Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Here we go again

Picked up my Spyder from the dealer on Friday afternoon it was in for new shocks and to replace the parking brake cable. It was cool (90) and had rained when I picked it up not our usual 110 weather. I rode the 15 miles home and left it parked in the driveway for an hour or so. When I went to put it in the garage it started but as soon as I went to twist the throttle it would quit. It did this a couple of times then I was able to get it in the garage.

On Saturday I started it up and backed out of the garage and put it neutral with the brake on while I went back in the house to set the alarm. I came out and the bike had stalled. It did this one more time on Saturday. It also was running rough and the idle would fluctuate between 1200 and 1400 and a few times it went up to 1700 rpm. I rode to breakfast on Sunday and it ran rough but did not stall.

Today I had a few stops to make and when I went to start it back up while the engine was still warm it took three times to get it to turnover and start. Then when I went to give it throttle it died on me. It did this each time I went to start it after that and at one point it had 3 codes. P0127 which appeared when the temp showed 129 in a parking lot. Then I got p1136 and P1175 which relate to the O2 sensor and the fuel injection system.

Of course these things always happen on the weekend or Monday when the dealer is closed. I will be waiting for them to open the doors tomorrow and I really hope that they can get it fixed tomorrow. I'm leaving for Idaho and Montana on Thursday.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Sounds like a wire might have not been reconnected after the service ...
    Bill
    Pride Runs Deep Semper Tacitus

An armed man is a Citizen; an unarmed man is a subject....

2017 F3 T SE6
    2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS
    ALR Chapter 401 (Hilliard FL)
    GA & FL Patriot Guard

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I really hope that they can get it fixed tomorrow. I'm leaving for Idaho and Montana on Thursday.
    You have to catch a break eventually don't you? Fingers crossed..............
    2011 RTS SM5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Picked up my Spyder from the dealer on Friday afternoon it was in for new shocks and to replace the parking brake cable. It was cool (90) and had rained when I picked it up not our usual 110 weather. I rode the 15 miles home and left it parked in the driveway for an hour or so. When I went to put it in the garage it started but as soon as I went to twist the throttle it would quit. It did this a couple of times then I was able to get it in the garage.

On Saturday I started it up and backed out of the garage and put it neutral with the brake on while I went back in the house to set the alarm. I came out and the bike had stalled. It did this one more time on Saturday. It also was running rough and the idle would fluctuate between 1200 and 1400 and a few times it went up to 1700 rpm. I rode to breakfast on Sunday and it ran rough but did not stall.

Today I had a few stops to make and when I went to start it back up while the engine was still warm it took three times to get it to turnover and start. Then when I went to give it throttle it died on me. It did this each time I went to start it after that and at one point it had 3 codes. P0127 which appeared when the temp showed 129 in a parking lot. Then I got p1136 and P1175 which relate to the O2 sensor and the fuel injection system.

Of course these things always happen on the weekend or Monday when the dealer is closed. I will be waiting for them to open the doors tomorrow and I really hope that they can get it fixed tomorrow. I'm leaving for Idaho and Montana on Thursday.
    That Stinks...it sounds to me like a tank of bad gas. But I'm sure someone else will have a better idea to help out

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    That Stinks...it sounds to me like a tank of bad gas. But I'm sure someone else will have a better idea to help out
    I thought that at first but I filled it up at Shell right before I dropped it off and I put 120 miles on it since I picked it up. I filled it again today at a different station and I'm still having the same issues.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

as redundant as it may seem, check your battery terminals (don't just wiggle them, back them loose and re tighten them) check all your fuses and relays. Check ground cables as well. Could add a shot of sea foam or similar to the gas. It works for me..good luck...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought that at first but I filled it up at Shell right before I dropped it off and I put 120 miles on it since I picked it up. I filled it again today at a different station and I'm still having the same issues.
    My old spyder would Stall random sometimes first thing in the morning when 1st started & happened a couple times sitting at a light with slight incline also would have backfire on decl so found out about & I started using Star-tron enzyme treatment bought from amazon.com & didn't have anymore issues. no Stalling so far with my new Spyder....KNOCK ON Wood! 1 OZ. every couple tank fill-ups
    Last edited by happyspyder2039; 07-15-2013 at 08:18 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'd also check the vacuum hoses as well. Had to have mine replaced this summer.

Spyder Garage

Wow--Again! I sent you a PM.

Really hoping that the issues on your new will be resolved very quickly.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

So sorry to hear this. They need to get serious about this. It is time to go through or replace the entire EFI system, including the ECM and possibly the throttle body. The ignition system may need hep, too. I think they should also check valve clearances...or at least the compression, based on the hard starting. Have they contacted BRP dealer tech support? Sounds like they could use a few more brains thinking things over. If you haven't already, I'd open a case file with BRP. At times like this Carlo is really missed!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

wow...this is not good...hope they find a fix....mine has had pipes wrapped, heat shield on gas tank, brake cylinder, brake cable, and a flash on the ECM...mine had white spark plugs...running lean.....now after 650 miles things seem to be better with gas cap too hot to touch, OK...extreme heat in handlebar area gone, heat near seat, gone...less heat near foot area...engine running smoother...but I'll put another 1000 miles on it...take it back to PitBull and see what things look like under the panels...good luck

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I do have a case # at BRP but that started out being about the handling and the new shocks seemed to have fixed that problem. I guess that the BRP tech at Maggie Valley started a case for the melted parking brake cable. I'm really hoping that these latest problems can be easily fixed like maybe they bumped something important while working on the brake last week. I don't think it is heat related this time as it was really cool the first time it acted up on Friday and it was also pretty cool yesterday morning. (Cool being a relative term. It was high 80s on Friday and around 90 yesterday)

I read about Fred Rau's stator going out on his 2013 this week and I will say that when I tried to start my bike today it sounded like my 2010 did when the stator went out on that. Keep your fingers crossed for me that that isn't the problem. I don't think there is any way they could get one of those here and installed before I leave on Thursday morning.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post
    You have to catch a break eventually don't you? Fingers crossed..............
    Good Luck with your trip to the Dealer.

You are overdue for some good luck! Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was waiting at the dealership when they opened this morning and the service writer agreed that it sounded like it was running bad. He said "can I have it for the morning?" I called late this afternoon to see what they had found and he said that they hadn't even looked at it. They closed about half an hour ago and he didn't call so I'm starting to feel pretty sick about my trip on Thursday.

Unfortunately its not one of those trips where you can just leave a day or two later. We are going to the American Legion Riders Western Romp in Pocatello, ID and the event is Thursday through Saturday.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Luck

Wow , it sounds like if it wasn't for terrible luck you wouldn't have any luck at all. I have to admit that you have more guts than me for having all those problems and then jumping on and heading off into the sunset. Sure hope the get it fixed pronto and correctly.

Spyder Garage

Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yazz View Post
    Chupaca might be on to something though... have them run through the elcectricals, ground points, and battery connections...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Unhappy

Bummer!

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

"He said "can I have it for the morning?"

Did he say which morning he meant?
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    "He said "can I have it for the morning?"

Did he say which morning he meant?
    Exactly. I'm sitting here this morning wondering if I will be going on vacation tomorrow or not.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

I would call them back and ask for a loaner until they have yours ready if your gone than they will have to waite until morning to get it back from you.
    Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mcaccamise View Post
    I would call them back and ask for a loaner until they have yours ready if your gone than they will have to waite until morning to get it back from you.
    Mike
    Unfortunately they don't do loaners.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Exactly. I'm sitting here this morning wondering if I will be going on vacation tomorrow or not.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unfortunately they don't do loaners.
    You might want to strongly suggest that they do so...
    If they knew that you were hoping to have the RT back for your vacation, and then just sat upon it without doing any work...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I was waiting at the dealership when they opened this morning and the service writer agreed that it sounded like it was running bad. He said "can I have it for the morning?" I called late this afternoon to see what they had found and he said that they hadn't even looked at it. They closed about half an hour ago and he didn't call so I'm starting to feel pretty sick about my trip on Thursday.

Unfortunately its not one of those trips where you can just leave a day or two later. We are going to the American Legion Riders Western Romp in Pocatello, ID and the event is Thursday through Saturday.
    So sorry that the dealer is putting you through all this. To make promises, then put you off and not even look at the is just so wrong. Were they aware of the timeline about your vacation leave date?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red