide this weekend solo and with passenger
    1 the passenger is less noticeable with the weight on the solid axle on the tri
    2 the kickback and steering effort are far greater on the tri
    3 the brakes are better on the tri
    4 the feeling of control especially in corners is much better on the spyder
    5 the tri doesn't feel that powerful with so much weight
    6 the tri is very clunky in shifting and feels and is much slower than the spyder
    7 I don't like being blocked of road view by windshield tri and it was hot
    8 the seating position isn't comfortable for me at 6ft 4 in tall all my weight is on my but and I'm leaning backwards and holding myself with my arm not to fall back
    9 I melted my boot on the pipe you can't respond to brake or shift near as fast with forward controls on the tri
    10 the gear indicator only tells your when your in 6th not lower gears on the tri
    11 fun factor way more on spyder
    12 tri was impressive but defiantly not for me
    I test rode the RTSE5 and Tri Glide back to back about 30 minutes apart last month.

Sterring effort much easier on the Spyder.
    I found the brakes on the Spyder to be superior than the Tri
    Power on the Tri was lacking in all gears
    Clunky shifting, yup.
    The rear pipe did give off plenty of heat
    All the controls of both bike fit me good.
    I was way more impressed with the Spyder!
    The Spyder felt like a sports car. The Tri? Well, a truck.

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see..!!

They are different beasts. I agree with your review one other factor is the road conditions with weather. Although the roads here are great in rain the center tends to be slippery. Found the trikes to be a bit squirrely and the spyder loses some traction. Rather lose the traction. Both have their followers but I find many tri riders are more true to the brand than happy with it..jmo...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I find many tri riders are more true to the brand than happy with it..jmo...
    Couldn't agree with that statement more. They are mostly loyal extremists. Used to be one myself then I was converted.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Spyder vs. Tri-Glide is 21st Century technology vs. 20th Century technology. The current Harleys are simply refined 1950s technology. Not to knock the Harleys. I owned one and loved it. But the nearest thing to modern on it was fuel injection.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I owned several big Harleys, a sportster as well.

I rode the triglide, I found it okay, but the price was above my reach. I found the spyder to be nice and in my price range. I am learning daily, only have had it for 5 days now. They are different rides and suit different people... So far I am very happy with my choice...

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the great write up on your TG test ride experience. I also looked at them when it came time to purchase the 2010 RT-S. I did not make it to the test ride though--the ergos just did not fit me--so that was a quick and easy decision. Price was another factor here. The dealer wanted $7,000 over MSRP.

Speaking of TG's: Sunday we went riding up to one of our favorite places--Hatcher Pass. Halfway up the ride, we pulled off at a rest stop. We encountered two very nice ladies and their Tri Glides. They were 50+ and dressed in full HD regalia. One had an anniversery edition and the other a standard. They came over to where we were parked and we started talking motorcycles. They asked us a few questions about the 's--but there was no way we were going to sell them on it. Turned out they had never ventured beyond this point to the top of the pass. We encouraged them to follow us up. They obliged, and we had a neat convoy of three wheelers for awhile. Two with two wheels in the front, and two, with two wheels in the back. When we reached the top and were sitting in the parking area--we all got a lot of lookers and questions from those who were there.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Having owned a Spyder for 3 three years, And now a Tri-Glide for Two years, You don't buy a Spyder to be a Tri-Glide, Or a Tri-Glide to be a Spyder, Two different machines for two different missions....One's not better than the other, Just different.. Each one has it's own quirks... Its just that the Spyder has it's two wheels on the wrong end...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Having owned a Spyder for 3 three years, And now a Tri-Glide for Two years, You don't buy a Spyder to be a Tri-Glide, Or a Tri-Glide to be a Spyder, Two different machines for two different missions....One's not better than the other, Just different.. Each one has it's own quirks... Its just that the Spyder has it's two wheels on the wrong end...
    Ill race you in reverse.
    Isn't there a TriGlydeLovers.Com site?
    Last edited by SpyderDen; 07-26-2013 at 12:51 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    You don't buy a Spyder to be a Tri-Glide, Or a Tri-Glide to be a Spyder, Two different machines for two different missions....One's not better than the other, Just different.
    Me thinks he be wise man who know his stuff.
    2011 RTS SM5

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderDen View Post
    Ill race you in reverse.
    Isn't there a TriGlydeLovers.Com site?
    Yep; It's called Trike Talk.com, And they even welcome those funny Trikes with the wheels at the wrong end in....

Spyder Garage

I stopped at a HD Dealer a couple days ago, while on my Spyder. The Salesman was very nice and asked if he could do anything. I could see the Spyder out the window. I said, I was not really looking to buy one, just wanted some information. He answered all my questions. His price seemed way lower then a lot of what I have heard. But then a person here said, a Dealer wanted 7K over MSRP. He seemed fairly assertive about a real "Tri-Glide" being different from a conversion. I know there is a huge differnce in opinion between different trikes from Wing riders.
    It was a very beautiful metalic blue one, we were looking at. HD has always had beautiful paint.
    As I was leaving he invited me back to a upcoming event, then saying, Not what you ride, but do you ride.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner