Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member jmcbow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Round Lake, Illinois
    Posts
    186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Manual Computer Reset

    I seem to recall someone saying there was a way to manually reset the computer to clear an error message on the display, but I don't remember the steps or sequence. Does someone know/remember or am I off here (more than normal)? While riding this weekend I pulled into a gas station to top off and when I stepped on the brake pedal the pedal over traveled significantly, after which I got a "brake failure" message on the display. This has happened once before and was due to air in the brake lines. I would just like to clear the "brake failure" message and see if it happens again. As soon as I released the pedal it returned to it's original position and travel, this was only a momentary thing and didn't effect braking or riding afterwards.

  2. #2
    SpyderLovers Sponsor SpyderAnn01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    7,738
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think it is turning the key on and off three times.

    2014 RTS-SM6 Vegas White Tri Axis handlebars, comfort seat, backrest, Custom Dyn. HMT brake, bright sides and strobe, TricLed side & rear fender lights, American Flag light, BajaRon SwayBar, Spyderpops Bump Skid, KOTT, Laser Aligned by Squared Away
    2014 RTL-SE6 on test drive 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 loaner put 5,000 miles on it
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 retired at 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

  3. #3
    Senior Member wyliec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    Posts
    4,491
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I think it is turning the key on and off three times.
    I think that was in a 10 second period.

  4. #4
    PostZilla member Bob Denman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    USA, New York, Grahamsville
    Posts
    51,773
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Are you sure that you want to clear it out of there?
    Nanny didn't light the screen up like that for laughs...
    I'd take care of whatever the source of the problem is, before just dumping the warning...

    Out with the old; in with the "WOO-HOO "
    2014 RT Limited: #2444: Born on Jan 30th, 2014

  5. #5
    Senior Member bruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Eastern North Carolina
    Posts
    6,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Once the code is pulled up it should clear and go into memory. At least that's what mine have done. Did you check your brake fluid level? And has the brake fluid been replaced per the manual?
    Bruiser

    2012 RTS SM5 Viper Red
    GloRyders
    TricLed:
    Channel Lights
    Daytime A-Frame LEDs
    ISCI License plate flag holders
    Custom Dynamics HMT
    Xenon Depot HID Headlights
    SpyderPops Bumpskid
    Bajaron Swaybar

    USAF '69-'89 E7

    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.





  6. #6
    Senior Member jmcbow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Round Lake, Illinois
    Posts
    186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Are you sure that you want to clear it out of there?
    Nanny didn't light the screen up like that for laughs...
    I'd take care of whatever the source of the problem is, before just dumping the warning...
    No nanny, no limp mode, no issues riding or braking. It was a momentary thing. It did this same thing late last fall, I had all the wheels pulled off to have them chromed last spring. The dealer told me it was just air in the lines and bled the brakes. I've put over 1800 miles on it since then with no issues. Would just like to reset the computer and see if it ever does it again, may not. If it does I'll take it in and have them bleed the brakes again.

  7. #7
    Thinks out loud Jerbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    La Quinta, Ca.
    Posts
    4,437
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcbow View Post
    I seem to recall someone saying there was a way to manually reset the computer to clear an error message on the display, but I don't remember the steps or sequence. Does someone know/remember or am I off here (more than normal)? While riding this weekend I pulled into a gas station to top off and when I stepped on the brake pedal the pedal over traveled significantly, after which I got a "brake failure" message on the display. This has happened once before and was due to air in the brake lines. I would just like to clear the "brake failure" message and see if it happens again. As soon as I released the pedal it returned to it's original position and travel, this was only a momentary thing and didn't effect braking or riding afterwards.
    Did the dealer tell you how air got in the system? Were any parts replaced? This isn't something to be taken lightly. imho

    See your dealer. Again.

    Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

  8. #8
    Senior Member jmcbow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Round Lake, Illinois
    Posts
    186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Did the dealer tell you how air got in the system? Were any parts replaced? This isn't something to be taken lightly. imho

    See your dealer. Again.
    As I said, I had all the wheels pulled off and chromed, this included the rear wheel, sprocket and hub. This involved quite a bit of dissassembly, which is how the problem was created. As I've read here before, bleeding the brakes on the Spyder can be a pain. Others have noted that they have had to bleed the brake system repeatedly to address this issue.

  9. #9
    Thinks out loud Jerbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    La Quinta, Ca.
    Posts
    4,437
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcbow View Post
    As I said, I had all the wheels pulled off and chromed, this included the rear wheel, sprocket and hub. This involved quite a bit of dissassembly, which is how the problem was created. As I've read here before, bleeding the brakes on the Spyder can be a pain. Others have noted that they have had to bleed the brake system repeatedly to address this issue.
    Guess this hayseed doesn't understand how air gets into a closed system. Hope all goes well for you

    Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

  10. #10
    Thinks out loud Jerbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    La Quinta, Ca.
    Posts
    4,437
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveNur View Post
    "Brake fluid resides in a sealed, air-tight reservoir on top of the master cylinder. As the brake fluid level drops, air moves in to fill the void. Wait a minute -- didn't we just say that the system was air-tight? Well, unfortunately, air does get into the reservoir over time and it eventually makes its way into the rest of the braking system -- including your brake lines. Every time you open the cap to check your brake fluid level, you're letting air into the system. When the fluid is at the correct level, air isn't much of a factor; however, the more worn your brake pads are, the larger the void grows. That's one reason why it is so important to keep the fluid at the proper level.

    *Water is another factor that can cause brake issues. Water can actually cause air to accumulate in your brake lines. How so, you ask? Well, brake fluid is hygroscopic -- it absorbs and retains water. The problem arises when the fluid has absorbed as much water as it possibly can -- it becomes saturated. Brake fluid is designed to have an extremely high boiling point; however, if you subject your vehicle to excessive braking, like maybe a trip through the mountains, you can easily cause the brake fluid to heat up to this temperature or beyond. When the brake fluid boils -- especially when there is excessive water in the system -- steam is a by-product. The braking system ultimately compresses this steam and turns it into water. The air separates from the water and before you know it, you have large pockets of air in your brake lines." - - How Stuff Works.
    If one allows their brake fluid level to get that low then they have created their own problem.

    Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

  11. Likes BBBANDIT liked this post
  12. #11
    Senior Member billybovine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitchell, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,029
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcbow View Post
    I seem to recall someone saying there was a way to manually reset the computer to clear an error message on the display, but I don't remember the steps or sequence. Does someone know/remember or am I off here (more than normal)? While riding this weekend I pulled into a gas station to top off and when I stepped on the brake pedal the pedal over traveled significantly, after which I got a "brake failure" message on the display. This has happened once before and was due to air in the brake lines. I would just like to clear the "brake failure" message and see if it happens again. As soon as I released the pedal it returned to it's original position and travel, this was only a momentary thing and didn't effect braking or riding afterwards.
    According to the service manual. Turning the key off and waiting 30 seconds will change the status of a fault from active to occurred. That is as long as the cause of the fault is not present when the key is turned back on.

    No need to remove the key walk 20 feet away and swing a dead chicken over your head.
    2013 ST LIMITED BLACK CURRANT
    Gorilla Alarm
    Sena SM10 Bluetooth Dongle, with homemade harness
    USB power outlet.
    3 button garage door opener.

  13. Likes coz liked this post
  14. #12
    Senior Member billybovine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Mitchell, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,029
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveNur View Post
    "Brake fluid resides in a sealed, air-tight reservoir on top of the master cylinder. As the brake fluid level drops, air moves in to fill the void. Wait a minute -- didn't we just say that the system was air-tight? Well, unfortunately, air does get into the reservoir over time and it eventually makes its way into the rest of the braking system -- including your brake lines. Every time you open the cap to check your brake fluid level, you're letting air into the system. When the fluid is at the correct level, air isn't much of a factor; however, the more worn your brake pads are, the larger the void grows. That's one reason why it is so important to keep the fluid at the proper level.

    *Water is another factor that can cause brake issues. Water can actually cause air to accumulate in your brake lines. How so, you ask? Well, brake fluid is hygroscopic -- it absorbs and retains water. The problem arises when the fluid has absorbed as much water as it possibly can -- it becomes saturated. Brake fluid is designed to have an extremely high boiling point; however, if you subject your vehicle to excessive braking, like maybe a trip through the mountains, you can easily cause the brake fluid to heat up to this temperature or beyond. When the brake fluid boils -- especially when there is excessive water in the system -- steam is a by-product. The braking system ultimately compresses this steam and turns it into water. The air separates from the water and before you know it, you have large pockets of air in your brake lines." - - How Stuff Works.
    The Spyder will give a brake failure message for low brake fluid long before air could enter the master cylinder.
    2013 ST LIMITED BLACK CURRANT
    Gorilla Alarm
    Sena SM10 Bluetooth Dongle, with homemade harness
    USB power outlet.
    3 button garage door opener.

  15. Likes coz liked this post
  16. #13
    Senior Member jmcbow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Round Lake, Illinois
    Posts
    186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The Spyder will give a brake failure message for low brake fluid long before air could enter the master cylinder.
    This seems to be an issue for a lot of owners. Doing a search for "brake faiure" resulted in numerous posts by other owners. I can't explain why I started having brake issues after having all the wheels pulled and chromed, but I did. It only seems to be a momentary thing too. All of a sudden I get a lot of over travel in the brake pedal which trips a sensor and I get the orange "brake failure" message and the parking brake indicator stays on. As soon as I take my foot off the brake pedal it returns to it's original position and travel, I still have brakes, the Spyder stops and rides fine except for the orange flashing "brake failure" message on the display. The last time it happened the dealer told me it was air in the brake lines, they bled the brakes and I didn't have any issues for over 1800 miles, then this last weekend the same thing happened again. Could the brake pads be that worn out at 16k miles? It's not like I do a lot of hard riding, most of my miles are highway miles too.

  17. #14
    Senior Member Hawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Buford, GA
    Posts
    813
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcbow View Post
    This seems to be an issue for a lot of owners. Doing a search for "brake faiure" resulted in numerous posts by other owners. I can't explain why I started having brake issues after having all the wheels pulled and chromed, but I did. It only seems to be a momentary thing too. All of a sudden I get a lot of over travel in the brake pedal which trips a sensor and I get the orange "brake failure" message and the parking brake indicator stays on. As soon as I take my foot off the brake pedal it returns to it's original position and travel, I still have brakes, the Spyder stops and rides fine except for the orange flashing "brake failure" message on the display. The last time it happened the dealer told me it was air in the brake lines, they bled the brakes and I didn't have any issues for over 1800 miles, then this last weekend the same thing happened again. Could the brake pads be that worn out at 16k miles? It's not like I do a lot of hard riding, most of my miles are highway miles too.
    My rear brake was almost down to the metal @ 13k. Of course I am heavy and we ride 2 up alot and sometimes tow a trailer as well. But it is possible.
    My Other Loves:

    States Visited On Our Spyder

  18. #15
    Member Madincalif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Delhi,ca
    Posts
    51
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Brakes

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcbow View Post
    I seem to recall someone saying there was a way to manually reset the computer to clear an error message on the display, but I don't remember the steps or sequence. Does someone know/remember or am I off here (more than normal)? While riding this weekend I pulled into a gas station to top off and when I stepped on the brake pedal the pedal over traveled significantly, after which I got a "brake failure" message on the display. This has happened once before and was due to air in the brake lines. I would just like to clear the "brake failure" message and see if it happens again. As soon as I released the pedal it returned to it's original position and travel, this was only a momentary thing and didn't effect braking or riding afterwards.
    I had this same thing happen to me and it turned out to be a bad o ring in the master cylinder, had to replace it.

  19. #16
    Motorbike Professor NancysToy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, MI
    Posts
    20,844
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jmcbow View Post
    This seems to be an issue for a lot of owners. Doing a search for "brake faiure" resulted in numerous posts by other owners. I can't explain why I started having brake issues after having all the wheels pulled and chromed, but I did. It only seems to be a momentary thing too. All of a sudden I get a lot of over travel in the brake pedal which trips a sensor and I get the orange "brake failure" message and the parking brake indicator stays on. As soon as I take my foot off the brake pedal it returns to it's original position and travel, I still have brakes, the Spyder stops and rides fine except for the orange flashing "brake failure" message on the display. The last time it happened the dealer told me it was air in the brake lines, they bled the brakes and I didn't have any issues for over 1800 miles, then this last weekend the same thing happened again. Could the brake pads be that worn out at 16k miles? It's not like I do a lot of hard riding, most of my miles are highway miles too.
    Rear brake less than 1 mm at 14K.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine) & 2008 Spyder GS-SM5-PE (Nancy's)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 22 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder



    Mutant Trikes Forever!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •