Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Mods For Heat Correction!

Let's list em all here! Since this is a popular topic!

Spyder Garage
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Registered Users Orange monster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The only real heat I feel on my 2013 RSS is on my left leg, the right seems to stay at a comfortable temp. The left is not so hot that it burns or anything like that but if it were a little cooler it would be more comfortable on 100 degree days. I bought some exhaust wrap and water wetter and will wrap the left exhaust in the next couple of weeks.
    2013 RSS
    Grip Puppies, Calsci Tinted Shorty windshield, Garage remote mod

Spyder Garage

Default Possible fix

Here is what I am testing out now. Rode a little today and was surprised on how much heat I don't feel. Fan kicked on and could barley even feel any heat at all. This opens up for the heat to escape in a large area instead of just out the side. I even sat in the garage while the bike was running and the fan on and still didn't feel much heat blowing on me. Instead of completely taking off the splash pan underneath I drilled 6 holes (1 1/8in).

Let me know what you think

image.jpegimage[1].jpegimage[2].jpegimage[3].jpeg

Spyder Garage

Default Heat Mods

​I can't tell by the pictures where you drilled the holes. Can you be more specific?
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Spyder Garage

_Preview_-85 (1).JPEG

Here are the guards. If you look under your spyder on both sides you will see these. Coz, helped me by stating that I should remove them but, I didn't like what it exposed so today I decided to drill holes. I will take some more pictures or you can PM me with your e mail and I will send some or maybe a video.
    Last edited by Brogers57; 07-22-2013 at 09:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

did you remove something near the radiator? it looks different. can't put my finger on it.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    did you remove something near the radiator? it looks different. can't put my finger on it.
    I did. The plastic piece that is supposed to redirect it out the side, I took it out and I am surprised at this point. Haven't tested in really hot weather yet so the question is still out on how it works. It was in the mid-high 80's today low humidity.

Spyder Garage

Default interesting

i don't recall anyone ever doing that before. let us know what happens when it's in the ninety's again. it would be great in colder weather.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    i don't recall anyone ever doing that before. let us know what happens when it's in the ninety's again. it would be great in colder weather.

Sure thing. Well, i went into limp mode the other day when it was hot before this mod and was doing 60 MPH. Changed the fuse in the fan slot and it never done it again. Who knows. Guess we will see.. Will keep everybody updated.

Spyder Garage

Default Mods For Heat Correction!

Quote Originally Posted by Brogers57 View Post
    Sure thing. Well, i went into limp mode the other day when it was hot before this mod and was doing 60 MPH. Changed the fuse in the fan slot and it never done it again. Who knows. Guess we will see.. Will keep everybody updated.
    Its would be a good idea to send more pics., a video would be greatly appreciated, I am sure.

I guess increasing the flow path, does help, keep us posted.

You may be on to something.

Dom

Spyder Garage

Wink

If you'd like to be a part of an experiment shoot me a PM.
    Last edited by Brogers57; 07-21-2013 at 07:54 PM.

Spyder Garage

I wrapped the left exhaust header pipe and its helping a lot , the left side was very hot to the touch and came up through the crack between the plastic and oil cooler cover now it gets on the hotter side of warm but can touch the plastic with no problems , I wrapped it about 4 time and it does help. Started at the first bend and went back to the last bend by the belt.

031_zpsd8bd9823.jpg032_zpsb1df8675.jpg033_zps0af781b0.jpg034_zpsd5684e9b.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billrob71 View Post
    I wrapped the left exhaust header pipe and its helping a lot , the left side was very hot to the touch and came up through the crack between the plastic and oil cooler cover now it gets on the hotter side of warm but can touch the plastic with no problems , I wrapped it about 4 time and it does help. Started at the first bend and went back to the last bend by the belt.

031_zpsd8bd9823.jpg032_zpsb1df8675.jpg033_zps0af781b0.jpg034_zpsd5684e9b.jpg
    Well I am lucky as my plastic is not that hot. Warm to touch but not burning. I am hoping that the removal and hole drilling I done could resolve problems. I may go to the other side and drill 6 more holes after some more testing.

Spyder Garage

Default Video coming soon

Just a quick update, today I will be shooting a video of what I removed to show you some of the differences. I still need somebody to test something for me if possible! Require no mods just wanted to see about air flow compared to mine. PM me!

Spyder Garage

this is a mod I made for my RTS using the lower block off plate from Spyderpops and then a curved exhaust pipe and fitting fro Autozone:

IMG_1638.jpgIMG_1657.jpgIMG_1686.jpgIMG_1691.jpg
    1. it is what it is - 2014 Black RT-S - Baja Ron Anti-Sway bar, lots of LEDs, Spyderpops Skid Plate, Twisted Sister HID Driving Lights, Tricled 2nd, 3rd & 4th brake lights, F4 Customs vented windshield, Lamonster highway pegs, Ultimate Tall Boy seat, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lookerjdc View Post
    this is a mod I made for my RTS using the lower block off plate from Spyderpops and then a curved exhaust pipe and fitting fro Autozone:

Awesome.. Thanks for the share! I am uploading my video now and then will post soon to show a little more in detail to what I have accomplished. I am about to go out for a small ride, then to further my investigation!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lookerjdc View Post

That looks great . . . How does it work on a hot day?

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

http://www.filedropper.com/img1878 - Me talking about the mod and showing by video what I done.

http://www.filedropper.com/img1879 - Me talking about my recent ride plus paper streamers while fan is blow

Keep in mind that the bike is sitting still and imagine the air flow that is happening while the bike is moving, I do feel more heat is being pushed out and also out the left side as well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    That looks great . . . How does it work on a hot day?
    works fine

I also used thermal wrap on the inside of the top block off plate and that has pretty much removed all hot air escaping (I also cut a large hole in the lower pan and covered it with grate to prevent anything getting kicked up under the bike

IMG_1681.jpg

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat

I hear a lot about heat on the right side. I have 2012 RT LTD and the right side is fine the left side gets a little warm. I also don't hear anyone say they are wearing boots over the ankle. I would like to hear about that. I have not been wearing boots and I think if I did I would not feel any heat. Might be uncomfortable in Texas it was 100 yesterday.

Spyder Garage

We have a 2011 RT and DO wear over the ankle motorcycle boots... the heat on the right side when sitting is downright hot... I may experiment tomorrow (have a week off, yay) and will post my method if it works out...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    We have a 2011 RT and DO wear over the ankle motorcycle boots... the heat on the right side when sitting is downright hot... I may experiment tomorrow (have a week off, yay) and will post my method if it works out...
    Best of luck, I am going to drill 6 holes on my left splash pan to see how it works out, more heat being pushed out is better .

Spyder Garage

Good riding boots and jeans. I have ridden in 115 degree weather and neither my feet nor my legs got uncomfortably hot.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

Default 6 Holes

Quote Originally Posted by Brogers57 View Post
    Here is what I am testing out now. Rode a little today and was surprised on how much heat I don't feel. Fan kicked on and could barley even feel any heat at all. This opens up for the heat to escape in a large area instead of just out the side. I even sat in the garage while the bike was running and the fan on and still didn't feel much heat blowing on me. Instead of completely taking off the splash pan underneath I drilled 6 holes (1 1/8in).

Let me know what you think

image.jpegimage[1].jpegimage[2].jpegimage[3].jpeg
    I see and understand where you have drilled the 6 holes under your . My question is = How do you know if the hot air is flowing out and under your Roadster or is the cool air flowing into your Roadster?

I do not have my Roadster at hand to see and understand this very well now.

Where is the positive air entering the Roadster to cause the hot air to escape out of these holes?

These questions come from my experience in heat / cold and return air ducting in houses. One often thinks that a hole in the pressurized duct blowing air into your house will blow air out of that hole... when in fact it can be sucking in the air from outside the duct. The pressurized air flowing over that hole creates a suction through that hole.
    If it Feels Good, Do It !!

Too Much Is Just Enough !
    2011 RS~S Pure Magnesium / Black ~M~