Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Cruise Control question...

Just recently purchased 2012 RT Limited, so it comes standard with factory cruise control. Upon using the cruise control, set for 55 mph... works great. Coming into a 45 mph zone, I used the cruise control switch to slow down to the new speed but still keep it on cruise, and it was fine down to 46 mph, but when it hits 45 mph it drops out of cruise. I went back to the dealer and asked what was wrong and got the answer that it "might be dust/dirt on the speed sensor interfering with the cruise." I told them that the speed was correct as having gone through a radar setup for a construction zone that showed the speed was within 1 mph of the bike, also the speed on the GPS matches the speed of the digital display of the bike. They didn't seem to have any other response. Needless to say I'm not buying in on their response, so I thought I'd asked the experienced riders here a spyderlovers. If anyone has an answer I'd appreciate being able to go back and educate the dealer. Thanks in advance for all that are able to respond.

Spyder Garage

Did you hit a bump when it kicked off? Some brake light switches are very touchy.
    Mine did the same thing when I hit a bump. When I would press on the brake pedal the switch would turn on with only 1/8 inch of movement. After having it adjusted no more problem.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Cruise works on RPM's so if you get under about 2,500-3,000 rpm's it will kick off. So slowing in a given gear will kick cruise off. Saw this on spyderlovers a few weeks ago. And found this to be true.

Spyder Garage

Default Cruise Control question...

No didn't hit any bump.. was smooth road. Wouldn't re-engage until the speed was back up to at least 46 mph.

Quote Originally Posted by samewok View Post
    Did you hit a bump when it kicked off? Some brake light switches are very touchy.
    Mine did the same thing when I hit a bump. When I would press on the brake pedal the switch would turn on with only 1/8 inch of movement. After having it adjusted no more problem.

Spyder Garage

Default Cruise Control question...

Showie - thanks I'll have to give that a try. I was in 5th gear, not sure what the rpm might have been, but I'll check it out. I was expecting it to be like an auto that works on a certain min speed. Most autos are between 30 -35 for min speed.. regardless of gear or rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by Showie View Post
    Cruise works on RPM's so if you get under about 2,500-3,000 rpm's it will kick off. So slowing in a given gear will kick cruise off. Saw this on spyderlovers a few weeks ago. And found this to be true.

Spyder Garage

I am guessing that a 2012 RT Limited is a SE5. If so if you are in fifth gear and slowing and the RPM drops to a point that it senses the clutch slipping the cruise control will disconnect. At that speed you should be in 4th.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

at 45 mph in 5th gear it probably is rpm related. I usually run around town at 45-50 mph in 3rd gear.

Spyder Garage

I would think it is RPM related. I can set my cruse at 22 in 1st gear.

Spyder Garage

Default As per owners manual

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    What the heck does that last sentence mean?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

You can use the throttle apparatus to increase speed to make the transition better.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Wiredux View Post
    You can use the throttle apparatus to increase speed to make the transition better.
    I must really be tired because that seems like a ridiculous statement to me. Not yours, Wire, but the BRP book.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I must really be tired because that seems like a ridiculous statement to me. Not yours, Wire, but the BRP book.
    Yes. I don't see the throttle as a lever either.

Spyder Garage

On my 2013 RTS SE5 the cruise works at any speed, even 25 mph. But, you have to be in the appropriate gear. At 55 I would be in 4th gear. At 45 I would be in 3rd gear. If you are not keeping the RPM's up, the clutch is not properly engaged and will wear. If you were at 55 in 5th gear and bumped the cruise until you reached 45 in 5th gear, you are probably lugging the engine, potentially damaging your clutch and the cruise will kick off. IMHO

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I think what BRP is saying, although very poorly (french - english translation?), is that the rider may wish to increase engine speed somewhat when turning off the cruise control so that an abrupt compression deceleration doesn't occur. I find myself doing this occasionally in certain situations, although I don't recall ever reading that sentence in the past.

Mike
    Idaho
    www.rtwrider.net

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    What the heck does that last sentence mean?
    It means there is no hysteresis in the control software and the switch functions as an on off switch. Which is dumb programming.

Carl
    2012 White RT Limited and 2013 Yellow ST-S Think 3 .i.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by quickster47 View Post
    It means there is no hysteresis in the control software and the switch functions as an on off switch. Which is dumb programming.

Carl
    Well there kind of is. When in cruse the throttle spring pulls the manual twist throttle all the way back. So the cruise control does not actually move the throttle grip. However you can use the throttle grip to speed up above the cruise control setting and when you let go, it will drop back to the cruise setting.

This is the same as how a car cruise control works. If you tap the break or turn it off, your foot is not on the gas peddle and you slow down. Same here with the spyder.

Personally I use cruise all the time! It's like a built in cramp buster! Then again I use it on my cars all the time and it is a ticket saver

FYI, I did hit a big bump once and it must have bounced the break peddle. That's the only time I have had it drop out of cruise control.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Showie View Post
    2013 RT-S se5, C/D HMT third tail light( r/b/t), Ram Cup holder, TRICLED front fender LED's (r/t), C/D Bright sides (r/t), Bajaron sway bar and metal heim links, TRICLED mirror turn signal LED's, ISCI tall dual flag holder, BackOff LED license plate frame, "Rufus" (stuffed 20" Bulldog) real one wants nothing to do with bike. Honel tri bag for dash, recordingguy25's (SL handle) custom mud flap ( didn't want plain old square cut mud flap. Spyderpops critter gitter. Gremlin Bell

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default 3000 rpm minimum to set

Cruise control must be at 3000 rpms to work. it will work in any gear as long as you are at least 3000 rpms. any that is what mine does.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AkWinter View Post
    I went back to the dealer and asked what was wrong and got the answer that it "might be dust/dirt on the speed sensor interfering with the cruise."
    You need to tell that guy that if he can't make up a plausible lie then the best thing is to say "I'm not sure, let me find out". I really hate when people just make up a lie when they don't know the answer to a question.

JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    You need to tell that guy that if he can't make up a plausible lie then the best thing is to say "I'm not sure, let me find out". I really hate when people just make up a lie when they don't know the answer to a question.

JT
    He's got to be able to think quicker on his feet than THAT!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post

JT

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

If I shift to a lower gear the cruise control will turn off. Remember to keep the rpms at 4000 or higher.

Spyder Garage

I think the issue also is RPM related. I use my cruise control a LOT here in AK and have never had any problems with it running at less than 45 mph. You just have to be in the correct operating gear and range. I recommend shifting up at 5000, and keeping the rpms in the 4500-5500 in any gear. For me, 5th is usually used for 65 mph and up highways.

We have discussed dealers by PM--so I will leave it at that.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-20-2013 at 04:18 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Thread: Cruise Control question...

I have an RT SE5, 2010. I have found that at 45 mph the cruise control doesn't work. At 46 or higher it works fine. I live with it.