Spyder Garage

Default Manual Computer Reset

I seem to recall someone saying there was a way to manually reset the computer to clear an error message on the display, but I don't remember the steps or sequence. Does someone know/remember or am I off here (more than normal)? While riding this weekend I pulled into a gas station to top off and when I stepped on the brake pedal the pedal over traveled significantly, after which I got a "brake failure" message on the display. This has happened once before and was due to air in the brake lines. I would just like to clear the "brake failure" message and see if it happens again. As soon as I released the pedal it returned to it's original position and travel, this was only a momentary thing and didn't effect braking or riding afterwards.

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

I think it is turning the key on and off three times.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I think it is turning the key on and off three times.
    I think that was in a 10 second period.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are you sure that you want to clear it out of there?
    Nanny didn't light the screen up like that for laughs...
    I'd take care of whatever the source of the problem is, before just dumping the warning...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Once the code is pulled up it should clear and go into memory. At least that's what mine have done. Did you check your brake fluid level? And has the brake fluid been replaced per the manual?

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Are you sure that you want to clear it out of there?
    Nanny didn't light the screen up like that for laughs...
    I'd take care of whatever the source of the problem is, before just dumping the warning...
    No nanny, no limp mode, no issues riding or braking. It was a momentary thing. It did this same thing late last fall, I had all the wheels pulled off to have them chromed last spring. The dealer told me it was just air in the lines and bled the brakes. I've put over 1800 miles on it since then with no issues. Would just like to reset the computer and see if it ever does it again, may not. If it does I'll take it in and have them bleed the brakes again.

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jmcbow View Post
    I seem to recall someone saying there was a way to manually reset the computer to clear an error message on the display, but I don't remember the steps or sequence. Does someone know/remember or am I off here (more than normal)? While riding this weekend I pulled into a gas station to top off and when I stepped on the brake pedal the pedal over traveled significantly, after which I got a "brake failure" message on the display. This has happened once before and was due to air in the brake lines. I would just like to clear the "brake failure" message and see if it happens again. As soon as I released the pedal it returned to it's original position and travel, this was only a momentary thing and didn't effect braking or riding afterwards.
    Did the dealer tell you how air got in the system? Were any parts replaced? This isn't something to be taken lightly. imho

See your dealer. Again.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Did the dealer tell you how air got in the system? Were any parts replaced? This isn't something to be taken lightly. imho

See your dealer. Again.
    As I said, I had all the wheels pulled off and chromed, this included the rear wheel, sprocket and hub. This involved quite a bit of dissassembly, which is how the problem was created. As I've read here before, bleeding the brakes on the Spyder can be a pain. Others have noted that they have had to bleed the brake system repeatedly to address this issue.

Spyder Garage

Talking

As I said, I had all the wheels pulled off and chromed, this included the rear wheel, sprocket and hub. This involved quite a bit of dissassembly, which is how the problem was created. As I've read here before, bleeding the brakes on the Spyder can be a pain. Others have noted that they have had to bleed the brake system repeatedly to address this issue.
    Guess this hayseed doesn't understand how air gets into a closed system. Hope all goes well for you

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNur View Post
    "Brake fluid resides in a sealed, air-tight reservoir on top of the master cylinder. As the brake fluid level drops, air moves in to fill the void. Wait a minute -- didn't we just say that the system was air-tight? Well, unfortunately, air does get into the reservoir over time and it eventually makes its way into the rest of the braking system -- including your brake lines. Every time you open the cap to check your brake fluid level, you're letting air into the system. When the fluid is at the correct level, air isn't much of a factor; however, the more worn your brake pads are, the larger the void grows. That's one reason why it is so important to keep the fluid at the proper level.

*Water is another factor that can cause brake issues. Water can actually cause air to accumulate in your brake lines. How so, you ask? Well, brake fluid is hygroscopic -- it absorbs and retains water. The problem arises when the fluid has absorbed as much water as it possibly can -- it becomes saturated. Brake fluid is designed to have an extremely high boiling point; however, if you subject your vehicle to excessive braking, like maybe a trip through the mountains, you can easily cause the brake fluid to heat up to this temperature or beyond. When the brake fluid boils -- especially when there is excessive water in the system -- steam is a by-product. The braking system ultimately compresses this steam and turns it into water. The air separates from the water and before you know it, you have large pockets of air in your brake lines." - - How Stuff Works.
    If one allows their brake fluid level to get that low then they have created their own problem.

Spyder Garage

According to the service manual. Turning the key off and waiting 30 seconds will change the status of a fault from active to occurred. That is as long as the cause of the fault is not present when the key is turned back on.

No need to remove the key walk 20 feet away and swing a dead chicken over your head.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNur View Post
    "Brake fluid resides in a sealed, air-tight reservoir on top of the master cylinder. As the brake fluid level drops, air moves in to fill the void. Wait a minute -- didn't we just say that the system was air-tight? Well, unfortunately, air does get into the reservoir over time and it eventually makes its way into the rest of the braking system -- including your brake lines. Every time you open the cap to check your brake fluid level, you're letting air into the system. When the fluid is at the correct level, air isn't much of a factor; however, the more worn your brake pads are, the larger the void grows. That's one reason why it is so important to keep the fluid at the proper level.

*Water is another factor that can cause brake issues. Water can actually cause air to accumulate in your brake lines. How so, you ask? Well, brake fluid is hygroscopic -- it absorbs and retains water. The problem arises when the fluid has absorbed as much water as it possibly can -- it becomes saturated. Brake fluid is designed to have an extremely high boiling point; however, if you subject your vehicle to excessive braking, like maybe a trip through the mountains, you can easily cause the brake fluid to heat up to this temperature or beyond. When the brake fluid boils -- especially when there is excessive water in the system -- steam is a by-product. The braking system ultimately compresses this steam and turns it into water. The air separates from the water and before you know it, you have large pockets of air in your brake lines." - - How Stuff Works.
    The Spyder will give a brake failure message for low brake fluid long before air could enter the master cylinder.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The Spyder will give a brake failure message for low brake fluid long before air could enter the master cylinder.
    This seems to be an issue for a lot of owners. Doing a search for "brake faiure" resulted in numerous posts by other owners. I can't explain why I started having brake issues after having all the wheels pulled and chromed, but I did. It only seems to be a momentary thing too. All of a sudden I get a lot of over travel in the brake pedal which trips a sensor and I get the orange "brake failure" message and the parking brake indicator stays on. As soon as I take my foot off the brake pedal it returns to it's original position and travel, I still have brakes, the Spyder stops and rides fine except for the orange flashing "brake failure" message on the display. The last time it happened the dealer told me it was air in the brake lines, they bled the brakes and I didn't have any issues for over 1800 miles, then this last weekend the same thing happened again. Could the brake pads be that worn out at 16k miles? It's not like I do a lot of hard riding, most of my miles are highway miles too.

Spyder Garage

This seems to be an issue for a lot of owners. Doing a search for "brake faiure" resulted in numerous posts by other owners. I can't explain why I started having brake issues after having all the wheels pulled and chromed, but I did. It only seems to be a momentary thing too. All of a sudden I get a lot of over travel in the brake pedal which trips a sensor and I get the orange "brake failure" message and the parking brake indicator stays on. As soon as I take my foot off the brake pedal it returns to it's original position and travel, I still have brakes, the Spyder stops and rides fine except for the orange flashing "brake failure" message on the display. The last time it happened the dealer told me it was air in the brake lines, they bled the brakes and I didn't have any issues for over 1800 miles, then this last weekend the same thing happened again. Could the brake pads be that worn out at 16k miles? It's not like I do a lot of hard riding, most of my miles are highway miles too.
    My rear brake was almost down to the metal @ 13k. Of course I am heavy and we ride 2 up alot and sometimes tow a trailer as well. But it is possible.

Spyder Garage

Default Brakes

I had this same thing happen to me and it turned out to be a bad o ring in the master cylinder, had to replace it.

Spyder Garage

Rear brake less than 1 mm at 14K.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!