Spyder Garage

Default Just returned from 5,000 mile 3 week trip to Grand Canyon. Butt sore!

Just got back from a 5,000 mile 3 week trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon on my RT-S, where I stayed for a week. NC, TN, AR, OK, TX, NM, AZ, NV, UT, CO, KS, MO, IL, KY, TN, NC. I have now become more than familiar with Tired Butt. After an hour or so the nerve in my left butt bone began to hurt. After a few hours it was excrutiating, even with an Air Hawk cushion. One day I rode for 10 hours, and the last day 12 hours from Missouri to North Carolina spanning 5 states. At first, standing on the pegs a little for a few seconds helped with blood flow and decreased the pain for a few minutes, but after a while it didn't help much. The edge of the Air Hawk cut off blood flow in my left leg, but removing it didn't help much so I just moved it back quite a bit so it supported only my butt bones, which did eleviate some of the pain that radiated down my left leg into my knee and foot. My left hand is still a bit numb from the nerves on the left side being pinched for so long and so often. I used a leather sissy bar clothing bag bungie corded on the back seat as a sort of backrest but it didn't help much. The Spyder itself performed magnificently in 113 degree desert heat. Used a half quart of oil by Flagstaff (2100 miles), and another half quart by return to NC, and the oil was still clean and clear. Even did well at the Grand Canyon at elevations of 9,000 feet and where they only had 87 octane gas and I had to add octane boost (better pingin' than pushin'), though it did very well. Found out all gas west of Tennessee is lower octane. Premium is 91 octane, and in NM or somewhere out there it was 86 for regular, 88 for mid grade, and 90 for premium. My Spyder was glad to get back East to 93 octane where it's performance jumped back to optimum/maximum. Needless to say I have one helluva tan.
    [/IMG]

2012 RT-S SE5, Pure Magnesium Metallic (traded in)
    2015 RT LTD SE6, Red Pearl, Ultra Comfort Seat
    MODS: shorty antenna, BajaRon sway bar, Air Hawk cushion, custom LED US flag, custom Sue Hopper painted SPECOPS hood logo, custom Combat Craft Crewman windshield engraving, cup holder, Doc Humphry's 2017 complete RT kit belt tensioner

Spyder Garage

Sounds like one heck of a trip! I would like to do a long trip some day, just haven't got up the motivation to do it. Need to take a few shorter ones first to get used to it. Thanks for your story.

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

Spyder Garage

That's a heckuva trip!

RE: cushions, I find that I have the best luck on long trips when I pack *two* cushion options. In my case, I rely on my Ultimate Seat as my "stock" seat, ride that for a while, then add in either my Beadrider or my Airhawk, then after a while riding with one of those, switch out for the other cushion.

Yeah, it's a chore packing *two* cushions when one would hope to get by with one (or none!), but really, the key to long distances is just keep swapping them around, and taking long-enough breaks (I find that walking around during a break helps better than just finding another seat to sit on). It's impossible to NOT hurt on a long enough trip, but with a little practice, you can make it a *good* hurt.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Sounds fun although the monkey butt doesn't. I will be riding a while longer before I attempt the long ride.
    2017 F3- Limited

F4 23" Windshield, Ultimate Backrest, Spyder Cuff, SpyderPops Bump Guard, Sena SMH10 Intercom, BajaRon Sway Bar, Baker Cup Holder, RT-622 trailer w/Spyder Pops Bump Guard

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear your ryde went well as far as mechanical issues. The body issues can present a problem though.

RE: Gas--it is interesting to see the regional variations in gasoline. 90 is the highest octane I can find in AK. No ethanol--so the runs pretty good on that.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 07-16-2013 at 02:35 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The pain in your leg/butt sounds a lot like it actually could be sciatica. If that is the case it may originate in your back instead of in the piriformis muscle of the butt, where the very similar malady of piriformis syndrome originates. It might pay to have it checked out by a physician or physical therapist.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Had a problem with pain shooting down right leg while driving. My chiropractor told me to take my wallet out of my pocket while driving. It helped. Mind you, my wallet isn't very thick but sitting on it caused pressure on the nerves. Now whenever I'm on a long trip either in the cage or on the Spyder, I put my wallet in the glove box. Just something to consider.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you had a great trip except for the sore butt! We did the North Rim last year prior to the Owners Event in Durango, all together different than ther South Rim, really beautiful!

I am surprised that you couldn't find 93 octane in Missouri, it is readily available in most of the state.

As far as the sore butt, we have a full size sheep skin for our RT Ltd from Misty Mountain ( vendor at Spyderfest this year) and it really makes the ryde comfortable. We have done 700 mile days with no problems.

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Had a problem with pain shooting down right leg while driving. My chiropractor told me to take my wallet out of my pocket while driving. It helped. Mind you, my wallet isn't very thick but sitting on it caused pressure on the nerves. Now whenever I'm on a long trip either in the cage or on the Spyder, I put my wallet in the glove box. Just something to consider.
    Since having back pain and three surgeries in the 80's and 90's I quit putting anything in my back pockets for that very reason. I cannot even put a hanky there now without having discomfort. Makes good sense....

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks all.

Some good skinny to check out. I was pretty toasty round about Missouri coming back so I may be wrong about the octane there, but west of there and west of Tennessee it was all lower octane. Occassionally ethanol, occassionally not. In the east the octane is better but many if not most gas is 10% ethanol unfortunately. I read somewhere the feds are considering 15%, but that would be the end of my motor I suspect. Oh, I almost forgot. The Management at the North Rim Grand Canyon Lodge liked my Spyder so much they asked me to be in their 4th of July parade. They give everyone, employees and guests alike, water canons and huge squirt guns. I had one of the front desk girls on the back and brought up the rear of the parade. Everyone was throwing buckets of water and squirting everyone including us and it was a blast. The parade, made up of Park Service vehicles, rangers, fire trucks, and the Grand Canyon Cookout train with us behind, went around twice and then circled the campgrounds where the campers had hoses, buckets and squirt guns. So much fun. The Japanese tourists at the North Rim flipped for the Spyder and all wanted their picture taken on it so bad that they each offered to pay me for it. I declined of course, but they had fun sitting on it. They'd never seen or heard of anything like it. Questions galore, and a marketing lesson for BRP. Everywhere I went on the trip people surrounded me with questions. Very few people have even heard of Can Am. I must have greased the skids for at least two dozen demo rides because people were so impressed. At Pappa Joe's, a small hole in the wall gas station in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the desert six people were drawn to it and a woman who used to work for Harley Davidson corporate. She now has a marketing business and after asking every question in the book was so impressed she is contacting BRP to discuss marketing the Spyder. I mean, there are only two Can Am commercials and they don't air in most markets, and they don't go into the technicals or about how the Spyder overcomes all of the drawbacks of two wheeled bikes and even traditional trikes with safety and stability. There's something for everyone. Young, old, men, women, and none of that is pointed out in the commercials. Maybe we'll see some better marketing soon.Sam_0117a.jpgSam_0295a.jpgSam_0346a.jpg
    [/IMG]

2012 RT-S SE5, Pure Magnesium Metallic (traded in)
    2015 RT LTD SE6, Red Pearl, Ultra Comfort Seat
    MODS: shorty antenna, BajaRon sway bar, Air Hawk cushion, custom LED US flag, custom Sue Hopper painted SPECOPS hood logo, custom Combat Craft Crewman windshield engraving, cup holder, Doc Humphry's 2017 complete RT kit belt tensioner

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    I was told years back by doc to do the same thing. After about two weeks my hips and lower back stopped hurting as bad, now I only hurt most of the time except when on my . We have 92 octane Premium in Wa. that and Startron every other tank and bike runs great!! Rest well and I hope your back and leg heal soon so you can get back on the road..
    Last edited by gottago; 07-16-2013 at 10:20 PM.
    2013 RT-S se5, C/D HMT third tail light( r/b/t), Ram Cup holder, TRICLED front fender LED's (r/t), C/D Bright sides (r/t), Bajaron sway bar and metal heim links, TRICLED mirror turn signal LED's, ISCI tall dual flag holder, BackOff LED license plate frame, "Rufus" (stuffed 20" Bulldog) real one wants nothing to do with bike. Honel tri bag for dash, recordingguy25's (SL handle) custom mud flap ( didn't want plain old square cut mud flap. Spyderpops critter gitter. Gremlin Bell

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hear..!!

Sorry about the discomfort, but glad the trip went well and the roadster performed great. Hope you get the seat, butt, siatica, whatever aligned for your next adventure..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like you had fun despite the sore butt!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I'd suggest investing in a backrest. The Utopia is the best investment I've made in comfort. Still sounds like an awesome trip.

Spyder Garage

Default SIMILAR RUN

i did a similar run on my '09 RS, back in May, 4804 miles in 14 days... we saddled up here in SoCar @ my house in Easley, and rode out to UTAH via Rt. 82 and others, to ride Rt. 12, America's Most Scenic Highway.... we're planning another such ride for next year up to the Dakota's over to Yellow Stone, down thru Colorado, NM and back home... join us if you can... send me a PM if interested...

glad you had a safe ride...
    001.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default Butt pain

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Warrant View Post
    Just got back from a 5,000 mile 3 week trip to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon on my RT-S, where I stayed for a week. NC, TN, AR, OK, TX, NM, AZ, NV, UT, CO, KS, MO, IL, KY, TN, NC. I have now become more than familiar with Tired Butt. After an hour or so the nerve in my left butt bone began to hurt. After a few hours it was excrutiating, even with an Air Hawk cushion. One day I rode for 10 hours, and the last day 12 hours from Missouri to North Carolina spanning 5 states. At first, standing on the pegs a little for a few seconds helped with blood flow and decreased the pain for a few minutes, but after a while it didn't help much. The edge of the Air Hawk cut off blood flow in my left leg, but removing it didn't help much so I just moved it back quite a bit so it supported only my butt bones, which did eleviate some of the pain that radiated down my left leg into my knee and foot. My left hand is still a bit numb from the nerves on the left side being pinched for so long and so often. I used a leather sissy bar clothing bag bungie corded on the back seat as a sort of backrest but it didn't help much. The Spyder itself performed magnificently in 113 degree desert heat. Used a half quart of oil by Flagstaff (2100 miles), and another half quart by return to NC, and the oil was still clean and clear. Even did well at the Grand Canyon at elevations of 9,000 feet and where they only had 87 octane gas and I had to add octane boost (better pingin' than pushin'), though it did very well. Found out all gas west of Tennessee is lower octane. Premium is 91 octane, and in NM or somewhere out there it was 86 for regular, 88 for mid grade, and 90 for premium. My Spyder was glad to get back East to 93 octane where it's performance jumped back to optimum/maximum. Needless to say I have one helluva tan.
    dont ignore butt/sciatic pain. I was doing long- distance bicycle riding. Had same experience. Decided I'd ignore it no pain no gain it can turn in to devastating pain and neuropathy. Be careful

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GloryRyders View Post

As far as the sore butt, we have a full size sheep skin for our RT Ltd from Misty Mountain ( vendor at Spyderfest this year) and it really makes the ryde comfortable. We have done 700 mile days with no problems.
    Do you have the sheep skin fastened some way or just sit on it? I've been considering the same thing on mine.

Ride safe,
    Curt Givens KC8STE
    Dayton, OH - Home of Hamvention
    MOLON LABE
    2012 Viper Red RT-S
    Center tail/brake light
    Mud flap run/ts
    Fender bright sides
    LED Tip lights
    Rivco Flag holder on trunk
    BRP Hitch
    Piggybacker XL Trailer

Spyder Garage

Alaska Sheepskin sells skins formed for various seats with adjustable straps...use them on my BMW

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The pain in your leg/butt sounds a lot like it actually could be sciatica. If that is the case it may originate in your back instead of in the piriformis muscle of the butt, where the very similar malady of piriformis syndrome originates. It might pay to have it checked out by a physician or physical therapist.
    I was thinking the same thing; I've had a couple friends who've complained of the same/similar symptoms over the years; both of them turned out to be sciatica.

Mondo ride to the canyon and back though! Too manly for me! LOL!

2018 F3 S, BRP SS Grill, Spoiler, Attitude Bars, #1 linkage kit, Chopped R Fender, TBR S1R slip On exhaust, Elka Stage 2 R Shock, Shad saddlebags