Spyder Garage

Default New 2013 Spyder RT-S SM5

My wife and I recently purchased a 2013 RT-S SM5 in Viper Red. I’ve ridden 2 wheels my whole life and have been licensed for 25 years now. Our last bike was a VFR800 with all of the touring accessories.

Our neighbor bought a 2012 RT Limited SE5 last year and from day one, my wife was interested in it. We’ve taken it out numerous times since then and she loves it. So much so, that she wouldn’t even get on the VFR anymore. Therefore, we made the switch.

For me, I was willing to give up the 2 wheels, but I could NOT give up the clutch, so we bought the manual. We have about 750 miles on it so far and we are really enjoying it.

As far as modifications, I'm thinking about adding a sway bar and exhaust. I'd love to hear opinions on both of those. Thanks.

Spyder.jpg

Spyder Garage

on the new wheels. The BaJaRon swaybars are the greatest !!
    2014 RT S SE-6 Cognac, 2014 Indian Chieftain. Retired Navy Chief

Registered Users EnjoyingTheRyde's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Congratulations on the ryde! We're thinking about the anti-sway bar for my wifes ryde also...
    His: 2012 HD Tri Glide Ember Red/Merlot
    Hers: 2012 Can Am Spyder
    RT-S Quantum Blue Metallic

Spyder Garage

on your new ryde.

I am not a fan of the add-ons you mentioned--but don't let that stop you. You have to farkle the new your way.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Congrats! Mine is a SM5 as well. I just wanted the manual tranny. You will like it!

As for add-on's I went for additional safety stuff first like trunk break light and turn signals on the mirrors. Then went for a BRT communication system.
    I don't think I need the sway bar honestly. It rides fine for me with shocks set at 5. But I know/heard the 13's don't allow shock adjustment.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stewartj239 View Post
    As far as modifications, I'm thinking about adding a sway bar and exhaust. I'd love to hear opinions on both of those.
    I would wait until you have a few more miles under your belt for the sway bar. Make sure you need it, at first I thought I would have to do something but earlier this year I caught myself sailing along the expressway as comfortable as can be, no swaying, no fear, straight as an arrow. As for the muffler I would not put one on unless I removed the Catalytic convertor. I just don't really see the "gain" to a muffler after the catalytic convertor on these things? Just my opinion however if you go ahead let us know what you think?
    Last edited by Buttsy; 07-20-2013 at 05:48 PM.
    2011 RTS SM5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now that fun can REALLY begin!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Congrats and the swaybar is great.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

My wife and I recently purchased a 2013 RT-S SM5 in Viper Red. I’ve ridden 2 wheels my whole life and have been licensed for 25 years now. Our last bike was a VFR800 with all of the touring accessories.

Our neighbor bought a 2012 RT Limited SE5 last year and from day one, my wife was interested in it. We’ve taken it out numerous times since then and she loves it. So much so, that she wouldn’t even get on the VFR anymore. Therefore, we made the switch.

For me, I was willing to give up the 2 wheels, but I could NOT give up the clutch, so we bought the manual. We have about 750 miles on it so far and we are really enjoying it.

As far as modifications, I'm thinking about adding a sway bar and exhaust. I'd love to hear opinions on both of those. Thanks.

Spyder.jpg
    Congrats and ride safe!
    If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Spyder Garage

and on your new ..............Ron's swaybar is well worth the money, so are Elka Shocks, Vented Windshields, etc., etc., etc. Once you have the "farkle" bug, it never ends!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The first thing I added was a bump skid to protect the nose. I didn't think the anti-sway bar would be necessary, but now I have it and there's a great improvement.

PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

and ditto on the bump skid
    2017 F3- Limited

F4 23" Windshield, Ultimate Backrest, Spyder Cuff, SpyderPops Bump Guard, Sena SMH10 Intercom, BajaRon Sway Bar, Baker Cup Holder, RT-622 trailer w/Spyder Pops Bump Guard

Spyder Garage

I second the Bump Skid. It saves the bottom from a lot of curb crunches, It is illegal to remove any emission device. Including a Cat. Converter. I installed a straight pipe on my 2012 Rt s. it wasn't too expensive. I like the sound and I think it improves the power also. It doesn't sound like a Harley but you tell it is a high performance V twin.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The red looks great with the black wheels! I also have the 2013 RTS SM5 because paddle shifting to me is just weird. I have the BajaRon sway bar and love it I just got back from a weekend in the mountains of Montana and Wyoming and it handled great with the bar.

Enjoy the new ride!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats..!!

on your new ryde..I agree you should really get comfortable with your roadster before you modify the handling. The BajaRon sway bar makes a big difference. The shock re-locating blocks do as well. Then there are the shocks. We have done the bar later the blocks and found that this is our happy place. Shocks are really expensive and the handling is great now. Exhausts will depend on what you want. Better sound or better performance. Depending on that you have a variety of choices. The new Yoshimura 77 I hear is great but don't know if you have to add the regulator as well..well enjoy the ryde and send some pic's...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. We have almost 1000 miles on the Spyder and decided to order the sway bar. The stability control system is engaging quite a bit when cornering and I'm hoping that the sway bar helps to alleviate that. I like the safety feature in general, but I think it kicks in way too early. Any thoughts?

Spyder Garage

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. We have almost 1000 miles on the Spyder and decided to order the sway bar. The stability control system is engaging quite a bit when cornering and I'm hoping that the sway bar helps to alleviate that. I like the safety feature in general, but I think it kicks in way too early. Any thoughts?
    I am thinking that if you are riding that aggressively you will really want the sway bar and maybe a shock upgrade. As for a muffler, I changed to a 2 Brothers and even though it will never be as loud as some two wheelers, it does have a deeper note that gets a bit stronger the more miles you run.
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

we had concerns when we first started riding our new RT-S 4 weeks ago - but we slowed it down (got off the highways) and gradually increased our speed over a week of daily riding for hours - within 1 week the issues were gone. No more high speed wobble, no computer system kicking in at corners. This spyder rides like a dream and the more relaxed we drive the smoother the ride.

I am not new to driving motorcycles - this is simply a different beast that doesn't respond well to traditional two wheel handling.

You can buy the sway bar but if you give it a bit more time to relax more you may find it unnecessary. It all depends on how aggressively you want to ride. Whatever you decide the ride needs to fit your fun.

Best wishes & enjoy

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by captblack View Post
    I am thinking that if you are riding that aggressively you will really want the sway bar and maybe a shock upgrade. As for a muffler, I changed to a 2 Brothers and even though it will never be as loud as some two wheelers, it does have a deeper note that gets a bit stronger the more miles you run.
    For the exhaust, I guess I'm assuming that the bike is restricted with the stock muffler on there. That has been my experience with previous motorcycles. In reality, it doesn't feel too plugged up with the stock unit. I'm assuming an aftermarket exhaust would make the bike run a little cleaner while adding a little more HP. If this is not true, then I won't waste the money.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kaykinder View Post
    we had concerns when we first started riding our new RT-S 4 weeks ago

I am not new to driving motorcycles - this is simply a different beast that doesn't respond well to traditional two wheel handling.
    It sounds like you are a new RT-S owner as well. We bought the Spyder over a Gold Wing because my wife felt more comfortable on it. I have ridden 2 wheels on the street for the last 25 years and 2 wheels on the dirt for the last 35 years, so the Spyder is new to me. The more I ride it, the more I like it, but I do want to learn it and push it - it's just human nature. My biggest complaint right now is with the VSS, so I hope the sway bar will help with that.

Spyder Garage

Welcome.
    Good choice on the swaybar. REALLY makes a difference.
    I also suggest you consider a Utopia Backrest. It's great for long distance comfort.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey