Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Okay- now I am paranoid---2012 RTS-SE5 Boiling gas

My wife and I just got back home from a ryde and were on the highway for a while. Temperature was in the mid to upper 80's, with dewpoints up there to make it feel closer to 90 degrees. At one point my on board temp sensor was reading 102 degrees but on the ryde home it was 96.

Pulled it into the barn, felt hotter than heck, lifted my seat to connect up the battery tender, and put my ear down by the gas tank and you can hear it boiling away. Last fill up with with PREMIUM NO ETHANOL.

With all this about fires lately with the event in Mag Valley for who knows what reason.....and broken header pipes and pipes in general on 2013's, I am just losing faith----only had this roadster since December 2012.

My wife says, "Well, we will just ride when it is in the 70's and 80's. In KS that means early spring and late summer to fall.

Is this boiling gas really an issue? Would be interesting if someone could or would put a poll out there inquiring just how many of us and what years are hearing boiling gas.

I am mechanically inclined but not with the Spyder due to Tupperware and all that. So may take it 3 hours down the road to Pitbull and let Len and them go over it. I need my Elka's tension set higher anyways cause right hand curves feel sluggish, or spongy.

I know the Tupperware is a heat trap in general, seems like 2-wheels with the gas tank mounted above the motor housing and more in free moving air flow, do not have this issue.

Being 5'3" and my wife 5'10" riding 2-up like we enjoy doing can't really be done safely on 2 wheels and we love the Spyder and it's safety in general.

I'll let the group read this, comment on their experiences thoughts etc., Surely I am not the only newbie (kind of now) that is questioning things with gas boil.

I know coming down the gravel road in 1st gear and only 10 mph- I also heard a thunk tonight but will check the Heim joints soon too- if I can see them with my bump-skid on.

Thank you to the group ahead of time!

2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

Talking

This will not make you feel any better but my 2011 boils often and emits fuel odors once the temps reach the mid 80's or better. Hasn't exploded, yet.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks----but do you KNOW Murphy- Like we do?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    This will not make you feel any better but my 2011 boils often and emits fuel odors once the temps reach the mid 80's or better. Hasn't exploded, yet.

Wow- sounds like it is a "normal" thing for all of us - will see what others say but ----LOL--Me and Murphy---we can't seem to shake him-----hope I never Explode either......Especially in our barn!

Thanks for the response!
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Elembytes View Post
    I am mechanically inclined but not with the Spyder due to Tupperware and all that. So may take it 3 hours down the road to Pitbull and let Len and them go over it.
    The fact that you have some mechanical knowledge I would encourage you to take the Tupperware off. It is not that difficult and it will make you feel a whole lot more comfortable when you actually see it "naked". Now as far as you being paranoid I would suggest that this is a normal response given the multiple threads related to build issues, quality issues, dealer issues, vendor issues, BRP hating their customer issues......... We can't have just one thread to discuss a "cracked pipe" we have to have 5 threads and then the arm chair private investigators show up with all their " conspiracy theories" as to why the 3-5 pipes broke on the thousands upon thousands of Spyders out there? Your last statement about taking the bike to Len and letting him review it is a great idea perhaps it can put your mind to rest and let you enjoy the Spyder. Just got back from a 400km ride with my wife along the shores of Lake Huron had a nice lunch, just a great time. This is what it is all about....................isn't it?
    2011 RTS SM5

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There are quite a few threads on the subject here. In short, the headers drop down just in front of the tank, so when it gets to around a quarter mark, the gas can boil. Some, including myself have wrapped or ceramic coated the pipes and others have insulated the gas tank as well.

There have been debates as to its effectiveness, but for me and wrapped pipes only, solved the issue. I've ridden in as hot as 111 so far and have had not heard the gas boil yet. Seat's been cooler and Spyder runs better than it did this time last year without the wrapping.

Spyder Garage

Wife and I did 180 miles today on our RTSs with temps in the mid 80's and dew points in the 70's. Yeah, hot and muggy. On the way home 75 mph on I95 and I295. No problems with boiling fuel in either Spyder. Last fill up was with premium Shell.

By the way, we never put ours in the garage until they cool down after a ride.
    Last edited by bruiser; 07-06-2013 at 06:29 PM.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Default Well folks..!!

last weekend on Saturdays 210 mile ryde the temps were as high as 111. Sundays ryde 250 miles were a tad warmer at 113. Today was pleasant at 93 but we always head to the coast where it is cooler. I have said before on many of the other threads try to fill the tank sooner if possible in hot weather. I will fill it when it hits about half a tank. I do not have boiling gas problems. My goldwing with the tank under the seat had more problems... No spyder I know of has caught fire from boiling gas. Someone posted the flash point of all the liquids in your vehicles and if you check back you will see you will have a tough time getting that hot ryding around in hot weather...as I see it..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Wow- sounds like it is a "normal" thing for all of us - will see what others say but ----LOL--Me and Murphy---we can't seem to shake him-----hope I never Explode either......Especially in our barn!

Thanks for the response!
    Just cool her down before putting her away.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Like Jerbear mentioned not sure if this helps but over at the Goldwing Forum they speak frequently about this issue all the way back to the early 1990 models. They site "Tupperware" and "Engine Heat" and "Air Temperature" as contributing factors, all generally agree it happens on occasion but it is not something to be overly concerned about? The recent versions of the Goldwing actually incorporate a plastic fuel tank but yet again they suggest it is not a serious problem?
    2011 RTS SM5

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Okay- now I am paranoid---2012 RTS-SE5 Boiling gas

Quote Originally Posted by Buttsy View Post
    Like Jerbear mentioned not sure if this helps but over at the Goldwing Forum they speak frequently about this issue all the way back to the early 1990 models. They site "Tupperware" and "Engine Heat" and "Air Temperature" as contributing factors, all generally agree it happens on occasion but it is not something to be overly concerned about? The recent versions of the Goldwing actually incorporate a plastic fuel tank but yet again they suggest it is not a serious problem?
    Say it isn't so. Our resident troll is going to have a cow!
    Last edited by MidLifeCrisis; 07-06-2013 at 08:21 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ummm... as "Midlifecrisis" mentioned... our resident complainer-troll is going to have a fit over that! Blasphemy in his eyes! Oh my... how is he going to handle boiling gas in his GW?

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Gasoline boils at temperatures ranging from 100 to 400 Degrees F.

The term boiling gasoline sounds a lot more ominous than it really is.
    Just don't take the cap off and try to see it using a match for light.

Boiling happens when the liquid gasoline begins to turn into a gas.
    The Evap canisterand venting provide the necessary safety.

Once again, Roger, thanks for putting a smile on my face.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    There are quite a few threads on the subject here. In short, the headers drop down just in front of the tank, so when it gets to around a quarter mark, the gas can boil. Some, including myself have wrapped or ceramic coated the pipes and others have insulated the gas tank as well.

There have been debates as to its effectiveness, but for me and wrapped pipes only, solved the issue. I've ridden in as hot as 111 so far and have had not heard the gas boil yet. Seat's been cooler and Spyder runs better than it did this time last year without the wrapping.
    My gas was boiling with 3/4 of a tank of gas, NOT 1/4 as you mention. I wonder if my dealer would wrap the pipes for me or not, if they'd even do it as carefully as someone with lots of time would. Hate to disturb other items to later have other issues due to wrapping. Thanks for the post.

Spyder Garage

Default My tank was 3/4 full with boiling gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    last weekend on Saturdays 210 mile ryde the temps were as high as 111. Sundays ryde 250 miles were a tad warmer at 113. Today was pleasant at 93 but we always head to the coast where it is cooler. I have said before on many of the other threads try to fill the tank sooner if possible in hot weather. I will fill it when it hits about half a tank. I do not have boiling gas problems. My goldwing with the tank under the seat had more problems... No spyder I know of has caught fire from boiling gas. Someone posted the flash point of all the liquids in your vehicles and if you check back you will see you will have a tough time getting that hot ryding around in hot weather...as I see it..
    Thanks- my tank is 3/4 full and boiling was occuring. Not sure why or how your Roadster is not boiling fuel in the weather conditions you wrote about. Maybe after riding a while at highway speeds and then doing some slow city driving you'll find you will boil too. I do like your encouraging words about "No Spyder has caught fire from boiling gas. Hope and pray I won't be the exception to the rule!

Spyder Garage

Gas boils in motorcycle tanks far more than most people realize. Having a fuel tank right above the engine, in close proximity, is enough to do the job even on some naked bikes. Most people realize it when they open it to fuel the tank and it is boiling. As the pressure is released, it boils harder. It does take extra caution and sometimes special technique to fill under these circumstances, but as Roger said, on a closed tank with an intact and properly functioning cap and venting system it poses little safety problem.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Spyder Garage

The RT's and the TS's have their Catalytic Converter right under the gas tank. My 2011 RS-S only boils if the temp. is above 95 deg. and the gas tank is then 2 bars(then less 1 gal. of gas in the tank). I keep my tank on less than 1/3 of a tank when I ride in hot weather. That's IMHO.

Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Gasoline boils at temperatures ranging from 100 to 400 Degrees F.

The term boiling gasoline sounds a lot more ominous than it really is.
    Just don't take the cap off and try to see it using a match for light.

Boiling happens when the liquid gasoline begins to turn into a gas.
    The Evap canisterand venting provide the necessary safety.
    Rattigan has the voice of reason here. Gasoline does have a pretty low boiling point. Starts around 100 degrees, and the distillation curve can go up to 350, may be a little more in some cases. MTBE and ethanol will lower the 10% temperature, and some racing fuel additives literally boil away at 70 degrees.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Just top the tank up before you get home and the nice cool gas will bring it down to a better temp. and leave it in an open and as cool as possible location (seat up helps) until Spyder temp comes down.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have ridden many, many miles in temps above 90 degrees and quite a lot over 100 degrees. To my knowledge, gasoline has boiled in the tank of my 2010 RT once. Of course, I am usually on the highway and very seldom ride in stop and go traffic which would be much more likely to create the heat needed to boil the gasoline in the tank. I don't think it's a problem, at least not for me. Cotton

Spyder Garage

I'm one with broken manifold pipe. Got very hot on gas tank. I'm going to put some insulation around pipe between gas tank. Going to do some research but think just plain pink stuff might work. If not I might go out to the farm and see if I can find some ass best toes . LOL

Spyder Garage

My wife and I just got back home from a ryde and were on the highway for a while. Temperature was in the mid to upper 80's, with dewpoints up there to make it feel closer to 90 degrees. At one point my on board temp sensor was reading 102 degrees but on the ryde home it was 96.

Pulled it into the barn, felt hotter than heck, lifted my seat to connect up the battery tender, and put my ear down by the gas tank and you can hear it boiling away. Last fill up with with PREMIUM NO ETHANOL.

With all this about fires lately with the event in Mag Valley for who knows what reason.....and broken header pipes and pipes in general on 2013's, I am just losing faith----only had this roadster since December 2012.

My wife says, "Well, we will just ride when it is in the 70's and 80's. In KS that means early spring and late summer to fall.

Is this boiling gas really an issue? Would be interesting if someone could or would put a poll out there inquiring just how many of us and what years are hearing boiling gas.

I am mechanically inclined but not with the Spyder due to Tupperware and all that. So may take it 3 hours down the road to Pitbull and let Len and them go over it. I need my Elka's tension set higher anyways cause right hand curves feel sluggish, or spongy.

I know the Tupperware is a heat trap in general, seems like 2-wheels with the gas tank mounted above the motor housing and more in free moving air flow, do not have this issue.

Being 5'3" and my wife 5'10" riding 2-up like we enjoy doing can't really be done safely on 2 wheels and we love the Spyder and it's safety in general.

I'll let the group read this, comment on their experiences thoughts etc., Surely I am not the only newbie (kind of now) that is questioning things with gas boil.

I know coming down the gravel road in 1st gear and only 10 mph- I also heard a thunk tonight but will check the Heim joints soon too- if I can see them with my bump-skid on.

Thank you to the group ahead of time!

Gasoline can boil from 90 degrees F to 430 F There are many factors besides temp. Winter gas or gas with other things in it will boil sooner. Higher altitude and even gas from one vendor or another are also a factor. So you could buy 91 at one station and have no problem and buy 91 at another and maybe you would have one under the exact same conditions. Different companies put different things in their gasoline so it is not all the same. I haven't had this problem yet but i try not to let my tank go to low when it is hot out if i can avoid it.

Very Active Member cyclelover63's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I rode my 2009 Gs to Colorado owners event..Temps in New Mexico got over 106 on display..I never did notice my gas boiling..Just lucky or deaf,one or the other..

Spyder Garage

I guess that explains the strong fuel smell in my garage after a ride. I will let cool in the driveway before putting away as well.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    Say it isn't so. Our resident troll is going to have a cow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    Ummm... as "Midlifecrisis" mentioned... our resident complainer-troll is going to have a fit over that! Blasphemy in his eyes! Oh my... how is he going to handle boiling gas in his GW?
    He's one unhappy camper... he's probably in the GW forums talking smack about the GW's and that issue while making the the best invention since bacon! (i.e. hypocrite???)
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Perhaps ignorance is truly bliss...
    I've never noticed fuel boiling in my RT...
    But after Roger and Scotty's explanations; I wouldn't worry about it much even if I did!

HEY DAVE... PLASTIC GAS TANKS!!!
    Let's see if he bites on THAT one!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black