Spyder Garage

Default Should I do electrical mods?

Hi all. I know many if you are mod-minded. I feel the urge. I would like to make my RT as visible as possible. So here is my question:

1) will adding electrical mods create other problems with the electronics? I have come across stories of other problems cropping up.

2) will us void the warrantee?

3) how can I learn how to add lights and power outlets? Are there any how-to's on youtube for beginners like me?

Thanks!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyvermont View Post
    Hi all. I know many if you are mod-minded. I feel the urge. I would like to make my RT as visible as possible. So here is my question:

1) will adding electrical mods create other problems with the electronics? I have come across stories of other problems cropping up.

3) how can I learn how to add lights and power outlets? Are there any how-to's on youtube for beginners like me?

Thanks!!!
    1) Most likely 2) Probably not 3) There is a thread on here that shows how to add a relay isolated accessory power strip. It seems to be the best way to add additional electrical stuff without getting into trouble.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyvermont View Post
    Not if you do it correctly. Like any mod proper planning and proper methods are essential.

Almost everyone does mods so if BRP wanted to be difficult about it they could void almost everyone's warranty. Unless you do something that directly and obviously causes a warranty issue I wouldn't worry about it.

Learning proper electrical wiring techniques takes some experience and skill but no one achieves such skill by avoiding a challenge. It's not difficult to learn the basics. I suggest that you post exactly what you want to do here. We will help you.

Spyder Garage

As was said, electrical work takes some skill and knowledge. Everbody has to start somewhere, though. I'd suggest you start with something simple and straightforward. The Custom Dynamics/ESI Mudflap Lights would be a good example. Fairly simple, good instructions, and a great, functional look when completed. The CD/ESI HMT high brakelight is a little more involved and trickier, but it is also a good way to go. These types of complete kits are a good introduction to lightling/wiring projects. As your knowledge and skills increase, you can stretch to something more complex, like LED strips or highlights and an auxiliary fuse block. TricLED, and Custom Dynamics are among the sponsors that can provide good materials and help with some technical advice.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Thank you for your advice! I think I might try the med flap mod.

Spyder Garage

Default There you go...!!

fast and to the point. Follow all the above and you will be fine. Take your time test things before closing and enjoy..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black