Spyder Garage

Default Traveling Miles per day

Planning our first multi-day trip on the new RT Ltd... and wanted to ask some experienced travelers: "Approximately how many highway miles can you comfortably travel in a day?" Fuel stops, taking on nourishment, stretching the old legs, etc... I'm figuring it takes longer to get from A to B than it would in a car... PLEASE share... and tell me how many miles you've gone 2 up? Thanks for the input!

Spyder Garage

In the good ol days--I had no problem doing 600 miles on two wheels, two up. I would generally stop for gas every 100 miles or so, and have a fast food meal when it was time. However--I don't recommend that method of travel any more. You miss out on to much. You don't stop and smell the roses, arrive tensed up, and tired.

My most recent long trip--(2010) took me to Whitehorse and Skagway from Anchorage AK area. We did 300 mile days, two up on one Spyder, and solo on the other. Stopped and smelled the roses, enjoyed our rest breaks every 75 miles or so, took some great pictures and had eats when we felt like it. Arrived tired, but not exhausted, and were ready for a really good evening meal and wind-down time for the next day.

I also have hip and back issues these days. So my Iron Butt touring days are gone. Future trips will be as in paragraph two for me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Our last big trip

Quote Originally Posted by cpdblegl View Post
    Planning our first multi-day trip on the new RT Ltd... and wanted to ask some experienced travelers: "Approximately how many highway miles can you comfortably travel in a day?" Fuel stops, taking on nourishment, stretching the old legs, etc... I'm figuring it takes longer to get from A to B than it would in a car... PLEASE share... and tell me how many miles you've gone 2 up? Thanks for the input!
    Was to Springfield, Mo. We had several 400 mile days but those were mainly through the desert at 75 + miles per hour and hot weather close to 100 degrees. Stopped often and drank water and rested. On the way home, One day was 525 miles across the desert at 90 miles per hour...hot weather...exhausting...don't recommend such long days. 300 to 400 miles isn't bad but we had many days (out of 33) where we only went 200 miles and did a lot of sight seeing along the way. We are too old for more except for times (like through the desert) where there is nothing to see and no place to stop (except rest areas) or eat or stay.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A comfortable day on the interstate for us is 450 miles. You can get a later start in the morning and still arrive in time for dinner. That said we typically travel 600 to 750 miles in a day when we need to get where we are going.

We generally don't make reservations ahead of time on the road and instead pick a target stopping point and have a backup plan for going a shorter distance and also for going farther if we feel like it. I do try to map out gas stops or at least know where I might run into stretches without gas. We usually stop at about 100 - 120 miles for gas, bathrooms and stretching.

Everyone has a different tolerance for riding and you just have to figure out what yours is. Have fun!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I can (relatively) comfortably do 300 miles in a day these days. That being said, a year and a half ago I did 600 miles a day for two days riding from St Louis to the Space Coast of Florida, but I won't do that any time again soon.

Now that's on a Spyder...on two wheels any more I can do considerably less.

In the "old" days I could do quite a bit more, but I'm 62 now and have no desire to make myself uncomfortable on a bike trip.

When my wife and I do travel we stop at least every 100 miles for gas, a pit stop and to stretch.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Default Traveling distance

We just finished last week a 2000 miles trip.

We did few times 500 miles/day, which is not too bad found out that this is the most we can do and still enjoy it. We did one day 640 Miles but was too much.

We are stopping every 120 miles for a drink food and gas. We also found out that an average stop will take about 45 minutes.

Try few distances and see what is conformable for both of you.

Enjoy the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    A comfortable day on the interstate for us is 450 miles. You can get a later start in the morning and still arrive in time for dinner. That said we typically travel 600 to 750 miles in a day when we need to get where we are going.

We generally don't make reservations ahead of time on the road and instead pick a target stopping point and have a backup plan for going a shorter distance and also for going farther if we feel like it. I do try to map out gas stops or at least know where I might run into stretches without gas. We usually stop at about 100 - 120 miles for gas, bathrooms and stretching.

Everyone has a different tolerance for riding and you just have to figure out what yours is. Have fun!
    This message was sent between rides

Spyder Garage

I will ask, what is the purpose of the trip? Is the destination or the ride there, the most important.
    I would go along with most on here. 100 to 120 miles, then a rest, gas, move about stop for highway ( Interstate) travel. Playing on a road like the Rattler, it might be 50 or 60 miles. All out on the Dragon, 11 miles.
    I prefer the back (2 lane) roads, always have, unless the destination is the main thing. See something interesting, stop and look. A inside the mill, water wheel in KY ( I think). A farm in VA bisected by a road, one brother was a Yankee, the other a Rebel. A local history museum in IL with a tool owned by Linclon and a chance to write with a quill pen. Local food, some good, some not so good, but try it. Sitting outside a motel in Maggie Valley sharing some sweeet tea.
    Sorry, I ramble a lot.
    Drink a lot water, enjoy however you choose. Life is short.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Different miles for different roads

Where we live...the real Northern CA (about 350 miles north of S.F.) there is little else but two lane roads (4 lane in small areas) and mountains. We rode about 260 + miles Sunday inland...curves all the way on Hwy 36 to Hayfork, CA in the mountains and curves down to Hwy 299 and curves all the way back home. Not only was it hot...but we have REAL CURVES up here and up and down mountains and we were exhausted. We spent 2 1/2 hours at the event and the rest was riding or on the way to/from. 11 hour trip for us. SO JUST DO WHAT IS COMFORTABLE FOR YOU. We thought the trip to Spyderfest was real fun...can go fast...can go far...can go and go and stop many places. Some of our curves are 25 miles an hour...after living here 62 yrs. we know which ones we can take faster (even in a car) but still laugh at your inland ideas of curves.
    Have FUN!!!

Registered Users Grandpa Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Using the super slab 500 miles a day is our max stopping around every 110-120 miles. Off the super slab we do around 400-450 and that is a longer day stop every 100 miles. Everyone feels differently about it. A lot depends on your age and health. Mid 60s here.
    Last edited by Grandpa Spyder; 07-06-2013 at 04:59 AM.
    Grandpa Spyder 2015 F3S
    May God Bless All Of those Who Serve Our Country

Life is Good

Link to all of my Mods with pictures, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-with-pictures

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is a GREAT question to ask!
    That having been said; the answer will come directly from you...
    Pay attention to what your body and brain are telling you as the ride progresses.
    Start nice and early; 100 to 125 miles for fuel stops, stay hydrated, be well-rested at the start, and you'll find out what you're comfortable with...
    When I went to Springfield in April, I had no idea what I could do...
    We ended up with 4 600 plus mile days...
    I found that mental fatigue was more of an issue than physical discomfort...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that having a passenger along will make the miles pass easier. You have somebody to talk to; somebody to run and get snacks while the bike is being filled up, and somebody to share with!
    that will most certainly elevate your spirits!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

We routinely go 300 miles on day trips around the area and at the end of the day we are ready to relax. We did 525 two up to the OE and if you stay focused at getting to your goal it is ok. You need to stop often and stretch your muscles and hydrate and feed the Spyder. I was glad to have my LD Comfort shorts on that day. We split up the return trip to two days with each day about half way after all the fun of Maggie Valley we didn't want to push it.

JT

Spyder Garage

As you have gleaned from the replies, there is plenty of variation. The iron butt, experienced riders will do 1,000 or more, but it is neither practical nor comfortable for the majority of us...particularly if riding several days in a row. 200-400 seems to be a good place to begin. I know that's a wide range, but that is the reality of it. It is actually best to start with a day trip or two close to home to test your limits. Nancy and I will often do 500-700 a day to get where we are going on the freeway, but we have ridden a lot and know our limits. For a sightseeing trip on something like the Blue Ridge Parkway, we make 250-350 most days...sometimes less. Without any experience to guide you, I'd recommend setting a goal of 350-400, but allow for some variation...and leave an extra day or two in the schedule, just in case.
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just got back 2 weeks ago from a trip to WV. We went tank by tank with the Spyder but usually about 200 a day on back roads. We were on vacation no need to hurry. On the interstate highway mental fatigue is the biggest factor. When you are mentally tired your riding gets sloppy. We try not to ride to a schedule, it is vacation after all, so just enjoy yourself. Ride Safe!
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

As you have already read, there are lots of opinions..........just to add to the mix, here goes. If we just want to get from point A to point B we have done almost 700 mile days several times and as little as 350 miles days. If you figure averaging 50 miles per hour which includes, fuel stops, potty breaks, food stops, etc. you will be in the ballpark of how far you can travel. After you have been on the road for your trip you will get a better idea of what you can do! Happy traveling!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This is your 1st trip out....take it easy...you'll be excited....travel at your pace and stop about every100-130 miles for gas...what roads are you taking? basic point A to point B? If we had more info...we could help better ...................with that said I can travel long distance....have done over 1000 mile days 2-up on 2 wheels...not fun...basic travel days should be 300-400 mile day...you can smell the roses

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    As you have gleaned from the replies, there is plenty of variation. The iron butt, experienced riders will do 1,000 or more, but it is neither practical nor comfortable for the majority of us...particularly if riding several days in a row. 200-400 seems to be a good place to begin. I know that's a wide range, but that is the reality of it. It is actually best to start with a day trip or two close to home to test your limits. Nancy and I will often do 500-700 a day to get where we are going on the freeway, but we have ridden a lot and know our limits. For a sightseeing trip on something like the Blue Ridge Parkway, we make 250-350 most days...sometimes less. Without any experience to guide you, I'd recommend setting a goal of 350-400, but allow for some variation...and leave an extra day or two in the schedule, just in case.
    Please heed Scotty's advice. The amount you ride really depends on what you are wanting to get out of the ride, whether you have time constraints, etc. I for one hate time constraints. Consequently, I try to "make extra time" so that I can "smell the roses" when I ride.

I'm not saying that I don't enjoy the ride for what the ride is. Quite the contrare. I just love love love riding my spyder. However, I also enjoy seeing and experiencing God's creations as I enjoy my ride. This may entail many stops, taking pictures and just plain ole talking to the "locals".

To me riding is a two fold experience. However, you may have a different view.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Someone once told me that if you go further than one crease in a the road map in one day you are going too fast.

But honestly, I travel 3-400 miles per day on two lane roads and seems about right. I have travelled with friends on the interstate where we do 600 miles per day but I never go the point of travelling interstates with a motorbike or going that fast.

Spyder Garage

Default Miles miles and more miles...

As we always say, It's not a race. If time is limited we take the car you can't enjoy the ryde with the pressure of arriving on time. Now with time out of the question, I'll stress on the stopping and stretching and hydrating. We generally do this at fuel stops. Don't just gas up run in for a drink and fly out, take the time. If it is not a great place run up to the next rest or vista point. As for how many miles, you will find your own comfort zone as you ryde. Remember you will be doing it again the next day. You don't have to do the same amount every day to enjoy the trip this should be an option. As mentioned above you can google up places to stay as you approach them. Well this is the way we do it. Have a great trip..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

We usually average 700 mile days on the slab because most folks we want to see live in Missouri, and the middle of Missouri at that. When we are just fooling around, 200 mile roundtrips for lunch aren't unusual. We didn't set out for such endurance, it just happened to work out that way. We are doing an Ironbutt very soon ; Charleston SC to Beaumont TX, 1085 miles and through the bayou country of LA and TX. Oh, and 2 up on the RT, about 110 to 120 miles per tank which is about right for stretching and whatnot.
    2011 RTS 2006 Yamaha Morphous
    2017 F150 2015 MINI Cooper S IBA 56167

Spyder Garage

Default THANKS EVERYONE

Thank all of you for your input... So we're off to California and Spyders in the Redwoods!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

based on my abiliity and comfort level
    from having ridden for 46 yrs... I can
    do 450-500 per day. riding two up...
    we can do 300-350 a day with ease.
    water breaks are MANDATORY. output
    and intake. pee pee dance while riding
    is no fun and dehydration IS no
    fun

enjoy the scenery

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thank all of you for your input... So we're off to California and Spyders in the Redwoods!
    Have you checked the Washington board? My brother lives in Silverdale and I do believe he is going to SITR...his handle is Lil Rabbit'....or Bruce......there usually is a group going...

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Godspeed!
    -Scotty
    2011 Spyder RTS-SM5 (mine)
    2000 BMW R1100RTP, motorized tricycle & 23 vintage bikes
    2011 RT-622 trailer, Aspen Sentry popup camper, custom motorcycle trailer to pull behind the Spyder

Mutant Trikes Forever!