Spyder Garage

Default license light red cover

Looks like my license light cover, fell off. To get a replacement you have to buy the whole assy. $50 +. Anybody know of any options?

Spyder Garage

Try contacting No Magic Neon or Custom Dynamics. Both are site sponsors and can be accessed from the home page.

I bought the cover that makes the light a running light as well as license plate lite. It is a complete swap for the OEM light.
    I think I paid $20.00 a year or so ago.

Stan
    Happy owner of 2014 White RTS - SE6

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default light cover

Thanks Guys, I love this forum

Spyder Garage

Default Used electrical tape

Quote Originally Posted by richie View Post
    Looks like my license light cover, fell off. To get a replacement you have to buy the whole assy. $50 +. Anybody know of any options?
    I paid the $50 bucks before and used the $5 dollar part off it instead of replacing the whole thing. Then I added black electrical tape to keep it secure. It's sad that BRP never fixed this on the older models. (At least none that I am aware of.) ONE TINY SCREW HOLDING THIS WHOLE THING ON. SAD. I ranted about it then and decided to do a little ranting again. Good luck with whatever you purchase.

Previous owner of a 2008 Spyder SM5.
    Current owner of a 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by COOLMACHINE View Post
    I paid the $50 bucks before and used the $5 dollar part off it instead of replacing the whole thing. Then I added black electrical tape to keep it secure. It's sad that BRP never fixed this on the older models. (At least none that I am aware of.) ONE TINY SCREW HOLDING THIS WHOLE THING ON. SAD. I ranted about it then and decided to do a little ranting again. Good luck with whatever you purchase.
    mine too came off.
    bought a boat trailer light from advance auto for 9.95

also ran a line from my brake lights to the unit and now i have 3 brake lites

Spyder Garage

If it fell off and didn't strip the screw housing you can use one of the aftermarket ones. If you damaged the housing you may be stuck or you can try glue and worry about the bulb burning at a other point

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by elixermixer View Post
    If it fell off and didn't strip the screw housing you can use one of the aftermarket ones. If you damaged the housing you may be stuck or you can try glue and worry about the bulb burning at a other point
    They generally don't strip the screw hole, which is just a couple of threads in a piece of sheet metal. The either just have the screw back out, or the center of the lens around the screw breaks out. The first problem arises because the screw never pulls tightly against the mount. The sheet metal merely bends, nver keeping much tension on the screw. A good solution is to put a small dap of RTV silicone on the screw hole at the bracket, just before installing the lens. A few daps around the lens where it mates to the housing, after installation, is good insurance, too, and can redily be slit to remove the lens to change the bulb. For the second problem, reinforcing the screw hole boss of the lens is the answer. I glued a disc of styrene plastic to the back, and used a washer under the screw to spread the pressure more evenly. Nancy's lens was cracked 270 degrees around the screw boss.

It is a shame that BRP still doesn't sell a replacement lens or a better design for the light. In the meantime, some preventive measures and the Custom Dynamics/ESI replacement lens are the only good options short of replacing the assembly with a light from Walmart.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

Rich, I think I have one. You can pick it up if you still need it. I have a Corbin fender on my bike and I still have the original RS fender. I am sure the red cover is still on it. Let me know if you still need it and I will confirm what I have.

2012 RS SE - White. Sport rack with Backrest, ISCI Armrests, Two Brothers Exhaust

Spyder Garage

Default red cover

Quote Originally Posted by juliantrost View Post
    Rich, I think I have one. You can pick it up if you still need it. I have a Corbin fender on my bike and I still have the original RS fender. I am sure the red cover is still on it. Let me know if you still need it and I will confirm what I have.

Thank you, I ordered one from Custom Dynamics got it in like two days. Thanks to Wyliec & Scotty, and all you fellow Spyder people.