GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default other oil brands used other then BRP

When on the road, need to add oil and no Snyder dealer near. What brand of oil do you use?

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

I always carry an extra qt. on long runs. I use Amsoil.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    This is the best idea. Carry a quart of whatever you use when traveling.

But mixing oils these days isn't the crime it was many years ago. As long as the oil meets BRP specs then you are good to go. If you're using a true synthetic like Amsoil (not doctored mineral oil) you can still add one of the so called 'Synthetic' oils or a 'Blended' oil and you'll be fine. It will degrade your Amsoil but it will still be well within BRP's recommended specs.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

is that 10w 40 amsoil y'all using

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Spyder Garage

Yes. 10W 40 is the AMSOIL you want to use Product Code MCF. If you are interested in buying AMSOIL wholesale, I can fix you up with a 6 month AMSOIL Preferred Customer Membership to see if you like it. Let me know..

Spyder Garage

Tell me more about this mbrship. Where can I get amsoil in Meridian, Ms?

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default AMSOL PCM

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Dog6 View Post
    Yes. 10W 40 is the AMSOIL you want to use Product Code MCF. If you are interested in buying AMSOIL wholesale, I can fix you up with a 6 month AMSOIL Preferred Customer Membership to see if you like it. Let me know..
    Yes,Info please! Thanks.

Spyder Garage

Default How to buy AMSOIL.

For those of you that are not familiar with AMSOIL let me explain how it works. Basically there are three ways to purchase the product.

1.You can buy it from a store or a Dealer and pay retail prices.

2. You can become an AMSOIL "Preferred Customer by paying a $10.00 Membership fee for a 6 month membership which will allow you to purchase all the AMSOIL products wholesale. At the end of the 6 months, if you wish to continue your membership, it is $20.00 a year. Under this program, all products are shipped from the nearest warehouse, to your location, directly to your front door.

For Spyder Lovers Members I am offering you a FREE six month Trial Membership. To take advantage of my offer, click on my banner here or on the home page. Once at my site, click on the Flashing Trial Membership Banner, fill out and submit the form and i will do the rest.

NOTE: The membership I am offering you, at no charge, costs me $10.00. I ask, If you are not interested in using the finest Synthetic Lubricant Money can buy, then please do not apply.

Thanks to all that have taken advantage of my offer. Your Spyder will Love you for it..

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

liquimoly.jpgCarry a quart of whatever you normally run. But if you didn't, any WalMart will have Shell Rotella in quarts, as well as Valvoline motorcycle oil. Rotella is a 5w40 synthetic, does carry the JASO MA cert, and is a very stout slack wax based oil. The auto chains like AutoZone, Advance, PepBoys, and O'Reilley will have some type of MC specific oil, if that floats your boat because of warranty or personal preference.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beanoil View Post
    liquimoly.jpgCarry a quart of whatever you normally run. But if you didn't, any WalMart will have Shell Rotella in quarts, as well as Valvoline motorcycle oil. Rotella is a 5w40 synthetic, does carry the JASO MA cert, and is a very stout slack wax based oil. The auto chains like AutoZone, Advance, PepBoys, and O'Reilley will have some type of MC specific oil, if that floats your boat because of warranty or personal preference.
    It is very likely that you're going to get clutch slippage with Rotella (great oil, I agree, just not for the Spyder). Anything that is not JASO MA2 rated is likely to give you clutch slippage. There is a range within the MA rating and same with the MA2 rating. If the oil is at the top of the MA1 rating (usually listed as simply MA) it may be ok, it may not. You don't know till you try it because it's hard to find out where on the MA1 scale that particular oil falls. But even oils at the bottom of the MA2 scale will keep your clutch happy.

Amsoil is rated high on the MA2 scale.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I use Castrol Synthetic with the Jaso MA2
    RS Power Racing 4T 10W40 You can get it at Advance Auto Parts.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 07-14-2013 at 05:50 AM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Valvoline 4T 10w-40 full synthetic motorcycle specific oil made for wet clutch motorcycles like our Spyders. I use this full time in my RT and don't carry any, even on long tours because: 1) My Spyder doesn't consume any significant amount of oil and 2) If I should happen to need it, this oil in widely available, such as at Walmart and most of the chain automobile parts stores, and the price is reasonable and competitive, although certainly not cheap.

This is a very advanced motor oil made specifically for our type of machines by a long time leader in lubricant manufacture with a high reputation for excellent products. Other oils may be just as good but I doubt if any are better, IMHO.

Mike
    Idaho
    www.rtwrider.net

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    It is very likely that you're going to get clutch slippage with Rotella (great oil, I agree, just not for the Spyder). Anything that is not JASO MA2 rated is likely to give you clutch slippage. There is a range within the MA rating and same with the MA2 rating. If the oil is at the top of the MA1 rating (usually listed as simply MA) it may be ok, it may not. You don't know till you try it because it's hard to find out where on the MA1 scale that particular oil falls. But even oils at the bottom of the MA2 scale will keep your clutch happy.

FWIW, Mobil1 is rated only as MA. I mention this for those of you using it who may not be aware. Doubt your machine will explode, but there are higher rated oils readily avail.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

The OP asked about topoff. A small amount of Rotella is not going to give him clutch slippage. I doubt that a full fill of Rotella would either, (based on my personal experience) but everyone can have their opinion. As I said, if it floats his boat, MC specific oils are available on the road.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beanoil View Post
    The OP asked about topoff. A small amount of Rotella is not going to give him clutch slippage. I doubt that a full fill of Rotella would either, (based on my personal experience) but everyone can have their opinion. As I said, if it floats his boat, MC specific oils are available on the road.
    From personal experience Rottella will make the clutch slip. After a couple hundred miles the clutch started to slip, dumping the oil and returning to the correct oil it continued to slip for a couple hundred miles before working correctly again. Rottella has a API SM rating and the owners manual specifically says that SM rated oils must not be used. Since Mobil 1 is rated API SM I will not use it as well. There are a lot of oils out here that will work just fine why use oils that the manufacturer tells you not to use. Learned my lesson the hard way.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I switched to Amsoil (Baja Ron) after my 3 oil change. After 3000K I started getting clutch slip so I changed back to BRP but it continued, 1st and second most noticeably. I took it to the dealer and they said it was a software issue and it was gone after that, however I have been afraid to try the Amsoil since. Since every seems to be working fine with it I will switch back as soon as Baja Ron can get the larger oil filters.

Does any one have any independent lab verified testing to document the advantage of Amsoil over that of other sythetics? I have owned 40+ vehicals in my life and never had an oil related issue so just wondering what he advantages are of Amsoil other than what Amsoil tells me.