Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ron,
    A stray thought just landed in my empty head...
    Since the new shock angle makes them more resistant to leaning over due to lateral forces; could that lack of "give" in the system be what is causing the overload to the links?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    .....Since the new shock angle makes them more resistant to leaning over due to lateral forces; could that lack of "give" in the system be what is causing the overload to the links?
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelhelp View Post
    I too have a broken link and just got two replacements that I will be putting on this AM. I have Rons anti-Sway bar and elka shocks with the new top pcs. Mine is a 2011 and I think it may have been broken a while. I plan on trying the factory links, but if they break again I have a set up in metal and that will be the next step. I got the metal from a speed shop and they had lots to pick from.

...interesting that there is also a recent case where a link broke on a 2011 with the relocators but previously there was almost no link failures on the pre-13 models...
    Last edited by cjackg; 07-06-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike,P View Post
    I installed the Baha Ron sway bar and rode to Fla The bar works great but I just got back from a short ride w my daughter and heard a loud pop and sure as **** the plastic link on the right side is broke.. Am I gonna have any problems riding this back home to Michigan or should I get it fixed before I leave ??? There was a thread abt another guy who broke one too.. I tried to find the thread but couldn't .. If that guy could pm me and let me know what HARD PARTS ie steel replacements he used that would be great THX GUYS
    Mike, if you get the chance call me at 423-552-3720.

Thanks!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Time to Re-group

Me thinks it may be time for everyone to fall back a step or two and re-group our thoughts. There maybe a problem with the BRP vendors plastic fiber links anf it just may have been a freaking single or double event.

I talked to my Dealer's Service Manager this morning about he subject and he went on line to some secret BRP database that is on line and did a search and came up with one incident that they are aware of at this time.

If Ron's bar is or is not at fault I am quite sure he is aware and working at coming up with a good cure for the out of warranty Spyder owners. That is the American way, turn an unfortunate incident into a product improvement part and market it. That is capitalism in its prime and I see nothing wrong with that philosophy.

What we need guidance on is how to detect if our individual Spyders are at risk and what to do as a result should we be driving down the road when one lets go, POP! I know what I would do, first thing is pull off the road, get over the shakes, inspect my Spyder as best I could at the time, break out a bottle of water, sit down and scream as loud as I could "AWE SHOOT!" Then get on the cellphone and come up with a Plan A & B and start my rescue/recovery operation.

As I understand from reading the previous 2 pages of commentary what is needed is the model year, model # and date of manufacture at this point and all of these are available from the label affixed to the left rear trailing arm. I suppose it would be a benefit to the new owners to have the above information to help folks like Ron compile their needed information and the dealers to do their jobs of keeping our Spyder's on the road. But I don't really anticipate a problem as my Spyder is a 2011 RTL SE-5.
    Last edited by Bob Ledford; 07-06-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Bad links

[QUOTE=Bob Ledford;652420]Me thinks it may be time for everyone to fall back a step or two and re-group our thoughts. There maybe a problem with the BRP vendors plastic fiber links anf it just may have been a freaking single or double event.

I talked to my Dealer's Service Manager this morning about he subject and he went on line to some secret BRP database that is on line and did a search and came up with one incident that they are aware of at this time.

If Ron's bar is or is not at fault I am quite sure he is aware and working at coming up with a good cure for the out of warranty Spyder owners. That is the American way, turn an unfortunate incident into a product improvement part and market it. That is capitalism in its prime and I see nothing wrong with that philosophy.

It's the new geometry or its defective links. Mine broke with the stock bar!! And a new link has been on back order for 2.5 weeks. So don't tell me BRP only knows of one. I had been riding mine for weeks with it broken. It felt a little soft which is why I was installing Ron's bar when I saw the broken link. I'm still putting in the custom bar but will go to steel links when they come out. Who ever heard of using plastic major suspension parts. Even my sons toy four wheeler has metal suspension parts.

Spyder Garage

Default Link

[QUOTE=Oklahoma Spyder;652482][QUOTE=Bob Ledford;652420

It's the new geometry or its defective links. Mine broke with the stock bar!! And a new link has been on back order for 2.5 weeks. So don't tell me BRP only knows of one failure. I had been riding mine for weeks with it broken. It felt a little soft which is one reason i was installing Ron's bar when I saw the broken link. I'm still putting in the custom bar but will go to steel links when they come out. Who ever heard of using plastic major suspension parts. Even my sons toy four wheeler has metal suspension parts.[/QUOTE]

Again

Spyder Garage

Talking

Okie Spyder. fwiw - some dealers have a minimum order limit and wait till they have reached that before ordering. Not saying that is your case, nor am I accusing your dealer of anything. Simply something to be aware of. We've heard of dealers saying it's on back order when in fact it had not been ordered yet.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Okie Spyder. fwiw - some dealers have a minimum order limit and wait till they have reached that before ordering. Not saying that is your case, nor am I accusing your dealer of anything. Simply something to be aware of. We've heard of dealers saying it's on back order when in fact it had not been ordered yet.
    I have to agree with you there. I know it happens. But in this case they aren't kidding. This is what the parts listing shows.

26 706200671 Tie Rod Not Available

Here is my theory... Take it for what it's costing you.

BRP knows there is a problem with this latest batch of 'Tie Rods' (don't know why in the world they are called this but there you go). Anyway, finding that there is a rash of breakage, they don't want to send bad product out so they take them 'Off the Shelf' so to speak, until they can figure out what's up and get some better parts in.

2nd theory... There are so many of these needing to be replaced that it exhausted BRP's supply. You have to think this part has not been a huge mover since we've only heard of a few breaking in the last 5 years. So, BRP probably did not have a big supply of them on hand to start with. Probably little more than was needed for production of new Spyders.

Spyder Garage

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I have to agree with you there. I know it happens. But in this case they aren't kidding. This is what the parts listing shows.

26 706200671 Tie Rod Not Available

Here is my theory... Take it for what it's costing you.

BRP knows there is a problem with this latest batch of 'Tie Rods' (don't know why in the world they are called this but there you go). Anyway, finding that there is a rash of breakage, they don't want to send bad product out so they take them 'Off the Shelf' so to speak, until they can figure out what's up and get some better parts in.

2nd theory... There are so many of these needing to be replaced that it exhausted BRP's supply. You have to think this part has not been a huge mover since we've only heard of a few breaking in the last 5 years. So, BRP probably did not have a big supply of them on hand to start with. Probably little more than was needed for production of new Spyders.
    Well folks. Looks like it's time to start riding like Grandma.......

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

My ride is a 2013 Spyder RTS SE5 with BajaRons' excellent sway bar installed. My Heim Link has not broken. However, after reading these posts I examined my links to see what was going on. My RTS was parked in my garage. What I found was that both links, left and right, had twists in the black plastic part of the links. The left link was actually twisted almost 90 degrees and looked like an "S". This is not supposed to happen. The black plastic portion should remain stable and the metal "swivel" portion of the link should turn. I do not know why the left one had not already broken. I took both links off the Spyder and found that the swivel part was locked on both ends. This means that I could not turn them with my hands. I then inserted a screw driver and was able with right much force to make them move. They should move easily with your fingers. So, I lubricated the swivel with oil first, and then grease. After that, they move reasonably easily with my fingers. I reinstalled the links on my Spyder, and took it for a ride. Everything performed as expected, and I returned to my garage. I then looked at the links and both were not twisted, as they should be. I believe the heim link may be defective, in that the metal swivel does not move freely inside the plastic portion of the link. The problem has nothing to do with BajaRon's excellent sway bar. My 2 cents worth.

Registered Users JJW SpyderRider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Huddleston View Post
    My ride is a 2013 Spyder RTS SE5 with BajaRons' excellent sway bar installed. My Heim Link has not broken. However, after reading these posts I examined my links to see what was going on. My RTS was parked in my garage. What I found was that both links, left and right, had twists in the black plastic part of the links. The left link was actually twisted almost 90 degrees and looked like an "S". This is not supposed to happen. The black plastic portion should remain stable and the metal "swivel" portion of the link should turn. I do not know why the left one had not already broken. I took both links off the Spyder and found that the swivel part was locked on both ends. This means that I could not turn them with my hands. I then inserted a screw driver and was able with right much force to make them move. They should move easily with your fingers. So, I lubricated the swivel with oil first, and then grease. After that, they move reasonably easily with my fingers. I reinstalled the links on my Spyder, and took it for a ride. Everything performed as expected, and I returned to my garage. I then looked at the links and both were not twisted, as they should be. I believe the heim link may be defective, in that the metal swivel does not move freely inside the plastic portion of the link. The problem has nothing to do with BajaRon's excellent sway bar. My 2 cents worth.
    Good find! Sounds like the heim link is stiff as as the ball joints.

RT-S: HMT brake light, mud flap lights/turn signals, Trailer hitch, Garmin 660 GPS, Ride-On, Travel cover, LED Mirror turn signals, LED trunk lighting, RGB ground effect lighting, BajRon anti-sway bar, to be continued ......

Member of the WSR (Woodstock Spyder Riders)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That certainly DOES seem possible...
    Huddleston:

Spyder Garage

Default Got me thinking, check it and all is good

After reading dozens of posts on the sway bar plastic pieces breaking, I thought I should check mine. I have Baja Ron's sway bar and Elkas and shock relocators on my 2012 RT/LTD, I found nothing broken or twisted. I am an aggressive rider and like to push my RT to the max. So far everything is grand on my RT. The 14k service checked out excellent on it, the tech was impressed with all the new mods for the steering and suspension that I had added. Hoping that those with these problems get them resolved in a good and safe manner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    That certainly DOES seem possible...
    Huddleston:
    All I know is what I saw on my machine. After that, please keep me forever synonymous lest I besmirch your reparations.

Spyder Garage

It is important to keep our issues properly separated into their respective baskets.

The pre-2013 Spyders (both RS and RT models) have suffered few, very few link problems, with OEM or Custom sway bars. And there are quite a few of these that have run thousands of miles trouble free.

It is the 2013's (all models) that are seeing elevated levels of link breakage. I am not sure it is an epidemic, but the fact that BRP has no replacement parts is not a good omen, short term. This was unexpected, I'm sure, for BRP and it certainly has taken me by surprise.

But we are not all in the same boat here so make sure you have your ducks and your chickens separated.

Spyder Garage

Ron,

in your opinion, will the shock relocators have any effect on the breaks?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    Ron,

in your opinion, will the shock relocators have any effect on the breaks?
    No.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

May I ask why?