Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNur View Post
    So in other words, the Spyder engines are way under powered?
    You keep posting this comment everywhere... and are apparently refusing to listen to others' advice; all the while, adhering to your misguided beliefs and wishes... as if you are going to change anything by doing so.

It is becoming more and more apparent you need a low-end torqued machine, because you are never going to be convinced of how you should be operating your Spyder.

It appears fairly consistently; those who complain most about "power" operate their Spyders as if they are a Harley v-twin or a Goldwing. Thankfully, a Spdyer is not either of those.

I currently own a Harley Ultra and a Spdyer RTS. I enjoy each for what they are, but for certain... I do not try to make one operate like the other.

My lawnmower runs at a fairly high rpm, without any low-end torque. Haven't considered putting a v-twin it is yet though.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Others have replied, but a picture is worth a 1000 words, so here we go....Do you see what I see?
    Speed.JPG
    At the 1:35 mark, the cluster reads100 kph (62mph) at 6500 RPMs and 3rd gear. Listen to the sound of the engine at that RPM. It loves it and begging for more. It's far from gutless. The shifts sound smooth and no valves knocking as you have referenced in other posts.
    Speed2.JPG
    Fast forward to 2:48 and now the cluster reads 55kph (34mph) at 3000 RPMs and 4th gear. You can hear the engine struggle to accelerate. It continues to struggle until almost 4000 RPMs where it seems to come to life again. The Spyder loves RPMs. There's no way around it.

You can keep but the fact remains, the machine is what it is and can run great if the person operating it allows it too.
    Last edited by MidLifeCrisis; 07-04-2013 at 07:37 PM.

Very Active Member MidLifeCrisis's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I never said anything about valves knocking. Go back and read that post. The comment concerned "engine knocking" when or if using a lower octane fuel. I asked how anyone can hear the engine knock what with the loud exhaust and engine noise.
    Your right. I remembered that incorrectly. I always ride with ear plugs, but seem to hear everyone else bikes, cars and trucks more than the Spyder engine when on the road. Can't argue this one with you. It's tough to know what someone hears or doesn't hear. It's tough to know how good ear plugs are working. Perhaps you prefer to ride without them. Theres no way for us to really know.

People on this forum have been beyond nice and have offered countless solution, to which you've only argued regardless of the subject. For some there just is no fix and nothing's good enough. Most on this forum have given up on helping you and have too much self respect to keep on going the rounds with you. I should be doing similarly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

You'll eventually just 'feel' it when it's the right time to shift.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    You'll eventually just 'feel' it when it's the right time to shift.

That's only after you finally figure out when it IS the right time to shift...

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Isn't that a question or maybe there's some other symbol to use for asking a question?

Oh, and my lawn mower has a straight four cylinder engine in it and a five-speed tranny. Can't drive it on the highways, but it's still fun to use. The windshield mounts don't break, there are no gas leaks or odors, and the gas doesn't boil in the tank. The gas cap, by the way, never heats up to the point I can't remover it from the filler neck. As for the anti-sway bar, never broke a mount, and the darn thing never went into "Limp Back To The Machine Shed" mode.

A few more morsels for you to chew on Dave...

I didn't ask any questions. I merely made statements. So again... you seem to be very confused.

That is a nice list of things that occasionally have been reported to go wrong on a Spyder. You have done your homework.

However, apparently you did not see Bob's list of issues for the GW.

And... I just found out that GW's have been known to have boiling fuel problems for years. Better check their websites Dave.

Oh my... GW's boil gas!! Ummm... what are you going to say now Dave?

Last edited by Illinois Boy; 07-06-2013 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Added another morsel for the troll...

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2017 HD Ultra Limited

Spyder Garage

Nope.

This is easy! I like this game. Next silly question please!
    tHe SmOkEr YoU dRiNk ThE pLaYeR yOu GeT!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    If you want to figure what speed that is at, glance at the speedometer. Keep in mind that it also depends on the terrain and how hard you are working the engine. Cruising along at 3,500 rpm at 35 mph in 3rd gear may be OK on a flat road with no passenger or trailer, but the engine will struggle at that rpm on hills, riding two-up, or towing. The peak performance of the Spyder engine doesn't kick in until 5,000 rpm or above. Once you experience what the engine really has to offer, you may not want to ever short shift it again. From 5K to the redline it runs very nicely!
    I have a 2010 RS with a Hindle exhaust and notice that running it at 4000 RPMs cruising, its a bit loud but rides so great. I'm sure that must be normal but wanted to ask.... i'm a new Spyder owner and loving it but want to make sure with the Hindle exhaust i should expect it to be a louder sounding ride.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black