Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Front number plate

Hi
    I'm looking for some suggestions as to where to put a number plate at the front...i know what your thinking...WHY
    Well it would appear that here in the UK they have decided that the Spyder falls under new REG'S regarding front number plates and will fail an MOT inspection without one really really not happy as its obvious that the Spyder is not designed to have one as there is no good place to put it..so serious suggestion only please as this is gona be a legal requirement aswell....
    UK number plate law states that the plate must be full sized with right sized lettering! the same as a car and must be securely fitted and NOT stuck on...so no vinyl sticker version either

Thanks in advance

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Would you have enough room, if you stuck it right there in the nose-cone of the bike? Could you contour it, so that it fit flush back against it?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

If you have spyderpops bump skid you could fashion an 'L' bracket and attach it there.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

It would look teribble, but only idea might be at base of windshield, bottom edge of shield on a RT.
    Wonderful goverment thinking
    Good luck
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

I think rather than cut holes in the facia of the spyder i would mount a bracket to the lower A arm and attach the plate it would be visable but wouldent look to bad in that location.
    Mike

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    What is it about front number plates there and even over here? I like the idea above. Just bolt it on to the front nose but then after you pass your MOT, remove it. Spyders are so rare I doubt it will even be noticed. My state is a front plate state but I haven't run one since I bought my car in 2004. I've never been called on it. Gee, I keep having this reoccurring photo flash into my head of E types with plates bolted to the front hood except now its Spyders.
    I did get pulled over once when I had the front plate off and replaced it with MOPAR. Had the plate in the front window and when he saw that said install it on the front and left.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

UK has different plate than the US. Are they still thin and long..? Can you mount it on the fender like the old English bikes.. can you put half on each side.. Would really have to see the plate or sample of one to give a better Idea..there must be a way and not have it look cheesy...!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default PARLIMENT

you could attached it to the forehead of your member of Parliament.... maybe the screws will drive some common sense into their head....
    007.jpg

Spyder Garage

It is too bad BRP doesn't have a stronger presence in the UK. If ever there was a time for lobbiests, this would be one of those times. Failing to prevent the law from being enacted, the manufacturer should also be responsible for coming up with a retrofit. You have my sympathies.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

in Germany they have the same problem now - so just have a look in their technik-forum & use the Google-translater .. but it looks really ugly .. http://www.spyderfahrer.de/portal/in...p?topic=2185.0
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I have a great place to put it

How about the Frunk... if you get pulled over just tell them the mount broke off
    and you had to go back and pick up your plate and you put it in the frunk so it would not get lost.
    I have been doing that for years with my cars & trucks in California, been pulled over a few times
    the ask where the plate is so I open the trunk and show them.... they tell me to hurry up and put it on
    I say OK they leave I throw it back in the trunk.....
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by canamgirls View Post
    Hi
    I'm looking for some suggestions as to where to put a number plate at the front...i know what your thinking...WHY
    Well it would appear that here in the UK they have decided that the Spyder falls under new REG'S regarding front number plates and will fail an MOT inspection without one really really not happy as its obvious that the Spyder is not designed to have one as there is no good place to put it..so serious suggestion only please as this is gona be a legal requirement aswell....
    UK number plate law states that the plate must be full sized with right sized lettering! the same as a car and must be securely fitted and NOT stuck on...so no vinyl sticker version either

Thanks in advance

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exactly what are the dimensions of the plate that is being discussed?

Spyder Garage

If it's the standard Brit plate I see your problem. I was stationed there. The plates are made of acrylic plastic about 3/16 thick. The plates we had were slightly larger than a standard U.S. plate. More square than rectangular. I think the new ones are not as tall but much longer (?). So putting it on the front of a Spyder is a real problem.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here the car dealers have a clear plastic sleeve with a strap that they put their dealer-tags in and hang it from the rear trunk latch during test drives.
    http://www.cardealerdepot.com/tagbag.aspx
    If there's something like that in the UK, get one - or fashion one for your own use - and suspend it from the front of the frunk. The strap would have to be thin enough not to interfere with the frunk operation, and would have to have a snap or something so it could be pulled apart.

Good luck. Let us know what you end up doing. I'd love to see the pics.
    Last edited by PrairieSpyder; 07-09-2013 at 09:13 AM.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    It is too bad BRP doesn't have a stronger presence in the UK. If ever there was a time for lobbiests, this would be one of those times. Failing to prevent the law from being enacted, the manufacturer should also be responsible for coming up with a retrofit. You have my sympathies.
    with Scotty as usual. You all might want to contact BRP in a massive way and let them know what is going on so that BRP can start lobbing this issue or come up with an OEM after thought solution.
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are they long and thin still, or are they now squarish? Either case, can you bend it to fit the contour of the nose? Are they small enough to put on the A-arm between the wheel and the frunk (without hurting airflow)?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was at a concours with Ferraris and Lambos and there was one with a retractable plate holder similar to this:
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's really cool ... But ground clearance under the bike isn't exactly in great supply either.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default License Plate

Just a thought. If you get a couple hinges and screw it on the Bump Skid if you hit a dip it would just fold under and the fall back where it is visible again. Or you could just move down here. Just kidding.