Thread: Kuryakyn grips

Spyder Garage

Default Kuryakyn grips

Does anyone know if kuryakyn grips will fit an RT?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I saw some mounted on an RT, with the lever as well.

Looked pretty good, and I thought about it as well. They are chrome though which I am not really into.

I would expect the heated grips wont work well after that though.

Spyder Garage

Default grips...

Quote Originally Posted by oldblindjohn View Post
    I have kuryakyn grips on my 2011 RT...they work great. You have to trim around the end of the stock grips which is no big deal.....smoky

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by smoky View Post
    I have kuryakyn grips on my 2011 RT...they work great. You have to trim around the end of the stock grips which is no big deal.....smoky
    Does the 2011 RT have fly by wire?

Spyder Garage

I have the chrome ones on my 2013 RT Limited. The heat works good enough on low for me when I tested it back in April/May when it was cold here in Cincinnati. Now the real test will be this winter. You use the GW clamshell ones and they are made to go over the GW grips and to transfer the heat.
    The original grips were too small for me, after this MOD my hands no longer cramp from gripping to tight.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kyace2003 View Post
    I have the chrome ones on my 2013 RT Limited. The heat works good enough on low for me when I tested it back in April/May when it was cold here in Cincinnati. Now the real test will be this winter. You use the GW clamshell ones and they are made to go over the GW grips and to transfer the heat.
    The original grips were too small for me, after this MOD my hands no longer cramp from gripping to tight.
    That's what Capt. Margaret is complaining about.
    I guess I'll order a pair.

Thanks all!

Spyder Garage

There is a video or pictures of this MOD on here somewhere, sorry I am just new enough to not know where everything hides. If you have an SM5 it should be pretty easy install, on the SE5 you have to grind the shifter back/down until it doesn't hit. I am not sure I have mine right just yet, however it will go into Reverse and downshift so I figured its good enough for now. I keep watching ebay for a used SE5 control, that thing is too $ to buy just to hack it up to see if I can get one built out of something other than plastic.

I believe the GW part # is 6183 description is: ISO-GRIPS FOR USE W/ GL1800 HEATED GRIPS. It appears there could be a black pair as well however given I have the Limited which has chrome all over already, additional chrome wasn't an issue although I liked the look of the black better.

At the end of the day it looks good and I can ride without any issues so its a success in my book.

One trick that I did where the video/pictures had was to use a wood working clamp that had rubber feet if you will instead of the vice grips or channel locks, this allowed me to gently squeeze it.

Here is the link I was referring to earlier, I found it:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...grips+Kuryakyn

Spyder Garage

I think Lamonster has a youtube video as I recall.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default LUV'M

LUV'm....
    can't remember, but i think you need the 7/8" to fit properly....
    016.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kyace2003 View Post
    There is a video or pictures of this MOD on here somewhere, sorry I am just new enough to not know where everything hides. If you have an SM5 it should be pretty easy install, on the SE5 you have to grind the shifter back/down until it doesn't hit. I am not sure I have mine right just yet, however it will go into Reverse and downshift so I figured its good enough for now. I keep watching ebay for a used SE5 control, that thing is too $ to buy just to hack it up to see if I can get one built out of something other than plastic.

I believe the GW part # is 6183 description is: ISO-GRIPS FOR USE W/ GL1800 HEATED GRIPS. It appears there could be a black pair as well however given I have the Limited which has chrome all over already, additional chrome wasn't an issue although I liked the look of the black better.

At the end of the day it looks good and I can ride without any issues so its a success in my book.

One trick that I did where the video/pictures had was to use a wood working clamp that had rubber feet if you will instead of the vice grips or channel locks, this allowed me to gently squeeze it.

Here is the link I was referring to earlier, I found it:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...grips+Kuryakyn

I have them & they are the clam-shell type designed to clamp over the Goldwing heated grips.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Default They work with modifications

Quote Originally Posted by oldblindjohn View Post
    There were a couple of really good posts with pictures and instructions on installing the Kuryakyn Clam Shell ISO Grips.
    These grips are designed to go over the stock Gold Wing Heated Grips.
    Since we are used to using those type grips on all of our bikes I decided to install these on our RT-SE5.
    You still feel the heat, High is like on the Low original setting. You still feel heat through, just not as much.
    The comfort level is far better and I like the look far better (personal preference). I took some pictures during the installation and put them on the product page along with instructions specific for the Spyder RT.
    Do not install these if you do not plan on doing some modifications, especially if you have a SE5.
    http://store.valueaccessories.net/IS...eatedGrip.aspx

Hope this helps.
    Rick

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rick_w View Post
    There were a couple of really good posts with pictures and instructions on installing the Kuryakyn Clam Shell ISO Grips.
    These grips are designed to go over the stock Gold Wing Heated Grips.
    Since we are used to using those type grips on all of our bikes I decided to install these on our RT-SE5.
    You still feel the heat, High is like on the Low original setting. You still feel heat through, just not as much.
    The comfort level is far better and I like the look far better (personal preference). I took some pictures during the installation and put them on the product page along with instructions specific for the Spyder RT.
    Do not install these if you do not plan on doing some modifications, especially if you have a SE5.
    http://store.valueaccessories.net/IS...eatedGrip.aspx

Hope this helps.
    Rick

"yep, thats what I saw"

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

What's the center to center spacing of the small screw holes on the end caps? I'd like to know if my Kewl Metal helmet locks can still be used.
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post

What's the center to center spacing of the small screw holes on the end caps? I'd like to know if my Kewl Metal helmet locks can still be used.

What, none of you guys that did this mod own a tape measure or ruler?

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods

Spyder Garage

Default They will work

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    What, none of you guys that did this mod own a tape measure or ruler?
    The Kewl Metal Locks are designed for Kuryakyn ISO Grips and will work with these clamshell grips. The bolt spacing is the same for all.

The end is a little wider so the standard throttle bosses will not work, but we installed the Contoured Throttle Bosses and they work fine.

Rick

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Grinding the shift paddle scares me...How much has to come off?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rick_w View Post
    The Kewl Metal Locks are designed for Kuryakyn ISO Grips and will work with these clamshell grips. The bolt spacing is the same for all.

The end is a little wider so the standard throttle bosses will not work, but we installed the Contoured Throttle Bosses and they work fine.

Rick

"Contoured Throttle Bosses" ???? I guess you mean both the original BRP parts and the replacement that come with the Kewl Metal locks for the Can Am won't work. Where did the contouredones come from?

My Mods -

Spyder Garage

Default A fair amount

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelover63 View Post
    Grinding the shift paddle scares me...How much has to come off?
    A fair amount has to come off the paddle, a little at a time with your Dremel. Done correctly, nobody will know. I was a little concerned, but I saw a few other people on here had done it so I was positive it was possible with a little work. You just have to keep taking a little off at a time and testing it.
    The diameter is larger on these grips then standard ISO grips, that is why the standard throttle bosses will not work.

Your paddle will look like this when you get done.

Rick