Spyder Garage

Default communication system

We are wanting a bluetooth communication system for our helmets. We were thinking about the new system that BRP is selling. Has anyone tried it, does it really work? Is there a system out there that works with any helmet or do we need to buy new helmets with a system in them? We have a Hawk helmet with a bluetooth system and it doesn't work very well and it doesn't stay charged for more than 3-4 hours.

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SENA is the way to go

The SENA SMH10 units are the way to go, they are by far the easiest to use even with
    heavy gloves on, talk to your passenger or others you are riding with, listen to your iPod,
    iPhone and with the transmitter and dongle from BRP you can listen to the sound system
    on the Spyder.
    Ask just about anyone who is using them they are by far the best, AND I have them on SALE
    right now. Give me a call or email me at motorcycledave@mac.com
    Ride Safe
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by bamaryder View Post
    We are wanting a bluetooth communication system for our helmets. We were thinking about the new system that BRP is selling. Has anyone tried it, does it really work? Is there a system out there that works with any helmet or do we need to buy new helmets with a system in them? We have a Hawk helmet with a bluetooth system and it doesn't work very well and it doesn't stay charged for more than 3-4 hours.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We use the Scala Rider G9 and they work great. No new helmets needed.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

Sena's, Scala's, chatterbox's, and others are available. We have the Scala G9 and can add up to eight other users in a group, intercom, FM radio, phone and GPS as well as mp3. But can't speak of the others have never tried them...good luck..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I got the Sena units from Dave. They work very well and you should be able to remove the stuff from your old helmet. Use them for bike to bike comm and music streaming from phone. The charge really lasts. Used them all day Sunday and went for a 2 hour ride on Monday, still working.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 07-22-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

You will get lots of opinions on this one. The two that seem to come up the most are Cardo and Sena. I have used both and currently have the Sena. I like the quieter reception (background noise) on the Sena. I believe the BRP versions cost a lot more.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

We use G9's and Linda I find they work okay, once you wiggle through the quirky instruction manual . And it's not a weird translation problem either, just quirky.

Any how with the G9's you can add additional audio kits to you extra helmets and then just move the radio between helmets. Nice units with decent line of sight range. Audio is pretty good and as a ham operator I'm somewhat particular about audio quality.

Glad we got them.

Ride safe,
    Curt Givens KC8STE
    Dayton, OH - Home of Hamvention
    MOLON LABE
    2012 Viper Red RT-S
    Center tail/brake light
    Mud flap run/ts
    Fender bright sides
    LED Tip lights
    Rivco Flag holder on trunk
    BRP Hitch
    Piggybacker XL Trailer

Spyder Garage

Sena SMH5-FM units here along with my DIY cable so you can hear the BRP radio through both headsets.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Registered Users Orange monster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We have the Vega Summit 3.0 Vcom helmets and they work great. I was able to carry on a conversation with my brother about 30 yards away on the hwy at 65mph for 10 minutes with no problem. The helmets stay charged longer than I have ridden so far with me listening to music for 5 hours and talking to the other riders off and on. One down side is you can only link 3 helmets together.
    2013 RSS
    Grip Puppies, Calsci Tinted Shorty windshield, Garage remote mod

Spyder Garage

Default Look on ebay, got a set of Seena SMH10

Have a look on Ebay, Just got a set of Sena SMH10 Shipped to my door for $228. love them. Sorry, should say to my door in florida, don't think get in canada that deal.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcycledave View Post
    The SENA SMH10 units are the way to go, they are by far the easiest to use even with
    heavy gloves on, talk to your passenger or others you are riding with, listen to your iPod,
    iPhone and with the transmitter and dongle from BRP you can listen to the sound system
    on the Spyder.
    Ask just about anyone who is using them they are by far the best, AND I have them on SALE
    right now. Give me a call or email me at motorcycledave@mac.com
    Ride Safe
    Dave
    The BRP system is the Sena SMH-10 system, but with the premium BRP price. Also, the Bluetooth media streamer that BRP sells is the Sena SM-10. Save the extra coin, and buy from Dave, if you decide to go with the BRP setup.

The ONLY thing that the BRP offers today, that you can't get with the Sena purchase, is the cables to hook the media streamer directly into the radio. People on here can walk you through making one, OR... Dave should also be able to offer these cables shortly!! But that's super secret!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post

Dave should also be able to offer these cables shortly!! But that's super secret!!!
    Not that secret!
    But I think BRP wont be happy about it!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default radio plug...

If you're going to work on these itsy, bitsy pins for the radio plug, then this is the tool you need to properly crimp the connectors. This tool will work with wire sizes 12 through 26, and most plug types.Pinsocket.jpgP-706.jpg
    Last edited by sinkhole; 07-23-2013 at 06:17 PM.
    Dave
    Never leave well enough alone! (Raymond Loewy)

Spyder Garage

Just finished ordering mine from MotorcycleDave great guy to talk to and very informative about the SENA products he was able to answer the few questions I had.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I are looking into the G9s. Will probably wait until next summer to get them though. Hopefully the price will drop some by then. The only thing I've heard about the G9 that concerns me is the audio quality when using a helf helmet is not all that great.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I was looking into getting Senas before a big ride with a bunch of friends, they were already using older G4 and the newer G9 so I went that way too. I absolutely hate the G9 Power set I got and wished I had gone with my research and gut feeling and bought the Sena unit. I could not connect to the other riders ever but they could connect to me, we tried everything to no joy. The voice commands are a complete JOKE, you say "call intercom" and it goes "music on" or "phone disconnected over and over and over until you want to skip the unit down the road. Very dissatisfied here!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rotaxer View Post
    I was looking into getting Senas before a big ride with a bunch of friends, they were already using older G4 and the newer G9 so I went that way too. I absolutely hate the G9 Power set I got and wished I had gone with my research and gut feeling and bought the Sena unit. I could not connect to the other riders ever but they could connect to me, we tried everything to no joy. The voice commands are a complete JOKE, you say "call intercom" and it goes "music on" or "phone disconnected over and over and over until you want to skip the unit down the road. Very dissatisfied here!!!!
    Thanks for your review of your experience. We are still researching and haven't made a final decision yet.

Did you take you unit back? You may have just got a bad one.

Pam and I are basically just looking for a decent bike to bike unit. Although I would like the FM radio receiver. She has a radio on the RTL but I ride a tip over and I don't really want to have to go get an MP3 player and spend $ to buy songs for it.

Spyder Garage

I love my Sena! I highly recommend them to anyone!!
    17 F3 Limited (Pearl White), Sena 10C intercom, X Grip iPhone mount, IPS key, spyder to go cup holder, Lamonster Highway Center Lane, TricLED engine lights, TricLED night rider, LS2 Helmets, Lamonster Bypass pipe, 2 Brothers Exhaust, mirror relocator kit, Bluetooth radio module, OEM Backrest, Rear LED Light Kit

2017 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder601 View Post
    I love my Sena! I highly recommend them to anyone!!
    How well do they work on a half helmet? I imagine I will need to buy a kit for that.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool Audio From Mi

I have had other system includeing Blue Tooth but the SENA 10 seems to be one of the clearest ( is that a word) Dave is real helpful along with others on this site. Dave is one of the advertiseing people you see in the middle. Questions you came to the right place to get opinions to help you learn ; work on and laugh about a lot Good rideing
    SFC. RICK & LORI

Retired US Army , Member Michigan PRG
    RIDE HARD/RIDE SAFE

2013 RT Limited Black Currant New 4/8/2013
    2010 RT Audio Package Black/ Sold 2012
    2008 GS Silver Moon /Sold 2010

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rich_t View Post
    Thanks for your review of your experience. We are still researching and haven't made a final decision yet.

Did you take you unit back? You may have just got a bad one.

Pam and I are basically just looking for a decent bike to bike unit. Although I would like the FM radio receiver. She has a radio on the RTL but I ride a tip over and I don't really want to have to go get an MP3 player and spend $ to buy songs for it.

Bought it online so not as easy to take back. In all fairness the system was very easy to install in the helmets. They do have FM Radio and the unit easily attaches and detaches from helmet mount for charging. The Cardo community has a great interface for programming and software etc. I am hoping that a software release will come out to make them do what they were suppose to do.