Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Cool Sway bar link just broke :(

I installed the Baha Ron sway bar and rode to Fla The bar works great but I just got back from a short ride w my daughter and heard a loud pop and sure as **** the plastic link on the right side is broke.. Am I gonna have any problems riding this back home to Michigan or should I get it fixed before I leave ??? There was a thread abt another guy who broke one too.. I tried to find the thread but couldn't .. If that guy could pm me and let me know what HARD PARTS ie steel replacements he used that would be great THX GUYS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Here's the link to the thread...
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ghlight=skyway

I would def. get that fixed before riding from FLA to Michigan. That would be one thrilling ride...

Spyder Garage

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike,P View Post
    I installed the Baha Ron sway bar and rode to Fla The bar works great but I just got back from a short ride w my daughter and heard a loud pop and sure as **** the plastic link on the right side is broke.. Am I gonna have any problems riding this back home to Michigan or should I get it fixed before I leave ??? There was a thread abt another guy who broke one too.. I tried to find the thread but couldn't .. If that guy could pm me and let me know what HARD PARTS ie steel replacements he used that would be great THX GUYS
    What year and model is your bike?
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A little bit of background information for the curious...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He has a 2013 RT per a previous post.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Anne!
    Rabtech is also on a 2013... is there something going on here that should be given closer scrutiny?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are the BajaRon bars overloading the Can Am links past their designed maximum load? Will an upgraded link be a necessary component as well when using Ron's bars?
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks Anne!
    Rabtech is also on a 2013... is there something going on here that should be given closer scrutiny?
    "Closer scrutiny?"

BRP clearly states in their warranty section that issues like this are a dealer problem. Unless or until they (BRP) deem otherwise.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks Anne!
    I would be concerned that someone replaced an engineered and tested 2013 sway bar system with one that might not have been tested to the same depth, especially considering the nanny system that is designed to counteract issues with the stock equipment. I am not bad mouthing the replacement bar, but what if someone was killed using that replacement bar? I agree that before I replace that piece of equipment, I would ensure it would not void my warranty or provide just cause for the insurance company to deny a claim.
    Last edited by diesel-dawg; 07-05-2013 at 05:50 PM.

"Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, Wherever You Are" (Jimmy Durante)
    2001 Valkryie Interstate with Lehman Trike
    2005 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe
    2006 Goldwing with Champion Trike
    2011 Harley Ultra Classic Tri Glide
    2013 Can-Am RT Limited

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just re-read the thread that is referenced here and Ron says that there had been several broken heim thingies in 2013s but the OP in the reference thread was the first with Ron's bar This guy here would make two with the bar that we know of
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

There have been a rash of broken Heim links on the 2013's with the stock sway bar. Now 2 broken links with my 2013 sway bars. 1 on an ST, 1 on an RT. This seems to be a 2013 problem and I suspect we may be looking at a quality control issue with the 2013 Spyder links.

My bars do, by design, put more stress on the links but the pre-2013's have had no issues.

I am working on a better Heim link but it won't be ready right away. RabTech has put together a steel fix that should work well.

The replacement links from BRP are about $15.00 each.

I highly recommend getting this link replaced. I have sent you a PM
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-05-2013 at 06:29 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

OK so we need to start checking the build dates on the bikes with this failure. Anyone who this has happened to please post your "Born on" date from the rear swing arm sticker/plate please

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Wonder how many it takes?

I wonder how many incident's it legitimately takes for BRP to start a product quality assurance investigation?

From the pictures posted the existing link assembly has a definite defect in either the design or design stress test results. Or the producing vendor has engineering manufacturing problems.

i can remember my Dad , he was a mechanic, replacing sway bar linkage repair kits where he worked. As a GM Dealer Parts department manager for a number of years I stocked only a couple sets period as they were a very slow mover but we would sell enough to warrant stockage.

Spyder Garage

Cool

I apologize if I did not make it clear that I don't think this has ANYTHING to do with Rons swaybar / PERIOD!! I was in the middle of a tight u turn = almost zero speed with my daughter on the back 100 pnds maybe.. I heard a loud pop and based on a previous post I figured it was a link and it was.. I remember putting the swaybar on and thinking WTF when I seen the plastic links... So now I have to see if I can come up w something before I leave for Michigan on Sunday

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see..!!

the 2013's had a sway bar modification. I ordered a set up with the fox shocks because I was told it would work on the 2012. The shocks are shorter and the bar much larger. I would venture a guess that they picked up on Ron's bar but may not have adjusted the mounting. jmo you can drive it that way but best get it fixed for the long drive...somewhere along the way just call ahead so they don't hold you up... Good luck be safe..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    the 2013's had a sway bar modification. I ordered a set up with the fox shocks because I was told it would work on the 2012. The shocks are shorter and the bar much larger. I would venture a guess that they picked up on Ron's bar but may not have adjusted the mounting. jmo you can drive it that way but best get it fixed for the long drive...somewhere along the way just call ahead so they don't hold you up... Good luck be safe..!!
    They either lied to you or the don't know what they are doing. There is no upgrade for the pre-2013 models. The is an upgrade (Fox Shocks and heavier Sway Bar) which will only fit the RS, ST, STS and ST Ltd. (The RSS comes with these components). The Fox shocks are a good move but the upgrade sway bar is only slightly stiffer and does not do much for the Spyder.

I hope you took everything back and got all your money refunded.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-05-2013 at 09:51 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good thing that we owners are talking (posting) and we can help each other.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

exhaust cracks in to...sway bar heim joint breaking....plus my problems...gas cap hot...gas spits out...sparks plugs white...running lean...melted brake cylinder..what else on these 13's

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I doubt BRP will call this a quality issue if there have been no broken links with STOCK bars. What the aftermarket does with their parts has no bearing on BRP's "as engineered" design parameters.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    There have been a rash of broken Heim links on the 2013's with the stock sway bar. Now 2 broken links with my 2013 sway bars. 1 on an ST, 1 on an RT. This seems to be a 2013 problem and I suspect we may be looking at a quality control issue with the 2013 Spyder links.

My bars do, by design, put more stress on the links but the pre-2013's have had no issues.

I am working on a better Heim link but it won't be ready right away. RabTech has put together a steel fix that should work well.

The replacement links from BRP are about $15.00 each.

I highly recommend getting this link replaced. I have sent you a PM
    I don't have a 2013, but was thinking. I believe I read that the links are the same on the 2013 as they are for prior years (2008 thru 2012), so maybe the problem is the new higher position of the shocks?
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    I doubt BRP will call this a quality issue if there have been no broken links with STOCK bars. What the aftermarket does with their parts has no bearing on BRP's "as engineered" design parameters.

There was one RT and one ST with the BajaRon swaybar that had the problem but there are several with the stock bar that have also had the problem. The problem is not the swaybar but the joint itself.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Not just the 2013

I too have a broken link and just got two replacements that I will be putting on this AM. I have Rons anti-Sway bar and elka shocks with the new top pcs. Mine is a 2011 and I think it may have been broken a while. I plan on trying the factory links, but if they break again I have a set up in metal and that will be the next step. I got the metal from a speed shop and they had lots to pick from.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    exhaust cracks in to...sway bar heim joint breaking....plus my problems...gas cap hot...gas spits out...sparks plugs white...running lean...melted brake cylinder..what else on these 13's
    How many plagues did Egypt have to endure, before Moses got the heck out of there?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    I don't have a 2013, but was thinking. I believe I read that the links are the same on the 2013 as they are for prior years (2008 thru 2012), so maybe the problem is the new higher position of the shocks?
    It has nothing to do with the shocks.

It is simply a matter of the stress exceeding the limits of the link. But since the 2013's use the same link as previous models, and since there have been almost zero problems with previous models (stock or custom sway bar installed) and since there have been several link failures with the stock 2013 sway bar, and since there seem to be quality control issues with other components on the 2013's, it appears that it is the link capabilities that are suspect in the specific cases where breakage has occurred.

If all of the links had the same stress limit then all would be fine or all would be breaking. At least on the RT's since they come stock with the stiffest sway bar and produce the highest amount of stress on these links. But even the ST's are having issues and the stock sway bar on this model is much weaker than on the RT's.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-06-2013 at 06:58 AM.