Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Smile Some clarification on the P0127 and P0217 messages

Hello everyone,

My name is Steve and I'm with BRP customer care. I know some folks have experienced the P0127 and/or P0217 codes on their Spyders so we'd like to provide additional information on what they mean.

The P0127 code can occur when the intake air temperature exceeds a certain limit. While this is done in order to detect a possible problem with the air coming in through the intake, in some hotter areas - for example if your Spyder has been sitting in the sun in the middle of the Mojave desert for a while - it's quite possible that the initial rush of air that the engine receives upon startup is hotter than this threshold; that's what generates the code and can cause a limit on initial engine torque available. Your Spyder can still be safely driven. As you ride, the air around the sensor cools and reaches below the limit, the check engine indicator will turn OFF and full engine torque will become available. However, if your Spyder remains in limp mode and the check engine light remains on for an extended period, this could indicate another issue at which point it's advised that you have the vehicle checked by your BRP dealer.

As for the P0217 code, it can often be related to a phenomenon known as "heat soak". This occurs when the vehicle is turned off, coolant is no longer circulating, but the engine is still releasing heat (thus increasing the temperature of the coolant). An example of when this can occur this would be riding around on a very hot day and then pulling over for a 5 or 10 minute break (a realistic amount of time needed for "heat soak" to take place, without sufficient time afterwards to allow the engine to cool down). If your ECM is up to date (or if you have a 2013 or newer model), the limp mode condition the vehicle falls into when this occurs is known as a "passive" limp mode, so any temporary power reduction that takes place while this code is triggered should not be noticeable (unless the temperature continues to increase, indicating another possible issue). Otherwise, as you get back on the vehicle and continue to ride, the colder coolant coming from the radiator will start circulating throughout the engine and bring the temperature levels below the normal threshold; at this point the vehicle will return to normal operation. This situation is controlled by the ECM software as a safeguard to the vehicle. Once again, if the temperature continues to rise and the vehicle remains in limp mode (passive or full) for an extended period, this indicates a separate issue and bringing it to your BRP dealer would be the next step.

I hope this information is helpful.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for the information. I really appreciate this post. I have not personally experienced these codes but if I do I now know what to expect.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you very much!!! I also have not experienced this, but I can add it to my checklist so I don't panic IF it does occur.
    I see you are new (2 posts), so . I look forward to your insight here, and hope you don't get overwhelmed with questions!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    Thank you very much!!! I also have not experienced this, but I can add it to my checklist so I don't panic IF it does occur.
    I see you are new (2 posts), so . I look forward to your insight here, and hope you don't get overwhelmed with questions!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

It's great to hear the official word on this! There are other issues of this nature that are left to our imaginations and we'd love to continue to hear from BRP regularly on these subjects.

Also, this should be made sticky somewhere.

Spyder Garage

Thank you Steve, from BRP, for speaking up.

Without a doubt SpyderLovers is the source for all things Spyder. BRP has the right and a responsibility to stop rumors in the their tracks. Your presents here reinforces BRP's commitment to it's owners. We look forward to your knowledge, tips and hints to help us maintain and enjoy our Spyders.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And this is what I surmised in another thread heat soak issues. Glad to see an official BRP rep on the forum welcome to SL. Stick around we have some questions for you . Why does the P0217 have to set so quickly? Mine occurred twice at key turn on after a ride at the gas station after refilling the tank. Shouldn't it only occur after the engine is started with an addition 15sec to allow time , at least, for the fluid to cycle? That is my suggestion to you guys on how to fix it program wise.
    Last edited by Magdave; 07-16-2013 at 09:00 AM.

Spyder Garage

Thank you. Good to have this explained.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thank for taking the time to inform us about these codes. Hope you know about Girls on Spyders on Facebook. That is way us girls hang out.
    Last edited by ruthie; 07-16-2013 at 08:55 AM.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

This is how many of us prefer to get information about our Spyder's.

From the 'horses mouth'. So to speak.

Your input is appreciated and needed.

Come back soon.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the clarification.
    2017 F3- Limited

F4 23" Windshield, Ultimate Backrest, Spyder Cuff, SpyderPops Bump Guard, Sena SMH10 Intercom, BajaRon Sway Bar, Baker Cup Holder, RT-622 trailer w/Spyder Pops Bump Guard

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Steve thanks for putting out this information. I do live in the Mojave Desert and I often experience one or both of these codes. It seems that the temperature that triggers the P0127 code is 122 on the thermometer. I have only had limp mode with the two codes on 2 occasions and as you said it does not affect my speed. But I have never had the codes or check engine light go away when I start riding. Would this be because the temperature does not get cooler?

I am headed to my dealer now for some other issues and I will show them this info.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Hi Steve thanks for putting out this information. I do live in the Mojave Desert and I often experience one or both of these codes. It seems that the temperature that triggers the P0127 code is 122 on the thermometer. I have only had limp mode with the two codes on 2 occasions and as you said it does not affect my speed. But I have never had the codes or check engine light go away when I start riding. Would this be because the temperature does not get cooler?

I am headed to my dealer now for some other issues and I will show them this info.
    I got mine to clear by shutting it off after the fault and immediately restarting it before heat soak re occurs.

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Thank You and Welcome to the SpyderHood-Teddy & I are glad to have you here with us

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    This is how many of us prefer to get information about our Spyder's.

From the 'horses mouth'. So to speak.

Your input is appreciated and needed.

Come back soon.
    and welcome. We like horses here!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Last edited by MidLifeCrisis; 07-16-2013 at 10:26 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sweeeeeeet... BRP dropped in! Nice!

Thanks Steve

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Why does the P0217 have to set so quickly? Mine occurred twice at key turn on after a ride at the gas station after refilling the tank. Shouldn't it only occur after the engine is started with an addition 15sec to allow time , at least, for the fluid to cycle?
    Your logic is sound, Magdave - however there is always the risk, no matter how small, that a P0217 code is caused by a different issue with the cooling system. With that in mind, it's safer for the machine to generate the code immediately to protect the other components of the Spyder.
    Last edited by BRPcare; 07-16-2013 at 10:46 AM.

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you so much for posting this information. I would think that this is possibly a result of "owner input" at the owner's get together in Maggie Valley.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

While I've never experienced these codes, I'm glad to see the reasons for them posted from a knowledgeable source. It will help owners in understanding their machines all the better. So that we're not 1- thinking the machine is broken, and 2- the BRP makes a poor product. Thank you for the explanation, I'd like to see more of these.

Perhaps Lamont ought to set up a manufacturer's thread with only BRP's posts - kind of like a "factory tip of the week" that we can read through without cluttering it up with replies.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Excellent idea

Spyder Garage

Default Indeed Steve---thank you so much

I agree with others here Steve, if Lamont could set up a thread for only BRP postings it would benefit ALL owners.

I also am thankful to see you on here and to know someone from BRP is reading and hearing thoughts and issues pertaining to our units, such as boiling gasoline in the tank etc.,

It is EXCELLENT public relations and I think it will only boost BRP's report with the consumer.

Thank you so much for this information as we are in high heat now in the midwest USA and am sure this code will show up on our 2012 - the boiling gas has already. Take care!
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Good to see........

a BRP representative post on this board. I think they would need a full time person to monitor the board with all of the questions and comments that us owners have. I look forward to additional comments from BRP, though. Thank you Steve.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 54spyder View Post
    a BRP representative post on this board. I think they would need a full time person to monitor the board with all of the questions and comments that us owners have. I look forward to additional comments from BRP, though. Thank you Steve.
    GM does it on a lot of the different forums ( Like the Terrain Forum I belong to). It is becoming more commonplace and I agree a BRP rep watching the forum questions would go a long way toward making the Spyder problems be recognized and make us feel more relaxed in our ownership.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS IS A FIX FOR ...P0127 CODES

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hello everyone,

My name is Steve and I'm with BRP customer care. I know some folks have experienced the P0127 and/or P0217 codes on their Spyders so we'd like to provide additional information on what they mean.

The P0127 code can occur when the intake air temperature exceeds a certain limit. While this is done in order to detect a possible problem with the air coming in through the intake, in some hotter areas - for example if your Spyder has been sitting in the sun in the middle of the Mojave desert for a while - it's quite possible that the initial rush of air that the engine receives upon startup is hotter than this threshold; that's what generates the code and can cause a limit on initial engine torque available. Your Spyder can still be safely driven. As you ride, the air around the sensor cools and reaches below the limit, the check engine indicator will turn OFF and full engine torque will become available. However, if your Spyder remains in limp mode and the check engine light remains on for an extended period, this could indicate another issue at which point it's advised that you have the vehicle checked by your BRP dealer.

As for the P0217 code, it can often be related to a phenomenon known as "heat soak". This occurs when the vehicle is turned off, coolant is no longer circulating, but the engine is still releasing heat (thus increasing the temperature of the coolant). An example of when this can occur this would be riding around on a very hot day and then pulling over for a 5 or 10 minute break (a realistic amount of time needed for "heat soak" to take place, without sufficient time afterwards to allow the engine to cool down). If your ECM is up to date (or if you have a 2013 or newer model), the limp mode condition the vehicle falls into when this occurs is known as a "passive" limp mode, so any temporary power reduction that takes place while this code is triggered should not be noticeable (unless the temperature continues to increase, indicating another possible issue). Otherwise, as you get back on the vehicle and continue to ride, the colder coolant coming from the radiator will start circulating throughout the engine and bring the temperature levels below the normal threshold; at this point the vehicle will return to normal operation. This situation is controlled by the ECM software as a safeguard to the vehicle. Once again, if the temperature continues to rise and the vehicle remains in limp mode (passive or full) for an extended period, this indicates a separate issue and bringing it to your BRP dealer would be the next step.

I hope this information is helpful.
    If you look in the MODS FORUM under " COLD AIR INTAKE ", I can pretty much garantee that you never get the P0127 code if you put this on your 2008 to 2012 GS / RS/ RSS spyder .....I'm sure it will work on the RT's also but I didn't build one for that........Mike....

Spyder Garage

Great to have a BRP representative on the forum