Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brogers57 View Post
    http://www.filedropper.com/img1878 - Me talking about the mod and showing by video what I done.

http://www.filedropper.com/img1879 - Me talking about my recent ride plus paper streamers while fan is blow

Keep in mind that the bike is sitting still and imagine the air flow that is happening while the bike is moving, I do feel more heat is being pushed out and also out the left side as well.
    I'm sure your videos are interesting & I'd love to see them, but it appears you have put them in a site that requires me to sign up or log in. Any chance you can post them somewhere where people can easily view them?

Spyder Garage

You should have to sign up. You will have to wait maybe 15 seconds or so before you can download them.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MrLooney View Post
    I see and understand where you have drilled the 6 holes under your . My question is = How do you know if the hot air is flowing out and under your Roadster or is the cool air flowing into your Roadster?

I do not have my Roadster at hand to see and understand this very well now.

Where is the positive air entering the Roadster to cause the hot air to escape out of these holes?

These questions come from my experience in heat / cold and return air ducting in houses. One often thinks that a hole in the pressurized duct blowing air into your house will blow air out of that hole... when in fact it can be sucking in the air from outside the duct. The pressurized air flowing over that hole creates a suction through that hole.

I am not 100% sure that I haven't created a pressured system through the holes. My idea was just to drill the 6 holes instead of removing it completely. Further testing is still out as the weather is not hot here. If there is somebody that just wants to remove the redirect or and see how it does, I would hope they would report back! Also, would you happen to know a way to validate a suction or not? I'm open ears

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

my bottom piece is off.....pipes wrapped, gas tank covered with ceramic reflective material, extended heat shield, wetter water in radiator, PitBull did a flash on ECM, bike running cooler...no heat problems after 1900 or so miles

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So if you remove the bottem panel or drill holes, are you running a risk of water splashing up into the electronics?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kepople View Post
    So if you remove the bottem panel or drill holes, are you running a risk of water splashing up into the electronics?
    no

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

you sure ?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kepople View Post
    you sure ?

The only concern I had was rocks or sticks being thrown up but just by riding a little less than 2k miles there were zero marks of damage. I felt better just drilling holes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Rode 5000 miles , this past month out wast, Wyoming ,Montana , Dakota's and Minnesota . Only hot spot was seat , foot and leg area warm , but not unbearable . Added a cushion on seat , gel filled , helped . Was unseasonably hot this year .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

very interesting. You surpassed my 6 lol

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool I am totally confused

The photos that everyone posted has gotten me totally confused and disoriented. The one set of six holes I ake it to be the black panel on the underside front of the front suspension am I right?

The one with the aluminum perforated screen is covering a hole cut in the black panel front or back m of the radiators.

The one with the piece of metal with 6 verical holes in it to the left. Where is that one at?

The one with the fan showing is one on the left looking forward or is it backwards?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe we can use a big electric fan in front of the and use streamers to find out where the air comes in and out. This will be a low tech wind tunnel but will work for the project. Good luck and please post the result.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Larry rt View Post
    Rode 5000 miles , this past month out wast, Wyoming ,Montana , Dakota's and Minnesota . Only hot spot was seat , foot and leg area warm , but not unbearable . Added a cushion on seat , gel filled , helped . Was unseasonably hot this year .
    my issues are when you slow down and then it gets hot. but the heat seems to be eminating from the panel under my butt and leg rather than from the radiator. i think mine is the headers.

stil the question is: thermostat running too hot?
    since some dont have problems its suspect.

kirby

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    my bottom piece is off.....pipes wrapped, gas tank covered with ceramic reflective material, extended heat shield, wetter water in radiator, PitBull did a flash on ECM, bike running cooler...no heat problems after 1900 or so miles
    That's good news. Maybe I'll ride down to see Len to solve my heat issues.

I wish BRP would say something... to anyone. My dealer hasn't been given nearly as much info as we have here.

Spyder Garage

Default Mods For Heat Correction!

http://www.filedropper.com/img1878 - Me talking about the mod and showing by video what I done.

http://www.filedropper.com/img1879 - Me talking about my recent ride plus paper streamers while fan is blow

Keep in mind that the bike is sitting still and imagine the air flow that is happening while the bike is moving, I do feel more heat is being pushed out and also out the left side as well.
    Any other file format, in order to watch video, I do not have access to file.

Thanks

Dom

Spyder Garage

Default What other mods? It's a system after all.

I'm wondering about all the heat issues. I'm in one of the most humid parts of Georgia; when it's 90 degrees in the summer, it's 90 percent humidity here. We can't even spell evaporative cooling down here. FYI, I always wear mesh MC pants. My left side of the 2013 ST (almost 4000 miles now) gets warm, but not extremely so. To keep these heat mods forum posts useful to other readers, it would be helpful to know what other mods you have installed. Three specific types come to mind: 1) any plastic faring or front-opening mods on the front/bottom of the machine? 2). any fuel system/air filter mods of any kind? (has your bike ECU been touched at some time?) 3). any exhaust system mods of any kind? Seems to me that any or all of these type farkle mods could affect the originally-designed airflow system, resulting in more/less heat under the cowling. It's really hard to know what is happening on a particular bike when multiple things are modified. Thanks for the info. Great forum.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am sure heat is relative to the rider. My spyder RTS gets hot in traffic, hot enough for me to be concerned and my foot to be very uncomfortable.
    Todays ride was fairly cool because it was cool and humid out. But when it heated up the temp needle started moving and I felt heat in the cockpit.

So, I wonder if there is some possibility of flaky thermostats in various bikes?

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

It seems that people are looking at the heat as one problem and even one source. In truth, it is several. An owner can experience any one...or all of them together.

Engine overheating, as seen on the gauge or by frequent fan operation, is a function and result of the cooling system. In reality the engine temperature is fairly constant, despite the gauge readings. Actual overheating will cause limp mode, but seldom happens if the fan is working and the coolant level is correct. Don't worry about how many bars are showing on the gauge unless it is not what you normally see, you have a limp mode, or your gauge is near the red.

Heat on the right foot comes from the radiator. In hot climates, the already hot air is heated as it cools the engine, and it becomes even hotter...sometimes blistering hot. The hot air stream exits on the right side and can be carried onto the rider's foot or leg. The ambient temperature, the model you ride, any mods affecting the air flow, whether the fan is running, the speed traveled, the direction of the wind, how you position your legs and feet, and whether or not you have highway pegs or footboards (that move your foot/leg closer to the heat source) all affect how much heat you will feel on the right side.

Heat on the left foot, other than with the 2008-2012 GS/RS, generally comes from the catalytic converter, which is mounted low on that side. The passenger may feel the worst of this. Other than at low speed operation, the CAT should not affect temperatures higher up, and certainly not farther forward. Heat on the left thigh of an RS/GS can be due to deteriorating Y-gaskets.

Heat around the seat and thighs is mostly a result of radiated engine and exhaust heat, which is trapped in the body and can't escape readily. The heat travels naturally upward, and will escape through any vent or opening it finds. What doesn't escape radiates heat to its surroundings...the body panels, gas tank, and seat. Each model shows differing heat characteristics in this area, partly due to differences in bodywork, venting, subpanels, insulation, and even way the rider is seated. Different windshields, windshield position, deflectors, and even carrying a passenger affect the air flow in this area and can change how much heat is felt. How the rider holds his/her legs and the rider's size and seating position also affect the amount felt.

A rider's apparel is a big factor in why some riders complain about the heat and some don't. Flip-flops are gonna fry your feet way more than boots. Mesh or insulated overpants will offer more protection than jeans...and especially more than shorts, etc. Tight clothing will pass more heat than looser apparel. It is hard to compare notes when we all wear different things to ride in. We all ride in different climates, too.

Hopefully this little synopsis will let those with problems concentrate on the area(s) most likely to be affecting them. A broad brush attack will just cost you money and waste your time. Look at where your problems are, look at what you wear, what you ride, and any mods you have made, and try to work out solutions for the things that are most likely to be affecingt you...cat converter shields if your left foot is hot, different apparel, insulation under the panels of an RS or ST, and so on. If you find a good solution, report it here, along with the specifics of where your problem was and what you ride. If you try something and it doesn't work, report that, too, so others don't have to reinvent the wheel. Too many folks talking about heat in general, and too few about specifics here to be of much use. Concentrate on each area separately and report the results in enough detail to decipher.

JMHO

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Arrow ?????e

I would love to have seen the video but all I get is a page saying File Dropper
    and nothing to click on to open a file or video.... bummer
    What am I doing wrong ?

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have not experienced big heat related issues but I may be the exception, dunno. I generally wear levis and low top shoes when riding because my boots are uncomfortable to walk in. I'm thinking of getting a high top sneaker like riding boot.

The Spyder is my first bike. I owned a RS and now a RT. Heat hasn't been a big issue for me and I live in the desert. The only mod I've ever done was the air dam around the radiator on my RS. It would bring the temp down a bar or two while traveling but it would go back up at the traffic light. So that prompts a question to those who are experiencing heat issues. Is it happening while you are traveling the open highway or in the city?

What other bikes have heat disorders? Is this a Rotax thing?
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Spyder Garage

Default Mods For Heat Correction!

Good evening All,

Well I have made some mods to my Spyder in order to take care of the heat issues.

These mods have improved the temp issues, or have they, since the modifications, the weather has changed with the temperature dropping considerably.

There is one question I would appreciate an answer to :

Can the thermostat be changed to a lower temperature range, in order to get the fan to start earlier thus reducing the operating temperature.

​Dom

Spyder Garage

If anybody is wanting the videos please let me know I uploaded them on Skydrive, just leave me your e mail.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by poordom View Post
    Good evening All,

Well I have made some mods to my Spyder in order to take care of the heat issues.

These mods have improved the temp issues, or have they, since the modifications, the weather has changed with the temperature dropping considerably.

There is one question I would appreciate an answer to :

Can the thermostat be changed to a lower temperature range, in order to get the fan to start earlier thus reducing the operating temperature.

​Dom
    The thermostat does not control the fan operation. The coolant temperature sensor, in combination with the programming in the Spyder does the job. An additional switch would be needed to do what you wish, but it would have little effect on the temperatures, IMO. It might slow the rise down a bit, but in the end the water temperature is pretty constant except in stop-n-go traffic or extreme ambient temperatures.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default heat

has anyone installed fan-can to rid the heat ? does it help relieve the high temp ?