Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RT-S Driver Backrest question.

First want to say what a great site this is!!!! Considering putting Utopia aftermarket Driver backrest on my 2012 RT-S. However, Have had 3 unsuccessful lower back surgeries. After 50+ 2 wheel years ,it has become difficult to throw my leg over the seat of a 2 wheeler-thus the purchase of my Spyder. Question is I'm wondering is how much harder will it become to mount the Spyder with a backrest in place. Hoping some of you who have already made this modification can help. Thanks, BillF

Spyder Garage

Default RT-S Driver Backrest answer.

Bill,

Not to worry. The Utopia backrest folds down on the drivers seat so you can mount as if there was no backrest. You'll be fine.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE UTOPIA......

It's not a problem,,,,,,they fold flat if you want, then you raise it upright after your leg is over........Mike ...........And it really makes a difference in the comfort level.......I have put one on my GS, and Utopia says you have to remove the seat cover to do it....so of course I didn't ....I made it work fine by doing it very similar to the way you do the RT..........
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 07-14-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have one and love it, no harder to swing your leg over. I highly recommend the removable option. I had the fix option, then added the removable bar. When solo or with one of my kids I have the back rest in. I remove it with the wife on the back to give her extra room.

harry
    "Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus"
    My Rides;
    Nimbus 2000, Ford Anglia, 2012 Spyder RT Limited, Pre 14 Vintage Classic Collectors Edition!

Favorite Ride;
    Nimbus 2000 boy this thing can fly.

Mods:
    Charm of invisibility, Reparo Charm (cuts down on service cost)

One always wonders about roads not taken.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Utopia Seatback

I've had 2 very major back surgeries, 2 smaller ones and just got over a shoulder rebuild.
    If I didn't have the Utopia, I'd be unable to ride more than a hour total a day. But, for $250, a few minutes work and many happy years of Spydering, do it. The Utopia is recessed in the middle about 1.5 inches. Guess where the top of the sheet metal work is in my back - right in the middle of that life saving depression. I have a big bump of metal and ? that can't rest against anything without becoming unbearable. The Spyder seat is the most comfortable chair in the house, well OK, best in the garage. I can ride all day, headed to JAX and a funeral service in a few minutes, 375 miles, and I couldn't do it without that Utopia. Mounting is not a problem, I normally leave it straight up and just step on the aft left pax board and mount up just like The Duke use to on his trusty steed.
    Do it, you'll never look back at it as a bad decision. I also have the Utopia on my 1984 Magna and 1986 Helix scooter.Only way to go.

Tuck

Spyder Garage

with all of the above.............you won't be sorry that you have added the Utopia backrest!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

with all of the above plus you won't find a better guy to deal with. I somehow broke one of the bolts that hold the backrest to the seat and my E-mail about size was answered almost immediately. Best investment in comfort that I've made...

Spyder Garage

I got a Utopia before going to the owners event. Much more comfortable on the back. The "quick out option" is a must if you ever ride two up. I've said this before, as many Spyder owners have Utopia, I'm surprised they've never become a sponsor. I've only heard praises from anyone that has one.

Spyder Garage

HAd a Utopia on my now-gone RS and want to put one on my RT. Quick question: can it be installed on the seat without removing the seat? Thanks.
    David Horn, Kerrville, TX
    Fulltime RVer
    2014 Phaeton 40ft motorhome w/TandemTow trailer
    2014 Mazda CX5 (Soul Red)
    Ringo, the travelin' canine (just black and tan)

Spyder Garage

You have to remove the seat.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I have a Corbin w/backrest. I have to step up on the floorboards, but otherwise, it's not an issue.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member