Spyder Garage

Default In lieu of the Block Off Plate...for heat deflection

I have a bad right leg due to Vietnam. Heat aggravates it tremendously. Baker Built Air Wings was kind enough to mold me an Air Wing Deflector, according to my specs. I had them make one side to extend to and overlap the Tupperware. The other end of the wing is open to deflect heat. The block off plate was causing my engine to overheat...so I removed it. Here are some pictures.

The deflector is held tight to the Tupperware with wide white Velcro. These same pictures are in my album if you want to get larger look at the pictures.

Ken
    Last edited by diesel-dawg; 07-03-2013 at 07:27 AM.

"Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, Wherever You Are" (Jimmy Durante)
    2001 Valkryie Interstate with Lehman Trike
    2005 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe
    2006 Goldwing with Champion Trike
    2011 Harley Ultra Classic Tri Glide
    2013 Can-Am RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Love the heat shield idea

Diesel Dawg, This is perfect for me. I want the same thing for my black RT. Can you contact me with information on how to get one? Thanks very much.
    Just me and my black baby;

Spyder Garage

I would be interested in one too. Can you let us know how much it was and if they are available. Thanks.

2012 Spyder RT Limited
    Guardian Bell (gift from son)
    Spyderpops bumpskid
    ISCI hand brake
    BajaRon Anti-Sway Bar
    BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sometimes the most commons sense solutions are the most simple ideas. Looks like this is a good one.

SL #7026
    VBA #652
    HOG #3935417
    2011 Viper-Red Spyder RT SE5 & Trailer
    2017 HD Ultra Limited
    Former Rides: 2014 HD Ultra Limited; '04 Kawa Nomad; '09 HD Ultra-Classic; and many Hondas through the years.
    Spyder Newbies Do's & Do Not's: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

Hey guys,
    If you have an interest in this deflector, you need to contact Baker Built Air Wings, a sponsor on this site. This is the first one they built and it was to my specs. I can't tell you if they will build another or what the cost will be, now that they have a pattern to follow...so my cost would not accurately depict the cost for someone else to buy.

My suggestion is that you contact them via phone and mention that they just recently built the deflector for the Spyder Radiator heat for Ken Drennan. The lady that you should talk to is Brooke (800-451-9464). She normally answers the phone. Dale is office manager and he is the one that agreed to build the deflector for me (Dale@BakerBuilt.com).

What I initially did was to purchase the SpyderPops block off plate. Then I bought a set of leg air wings from Baker Built. However, the block off plate was causing me run too hot. So, I asked Baker Built to build the deflector to replace my right side wing only, since I already had the hardware already installed for the normal leg air wings.

Let me know how it works out for you.

Regards,
    Ken

Spyder Garage

Curious as to what year Spyder you have and if you removed the bottom plate?

Cruzr Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Curious as to what year Spyder you have and if you removed the bottom plate?

Cruzr Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Joe, I have a new 2013 RT Limited. I did not remove the bottom plate because I was told the bottom plate on the 2013 is different to remove and I did not want to open that up. I think the reflector is a better idea for my purposes. During the winter, I can install the normal leg wing and have the heat pushed toward my leg.

Ken

"Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, Wherever You Are" (Jimmy Durante)
    2001 Valkryie Interstate with Lehman Trike
    2005 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe
    2006 Goldwing with Champion Trike
    2011 Harley Ultra Classic Tri Glide
    2013 Can-Am RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Default Heat deflector

Quote Originally Posted by diesel-dawg View Post
    Hey guys,
    If you have an interest in this deflector, you need to contact Baker Built Air Wings, a sponsor on this site. This is the first one they built and it was to my specs. I can't tell you if they will build another or what the cost will be, now that they have a pattern to follow...so my cost would not accurately depict the cost for someone else to buy.

My suggestion is that you contact them via phone and mention that they just recently built the deflector for the Spyder Radiator heat for Ken Drennan. The lady that you should talk to is Brooke (800-451-9464). She normally answers the phone. Dale is office manager and he is the one that agreed to build the deflector for me (Dale@BakerBuilt.com).

What I initially did was to purchase the SpyderPops block off plate. Then I bought a set of leg air wings from Baker Built. However, the block off plate was causing me run too hot. So, I asked Baker Built to build the deflector to replace my right side wing only, since I already had the hardware already installed for the normal leg air wings.

Regards,
    Ken
    Will this work if you have the Spyder Web floor boards installed?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ken
    on finding a workable solution for your bike!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Baker Built RT air flow mods...

Quote Originally Posted by diesel-dawg View Post
    Hey guys,

Regards,
    Ken
    Has anyone done any followup on using this mod? Sounds kinda interesting with the recent discussions that closing off the Spyder airflow with blockoff plates may not be the best approach...