Spyder Garage

Default helmet shake/vibration at highway speed.

Hey. Just took our first official highway ride. We got a lot of helmet shake/vibration from the wind. Since we are new to this, does that mean that our helmets are too lose? Or is there anything to help combat that?

Spyder Garage

Maybe. Are they a snug fit? If not try 1 size smaller. The helmet should be snug but not real tight.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    Hey. Just took our first official highway ride. We got a lot of helmet shake/vibration from the wind. Since we are new to this, does that mean that our helmets are too lose? Or is there anything to help combat that?
    Your profile indicates a new 2011 RT-S. Your helmet should not be jiggling around--and should firmly fit. A loose helmet, means it will fly off in the event it is needed.

You might also try adjusting your windshield screen up or down to find the "sweet spot" where you do not get any wind buffeting.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

You don't indicate what you are riding but if it is an RT you may want to move the windshield up or down a couple of inches and that may cut down the turbulence. Your helmet sounds like it is too loose.

Helmets with visors tend to be much more stable in the wind. Just that little snap on or screw on visor is a big assist in smoothing out the jiggles caused by the wind.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Only time I get helmet buffeting is if I forget and leave my chin guard up (it's a modular helmet)

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

How tall are you? I'm 6'1" and even with the windshield all the way up I experience a little buffeting.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Put your helmet on, DO NOT fasten the chin strap. Gently shake your head forwards and backwards, and then from side to side. If the helmet/s move around while doing this.......................they're too loose. You either need smaller helmets, or if you have helmets that have removable padding you may be able to replace them with larger pads. Good luck!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone. We were out for an extended ride. . We are indeed on an RT. It is better with the windsheild all the way up, but we actually started that way and it gets really bad if we put in in any other position so it wasn't down for long. I may dig our our visors and try that. If that doesn't help, we may have to try a size smaller.

Spyder Garage

I'm a little on the tall side and had a terrible amount of wind buffeting with the stock RT windshield in any position. I got the tall cal-sci windshield and it solved my problem.

Spyder Garage

put a base ball type hat on backwards and put the helment on over it thet will snug up your helment thats what i do and it works good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Flanker's got you covered on checking the fit of the helmets.
    Other than that; excessive buffeting from the windshield might need to be addressed...
    I hate to bring this up, but a different windshield might be needed to solve the problem too!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Proper fit

The way we were taught in HD Mototclothes is put your helmet on and lace it up. Put your hands on either side of your helmet and rock it back and forth. It should be snug enuff to slightly move the skin above your eyebrows up and down. We would encourage customers to wear the helmet around the store as they shop to see if they feel any pressure points. And on a side note, Sioux Falls is my hometown!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Wind Buffeting

Congratulations on the new ride.

I normally wear a Vega Transit which is a 3/4 helmet. It fits snug but not tight enough to give me a headache. Anne usually wears a 1/2 helmet with a combination of a 1/2 shield and a visor. She gets a fair amount of buffeting at highway speeds. Sitting up front I get very little buffeting.

When we double up the windscreen goes full height. When by myself it goes down to where I can just see over the top....

You may have to consider different helmet styles OT several different styles in your ready room depending on the ride and temperature your going to be for the day or trip.. Our ready room has three styles of helmets in iit. His and hers, 1/2, 3/4 and full face black and white ( summer and winter ).
    Last edited by Bob Ledford; 07-27-2013 at 01:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jwulf74 View Post
    What type of helmet to you wear?
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

We currently have convertible helmets that we rear as 3/4. The chin price made us both too claustrophibic especially when trying to take it off.

Spyder Garage

I currently have 3 helmets. A Scorpion 1/2, a GMax 3/4 and a Bell Revolver Modular (brand new).
    I like all 3, but do notice more buffeting when I have the 1/2 on, no face shield just the drop down sun shield and doesn't mater up or down. The 3/4 is fine as long as the face shield is down, up a notch or 2 for ventilation is okay except that the rattle can be annoying. The Bell is great, quiet even with the face shield up but almost unnerving with it down. I turned the G9's volume down quite a bit and still have no trouble hearing the wife from her bike. Also seems like I hear the Bugs engine better and the traffic around me also. I suspect it's the drop in wind noise. Have to have everything up to put it on and still have to take my glasses off to get into it. Really think I'm going to like the Bell. It actually feels lighter on than my GMax and it's hasn't felt noiticably hotter than the other helmet..

The other folks have pretty much covered the fit thing. I was told once that a new helmet should feel a little tight but not have noticeable preasure points. So far that's worked for me along with the other pointers mentioned above.

Enjoy your new critter.

Ride safe,
    Curt Givens KC8STE
    Dayton, OH - Home of Hamvention
    MOLON LABE
    2012 Viper Red RT-S
    Center tail/brake light
    Mud flap run/ts
    Fender bright sides
    LED Tip lights
    Rivco Flag holder on trunk
    BRP Hitch
    Piggybacker XL Trailer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I road from Woodbridge VA to the Spyderfest, and the entire way I was thinking that I needed a new windshield because I was getting buffeted by the wind the entire trip. I wear a full face helmet during cold weather riding. Coming back home from the Spyderfest I accidentally lowered the windshield half an inch, and the buffeting went away. I'm 5'10" and I have the RT. I now have zero buffeting with the stock windshield.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I hate to bring this up, but a different windshield might be needed to solve the problem too!
    In my opinion this is most likely what you may need to look into. The 2011 RT will not have a vented windshield like the 2013 does. Attached is a link to a windshield with a hole in it. In my opinion this is key, I appreciate wind can get up through the bottom of the RT windshield BUT after installing mine it still made a significant difference with "head bobble"! CanAm now sells the 2013 vented windshield which will bolt up to the 2011, or like I say another version http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/SpyderRTprod.html
    2011 RTS SM5