Thread: backing up

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default backing up

ok this might sound nuts to all of you but i have a bad neck to go along with everything else i have wrong with me but has anyone ever thought about putting a reverse camera on their bike with a small screen on the dash. just curious

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That should be very doable with the availability of small cameras and monitors. Dave, aka CyncySpyder, has one mounted so he can watch his dog Teddy.

Carl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use my mirrors and have no problems - guess that comes from driving a truck. If you use a camera, don't forget that things will be in reverse as you maneuver.

Spyder Garage

agree with using the mirrors......especially if the wife is on the bike......it's easier than looking back!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default backing up

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    ok this might sound nuts to all of you but i have a bad neck to go along with everything else i have wrong with me but has anyone ever thought about putting a reverse camera on their bike with a small screen on the dash. just curious
    I have a bad back I use my mirrors all the time

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default REVERSE CAMERA'S

Can't vouch for the Quality ...but JC Whitney Has them.......Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

quickster47
    That should be very doable with the availability of small cameras and monitors. Dave, aka CyncySpyder, has one mounted so he can watch his dog Teddy.

He's got a pretty slick setup!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check out Dave and Teddy's Adventures he has a camera to keep an eye on Teddy. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...dventures-2013
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Yeah..!!

you can, locating the camera is the trick. If you have a go pro you can project to you phone and many other ways. Practice with the mirrors it's cheaper and never fails. Park in pull through's and avoid backing up..
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But we used to do that back in the old days; before our bikes had reverse...

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Post As stated, totally doable, but.......

Hi, I'm the Dave (& Teddy) that the others were directing you too. Welcome to the SpyderHood. We do have a rear-view camera system mounted on Teds Red Sled, along with many other custom farkles as you can see here in this pic

I've never used the system for just backing up, the mirrors work perfectly for that job for me, so I've never even thought about using the system that way. We had a 'normal' rear-view camera system from TadiBrothers.com that ran around $300 for the 7inch monitor and one water-proof camera. Problem is, none of their systems, besides the cameras, are designed for out door use, meaning their monitors are NOT water-proof/weather resistant. After calling them directly and talking with the sales guy, he felt confident that the system should work well enough even for a motorcycle application, tho there'd be no warranty if it didn't. And for 2 yrs, it worked well, but the monitor finally died from water infiltration.

So last year, I finally found a company that advertised the very 1st All-Weather 7inch LCD display, made for out-door use in all weather conditions, originally made for use on boats in a heavy water environment. Its warranteed and everything and is enclosed in an all aluminum chasis to be safe against water, gas, oil, sun, vibration etc etc etc........ I had to laugh when I read the part about it also being 'EXPLOSION PROOF' cause in my ignorance, that meant you couldn't blow it up, like with a grenade or dynamite, you know But my brother, who works in the industry explained that it meant the unit could be used in a volitile environement, like say a gas filled room, and the unit wouldn't cause a spark to ignite or cause an explosion Oh, I see......... I liked my thinking better ....... and I was really wanting to try and see how much the unit could really take before it finally exploded but oh well

Anyways, the unit works as advertised, tho being encased in an all aluminum chasis, its a heavy little sucker weighing in close to 7 pounds, so that can make mounting a challenge. I made my own mount using Ram mount & a bit of ingenuity

Its a pug-n-play system and I was able to hook it up with the 2 previous cameras that we were using with our other system. They offer 2 units, either a 2 camera display or a 4 camera display, I think starting at $399 or the 2 camera & $499 for the 4 camera. I just needed the 2, so I could have one camera on Teddy and the other camera for when we're towing our camper, which is actually just a tad bit taller than the Spyder, causing me to have issues on the highway, being able to see directly behind us and making lane changes a bit of a challenge. I still need to rewire our second camera, cause its placement isn't yet ideal for its intended need, but no big deal.

I'll try to locate the info about the maker when I get home, but I'm sure you could google weather-proof 7 inch LCD and you should find it, as last year, this was the only one on the market that was advertised & warranteed that way. Wow, I just googled it myself & found this site http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...511136149.htmlwhere you can get what looks like the same unit we have, but from a china company for about $180 but personally, I'd be worried about if you had an issue, will they be around, but that's just me. Either way, any rear-view camera on the market should be water-proof and should work with the display.

If you need more info or have further questions, feel free to send me a PM & I'll do my best to help answer them for you, based on our experiences

Last edited by CyncySpyder; 07-11-2013 at 07:48 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We just knew that you were to "Go-To" guy for this one!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default backing up

thanks a lot for all the input and as far as water proof monitor i carry a plastic bad for any electronics i have like a radar detector etc. but i do use the mirrors to back up but i like gadgets and lights so i was just thinking out loud i would try to go with a smaller screen than 7 inch if i do it. so thanks again for all the info