Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: half helmets

Spyder Garage

Default half helmets

With the summer heat arriving in Michigan my wife and I are looking at getting half helmets. We currently have 3/4 helmets with a shade shield and clear shield. Does anyone have any recommendations for good half helmets. Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think most people will say that there is no such thing as a good half helmet. A good modular helmet or full face with good ventilation will actually keep you cooler. Make sure you get one in a light color
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I think most people will say that there is no such thing as a good half helmet. A good modular helmet or full face with good ventilation will actually keep you cooler. Make sure you get one in a light color

Agree completely. Returned my half helmet. Too noisy. Bugs hit face.Have HJC 3/4 now.

Spyder Garage

For the past sixty years I have always ridden with half helmets that feature zip around collars for cold weather.

My favorite is the Fulmer half helmet although my wife prefers the Scorpion.

We use SPH10R Sena headsets that are designed for use with half helmets.

I find full face too restrictive and to me a 3/4 helmet offers no more protection than a quality half helmet.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Registered Users EnjoyingTheRyde's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Got to try them on...

Considering I don't like helmets all that much, I have a half helmet I like ok. It's actually a HD helmet. The thing with helmets is I have to try them on, if they're not comfortable, forget it. Every helmet model is different and everybody's head is different. Good luck with your search...
    His: 2012 HD Tri Glide Ember Red/Merlot
    Hers: 2012 Can Am Spyder
    RT-S Quantum Blue Metallic

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rhansen309 View Post
    With the summer heat arriving in Michigan my wife and I are looking at getting half helmets. We currently have 3/4 helmets with a shade shield and clear shield. Does anyone have any recommendations for good half helmets. Thanks.
    The first time a vehicle in front kicks up a piece of gravel and it hits you in the face you'll go back to a helmet with a face shield. [been there been hit ]

Spyder Garage

got both half and 3/4, but wear the 3/4 about 90% of the time. hate getting hit by yellow jackets and wasps at 75 mph. those things hurt. call me a whimp, I can take it!!! not to mention those dang cicada bugs. there the size of a hummingbird.

Spyder Garage

I've got the Scorpion half helmet with drop down shield and really like it. Also have a Bell 3/4 Sena and like that also. These past few Michigan days have been a tad warm and the Bell makes my ears sweat so the Scorpion has been getting a lot of use lately.
    Good luck with your hunt.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer.

Spyder Garage

Default Modular here..!!

have to agree between the bugs and the heat found these to work the best for me!! HJC middle of the road helmet vented and much cooler than open when in the 100's...best is to try your choice of helmet at a super store where the selection is large to find what works for you. Not all heads are alike, one mans comfort maybe another mans pain... Good hunting..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by EnjoyingTheRyde View Post
    Considering I don't like helmets all that much, I have a half helmet I like ok. It's actually a HD helmet. The thing with helmets is I have to try them on, if they're not comfortable, forget it. Every helmet model is different and everybody's head is different. Good luck with your search...
    Amen to that I bought a half helmet of good quality and price. Found a better fit on a cheaper model. I try them on for fit a few different times then i decide.

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I too have the Scorpion half helmet with drop down shield and really like it. I wear it in hot weather.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Has anyone tried the Can-Am GT2 helmets?

Spyder Garage

I too have a Scorpion EXO-100 which is what I wear mostly in hot weather. I like having the option to lower the drop down shield when needed. I also have the HJC 3/4 and the Scorpion EXO-900 Transformer helmet. I like the versatility of the EXO-900 but it feels a little heavy. I love the HJC 3/4 for cooler weather. I use a SENA SMH10 comm unit and installed the SENA Sena SMH-A0301 Helmet Boom Microphone Clamp Kit on all three helmets.

Spyder Garage

Has anyone had experience with MOMO helmets? I see them in Europe all the time, but almost never in US.

2012 RS SE - White. Sport rack with Backrest, ISCI Armrests, Two Brothers Exhaust

Spyder Garage

Vega XTS, half helmet with "snap on" shield.

Chris

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Cool Half Helmets

In my opinion....you know about opinions....every one has one, a good ole half helmet
    is just that it will protect 1/2 your head how much is the other half worth ? yes they may be cooler but you have little or no protection if you get into a crash. ALSO they are not allowed in some states.
    Just my opinion
    Dave

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Fulmer Half-5R

My wife & I both are riding with the Fulmer -5R half helmets. They fit securely and do not move going at 70 plus MPH. We both have clear and tinted shields that snap on as needed. My wife also has a full helmet w/faceshield, but the Houston temps have made it way too hot for her to wear so we went this past weekend and got her the Fulmer.

Ben

Spyder Garage

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...FUui4Aod2UAApw

I will wear this AGV Blade FX (New Model August 2012) in the 95 degree heat today-It has a 3/4 shield -Ratcheting chin strap thats the tigthest of any of my helmets and is Higher in back than the 3/4 .

The FX is produced in 2012- The older model (I sold an old one) are produced in 2008 or 2009- DON,T want to buy a 4-5 year old helmet!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I like the Scorpion 1/2 as well - the tinted drop shield helps when the weather turns grim too. Helmets are, unfortunately, required out here on the Left Coast. Personally, I don't consider the Spyder to be any more dangerous than my BMW Z3...

I find the Scorpion to be fine for all my bikes, except the V-rod, then I use an old 3/4 hat, with a shield.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Bell pit boss

I have the Scorpion half helmet with drop down shield also. Loved it until I found a Bell Pit boss graphite.
    Fits great and really really light! Did I say Light!
    Fell in love with it and hardly use the Scorpion anymore. It also has the drop down eye protector.

Spyder Garage

I have a Scorpion 1/2 that I like but don't wear much usually wind up with my Gmax 3/4. I have a problem with dry eye and have yet to find a set of goggles that fit comfortably over my prescription glasses. I'm looking for a set of goggles that will seal good and that can have prescription lens installed. Any suggestions there?

Ride safe,
    Curt Givens KC8STE
    Dayton, OH - Home of Hamvention
    MOLON LABE
    2012 Viper Red RT-S
    Center tail/brake light
    Mud flap run/ts
    Fender bright sides
    LED Tip lights
    Rivco Flag holder on trunk
    BRP Hitch
    Piggybacker XL Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Half helmet

The best Helmet is the one You wear.

Spyder Garage

Default Goggles

CurtG

Wileyx they make some great glasses and goggles

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CurtG View Post
    I have a Scorpion 1/2 that I like but don't wear much usually wind up with my Gmax 3/4. I have a problem with dry eye and have yet to find a set of goggles that fit comfortably over my prescription glasses. I'm looking for a set of goggles that will seal good and that can have prescription lens installed. Any suggestions there?

Ride safe,
    I got prescription goggles at Wal-Mart.

Registered Users Orange monster's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

In my Harley days a half helmet is all I ever wore, but since getting the spider and my Vega VCOM helmet I wear it all the time. And in Texas it is regularly over 100 degrees.
    2013 RSS
    Grip Puppies, Calsci Tinted Shorty windshield, Garage remote mod