Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Very New Novice Spyder RT Limited Rider

Hello to all. Just to let you know that I am a 62 year old woman and a brand new rider of a 2013 Spyder RT Limited. Went to check out the bike since I passed a dealer on the way when taking my daughter to the doctor's office. The first bike I sat on was a Limited and fell instantly in love......,.keeping in mind that I have never, ever driven a motorcycle in my entire life; didn't even have a license to drive one. Took me 4 days to decide that I really wanted the bike; the salesman said that he would teach me to ride the bike - I was able to ride around the parking lot with the salesman with me - did not get it out of first gear and nor more than 11MPH; still did not have a license when I bought it - the salesman had to drive it to my house and I took him back to the shop in my car. Bike was parked in the garage until I got my TIPIC. Decided to go to the State Basic Rider's Course but could not get a location that was close to home and not 4-6 months out as I wanted to ride ASAP. There is a very large bike shop about 14 miles from the house that offered the course but at a higher rate than the state but my hubby said he would pay for it. I told the instructors that I have never driven a bike 2 or 3 wheeler before and was sure to have trouble shifting gears and clutch and sure enough I did...I drove their bike, I think it was a Yamaha VStar 250; I decided that I did not like a two wheeler after I squeaked by on the course. Have gotten my endorsement three days after I completed the course and am now riding on congested roads but having difficulty gaining speeds up above 45 MPH; have not gotten on the interstate yet as I am still learning the bike and my limits. The higher speeds that I attempt feels like the bike is going to run off the road (I know its not) and then the ignorant drivers out there that want to show that they are dominant (an 18 wheeler road my butt this afternoon and scared the crap out of me. So if I ask questions of you all please be gentle on me as I am still learning and any and all hints, suggestions and tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Spyder Garage

and on the new ryde. It takes about 500 to 1000 miles to get comfortable with the . I recommend some more practice in a parking lot type environment, then some additional riding on roads at less than 50's. Then, when you are feeling more confident, its time for the highway and beyond. Overcontrolling can lead to the feeling like it has a mind of its own, SOMETIMES. If it continues to happen, it could be set up, balljoint, or alignment issues, all of which a good dealer is/should be aware of.

Please keep us informed and don't hesitate to ask questions.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Welcome Pam, and there are thousands of SpyderLovers on this site willing to help. If you haven't read the do's and Don'ts thread on this forum, that would be a great place to start. Keep riding and you will be a pro in no time!
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Do's and Dont's

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    Welcome Pam, and there are thousands of SpyderLovers on this site willing to help. If you haven't read the do's and Don'ts thread on this forum, that would be a great place to start. Keep riding and you will be a pro in no time!
    Howdy all. I am Pam's husband we went over the do's and dont's thread last night. It was very informative. I keep telling Pam to RTFM, and now maybe she will.

The Spyder is her baby. I'm a two wheeler myself (please don't hold that against me). I really like her Spyder. I've driven it and have been a passenger with her driving it. I gotta say, as a novice ryder she is doing well. She has a tendency to try to over grip the handlebars, but we are working on that as a team.

I did the same thing the 1st time I drove it, and it causes some disconcerting control issues. She still gets a tad nervous at speeds over 45mph, but her improvement over the past couple of weeks has been dramatic.

I'm very proud of her.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like your spirit Pam...

Read your manual. There is a section about riding skills. Take your Spyder to a large/empty parking lot and setup the tracks as they show and then practice.

A busy road/highway is not a place anyone would encourage you to practice. As you stated, other people are not going to be patient, and you can put yourself and others in danger by doing so.

Lastly, read the link in my signature. It is a collection of various advice (updated regularly) gathered from this site that might be helpful.

Ride often, safe, and alert. Have fun!

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Pam, congrats on your purchase. Just like everything else practice, practice. Was a little nervous on my first ride back in October, 2012. But after relaxing behind the controls it really got easier. Just returned from my longest trip, went to Minnesota from Cincinnati, oh. Just a great ride. I'm no spring chicken, 59. So keep after it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post

Read your manual. There is a section about riding skills. Take your Spyder to a large/empty parking lot and setup the tracks as they show and then practice.

A busy road/highway is not a place anyone would encourage you to practice. As you stated, other people are not going to be patient, and you can put yourself and others in danger by doing so.

Lastly, read the link in my signature. It is a collection of various advice (updated regularly) gathered from this site that might be helpful.

Thanks for the do's and don't's... I have copied them to a word doc so I can review a little better and often.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WARWAGON View Post
    Pam, congrats on your purchase. Just like everything else practice, practice. Was a little nervous on my first ride back in October, 2012. But after relaxing behind the controls it really got easier. Just returned from my longest trip, went to Minnesota from Cincinnati, oh. Just a great ride. I'm no spring chicken, 59. So keep after it.
    Pam and I have been trying to find some Spyder riding groups that she can go on trips with. Are you aware of any in central/southern Ohio?

We really want her to be able to maximize her riding experience on the new Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Really liking the bike but still have a long ways to go. We went on a short trip today (about 25 miles) and tried out the cruise control. I felt like I had lost control of the bike so that will take some getting used to. I will continue to get out and practice more.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PamT View Post
    Hello to all. Just to let you know that I am a 62 year old woman and a brand new rider of a 2013 Spyder RT Limited. Went to check out the bike since I passed a dealer on the way when taking my daughter to the doctor's office. The first bike I sat on was a Limited and fell instantly in love......,.keeping in mind that I have never, ever driven a motorcycle in my entire life; didn't even have a license to drive one. Took me 4 days to decide that I really wanted the bike; the salesman said that he would teach me to ride the bike - I was able to ride around the parking lot with the salesman with me - did not get it out of first gear and nor more than 11MPH; still did not have a license when I bought it - the salesman had to drive it to my house and I took him back to the shop in my car. Bike was parked in the garage until I got my TIPIC. Decided to go to the State Basic Rider's Course but could not get a location that was close to home and not 4-6 months out as I wanted to ride ASAP. There is a very large bike shop about 14 miles from the house that offered the course but at a higher rate than the state but my hubby said he would pay for it. I told the instructors that I have never driven a bike 2 or 3 wheeler before and was sure to have trouble shifting gears and clutch and sure enough I did...I drove their bike, I think it was a Yamaha VStar 250; I decided that I did not like a two wheeler after I squeaked by on the course. Have gotten my endorsement three days after I completed the course and am now riding on congested roads but having difficulty gaining speeds up above 45 MPH; have not gotten on the interstate yet as I am still learning the bike and my limits. The higher speeds that I attempt feels like the bike is going to run off the road (I know its not) and then the ignorant drivers out there that want to show that they are dominant (an 18 wheeler road my butt this afternoon and scared the crap out of me. So if I ask questions of you all please be gentle on me as I am still learning and any and all hints, suggestions and tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Hi Pam, Welcome. This is a really great site. I think you will enjoy it.
    I have been riding motorcycles since 2000, but when I bought my ST Limited in the end of May I had only ridden a Spyder once. (2 hours earlier while taking a test ride) Believe me. It is very different than a two wheeled motorcycle. The more that you ride, the more comfortable you will become and the more you will want to ride. My Spyder feels so comfortable that I am now selling my Harley. ( never thought I would ) Please feel free to pm me. I love to talk "Spyder" and can understand your feelings. Jill, Western Pa

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Welcome from another Newbie

Pam - welcome to Spyderhood. I, too, am brand new to riding of any kind and I picked up a pre-owned 2010 RT in June. I'm getting more comfortable every time I ride it, but I still don't care for the interstates with all the trucks...

Hang in there. It's been a lot of fun for me!!!

Keith
    Fuelly: 35.2avg MPG
    2020 Spyder RT Limited (Petrol Metallic w/Chrome)
    1. Lamonster Mount 2.0 with Dual Power Plates
    2020 RTL , Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post

Pam and I did take her Spyder to a large parking lot at a local movie theater to practice the basics. She did fairly well with them. But she needed to get out on the road to get used to speeds above what can be experienced in a parking lot.

Pam (love ya honey) overstated the congested roads part a tad. I've been out riding with her on back roads with limited traffic for the most part for the past couple of weekends.

I will now step back and let Pam talk to other Spyder Riders.

I am deeply thankful for the warm welcome that you folks have given her.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rich_t View Post
    Pam and I have been trying to find some Spyder riding groups that she can go on trips with. Are you aware of any in central/southern Ohio?

We really want her to be able to maximize her riding experience on the new Spyder.
    Check out ohiospyderryders list members by regions. http://ohiospyderryders.org/forum/index.php

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome Pam and Rich. You are doing fine and in no time will be hitting the highway and feeling comfortable. Ohio has a really great group of riders and you can check out the Ohio Forum here and I think you will find a link to their website. Also, Pam you should check out Girls on Spyders on Facebook. It is a private group but if you send a request to join you will be added to the group.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome, Pam and Rich! And , Pam on your new Spyder!

Just take your time and keep practicing. Like you'll surely read in the do's and don'ts - relax your grip and don't overcontrol. You'll get better and better as you learn.

And, mostly . . . . HAVE FUN!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Welcome, Pam and Rich! And , Pam on your new Spyder!

Just take your time and keep practicing. Like you'll surely read in the do's and don'ts - relax your grip and don't overcontrol. You'll get better and better as you learn.

And, mostly . . . . HAVE FUN!
    I will do just that.......thanks

Spyder Garage

Great choice, Pam . . . I have a 2013 RT Limited, too, and I love it. Its been many years since I rode a two wheeler, and I thought my riding days were over. My wife told me to go ahead and get the Spyder for my 65th birthday, and I am loving it more, every mile I ride. Be safe but have fun!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Pam & Rich! It'll take a while for you to gain confidence in a completely new experience such as this... It'll come; just take it slow and easy, and don't put yourself out into tougher situations than you want right yet.
    Rich,
    What kind of two-wheeler are you riding? )We like them too; even though we sometimes call them 'tipovers'...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check out ohiospyderryders list members by regions. http://ohiospyderryders.org/forum/index.php
    Thanks.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi Pam & Rich! It'll take a while for you to gain confidence in a completely new experience such as this... It'll come; just take it slow and easy, and don't put yourself out into tougher situations than you want right yet.
    Rich,
    What kind of two-wheeler are you riding? )We like them too; even though we sometimes call them 'tipovers'...)
    I have a 2013 Suzuki C50T Boulevard with white wall tires.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    Great choice, Pam . . . I have a 2013 RT Limited, too, and I love it. Its been many years since I rode a two wheeler, and I thought my riding days were over. My wife told me to go ahead and get the Spyder for my 65th birthday, and I am loving it more, every mile I ride. Be safe but have fun!
    I see that you retired from the USAF; I retired from the Army in 2000 and the federal govt this past December and loving every minute.

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome from Girls on Spyders

So glad you're here and that you're riding! If you're also on Facebook, we have a great group of women in a closed group (just us gals) and we'd love to have you join us. https://www.facebook.com/groups/girlsonspyders/

Just click the link and ask to join and an Admin can approve you. We have celebrated with women of every age at every stage of learning to master their Spyders. We love this machine and know you will too!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Rich,
    Your bike looks really nice Bob. The only thing that I want to do to my bike is to add an LED flag light. Saw one on a bike when I went up to the shop and it was really cool. Will definitely have to save up my nickels and dimes to buy goodies.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi again, Pam & Rich!
    Just so you know; we stopped over in Columbus this past April while on our way to SpyderFest.
    We stayed at a Red Roof Inn kind out out near 70.
    SpyderFest...
    THAT's a party that you just can't miss in 2014!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PamT View Post
    Your bike looks really nice Bob. The only thing that I want to do to my bike is to add an LED flag light. Saw one on a bike when I went up to the shop and it was really cool. Will definitely have to save up my nickels and dimes to buy goodies.
    We call the goodies "farkles" and you will need some $ to farkle your ryde. Like Bob D. said, you need to come to Spyderfest next spring in southern Missouri. There will be lots of vendors there and you'll be amazed at the farkling possibilities.

I don't have much money to spend on my RTS, but I love shopping for other folks. You'll get plenty of opinions here about what to buy. And check out the Spyderlovers vendors for lots of ideas.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)