Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default tire pressure on non OEM front tires

Just ordered a set of Bridgestone Potenza for the RT. What PSI is everyone running who have non OEM tires? I would like to get a good starting point. Thx

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TIRE PRESSURE

Quote Originally Posted by ICE View Post
    Just ordered a set of Bridgestone Potenza for the RT. What PSI is everyone running who have non OEM tires? I would like to get a good starting point. Thx
    Well it depends on how many plies your new tires have....Generally speaking the more sidewall plies the stiffer the tire.....Also car tires usually have more tread plies which also helps them run flatter.....The OEM's ( fronts)with ONE ply side walls states 15 to 17 lbs.....I think a car tire would be fine at that pressure also...Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-25-2013 at 08:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default To many variables..!!

you can start at the oem pressure and then find yours. The tires have some ref's but you don't have the weight. Tire tread should be flat across, if arched up it is over inflated and center of the tire will wear faster, if sunken to low and the sides will wear faster. But some fine folks will come along and give you the pressure they are using..I still have oem tires..good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm running my General Altimax 185/60R14 front tires at 20PSI. Before the General's I was running the OEM front tires at 18PSI.
    2016 F3-L Special Series? Mods: Lamonster IPS end caps w/ Gripper 3rd pegs, GPS mount, Power Plate, Perf. Muffler; Backoff Brake Light Strobe; CD Front (amber/red) Brightsides & Tip Kit; ISCI Flag Holder w/Long Poles; BRP Signature Light, Aux Lights, Saddlebag Liners, Garmin 590 GPS; TricLED foam Grips, LEDs (Aux/headlights); Pitbull Driving Lights; RDL seat; Ultimate backrest

Previous ryde: 2012 RT-L, 26,636 miles on it when traded; 2014 RT-L, 34,147 miles on it when traded

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You might want ot PM Firefly; he's been running Potenzas for a while now, and should have some good info for you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I've been running these tires for about 2000 miles now. Set them to 20 PSI based on recomendations found here. So far I've felt no need to change. Love the tires so far.
    2011 RTS SE5

Spyder Garage

Default CAULK

1st thing you need to do once your tires have been mounted, is check to see what the pressure is at... doesn't really matter @ this time... then take a piece of regular black-board caulk and run a line across each tire... now roll your SPYD3R forward, and keep rolling until the caulk marks are again visible... look where the caulk has been removed... if you have plenty of caulk on the edges, you have too much pressure... if the the caulk remains on the middle, your psi is too low...

note, that the best way to do this, is to load your SPYD3R the way you will ride it... if the majority of your riding is with 2 on-board, with lots of luggage, that's the way you want to do the caulk test....
    016.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    you can start at the oem pressure and then find yours. The tires have some ref's but you don't have the weight. Tire tread should be flat across, if arched up it is over inflated and center of the tire will wear faster, if sunken to low and the sides will wear faster. But some fine folks will come along and give you the pressure they are using..I still have oem tires..good luck..!!
    Excellent advice!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

I have mine set at 20 psi. Really nice tires so far.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Seems that 20 to 21 psi with auto tires is about right I've been running that for 13,000 mi now and my tires look like new I'm sure they will go 40,000 or more
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    1st thing you need to do once your tires have been mounted, is check to see what the pressure is at... doesn't really matter @ this time... then take a piece of regular black-board caulk and run a line across each tire... now roll your SPYD3R forward, and keep rolling until the caulk marks are again visible... look where the caulk has been removed... if you have plenty of caulk on the edges, you have too much pressure... if the the caulk remains on the middle, your psi is too low...

note, that the best way to do this, is to load your SPYD3R the way you will ride it... if the majority of your riding is with 2 on-board, with lots of luggage, that's the way you want to do the caulk test....
    016.jpg
    I suggest you use chalk, not caulk. Caulk, which is a sticky substance used to seal openings in buildings, would make a huge mess! Chalk, which is used to draw on blackboards (and sidewalks) is a powder. That is what you want.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I suggest you use chalk, not caulk. Caulk, which is a sticky substance used to seal openings in buildings, would make a huge mess! Chalk, which is used to draw on blackboards (and sidewalks) is a powder. That is what you want.
    u'r right Nan.... i must have been asleep when i wrote that... duh
    SAM_0319.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    u'r right Nan.... i must have been asleep when i wrote that... duh
    SAM_0319.jpg
    Sure would have made a mess!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!