Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool 2011 RTL Vibration

I DO NOT have any vibration in the ranges you quoted.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This weekend I felt some vibration when at speed with 2 riders. Cruise on, 2 riders, climbing a hill at 60, when rpms dropped to 4500 on the hill, the motor seemed to be working hard, and vibrating... as we crested the hill, and rpms came back up, it was fine.

So it seems under heavy load I do have a little something going on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JLSpyder2012 View Post
    Hello my spyderlover friends...

My RT is having vibrations -- specifically around 5300 - 6500 rpms about 70-80 mph...found this out the hard way on a 1200 mile trip using interstates with 75 mph limits - first time I had it at that speed on an extended basis. Vibrated on up hill grades, not down hill. I could accelerate out of it, but when it settled down again going up the grade, it would vibrate.

Anyway, the dealer had my bike a full week (Thurs - Thurs) - wow. They did fix my glove box so it locks now (cable was off at the switch area) - great!

The single most important issue I had told them was the vibration. It was so bad my wife could not put her feet on the passenger floorpads! We would go below 70 or exceed 80 in order to miss the vibration range (interstate in SD where speed limit is 75 mph) -- what a terrible way to ride a new bike (it had about 2600 miles at the start of this trip and we now have 4200 miles on it).

DO ALL RT'S HAVE THIS VIBRATION ISSUE??? That's what the Tech told me. He called BRP and they said at the 6200 rpm range, vibration "happens" - wow for a $25-30K motorcycle that you can't ride on the interstate comfortably?????

I would appreciate any suggestions. The Tech said he tightened the belt to the upper spec range and did some alignment - the vibration is still there! The Tech also informed me how much time he took on this (he did ride my bike 22 miles as I checked the odometer when I dropped it off and when I picked it up). No doubt he tried to do his best. He stated that this is normally an "owner" issue in terms of the tightness of the belt and alignment and I was fortunate that the dealership picked it up as BRP would not warranty it....I felt like I was getting a "talkin to" by this 30 something Tech ( I'm 58 with a Mechanical Engineering degree, retired and have worked as an auto mechanic in my earlier days) - I was nice and did not say much to him and just listened when I asked him questions. He finalized the conversation by saying he rode same model, same year and compared it -- they all do it!! WOW.

Anyway....I love the Spyder in it's design and functionality. I can get around issues like the heat on the right foot, glove box issues, etc, but this vibration issue is a "deal breaker" if I intend to keep the spyder. I would hate to get rid of it, but I have riden many other bikes on interstates (such as a 2012 Gold Wing) and it's "smooth" and quiet.

So any thoughts you all have would be appreciated! I see there is a tension pulley for the bottom of the belt, but I'm concerned it just another add-on that may not work.

Safe and happy ridin' to all of you!
    My experience with vibrations on a 2008 RS. ( a previous 2008 RS did not have the vibration problems by the way): 1) add a smoothspyder or some other belt idler. BRP reduced the belt tension on all bikes and it led to vibration at a certain RPM. 2) Spin balance your tires. Not all BRP dealers are capable of this and they won't necessarily tell you this unless you ask. 3) What finally fixed mine was taking the Ride On out of the tires. Ride On has a lot of fans in the motorbike world but apparently it can cause a problem in some cases. Good luck.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My RT is having vibrations -- specifically around 5300 - 6500 rpms about 70-80 mph...found this out the hard way on a 1200 mile trip using interstates with 75 mph limits - first time I had it at that speed on an extended basis. Vibrated on up hill grades, not down hill. I could accelerate out of it, but when it settled down again going up the grade, it would vibrate.
    In all likelihood, the vibration is coming from your drive belt. Typical rpm vibration points are 4200, 5200 and up in the 6300 range. I have exactly what you are describing on my 2012 RTS Limited. One thing that helps is a pea sized glob of white lithium grease on the belt teeth, Yes... grease on the belt... but only white lithium. It helps... I'm hoping Can-Am will address this issue... it should not be this way.

Some have added belt tensioners to alleviate the problem.

TexGEOas
    Argyle, TX
    2012 RTS Ltd

Spyder Garage

Default Guaranteed to STOP Belt Flap Vibration

Anyway, the dealer had my bike a full week (Thurs - Thurs) - wow. They did fix my glove box so it locks now (cable was off at the switch area) - great!

The single most important issue I had told them was the vibration. It was so bad my wife could not put her feet on the passenger floorpads! We would go below 70 or exceed 80 in order to miss the vibration range (interstate in SD where speed limit is 75 mph) -- what a terrible way to ride a new bike (it had about 2600 miles at the start of this trip and we now have 4200 miles on it).

DO ALL RT'S HAVE THIS VIBRATION ISSUE??? That's what the Tech told me. He called BRP and they said at the 6200 rpm range, vibration "happens" - wow for a $25-30K motorcycle that you can't ride on the interstate comfortably?????

I would appreciate any suggestions. The Tech said he tightened the belt to the upper spec range and did some alignment - the vibration is still there! The Tech also informed me how much time he took on this (he did ride my bike 22 miles as I checked the odometer when I dropped it off and when I picked it up). No doubt he tried to do his best. He stated that this is normally an "owner" issue in terms of the tightness of the belt and alignment and I was fortunate that the dealership picked it up as BRP would not warranty it....I felt like I was getting a "talkin to" by this 30 something Tech ( I'm 58 with a Mechanical Engineering degree, retired and have worked as an auto mechanic in my earlier days) - I was nice and did not say much to him and just listened when I asked him questions. He finalized the conversation by saying he rode same model, same year and compared it -- they all do it!! WOW.

Anyway....I love the Spyder in it's design and functionality. I can get around issues like the heat on the right foot, glove box issues, etc, but this vibration issue is a "deal breaker" if I intend to keep the spyder. I would hate to get rid of it, but I have riden many other bikes on interstates (such as a 2012 Gold Wing) and it's "smooth" and quiet.

So any thoughts you all have would be appreciated! I see there is a tension pulley for the bottom of the belt, but I'm concerned it just another add-on that may not work.

Safe and happy ridin' to all of you!
    Hi, I am Bruce Baker from Baker Built Air Wings. We recently developed a new Belt Stabilizer that is guaranteed to solve your Vibration Problem or you can return it for a full refund. It sells for $195.00 and can be installed in about 5-10 minutes I recently installed one in under 3 minutes. All Baker Built Air Wing Products come with a 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee and a 1 year warranty on all parts & labor.
    Sincerely, Bruce L Baker
    0003 small.jpg0042small.jpg

Spyder Garage

First post. I just picked up a 2012 RT Limited and rode it from the dealer in AR, home to Houston. Around town it was surprisingly smooth. Got onto the interstate and in 5th gear, going 70 to 80mph and when going up a small incline it felt like an instant on rock crusher had started! I was shocked and thought maybe a motor mount had given out. Giving more or less throttle made it go away, but any constant speed with a load and it would reappear.
    Good to know it is not just me and have some info when I take this to the dealer. May have to go the belt tensioner route.
    Thanks for the information!!

Spyder Garage

Default My 2012 RT is perfect

It is perfect in 4th or 5th at 60, 70, 80, and 87. I've never gone faster than 87--At least, I don't think I have!

so, in my non engineer and non mechanic opinion--I'm a retired government bureaucrat by trade-- in my uneducated opinion, your dealer did a lousy job at setting it up. Get everything checked: tire balance, wheel alignment, belt tension, belt alignment, motor and transmission alignment. Tire pressure 18 front 28 back. Also get rid of Ride On, and/or alignment beads.
    Then change the oil--make sure you have the right stuff in there. If your desler messed up other stuff, don't trust that either. ...and while you're at it, get the brakes checked for smooth operation. Could you have a defective rotor?

Just some ideas from someone who'se ride is perfect...and hopes it stays that way.

Dan
    Dan

2012 Viper Red Rt
    upgrades:
    Baja Ron's Anti-Sway
    Diamond-R Arm Rests
    Gloriders
    High mount brake light
    chrome front fender garnish
    Bad Boy Horn
    Chrome Deflector Rack
    Chrome Scuff Nose Accent
    Handlebar Grip Fringe
    Gremlin Bells

Spyder Garage

Default Similar Vibration Fixed

My 2011 RT Limited (around 13,500 miles) also had a vibration the last several months. It was most felt by my left foot but I could feel it in the seat and other foot. I finally was able to determine that it was usually just as I was backing off the throttle or holding speed at around 4500 rpm. I had Pitbull tighten the belt and the vibration is now gone. It rides much smoother at all speeds. Our speed limits max out at 70 mph, so I don't get up to 75-80 mph much, only when I'm passing someone.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ParDuff View Post
    My 2011 RT Limited (around 13,500 miles) also had a vibration the last several months. It was most felt by my left foot but I could feel it in the seat and other foot. I finally was able to determine that it was usually just as I was backing off the throttle or holding speed at around 4500 rpm. I had Pitbull tighten the belt and the vibration is now gone. It rides much smoother at all speeds. Our speed limits max out at 70 mph, so I don't get up to 75-80 mph much, only when I'm passing someone.
    had the same trouble with my 2112 rt froze up engin at 4500 with bad vibration from the moter and trany any time it was in a pull after 1500 more miles with a new moter and trany and a worse vibration and bad shifting broblem it in again for a new moter and trany 18 days and waiting

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Vibration

Hi,
    I'm new to the Spyder and this forum but will share what I can and gather what I can in hopes of keeping my Spyder rather than seeking a buyback. Forgive me if someone has replied in kind and i missed it, but what you are describing sounds like a harmonic vibration from the belt because of the distance between sprockets. Common issue that many have, many have and are not bothered by or don't notice it, and is considered normal by BRP from what I've been told. Unfortunately, this vibration like any other, will take it's toll over time. There are tensioned idlers available from the aftermarket that many swear by, but I have heard it may void the warranty if noted by the dealer. BRP's answer is to vary the rpm up or down when the vibration starts. Really? I have a hard time buying "normal" as that implies they all do it. I rented one before I bought mine and it did not do it @ 10k. Mine did not do it until around 400 miles. The dealers are limited as to what they can do and the best you can hope for is that you get the correct belt adjustment. I plan to try an idler when I get mine back from the dealer.
    My wife and I really like our Spyder except for this issue that can be extremely uncomfortable and annoying, at times feeling unsafe. We have had it 3 months and just got back from a 2000 mile trip to Colorado which brought about a few other issues that hopefully can be resolved. If this vibration can't be fixed or at best, minimized...............bye bye Spyder. Wish you the best of luck.
    Russ

Spyder Garage

Our 2012 RT LTD has the same vibration issues even with the Smoothspyder installed and set correctly.

2012 RT Limited (White)
    Tricled fenderz, 3rd and 4th brake lights, mirror mounted rear signals and tip lights. HID head and fog lights. Smooth Spyder. Bajaron Swaybar

Spyder Garage

I have he SmoothSpyder installed and feel the same vibration that you describe. It is so bad I can understand wanting to sell the Spyder. My belt tension has been set several times by different dealers and it still does it. I will be dropping it off at the dealer for an extended period of time when it gets cold here and he said he will see what he can do. I am fearful that BRP will just stand by their line of "being normal" and not authorize any work even tough I am still under warranty. I REALLY dislike riding my Spyder on the freeway (especially when 2-up) because the vibration ruins the experience. I have ridden a 2013 RT and the vibration was not present, so I know it is not normal. I pray for a solution or I too may have to haul out the old 'for sale' sign.

Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk....
    Sent from the corner of walk and don't walk...

Spyder Garage

Got some new info. Talked to a Gates rep,,,, yep a man from Gates Rubber, told him about the vibration issue and he chuckled. Said BRP decided to use a China belt, mine is chinese, and also told me that if we were to use a Gates belt it would resolve the issue. Somehow I tend to believe him.
    My vibrations have been minimized but using a more relaxed belt tension, (krikit 200 to 240lbs) and using a belt tensioner. I'm not sure how much pressure I have on the tensioner, I just kept making it tighter until the vibration stopped.

Spyder Garage

Default anything new?

Quote Originally Posted by MarCarl View Post
    Got some new info. Talked to a Gates rep,,,, yep a man from Gates Rubber, told him about the vibration issue and he chuckled. Said BRP decided to use a China belt, mine is chinese, and also told me that if we were to use a Gates belt it would resolve the issue. Somehow I tend to believe him.
    My vibrations have been minimized but using a more relaxed belt tension, (krikit 200 to 240lbs) and using a belt tensioner. I'm not sure how much pressure I have on the tensioner, I just kept making it tighter until the vibration stopped.
    How do you get a gates belt for these spyders? any new info on what else to do for this vibration? 2012 RT SE5 with 1600 miles on it second owner we bought it with 1052 miles on it a few months ago

Spyder Garage

Default 640

i just did 640 miles of NO smiles , one shot, 13 hours ride from Florida to my home in SoCar....
    left Stuart, FL on US95 North to US26 in SoCar to Rt.385 and home...
    what i did notice is while at 70 mph with cruise control ON... when going down a grade, i felt the vibrations you speak about.... on FLAT or UP a grade, NO VIBRATIONS....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RECENT NEW VIBRATIONS

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    i just did 640 miles of NO smiles , one shot, 13 hours ride from Florida to my home in SoCar....
    left Stuart, FL on US95 North to US26 in SoCar to Rt.385 and home...
    what i did notice is while at 70 mph with cruise control ON... when going down a grade, i felt the vibrations you speak about.... on FLAT or UP a grade, NO VIBRATIONS....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    Even tho the difference is very, very slight ..... when going downhill the tension the engine is NOT exerting the same amount of force as when pulling on the belt ..... I have noticed the same thing on my 2014 RT and my Kritkit is about 160lbs , I don't have any type of damper, and I have no bad vibes ..................... Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 04-09-2018 at 12:41 PM.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

A Vibration Damper solved that issue for me. We make one that has O rings on the roller for the 2013 and earlier also.
    https://www.roadsterrenovations.info/products